Asus A8V-E Deluxe Memory Issues

Hi,

I have recently bought 1 Gb (2x512) of Ram for my comp, this will go
with a previous stick of 512Mb, The origional stick was made by Hynix
and the new pair are Corsair. These are all supported by my Asus A8V-E
Deluxe Motherboards.

Each memory stick runs fine in a pair or on their own, however when i
add a third one into either spare slot it won't load at all and just
returns me a repeated beeping.

Last time i got a beeping like that was when i initially put the
memory in the wrong slot. Why now when adding a third memory stick
does it do it again, whatever the combination?

Please help feedback would be appriciated as rather baffled,

Spiceymeat :?

"Spiceymeat" <mako_113@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have recently bought 1 Gb (2x512) of Ram for my comp, this will go
> with a previous stick of 512Mb, The origional stick was made by Hynix
> and the new pair are Corsair. These are all supported by my Asus A8V-E
> Deluxe Motherboards.
>
> Each memory stick runs fine in a pair or on their own, however when i
> add a third one into either spare slot it won't load at all and just
> returns me a repeated beeping.
>
> Last time i got a beeping like that was when i initially put the
> memory in the wrong slot. Why now when adding a third memory stick
> does it do it again, whatever the combination?
>

> Please help feedback would be appriciated as rather baffled,
>
> Spiceymeat :?

The memories must the same CAS latency.
There is no indication that 3 DIMMs can be used. It mentions 1 or 2 or 4.
JPS

GlimmerMan

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2004

I have exactly the same mobo. If you are getting a beeping noise then
youve got a bios beep code happening. go to
www.bioscentral.com, identify your bios and listen to the
beeps. Go to the relevent bios beep codes on the site and check what
the problem is. One thing iv found with this mobo is that the RAM has
to be indenticle and must be in a particle place in orer for it to
work. Read through the manual to check out what configurations to
use.

> There is no indication that 3 DIMMs can be used. It mentions 1 or 2
or 4.

I took your advise about it not being able to take 3 DIMMs, so i took
a stick from my other computer to give it 4 x 512Mb (2Gb) of RAM,
this ment the system stopped beeping and ran, however when i loaded
windows and checked the system tab it told me that i only had 1Gb of
RAM even though there are 4 RAM sticks in the computer. I know all of
the DIMMs are working as when individually entered the computer is
fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks Spiceymeat

Spiceymeat wrote:
>>There is no indication that 3 DIMMs can be used. It mentions 1 or 2
>
> or 4.
>
> I took your advise about it not being able to take 3 DIMMs, so i took
> a stick from my other computer to give it 4 x 512Mb (2Gb) of RAM,
> this ment the system stopped beeping and ran, however when i loaded
> windows and checked the system tab it told me that i only had 1Gb of
> RAM even though there are 4 RAM sticks in the computer. I know all of
> the DIMMs are working as when individually entered the computer is
> fine.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks Spiceymeat

Yeah, try reading the manual. Change the bios settings perhaps.
Some of the MB's are tricky with this. It can alos mean that you have
mismatching Mem. In which case try running the 3/4 sticks by themselves
in where 1/2 are slotted. If they work it may be a bios setting.

muttley

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

>> There is no indication that 3 DIMMs can be used. It mentions 1 or 2
> or 4.
>
> I took your advise about it not being able to take 3 DIMMs, so i took
> a stick from my other computer to give it 4 x 512Mb (2Gb) of RAM,
> this ment the system stopped beeping and ran, however when i loaded
> windows and checked the system tab it told me that i only had 1Gb of
> RAM even though there are 4 RAM sticks in the computer. I know all of
> the DIMMs are working as when individually entered the computer is
> fine.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks Spiceymeat

Hi,

You need to have four IDENTICAL sticks of RAM to have ANY chance of it
working and recognising/using all of the fitted RAM...
ie. All sticks are the same brand, speed, CAS latency, and timings......

YMMV..

Cheers,

John S.

muttley

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

> "Spiceymeat" <mako_113@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>>> There is no indication that 3 DIMMs can be used. It mentions 1 or 2
>> or 4.
>>
>> I took your advise about it not being able to take 3 DIMMs, so i took
>> a stick from my other computer to give it 4 x 512Mb (2Gb) of RAM,
>> this ment the system stopped beeping and ran, however when i loaded
>> windows and checked the system tab it told me that i only had 1Gb of
>> RAM even though there are 4 RAM sticks in the computer. I know all of
>> the DIMMs are working as when individually entered the computer is
>> fine.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks Spiceymeat

Hi,

I'll amend that....

You need to have four IDENTICAL sticks of RAM to have the best chance of it
working and recognising/using all of the fitted RAM...
ie. All sticks are the same brand, speed, CAS latency, and timings......

You may get away with having the two sticks in each pair identical, but
there's no guarantee that the board's BIOS will be able to cope with
different timings for each pair. Also, you would have to be sure that you
have the sticks paired up correctly in the correct slots..

YMMV..

Cheers,

John S.

Thaks for all your help, I didnt realisee that i had to buy 1,2 or 4
DIMMs for this motherboard as i have known others to run with 3, ah
well.

I think i will save my spare DIMM till i need an upgrade and i will
buy another then to get my 4, thanks.