Can a Linksys hub hook up multiple PC to Earthlink interne..

I'm trying to hook up two PC to Earthlink Internet access.
I hook a Linksys hub, called Linksys 5-port Workgroup Hub,
to the Toshiba cable modem - Model#DAZ8813F - from
Earthlink/Time Warner. Then I hook the two PC to the
Linksys hub. But only one of them works at any given time.
The task-bar message I get for the disconnected one is "the
connection is limited or down", something close to that.

Before I've used the same Linksys hub to hook up multiple PC
to Verizon DSL and Adephia Cable internet services. The hub
would just grab its IP and work automatically. I know they
all said "use a router", but this hub worked.

Earthlink is not giving any support as long as one PC is
connected to the Internet. Can any one of you help or give
some ideas please? Do I really need to fork out for a
router?
8 answers Last reply
More about linksys hook multiple earthlink interne

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 23:54:27 GMT, ruthless
    <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote:

    >I'm trying to hook up two PC to Earthlink Internet access.
    >I hook a Linksys hub, called Linksys 5-port Workgroup Hub,
    >to the Toshiba cable modem - Model#DAZ8813F - from
    >Earthlink/Time Warner. Then I hook the two PC to the
    >Linksys hub. But only one of them works at any given time.

    The typical situation there is that your ISP only gives you
    one (WAN) IP address so whichever PC gets it, is the only
    one that can use THAT account.

    Typically what one does in this situation is get a router.
    The router is a *computer" which, like the one PC did, gets
    the sole account IP address, then all others don't actually
    access the internet (the WAN), only accessing the router
    which itself accesses the internet.

    >The task-bar message I get for the disconnected one is "the
    >connection is limited or down", something close to that.
    >
    >Before I've used the same Linksys hub to hook up multiple PC
    >to Verizon DSL and Adephia Cable internet services. The hub
    >would just grab its IP and work automatically. I know they
    >all said "use a router", but this hub worked.

    Hubs can't grab IPs... never, not possible.
    Perhaps you were using internet connection sharing (which is
    also, still an option now instead of the router) OR your
    former ISPs allowed multiple simultaneous connections-
    something many of them used to do but almost all started
    limiting this a few years ago, requiring extra fees if not
    an entire/full 2nd account.

    >Earthlink is not giving any support as long as one PC is
    >connected to the Internet. Can any one of you help or give
    >some ideas please? Do I really need to fork out for a
    >router?

    You should want a router. It's more secure, eliminates the
    need to have any particular PC turned on for any other to
    connect, consumes no PC resources & doesn't rely on Windows
    or software (ignoring it's firmware). Further, these days
    you can get wifi routers for about $10-20 after rebate
    depending on how picky you are for a particular model or
    advanced feature sets (features you haven't had yet and have
    expressed no need for like packet inspection and specific
    filtering), a very good deal for this upgradability to wifi.

    In summary, most people can't use (only) a hub to connect
    multiple PCs to their ISP simultaneously... now you can't
    either. Use ICS or get the router... the router is well
    worth the $10.

    What's a good wireless router? I have only $100 for the
    router and two adapter cards for the two computers.

    "ruthless" <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote in message
    > What's a good wireless router? I have only $100 for the
    > router and two adapter cards for the two computers.

    How $19 AMIR sound?
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=33-127-143&DEPA=5

    > On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 00:10:12 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 23:54:27 GMT, ruthless
    > ><ruthless@xoss.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I'm trying to hook up two PC to Earthlink Internet access.
    > >>I hook a Linksys hub, called Linksys 5-port Workgroup Hub,
    > >>to the Toshiba cable modem - Model#DAZ8813F - from
    > >>Earthlink/Time Warner. Then I hook the two PC to the
    > >>Linksys hub. But only one of them works at any given time.
    > >
    > >The typical situation there is that your ISP only gives you
    > >one (WAN) IP address so whichever PC gets it, is the only
    > >one that can use THAT account.
    > >
    > >Typically what one does in this situation is get a router.
    > >The router is a *computer" which, like the one PC did, gets
    > >the sole account IP address, then all others don't actually
    > >access the internet (the WAN), only accessing the router
    > >which itself accesses the internet.
    > >

    > >>The task-bar message I get for the disconnected one is "the
    > >>connection is limited or down", something close to that.
    > >>
    > >>Before I've used the same Linksys hub to hook up multiple PC
    > >>to Verizon DSL and Adephia Cable internet services. The hub
    > >>would just grab its IP and work automatically. I know they
    > >>all said "use a router", but this hub worked.
    > >

    > >Hubs can't grab IPs... never, not possible.
    > >Perhaps you were using internet connection sharing (which is
    > >also, still an option now instead of the router) OR your
    > >former ISPs allowed multiple simultaneous connections-
    > >something many of them used to do but almost all started
    > >limiting this a few years ago, requiring extra fees if not
    > >an entire/full 2nd account.
    > >

    > >>Earthlink is not giving any support as long as one PC is
    > >>connected to the Internet. Can any one of you help or give
    > >>some ideas please? Do I really need to fork out for a
    > >>router?
    > >
    > >You should want a router. It's more secure, eliminates the
    > >need to have any particular PC turned on for any other to
    > >connect, consumes no PC resources & doesn't rely on Windows
    > >or software (ignoring it's firmware). Further, these days
    > >you can get wifi routers for about $10-20 after rebate
    > >depending on how picky you are for a particular model or
    > >advanced feature sets (features you haven't had yet and have
    > >expressed no need for like packet inspection and specific
    > >filtering), a very good deal for this upgradability to wifi.
    > >
    > >In summary, most people can't use (only) a hub to connect
    > >multiple PCs to their ISP simultaneously... now you can't
    > >either. Use ICS or get the router... the router is well
    > >worth the $10.

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:08:55 GMT, ruthless
    <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote:

    >What's a good wireless router? I have only $100 for the
    >router and two adapter cards for the two computers.

    Most of them are fine for the basic functionality you
    express the need for. Popular makes at good price-points
    (depending on what rebates are currently offered) would
    include D-Link, Netgear, or Linksys. The Belkins seem to
    have perpetual rebates but IMO, are cheaper units with worse
    interface.

    Since you have the systems connected to the hub already, you
    must already have network adapters (and cable?). Simply
    swap in the router in place of the hub and connect modem to
    it. Set PCs to use DHCP autoconfig for TCP/IP and you
    should be set... you don't need the adapter cards and since
    you have the cabling should continue using it, as it's far
    faster than wifi (presuming it's 100Mb). Even 802.11g "2x"
    proprietary wifi connections are (in use, actual throughput)
    significantly slower than wired 100Mb. Think of the wifi as
    future potential for a laptop or remote system where you
    dont' have wires or can't get wires strung.

    You cannot use a HUB to do what you want to do. You need a 4-port ROUTER,
    such as Linksys makes.

    --
    DaveW

    > I'm trying to hook up two PC to Earthlink Internet access.
    > I hook a Linksys hub, called Linksys 5-port Workgroup Hub,
    > to the Toshiba cable modem - Model#DAZ8813F - from
    > Earthlink/Time Warner. Then I hook the two PC to the
    > Linksys hub. But only one of them works at any given time.
    > The task-bar message I get for the disconnected one is "the
    > connection is limited or down", something close to that.
    >
    > Before I've used the same Linksys hub to hook up multiple PC
    > to Verizon DSL and Adephia Cable internet services. The hub
    > would just grab its IP and work automatically. I know they
    > all said "use a router", but this hub worked.
    >
    > Earthlink is not giving any support as long as one PC is
    > connected to the Internet. Can any one of you help or give
    > some ideas please? Do I really need to fork out for a
    > router?

    He can if his ISP will issue an additional ip address.

    > You cannot use a HUB to do what you want to do. You need a 4-port ROUTER,
    > such as Linksys makes.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "ruthless" <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm trying to hook up two PC to Earthlink Internet access.
    > > I hook a Linksys hub, called Linksys 5-port Workgroup Hub,
    > > to the Toshiba cable modem - Model#DAZ8813F - from
    > > Earthlink/Time Warner. Then I hook the two PC to the
    > > Linksys hub. But only one of them works at any given time.
    > > The task-bar message I get for the disconnected one is "the
    > > connection is limited or down", something close to that.
    > >
    > > Before I've used the same Linksys hub to hook up multiple PC
    > > to Verizon DSL and Adephia Cable internet services. The hub
    > > would just grab its IP and work automatically. I know they
    > > all said "use a router", but this hub worked.
    > >
    > > Earthlink is not giving any support as long as one PC is
    > > connected to the Internet. Can any one of you help or give
    > > some ideas please? Do I really need to fork out for a
    > > router?

    Yes, and, IIRC, Earthlink Time-Warner does not issue multiple IPs at a
    single home address.

    ruthless wrote:
    > I'm trying to hook up two PC to Earthlink Internet access.
    > I hook a Linksys hub, called Linksys 5-port Workgroup Hub,
    > to the Toshiba cable modem - Model#DAZ8813F - from
    > Earthlink/Time Warner. Then I hook the two PC to the
    > Linksys hub. But only one of them works at any given time.
    > The task-bar message I get for the disconnected one is "the
    > connection is limited or down", something close to that.
    >
    > Before I've used the same Linksys hub to hook up multiple PC
    > to Verizon DSL and Adephia Cable internet services. The hub
    > would just grab its IP and work automatically. I know they
    > all said "use a router", but this hub worked.
    >
    > Earthlink is not giving any support as long as one PC is
    > connected to the Internet. Can any one of you help or give
    > some ideas please? Do I really need to fork out for a
    > router?

    Most ISPs will issue only one WAN IP per cable modem. Additional IPs may be
    purchased.

    As others in this thread have suggested, part with a few dollars and get a
    router. Most folks are best served with a wired router capable of SPI.

Homebuilt Linksys Systems