Xp thinks my DVD is a CD-Rom Drive ?? any ideas.

Just bought a Pionerr 109. And i have been having a few probs with it.
No burning probs. Burns like a son of a bitch :)

But At the momment it thinks its a CD rom and it wont even play cds or
dvds. And i just burn a CD VCD with it a few hours ago :(

I was thinking of the cable iam using its on the same cable as my Cd
burner. So iam thiking Xp is getting confused. So iam going to
disconnect the burner and see if thats the case. If it is ill use
another cable and put that on IDE 2 by its self.

I think that would do it. What are your recomendations ?

Thanks.

/ps What grade/type of cable should i use with a dvd burner ?

WHatever the pin types are for ide cables.

Grendel

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002

"Paul GoodBar" <1@abc.com> wrote in message

> Just bought a Pionerr 109. And i have been having a few probs with it.
> No burning probs. Burns like a son of a bitch :)
>
> But At the momment it thinks its a CD rom and it wont even play cds or
> dvds. And i just burn a CD VCD with it a few hours ago :(
>
> I was thinking of the cable iam using its on the same cable as my Cd
> burner. So iam thiking Xp is getting confused. So iam going to
> disconnect the burner and see if thats the case. If it is ill use
> another cable and put that on IDE 2 by its self.
>
> I think that would do it. What are your recomendations ?
>
> Thanks.
>

> /ps What grade/type of cable should i use with a dvd burner ?
>
> WHatever the pin types are for ide cables.

This seems like a quite common problem. I searched around for this myself
and the main conclusion is lack of power in the system. To test it, I
disconnected all peripherals (printer, scanner, other hard drives, made sure
the monitor was powered via a plug, not from the base unit) and it solved
it. So I upgraded the power supply to a 500W and everything has been fine
since.

So, try disconnecting everything apart from your main hard drive and the
burner and see if that works. If so, you might consider getting a new power
supply.

Grendel.

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:46:26 +1000, Paul GoodBar <1@abc.com>
wrote:

>Just bought a Pionerr 109. And i have been having a few probs with it.
>No burning probs. Burns like a son of a bitch :)
>
>But At the momment it thinks its a CD rom and it wont even play cds or
>dvds. And i just burn a CD VCD with it a few hours ago :(

Did you install a DVD software player?
Your drive can read and write to those types of discs but
that doesn't necessarily mean *anything* else can use any
particular content you might put on that media.

>I was thinking of the cable iam using its on the same cable as my Cd
>burner. So iam thiking Xp is getting confused. So iam going to
>disconnect the burner and see if thats the case. If it is ill use
>another cable and put that on IDE 2 by its self.
>
>I think that would do it. What are your recomendations ?

Didn't the player come with DVD player software or was it
bare/OEM packaged?

>/ps What grade/type of cable should i use with a dvd burner ?
>
>WHatever the pin types are for ide cables.

I don't think it's a cabling issue at all but if you really
want to replace the cable anyway, it's an ATA66 drive IIRC,
so get an 80-conductor ATA133 (or ATA66, ATA100) cable in
your choice of flat or round. Again, it's not at all likely
to be the cable given that it's working fine to burn discs.

Never installed any Software that came with it. Also i did a full
format and reinstll of Xp a few days ago. So NO software was in the
registery.

Ive got a 400w powersupply so i don't think thats the problem i can
open the drive just fine the lights come on as well. Though i did
install a new 6600 Gt videocard. And that used a molex plug to give it
the extra power it needs. But that should only take morepower when
playing a game ?

I know i saw a Watage website where you can choose what you have it it
tells your your system watage needed ? Anyone know that url ?

ill do it my way seperate IDEs and make each one master. If that fixes
it the cables might be fine :)

Thanks for the help.

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:48:35 +1000, Paul GoodBar <1@abc.com>
wrote:

>Never installed any Software that came with it. Also i did a full
>format and reinstll of Xp a few days ago. So NO software was in the
>registery.

Well if you want to watch DVD or VCD you might consider
it...

>Ive got a 400w powersupply so i don't think thats the problem i can
>open the drive just fine the lights come on as well. Though i did
>install a new 6600 Gt videocard. And that used a molex plug to give it
>the extra power it needs. But that should only take morepower when
>playing a game ?

New video card will quite likely use more power all the
time, though certainly a lot more when gaming than not.

It is best to use the power cable for the video card to only
power it, not using any of the other connectors on it for
other devices. This is a cable and/or connector issue more
than a wattage issue.

>I know i saw a Watage website where you can choose what you have it it
>tells your your system watage needed ? Anyone know that url ?

Not so sure one of those will help because most drastically
overrate the wattage a system will need. Regardless, Google
search for "power supply calculator" and you'll get about 5
of the most popular ones on the first page of search hits.

>ill do it my way seperate IDEs and make each one master. If that fixes
>it the cables might be fine :)

Yes ideally it is best to have every device alone on it's
cable... until you run out of spots to do that.
Again, since the drive burns ok it seems that it's function
is fine, but if you want to focus on power too, note the
bios health monitor's reported voltages and take readings
with a multimeter at the back of the ATX power connector
while system is running.

I had one cable connected to the Power Plug on my 6600 Gt, and the
same cabled connected to my DVD burner. I would take that as a NO NO.

FOr some reason when ever i place a DVD or RW DVD in the drive it
switches to a CD Rom yet it is stilla DVD. And i can use it as one.

I'am only using maybe 330 watts out of my 400, so i don't think that
was the prob. Iam using a Zalman 400w powersupply so thats a quality
one.

For now nero Sees my drive and i do to, so ill take it as a victory
and leave it wanting to be a cdrom. if it works Cdrom it will be :)

Thanks.

> I had one cable connected to the Power Plug on my 6600 Gt, and the
> same cabled connected to my DVD burner. I would take that as a NO NO.
>
> FOr some reason when ever i place a DVD or RW DVD in the drive it
> switches to a CD Rom yet it is stilla DVD. And i can use it as one.
>
> I'am only using maybe 330 watts out of my 400, so i don't think that
> was the prob. Iam using a Zalman 400w powersupply so thats a quality
> one.
>
> For now nero Sees my drive and i do to, so ill take it as a victory
> and leave it wanting to be a cdrom. if it works Cdrom it will be :)
>
> Thanks.

When you say " FOr some reason when ever i place a DVD or RW DVD in the
drive it
switches to a CD Rom yet it is stilla DVD.", what are you looking at that
says it's a cd rom?

If it's Windows Explorer, that happens to a lot of dvd burners and you
shouldn't worry about it. If you right click in Explorer on the drive, you
will see a property tab that will tell you it's a dvd burner.

As long as you can still use it as a dvd burner, just ignore Explorer.

I think iam fine. Its a nice 400w Zalman. Quality man. No need for me
to worry :)

And if the Fuse blows all i have to do it replace it. Done it before.

Thanks.

/ps not on the Zalam. That purrs a long.

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:45:16 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:48:35 +1000, Paul GoodBar <1@abc.com>
>wrote:
>

>>Never installed any Software that came with it. Also i did a full
>>format and reinstll of Xp a few days ago. So NO software was in the
>>registery.
>
>Well if you want to watch DVD or VCD you might consider
>it...
>

>>Ive got a 400w powersupply so i don't think thats the problem i can
>>open the drive just fine the lights come on as well. Though i did
>>install a new 6600 Gt videocard. And that used a molex plug to give it
>>the extra power it needs. But that should only take morepower when
>>playing a game ?
>
>New video card will quite likely use more power all the
>time, though certainly a lot more when gaming than not.
>
>It is best to use the power cable for the video card to only
>power it, not using any of the other connectors on it for
>other devices. This is a cable and/or connector issue more
>than a wattage issue.
>

>>I know i saw a Watage website where you can choose what you have it it
>>tells your your system watage needed ? Anyone know that url ?
>

>Not so sure one of those will help because most drastically
>overrate the wattage a system will need. Regardless, Google
>search for "power supply calculator" and you'll get about 5
>of the most popular ones on the first page of search hits.
>

>>ill do it my way seperate IDEs and make each one master. If that fixes
>>it the cables might be fine :)
>
>Yes ideally it is best to have every device alone on it's
>cable... until you run out of spots to do that.
>Again, since the drive burns ok it seems that it's function
>is fine, but if you want to focus on power too, note the
>bios health monitor's reported voltages and take readings
>with a multimeter at the back of the ATX power connector
>while system is running.

Yeah was lookign at explorer. Says Cd-rom when i put the DVD in. Says
DVD-RW Drive when nothing is inthe drive :)

Maybe MicroScum will make a hotfix ?

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:42:42 +1000, Paul GoodBar <1@abc.com>
wrote:

>Yeah was lookign at explorer. Says Cd-rom when i put the DVD in. Says
>DVD-RW Drive when nothing is inthe drive :)
>
>Maybe MicroScum will make a hotfix ?

Honestly, I hope they spend their time on more important
flaws than that... it's only cosmetic while there are plenty
of other ways windows could be improved more.

Yeah only problem i think nero looks to explorer. And when i put a DVD
-rw in the drive the drive disapears in nero ?

I redid the cabling andnow cd-rw and dvd-r rw are now on master and
serperate cables. they were before but now the DVD is master.

Seems to be working.

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:01:53 +1000, Paul GoodBar <1@abc.com>
wrote:

>Yeah only problem i think nero looks to explorer. And when i put a DVD
>-rw in the drive the drive disapears in nero ?

Often Nero needs updated to work with newer drives... even
when it's the version bundled WITH that drive it can need
it.

Never used the bundled version. Not sure whats newer mine or the
bundled version.

I love technology. Gives me somthing to do figurung it all out :p

Thanks.

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 05:02:19 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:01:53 +1000, Paul GoodBar <1@abc.com>
>wrote:
>

>>Yeah only problem i think nero looks to explorer. And when i put a DVD
>>-rw in the drive the drive disapears in nero ?
>>

>Often Nero needs updated to work with newer drives... even
>when it's the version bundled WITH that drive it can need
>it.

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:46:26 +1000, Paul GoodBar <1@abc.com> wrote:

>Just bought a Pionerr 109. And i have been having a few probs with it.
>No burning probs. Burns like a son of a bitch :)
>
>But At the momment it thinks its a CD rom and it wont even play cds or
>dvds. And i just burn a CD VCD with it a few hours ago :(
>
>I was thinking of the cable iam using its on the same cable as my Cd
>burner. So iam thiking Xp is getting confused. So iam going to
>disconnect the burner and see if thats the case. If it is ill use
>another cable and put that on IDE 2 by its self.
>
>I think that would do it. What are your recomendations ?

I have seen this from time to time, and like you, there have been no burning
problems. I think it's sloppy BIOS programming by the motherboard or DVD
manufacturer. Me? I don't worry about it as long as everything works.

-- Bob

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Install the software that came with it, then re-install Nero, this happened
to my TDK burner, but installing the software that comes with it seems to
make a registery key, so that Explorer gets it right.
:) have fun!