Hard drive

Hi all,

Assuming money is no object what do you peeps suggest is the best (fastest)
Hard Drive around.
Must be IDE and have a capacity of at least 80MB.

Cheers

Mark
6 answers Last reply
More about hard drive

    Mark wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Assuming money is no object what do you peeps suggest is the best (fastest)
    > Hard Drive around.
    > Must be IDE and have a capacity of at least 80MB.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Mark

    i suggest you look at seagate

    "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Mark wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Assuming money is no object what do you peeps suggest is the best
    >> (fastest) Hard Drive around.
    >> Must be IDE and have a capacity of at least 80MB.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Mark
    > i suggest you look at seagate

    i second that

    either them or Western Digital

    if you had SATA i would have set go for 2 74GB Western digital Raptors and
    set em up in a RAID 0

    Mark wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Assuming money is no object what do you peeps suggest is the best (fastest)
    > Hard Drive around.
    > Must be IDE and have a capacity of at least 80MB.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Mark

    Flatout speed, the Maxtor Diamond Max 10 series with the 16MB cache is
    worth consideration. It's PDQ, but it's loud and I question the
    reliability over the long haul. Anything making that much noise is
    probably not going to last. I'm biased though, my experience with Maxtor
    has not been as good as WD, and my experience with WD has not been
    anywhere near as good as Hitachi/IBM.

    I suggest Hitachi, one of their 8MB cache models. If you get the ones in
    the larger capacities they aren't that far off from WD-Raptors on most
    benchmarks and they run a lot cooler, and are probably the quietest
    drives you will ever own. They may not be quite as fast as the Diamond
    Max 10 in certain benchmarks, in most others they exceed it or it's so
    close as to not make any real world difference.

    HDS722525VLAT80 / 7K250

    250GB, and priced very nicely. Don't be put off that is only ATA-100 as
    you wont see any real world advantages with ATA-133.

    HDS724040KLAT80 / 7K400

    400 GB and priced a bit steep. Large, fast, quiet, but runs a bit
    warmer. They also make a 500GB flavor with an ATA-133 interface (or
    SATA-II) 7K500.

    And if cost is an object...

    HDS722512VLAT80 / 7K250 based.

    120GB and plenty fast.

    SATA is probably the way to go these days, but you wont be disappointed
    with these, and when you do go SATA in the future they make a 250GB SATA
    that screams for a 7200RPM drive.

    Ive got a 120gig SATA Hitchi and very happy with the speed. And as of
    yet it has not died or given me any reason to think it will.

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:33:47 +0000 (UTC), "Mark" <no@thanks.com> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Assuming money is no object what do you peeps suggest is the best (fastest)
    >Hard Drive around.
    >Must be IDE and have a capacity of at least 80MB.

    74gb WD Raptor, hands down. Yea, it's a little smaller than 80gb, but the
    speed is worth it.

    -- Bob

    Bob Adkins wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:33:47 +0000 (UTC), "Mark" <no@thanks.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>Assuming money is no object what do you peeps suggest is the best (fastest)
    >>Hard Drive around.
    >>Must be IDE and have a capacity of at least 80MB.
    >

    > 74gb WD Raptor, hands down. Yea, it's a little smaller than 80gb, but the
    > speed is worth it.
    >
    > -- Bob

    They don't make an EIDE Raptor, only Sata models as far as I know. I'm
    assuming he is asking about IDE because his machine doesn't have SATA.

Homebuilt Hardware Hard Drives Systems