mark

Hi all,

Assuming money is no object what do you peeps suggest is the best (fastest)
Hard Drive around.
Must be IDE and have a capacity of at least 80MB.

Cheers

Mark

Philo

Mark wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Assuming money is no object what do you peeps suggest is the best (fastest)
> Hard Drive around.
> Must be IDE and have a capacity of at least 80MB.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark

i suggest you look at seagate

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Mark wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Assuming money is no object what do you peeps suggest is the best
>> (fastest) Hard Drive around.
>> Must be IDE and have a capacity of at least 80MB.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mark
> i suggest you look at seagate

i second that

either them or Western Digital

if you had SATA i would have set go for 2 74GB Western digital Raptors and
set em up in a RAID 0

Mark wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Assuming money is no object what do you peeps suggest is the best (fastest)
> Hard Drive around.
> Must be IDE and have a capacity of at least 80MB.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark

Flatout speed, the Maxtor Diamond Max 10 series with the 16MB cache is
worth consideration. It's PDQ, but it's loud and I question the
reliability over the long haul. Anything making that much noise is
probably not going to last. I'm biased though, my experience with Maxtor
has not been as good as WD, and my experience with WD has not been
anywhere near as good as Hitachi/IBM.

I suggest Hitachi, one of their 8MB cache models. If you get the ones in
the larger capacities they aren't that far off from WD-Raptors on most
benchmarks and they run a lot cooler, and are probably the quietest
drives you will ever own. They may not be quite as fast as the Diamond
Max 10 in certain benchmarks, in most others they exceed it or it's so
close as to not make any real world difference.

HDS722525VLAT80 / 7K250

250GB, and priced very nicely. Don't be put off that is only ATA-100 as
you wont see any real world advantages with ATA-133.

HDS724040KLAT80 / 7K400

400 GB and priced a bit steep. Large, fast, quiet, but runs a bit
warmer. They also make a 500GB flavor with an ATA-133 interface (or
SATA-II) 7K500.

And if cost is an object...

HDS722512VLAT80 / 7K250 based.

120GB and plenty fast.

SATA is probably the way to go these days, but you wont be disappointed
with these, and when you do go SATA in the future they make a 250GB SATA
that screams for a 7200RPM drive.

Ive got a 120gig SATA Hitchi and very happy with the speed. And as of
yet it has not died or given me any reason to think it will.

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:33:47 +0000 (UTC), "Mark" <no@thanks.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Assuming money is no object what do you peeps suggest is the best (fastest)
>Hard Drive around.
>Must be IDE and have a capacity of at least 80MB.

74gb WD Raptor, hands down. Yea, it's a little smaller than 80gb, but the
speed is worth it.

-- Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:33:47 +0000 (UTC), "Mark" <no@thanks.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>Assuming money is no object what do you peeps suggest is the best (fastest)
>>Hard Drive around.
>>Must be IDE and have a capacity of at least 80MB.
>

> 74gb WD Raptor, hands down. Yea, it's a little smaller than 80gb, but the
> speed is worth it.
>
> -- Bob

They don't make an EIDE Raptor, only Sata models as far as I know. I'm
assuming he is asking about IDE because his machine doesn't have SATA.