Did Tom do his homework on printers?

o0oSPuNKiEo0o

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2001
I just feel like I have to comment on the printer article the other day that I read between the printers. I work as a rep for Lexmark so just let me share what I know.

The industry standard for printing speeds isn't really a standard, but let me explain. Most companies do there printing speed ratings at 15% page coverage for black and 5% page coverage for color. Epson, HP and Lexmark all use this. Cannon doesn't. They use 1500 characters for there speed ratings and something similar for their color ratings. So they end up using 11.75% page coverage for black and 3.75% page coverage for color. On top of that There's a res that they do these tests on. Cannon and HP use 300 by 300; Epson uses 180 by 180; and Lexmark uses 600 by 300. Plus you have to take in account that the ink cartages are also gauged at these numbers. Like the Lexmarks get 1100 pages black and 800 Pages color on draft mode (well atleast that's what I'm told). If draft mode for the Lexmarks are at 600x300; HP's and Cannons are at 300x300; and Epsons are at 180x180 which really have more ink? Plus you have to think sense Lexmark and HP's cartages have the print heads built into the cartages they don't have to worry about cleaning cycles like the epsons and the Cannons do. Because Cannon has semi-permanent and Espson has permanent print heads they do lots of cleaning to keep the print heads clean like Tom did say. But the print heads on the Cannons S600 do have to be replaced even though Cannon reps say then don't. According to their tech support once a year is how often. The price is $67 bucks off of their website. You need to calculate that into the cost of the ink for the cannons as well as the cleaning. At least the Cannons can be replaced! The Epsons can't be with out a tool kit and experience. So I'm not sure but I'm taking a guess they do go through more cleaning cycles then Cannons do. With the HP's you also need to add in the fact them come with half full cartages, where as everyone else comes with full cartages I think. Lexmarks also can print 2400x1200 on any paper and color. Did you know that HP's max black res is 600x600 and cannon is at 600x1200? Lexmarks can also print at 2400x1200 on regular paper. HP and Cannon print at 1200x1200 on regular paper and need photo paper to get to 2400x1200. Lexmarks because of the Accu-Feed paper handling system can auto adjust to print up to 150 pound paper where as the HP's can only print up to 60 pound paper. Plus the Epsons (c80 and C60) print at 2880X720. That’s 40% lower res then everyone else at 2400x1200 (2880x720=2.08 million DPI where 2400x1200 2.88 million DPI an 800,000 dot loss!). They may say they have the smallest dot size (3 pico-liters) but if you can place 40% more dots in the same area that doesn't even matter. I mean if you want the best photo and you don't care about the ink I'd say the Cannon S800 because it has the smallest dot size at the highest res and also uses six color printing like the Lexmarks can. It just costs you $300 (us) for the printer where you can get the Lexmark for $130 (us) and just use the cartage when you'd like to. That way you don't use the photo inks for regular printing. But of course I am a little bias on this because I do rep Lexmark. But everything I've said is TRUE to my knowledge. If you want to add comments with out flaming I would be happy to read them!!!

TY SIRS!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by o0ospunkieo0o on 12/18/01 02:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Hi ¡§o0ospunkieo0o¡¨,

I'm Vincent, the guy that made the tests.
First, excuse me for the mistakes I'm going to do in my answer, I'm French.

Then, talking about resolutions and specifications is fine. The fact is that all printers have been tested in the same conditions. And when you print B&W texts in default mode, Canon¡¦s printers are the best in quality. You can use a loupe, the letters are better defined than on others printers. When there is color, HP Deskjets are the bests because of the quality of their colors, very deeps, very faithful. And it¡¦s quit the same in draft mode.

About the way manufacturers calculate the speed. There, we have different news. I received the documents that they really use. And they are very different. It¡¦s impossible to compare them even if they all use 1500 characters. One time, the police used will be smaller, another time it will be in CAPS. Every one use a document that is optimized to give the biggest speed possible. That¡¦s why I use my own documents and that I do tests to evaluate the max speed of the engine, in draft mode, with B&W texts, with color texts, with graphics and with photos.

About heads printing. I think I talk a lot about it. I really think there was no need to explain more, all that you remember is already in my paper in several places, like on this page:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/consumer/01q4/011212/inkjet-32.html

About Canon ant the S600, I¡¦m sorry but I must correct your idea: heads should be change after 3 years. Out if you really print a lot (like 500 pages per month). But in this case, the S600 will still be one of the best choices you can do, thanks to their very low costs per page (same than S630).

About the photo quality on regular paper. Sorry, but you certainly know that Lexmark¡¦s printers are better in 1200 dpi rather in 2400 dpi. That last mode is really horrible on regular paper. That¡¦s why other manufacturer preferred to reduce the resolution.

Then you criticize Epson and their Stylus Photo. I really don¡¦t care about the official resolutions. I just need quality. And if you compare the 810¡¦s photo prints with the ones of a z53 used with the photo cartridge, Epson wins. If you look at the capabilities of the printer to print a lot of different nuances, Epson wins again. You can¡¦t see the dots; there are no additional dots of magenta in the yellow to make it brighter, etc. But the 810 is slow. And it¡¦s another problem.

Now, you may think I try to destroy Lexmark. But no. I don¡¦t know Lexmark US but I know well their French division. They often call me about my tests: you guess this paper is not my first on the subject. It¡¦s just my first on Tomshardware, and certainly not my least ƒº

Please don¡¦t hesitate to answer me, I was very happy to red your remarks. If you think something more should be done to better test these printers, please tell me.

Vincent Alzieu
vincent@tomshardware.fr

o0oSPuNKiEo0o

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2001
Well I'm glad you responded. I do like Toms Hardware on lots of reviews and I'm sorry that you don't think the printers aren't as good as Cannon. But I use it and see the pics it prints out on and that I've printed out and I think it does great on color. In my article I was just trying to point out how the printer manufactures don't really show there true speed as you proved in your tests. I know you didn't mean to slam Lexmark it just came off that way. I'm glad you keep an open mind and not just judge on brands because that would be unfair. Besides that keep the testing coming I guess!

David

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Well, moving from an old Lexmark Z11 to a Canon S600, text and colour photo qualtiy improved tremendously!!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

o0oSPuNKiEo0o

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2001
I know that's for sure! I'm not 100% sure but isn't the Z11 600x1200 res? Where as the cannon S600 is 2400x1200. Of course you're going to see an improvement! LOL. Also I was thinking about the speed ratings the other day again. If you were doing tests for speed and you used the lowest setting the I know your results will be off. I know the Lexmarks lowest res they print at is 600x300, cannons and Hp's is 300x300. Epson is 180x180. You can't say one printer is faster than the other on these tests because they're printing a lot less. That's like saying hey this Mobo best this Mobo but the one that won was using 2ns memory and the other was using 3.8ns memory or This Hard drive is faster even though it sends less data on it's tests then the one that's slower. 600x300 res is 180000 DPI where as 300x300 is 90000 and 180x180 is 32400. If the test printers are printing half and many dots on the speeds tests than Lexmark then yes there's going to be faster on their lower res. Did you do all the print tests on 600x300 for HP and Cannon because I've seen with my own eyes, like you have saying Lexmarks photos aren't very good, that the Z53 is faster than the Espson C80 on black text.

This is the link to the Pic that they pinted. When I look at this I really don't see this -> "They tend to be too red and the blues lack tone" I think it's comparable with any other photo printer out there.

http://www4.tomshardware.com/consumer/01q4/011212/images/lexmark_z53_photo.jpg

I'm not saying it's not slow on full size sheets because it is. But We don't lie and say we get 12 pages a min. We get our ratings 16 ppm black and 8 ppm color on 600x300 15% page coverage on black and 5% page coverage on color.

Also I may rep Lexmark but I'm not doing this because they payed/want me to.. I'm doing this because I would like to defend the printers because no one else is. So if you're mad at me yell at me and not call someone at Lexmark asking them why I'm trying to show people Lexmark isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

TY SIRs
David

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by o0ospunkieo0o on 12/22/01 10:57 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The Z11's min resolution is 300*600, 600*600 standard, 1200*1200 max. It's max ppm is 4 black, 2.5 colour. Seriously, you can't compare printed pictures with a digital photo. I need to see it in reality to compare. All Lexmarks do 600*600 at standard resolution, I believe. So does the Canon S series and the HPs. I believe that's how it was tested in Tom's Hardware. I have learned that advertised speeds mean nothing!! Most people will be printing at standard resolution so that is most important. At 600*600, the S630, followed by the S600 is one of the fastest personal ink jets available. The S630 is a slightly faster version of the S600. While the S600 is rated 15ppm, the S630 is rated 17ppm. That's the only difference, as far as I see. From experience, I found my Lexmark Z11 to be a good text and simple clipart image printer but not good at recreating photos.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor