Trouble with Linksys Firewall

Ryckeee

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2003
Hello,
I just picked up a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router w/ 4 Port Switch (Model No. BEFSR41 ver. 2) to setup a small little Home Network and am having a great deal of trouble trying to play multiplayer games over the internet. I read somewhere in the manual that the Router does have an internal firewall but there is no way to turn it off to allow me to connect with other gamers. I have visited the linksys.com website as well and tried digging up some answers there but none of their solutions worked for me.

So far I have tried using the DMZ host feature by entering my IP Address off of "ipconfig" in DOS but that didnt work. I might have did it wrong, the support page on Linksys is kind of skimpy and doesnt acess matters with great detail. Can anyone help me open up a port or setup a DMZ host correctly on my router so I can play some games? This router is causing me more grief than pleasure :(.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
you did the DMZ host part correctly. Did you try repowering the router afterwards to see if that helped? Also did you double check the IP address of the PC to see if it got a different DHCP lease?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

In windows networking set a static ip adress. or specify a IP adress.192.168.1.???.

set your gateway to 192.168.1.1. the default lan side of your router.
Set your DNS servers to your ISP #s.

Now the easiest way is to set your comp up as DMZ, but this dissables all firewall protection on that comp.

The next solution is to forward the required ports for your game. Plus a few more for direct play games.

Some modems also have somewhat of a built in firewall. If yours does then the DMZ is the only option unless your ISP and modem supports using the modem as a bridge and allowing the router to negotiate connection.

I aint signing nothing!!!