Screwed-up USB2 ports

Owner

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I have a home-built system with a MSI K7T266 mobo running Win XP SP1. 512
Megs, RAID Drives.

When I plug an external HDD into a USB 2.0 port, the system will either not
recognize it or I get the BSD. I've installed
the SP2 USB upgrades. On smaller USB devices, like scanners, and even
pocket drives, do OK sometimes, and at other times plugging in a pocket
drive will BSD. Microsoft help is no help.

I've checked and the USB Mass Storage drivers (USBSTOR.SYS and USBSTOR.INF)
files are intact and in the correct places.
If I try the USB 1.1 ports the same thing happens. I have updated the mobo
BIOS to the most recent.

Does anyone have a clue what I should do next ?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:41:37 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
I have stood on the shoulder of giants owner@broadcast.fm wrote :

>I have a home-built system with a MSI K7T266 mobo running Win XP SP1. 512
>Megs, RAID Drives.
>
>When I plug an external HDD into a USB 2.0 port, the system will either not
>recognize it or I get the BSD. I've installed
>the SP2 USB upgrades. On smaller USB devices, like scanners, and even
>pocket drives, do OK sometimes, and at other times plugging in a pocket
>drive will BSD. Microsoft help is no help.
>
>I've checked and the USB Mass Storage drivers (USBSTOR.SYS and USBSTOR.INF)
>files are intact and in the correct places.
>If I try the USB 1.1 ports the same thing happens. I have updated the mobo
>BIOS to the most recent.
>
>Does anyone have a clue what I should do next ?

Have you tried the drive on another system?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Is this MB using VIA chipset ? If it does try installing the VIA 4in1
drivers

Den Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:41:37 +0000, skrev owner:

> I have a home-built system with a MSI K7T266 mobo running Win XP SP1. 512
> Megs, RAID Drives.
>
> When I plug an external HDD into a USB 2.0 port, the system will either not
> recognize it or I get the BSD. I've installed
> the SP2 USB upgrades. On smaller USB devices, like scanners, and even
> pocket drives, do OK sometimes, and at other times plugging in a pocket
> drive will BSD. Microsoft help is no help.
>
> I've checked and the USB Mass Storage drivers (USBSTOR.SYS and USBSTOR.INF)
> files are intact and in the correct places.
> If I try the USB 1.1 ports the same thing happens. I have updated the mobo
> BIOS to the most recent.
>
> Does anyone have a clue what I should do next ?

is this a 3.5" drive? then the USB-box probably need external power too.

JohnS

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> When I plug an external HDD into a USB 2.0 port, the system will either
> not
> recognize it or I get the BSD.

Administrative tools / Computer Management / Disk Management
and enable the drive. Also, USB2 for some reason doesn't
load the driver ??? Why, I don't know. Go to My Computer
Properties / Hardware ... and see if there is a yellow thing
with missing drivers. Just tell it to upgrade the driver, but
it is already available locally, so don't go to the net. That
will get USB2 going.

johns

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Just a thought, but I had that problem with a brand spanking new IBM laptop,
the cure was to use another USB port, it then worked!

I then used the XP disk manager,(Administrative tools / Computer Management
/ Disk Management), to assign it a drive letter, then it also worked in the
first USB port.
Strange but true.