Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

How do you clone or change the partition size on SATA drives when connected
to the Adaptec sata controller?

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Note, ghost and drive image can not do it, due to being dos based, and the
Adaptec only having xp and Linux drivers.

"pete" <petefa@petefa.f2s.com> wrote in message
> How do you clone or change the partition size on SATA drives when
> connected to the Adaptec sata controller?

dos

Ghost and drive image don't size partitions.

> Note, ghost and drive image can not do it, due to being dos based, and the
> Adaptec only having xp and Linux drivers.
>
> "pete" <petefa@petefa.f2s.com> wrote in message
> > How do you clone or change the partition size on SATA drives when
> > connected to the Adaptec sata controller?

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

you can extend the partion with drive image 2002., I would say that is
resizing, no?
"doS" <kobo65@hotREmoveThismail.com> wrote in message
> Ghost and drive image don't size partitions.
>
> "pete" <petefa@petefa.f2s.com> wrote in message
>> Note, ghost and drive image can not do it, due to being dos based, and
>> the
>> Adaptec only having xp and Linux drivers.
>>
>> "pete" <petefa@petefa.f2s.com> wrote in message
>> > How do you clone or change the partition size on SATA drives when
>> > connected to the Adaptec sata controller?

dos

You want to extend or create?
You need partition magic.

> you can extend the partion with drive image 2002., I would say that is
> resizing, no?
> "doS" <kobo65@hotREmoveThismail.com> wrote in message
> > Ghost and drive image don't size partitions.
> >
> > "pete" <petefa@petefa.f2s.com> wrote in message
> >> Note, ghost and drive image can not do it, due to being dos based, and
> >> the
> >> Adaptec only having xp and Linux drivers.
> >>
> >> "pete" <petefa@petefa.f2s.com> wrote in message

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Does partion magic have to boot to dos?

> You want to extend or create?
> You need partition magic.
>
> "pete" <petefa@petefa.f2s.com> wrote in message
>> you can extend the partion with drive image 2002., I would say that is
>> resizing, no?
>> "doS" <kobo65@hotREmoveThismail.com> wrote in message
>> > Ghost and drive image don't size partitions.
>> >
>> > "pete" <petefa@petefa.f2s.com> wrote in message

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Let me explain,
I install XP on to a Sata drive, set it up the way I want it, with all the
software I want.
To install XP on this Sata drive, I have to press F6 to install the Adaptec
driver and off it goes.
I then want to clone this to another Sata drive, to put into another pc.
But, once out of XP, dos can not see the Sata drives!

> Does partion magic have to boot to dos?
>
> "doS" <kobo65@hotREmoveThismail.com> wrote in message
>> You want to extend or create?
>> You need partition magic.
>>
>> "pete" <petefa@petefa.f2s.com> wrote in message
>>> you can extend the partion with drive image 2002., I would say that is
>>> resizing, no?
>>> "doS" <kobo65@hotREmoveThismail.com> wrote in message

dos

To begin with, unless the pcs are exactly the same, it wont boot anyway.
What file system are you using.

> Let me explain,
> I install XP on to a Sata drive, set it up the way I want it, with all the
> software I want.
> To install XP on this Sata drive, I have to press F6 to install the
Adaptec
> driver and off it goes.
> I then want to clone this to another Sata drive, to put into another pc.
> But, once out of XP, dos can not see the Sata drives!
>

> "pete" <petefa@petefa.f2s.com> wrote in message
> > Does partion magic have to boot to dos?
> >
> > "doS" <kobo65@hotREmoveThismail.com> wrote in message
> >> You want to extend or create?
> >> You need partition magic.
> >>
> >> "pete" <petefa@petefa.f2s.com> wrote in message

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Yes the PC's are exactly the same, and they both boot when this is done on
IDE drives.
I have tried both NTFS and FAT32, it makes no difference if the drives can
not be seen.

In article <d4ehth$nfs$1@news.freedom2surf.net>, pete says...
> Let me explain,
> I install XP on to a Sata drive, set it up the way I want it, with all the
> software I want.
> To install XP on this Sata drive, I have to press F6 to install the Adaptec
> driver and off it goes.
> I then want to clone this to another Sata drive, to put into another pc.
> But, once out of XP, dos can not see the Sata drives!

For simple drive cloning, there is plenty of software to do this from
within Windows. Even using XCOPY from a DOS Box will allow you to do
it.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

The Sata drives can not be seen fron dos, due to the Adaptec controller only
having a XP driver.

In article <d4g01m$47l$1@news.freedom2surf.net>, pete says...
> The Sata drives can not be seen fron dos, due to the Adaptec controller only
> having a XP driver.

DOS box from within Windows????? THats what I was on about. If you
can't figure that out then I suggest you find someone with half a clue
to do the cloning for you.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

If YOU had half a brain, you should be able to understand that a Dos box
does not work!
Why?
Because the PC, HAS to reboot to start drive Image or Ghost, BANG, that Dos
box has gone.

It shows that you are just "trying" to look smart, when in fact, you are
just guessing.
Leave it to someone who, "knows and has had the experience", it will save
you from looking very, VERY silly.
Doh!

Apart from your stupid comment, thank you for your non-help, but I have now
found a way that works.

If you would like to know how, just ask and I will explain it in very simple
terms, just so that you may understand.

You can not educate someone to be an idiot, they are born that way!
P.P

> In article <d4g01m$47l$1@news.freedom2surf.net>, pete says...
>> The Sata drives can not be seen fron dos, due to the Adaptec controller
>> only
>> having a XP driver.
>>
> DOS box from within Windows????? THats what I was on about. If you
> can't figure that out then I suggest you find someone with half a clue
> to do the cloning for you.
>

> --
> Conor
>
> "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

dos

You seem to know all the answers to have so many questions.

> If YOU had half a brain, you should be able to understand that a Dos box
> does not work!
> Why?

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

I know now, I didn't when I asked.
When you ask for some help, you do not expect insults or stupid comments,
but help.
Suggestions are great, perhaps a more detailed reply would help?
After explaining many times, that Dos will not work, in this situation, the
last thing I need is someone suggesting a Dos box and implying that I am
thick!
How helpful is that?
LOL
Like I have said, there is a very simple answer, that does not use Dos, but
XP.
I hope there are more helpful people in this group.

In article <d4gqd9$d4u$1@news.freedom2surf.net>, pete says...
> You are the moron, Xcopy has a problem with short file name aliases, did you
> not know this?

Never had an issue with it. THats what longfilenamebackup is for.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Look on Google, you will see a lot of infomation about Xcopy, it does not
work correctly.

BTW
The Answer to my original question was to use MigrateEasy, from Acronis.
This can resize any partition and clone hard drives, even automatically
resize the partion on the old and new drives.
Best of all, it was free on a cover disk, from a Personal Computer world mag

Have a nice day!
Pete
:)

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 12:30:54 +0100, "pete" <petefa@petefa.f2s.com>
wrote:

>The Sata drives can not be seen fron dos, due to the Adaptec controller only
>having a XP driver.
>
>"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> In article <d4ehth$nfs$1@news.freedom2surf.net>, pete says...
>>> Let me explain,
>>> I install XP on to a Sata drive, set it up the way I want it, with all
>>> the
>>> software I want.
>>> To install XP on this Sata drive, I have to press F6 to install the
>>> Adaptec
>>> driver and off it goes.
>>> I then want to clone this to another Sata drive, to put into another pc.
>>> But, once out of XP, dos can not see the Sata drives!
>>>
>> For simple drive cloning, there is plenty of software to do this from
>> within Windows. Even using XCOPY from a DOS Box will allow you to do
>> it.
>>
>> --
>> Conor
>>
>> "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

If i remember correctly, those Adaptec SATA controllers use Silicon
Image chipsets so its possible there are dos level drivers out there
for it.

Why don't you just buy Drive Image 2002 or Acronis True Image? Both
products should allow you to make an image and transfer one drive to
another. Its a good investment.. Shoot, Ghost can make an image with
that controller as well

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:23:06 +0100, "pete" <petefa@petefa.f2s.com>
wrote:

>If YOU had half a brain, you should be able to understand that a Dos box
>does not work!
>Why?
>Because the PC, HAS to reboot to start drive Image or Ghost, BANG, that Dos
>box has gone.
>
>It shows that you are just "trying" to look smart, when in fact, you are
>just guessing.
>Leave it to someone who, "knows and has had the experience", it will save
>you from looking very, VERY silly.
>Doh!
>
>Apart from your stupid comment, thank you for your non-help, but I have now
>found a way that works.
>
>If you would like to know how, just ask and I will explain it in very simple
>terms, just so that you may understand.
>
>You can not educate someone to be an idiot, they are born that way!
>P.P
>
>"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> In article <d4g01m$47l$1@news.freedom2surf.net>, pete says...
>>> The Sata drives can not be seen fron dos, due to the Adaptec controller
>>> only
>>> having a XP driver.
>>>
>> DOS box from within Windows????? THats what I was on about. If you
>> can't figure that out then I suggest you find someone with half a clue
>> to do the cloning for you.
>>

>> --
>> Conor
>>
>> "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

Acronis True Image doesn't and the new Ghost (Drive Image 2002 Plus)
doesn't. Can image from within windows...

In article <d4grpu$dms$1@news.freedom2surf.net>, pete says...
> Look on Google, you will see a lot of infomation about Xcopy, it does not
> work correctly.
>
> BTW
> The Answer to my original question was to use MigrateEasy, from Acronis.
> This can resize any partition and clone hard drives, even automatically
> resize the partion on the old and new drives.
> Best of all, it was free on a cover disk, from a Personal Computer world mag

Another thing occured to me now I've got off my soapbox.

Why won't your computer see a SATA HDD already partitioned? If the SATA
controller supports booting, it should be able to be seen. After all,
its no different to working with SCSI drives in that respect.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Because the Adaptec controller card, can not be seen from dos, only in XP,
therefore, the Sata drives themselves can not be seen.
Just as a side note, the problem also exists in Sideline 9.0.
This is a cock-up on Adaptec's part, that's for sure.

To give one example, the latest "windows printers", can not be used on any
other platform, as they use the xp program modules as their interface
drivers. Because they require less hardware and drivers, they are cheap.

> In article <d4grpu$dms$1@news.freedom2surf.net>, pete says...
>> Look on Google, you will see a lot of infomation about Xcopy, it does not
>> work correctly.
>>
>> BTW
>> The Answer to my original question was to use MigrateEasy, from Acronis.
>> This can resize any partition and clone hard drives, even automatically
>> resize the partion on the old and new drives.
>> Best of all, it was free on a cover disk, from a Personal Computer world
>> mag
>>
> Another thing occured to me now I've got off my soapbox.
>
> Why won't your computer see a SATA HDD already partitioned? If the SATA
> controller supports booting, it should be able to be seen. After all,
> its no different to working with SCSI drives in that respect.
>

> --
> Conor
>
> "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

SuseLinux, not sideline, stupid spell checker, lol

<petefa@petefa.f2s.com> wrote:

>If YOU had half a brain, you should be able to understand that a Dos box
>does not work!
>Why?
>Because the PC, HAS to reboot to start drive Image or Ghost, BANG, that Dos
>box has gone.
>
>It shows that you are just "trying" to look smart, when in fact, you are
>just guessing.
>Leave it to someone who, "knows and has had the experience", it will save
>you from looking very, VERY silly.
>Doh!
>
>Apart from your stupid comment, thank you for your non-help, but I have now
>found a way that works.
>
>If you would like to know how, just ask and I will explain it in very simple
>terms, just so that you may understand.
>
>You can not educate someone to be an idiot, they are born that way!
>P.P

I'm not so sure this is a good way to get help, particularly
when it's your thread?

But for the record, lack of a DOS driver isn't why it won't
work. Cards that can boot drives should have that drive
available in DOS if DOS supports the filesystem. Promise
may'e cheaped out or maybe your card or board bios settings
are wrong.

There is no reason why an "SATA" card won't allow drives
visable in DOS anymoreso than a PATA, and several of
Promise's PATA cards definitely DO allow use of drives in
DOS... but then you didn't even mention the model of card
you have, at least not up front where someone could find the
info without wading through a thread that is now a lot of
hot air being blown around.

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 01:05:44 +0100, "pete"
<petefa@petefa.f2s.com> wrote:

>Because the Adaptec controller card, can not be seen from dos, only in XP,

If it can boot one of the attached drives, that is
incorrect.

>therefore, the Sata drives themselves can not be seen.

If it can boot one of the drives that is not possible.

>Just as a side note, the problem also exists in Sideline 9.0.
>This is a cock-up on Adaptec's part, that's for sure.
>
>To give one example, the latest "windows printers", can not be used on any
>other platform, as they use the xp program modules as their interface
>drivers. Because they require less hardware and drivers, they are cheap.

That is not a relevant example.
Apples and oranges.

Had you considered that the reason it doesn't have a DOS
driver is because it doesn't need one?
You might be as well off (for the moment) forgetting that
WIndows exists, forgetting that drivers exist, and just
figuring out what would happen if you got the drive bootable
from the SATA controller and booted IT to dos... dos as the
OS installed on it. While that might not be 100% compatible
with your present goal, IMO you should not be using a
storage soluiton if you can't "work with it".

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

1, Kony, please read the whole thread, I have sorted out the problem!

2, In my very first post I mentioned that it was an Adaptec Sata controller.

3, I never threw the first insults.

4, If you correct about my Sata controller card being visible in dos, even
PCDos, please explain why Norton Ghost, Drive Image and Partition magic,
complain about no drive being available, after re-booting the PC to start
their operations., but whilst in XP, there are no problems.
MigrateEasy, (which run in XP), work perfectly.

5, If you right about the card's bios settings being wrong, then that would
apply to the 25 PC's on my network
Perhaps you can talk to Adaptec and tell them what they are doing wrong.

6, Dos was written many years ago, and includes IO requests in the program
for Pata. Sata drives were not around in those days, and uses a different
method of communication than that used by Pata. Hence the driver requirement
to translate.

7, A good example would be the standard serial port and usb, they both use
serial communication, but in different ways.

8, Now I am finished here, you may reply, but I will not be continuing this
thread anymore.

Have a nice life.