Power Supply Died..Machine now Hangs Partway Through Bootup

I got a call this AM from a friend whose PC had locked up running Microsoft
Publisher with the cursor in the middle of the screen. They turned the
power off, waited 20 seconds and tried to power back up. No response.

I went to their location and the power supply was a krispy kritter. As it
happens I had an ATX supply in my collection, so the box now has a working
supply.

When we rebooted the box it got as far as the XP Home logo and about three
or four passes of the blue status bar under the logo then hung/hangs solid.
I tried "last Good Configuratio", but no improvement. The machine boots
fine in Safe Mode and Safe Mode Command Line.

The machine is a generic PIII, w/60-80 Gig Hard drive, floppy, CD Burner,
modem, sound card, video card, an HP Deskjet, and an unconfigured network
card.

Today was the first time I had ever seen this particular box. They are
looking for their XP Home install disk to make a set of recovery floppies.
Recovery Console wasn't installed on the box.

I left them running in Safe Mode and backing up files to floppy (they didn't
have any blank CDs on hand).

I presume a driver got trashed when the power supply fried.
What's the best way to get them back up running without a complete
reinstall?

Thanks.
--
Keith Bowers - Thomasville, NC

Prolly no way mate, saw this happen to many times when power is lost during
operation.

keith bowers wrote:
> I got a call this AM from a friend whose PC had locked up running Microsoft
> Publisher with the cursor in the middle of the screen. They turned the
> power off, waited 20 seconds and tried to power back up. No response.
>
> I went to their location and the power supply was a krispy kritter. As it
> happens I had an ATX supply in my collection, so the box now has a working
> supply.
>
> When we rebooted the box it got as far as the XP Home logo and about three
> or four passes of the blue status bar under the logo then hung/hangs solid.
> I tried "last Good Configuratio", but no improvement. The machine boots
> fine in Safe Mode and Safe Mode Command Line.
>
> The machine is a generic PIII, w/60-80 Gig Hard drive, floppy, CD Burner,
> modem, sound card, video card, an HP Deskjet, and an unconfigured network
> card.
>
> Today was the first time I had ever seen this particular box. They are
> looking for their XP Home install disk to make a set of recovery floppies.
> Recovery Console wasn't installed on the box.
>
> I left them running in Safe Mode and backing up files to floppy (they didn't
> have any blank CDs on hand).
>
> I presume a driver got trashed when the power supply fried.
> What's the best way to get them back up running without a complete
> reinstall?
>
> Thanks.

There may not be but do a repair re-install from the CD and it should save
their installation unless the registry was trashed during the PSU failure.

keith bowers wrote:
> I got a call this AM from a friend whose PC had locked up running Microsoft
> Publisher with the cursor in the middle of the screen. They turned the
> power off, waited 20 seconds and tried to power back up. No response.
>
> I went to their location and the power supply was a krispy kritter. As it
> happens I had an ATX supply in my collection, so the box now has a working
> supply.
>
> When we rebooted the box it got as far as the XP Home logo and about three
> or four passes of the blue status bar under the logo then hung/hangs solid.
> I tried "last Good Configuratio", but no improvement. The machine boots
> fine in Safe Mode and Safe Mode Command Line.
>
> The machine is a generic PIII, w/60-80 Gig Hard drive, floppy, CD Burner,
> modem, sound card, video card, an HP Deskjet, and an unconfigured network
> card.
>
> Today was the first time I had ever seen this particular box. They are
> looking for their XP Home install disk to make a set of recovery floppies.
> Recovery Console wasn't installed on the box.
>
> I left them running in Safe Mode and backing up files to floppy (they didn't
> have any blank CDs on hand).
>
> I presume a driver got trashed when the power supply fried.
> What's the best way to get them back up running without a complete
> reinstall?
>
> Thanks.

When power supplies are going flaky all kinds of data corruption can
happen, I don't think you will be serving them well by not doing a full
reinstall. That being said, the first thing I would do if I wanted to
avoid a resinstall was run scandisk, let it reboot and see if it can fix
the errors. If it still doesn't fly I wouldn't bother with a repair
install, I would just go ahead and reinstall. It's better to have a
known good clean slate than an unknown that may be major problems down
the road.

Timbertea wrote:

> keith bowers wrote:
>> I got a call this AM from a friend whose PC had locked up running
>> Microsoft Publisher with the cursor in the middle of the screen. They
>> turned the power off, waited 20 seconds and tried to power back up. No
>> response.
>>
>> I went to their location and the power supply was a krispy kritter. As it
>> happens I had an ATX supply in my collection, so the box now has a
>> working supply.
>>
>> When we rebooted the box it got as far as the XP Home logo and about
>> three or four passes of the blue status bar under the logo then
>> hung/hangs solid. I tried "last Good Configuratio", but no improvement.
>> The machine boots fine in Safe Mode and Safe Mode Command Line.
>>
>> The machine is a generic PIII, w/60-80 Gig Hard drive, floppy, CD Burner,
>> modem, sound card, video card, an HP Deskjet, and an unconfigured network
>> card.
>>
>> Today was the first time I had ever seen this particular box. They are
>> looking for their XP Home install disk to make a set of recovery
>> floppies. Recovery Console wasn't installed on the box.
>>
>> I left them running in Safe Mode and backing up files to floppy (they
>> didn't have any blank CDs on hand).
>>
>> I presume a driver got trashed when the power supply fried.
>> What's the best way to get them back up running without a complete
>> reinstall?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> When power supplies are going flaky all kinds of data corruption can
> happen, I don't think you will be serving them well by not doing a full
> reinstall. That being said, the first thing I would do if I wanted to
> avoid a resinstall was run scandisk, let it reboot and see if it can fix
> the errors. If it still doesn't fly I wouldn't bother with a repair
> install, I would just go ahead and reinstall. It's better to have a
> known good clean slate than an unknown that may be major problems down
> the road.

I suspect you are correct. That thing could have sprayed all sorts of
garbage mowt anywhere. Just hoping there was something I had missed. I just
hope they have the disks to do a reinstall. At least there appears to be
enough to save most or all of their data.

Thanks to all who have replied.
--

"keith bowers" wrote:
> I got a call this AM from a friend whose PC had locked up running
Microsoft
> Publisher with the cursor in the middle of the screen. They turned the
> power off, waited 20 seconds and tried to power back up. No response.
>
> I went to their location and the power supply was a krispy kritter. As it
> happens I had an ATX supply in my collection, so the box now has a working
> supply.
>
> When we rebooted the box it got as far as the XP Home logo and about three
> or four passes of the blue status bar under the logo then hung/hangs
solid.
> I tried "last Good Configuratio", but no improvement. The machine boots
> fine in Safe Mode and Safe Mode Command Line.
>
> The machine is a generic PIII, w/60-80 Gig Hard drive, floppy, CD Burner,
> modem, sound card, video card, an HP Deskjet, and an unconfigured network
> card.
>
> Today was the first time I had ever seen this particular box. They are
> looking for their XP Home install disk to make a set of recovery floppies.
> Recovery Console wasn't installed on the box.
>
> I left them running in Safe Mode and backing up files to floppy (they
didn't
> have any blank CDs on hand).
>
> I presume a driver got trashed when the power supply fried.
> What's the best way to get them back up running without a complete
> reinstall?

I would probably first do a bootlog, then come back and read it in safemode
to find out where the hangup was.

Jon

TRENDING THREADS