boot xp cdrom - initialise new harddrive - install ?

I am in the process of building a new system to replace my older
pentium machine and have a question...

If i put a new (unformatted) harddrive on the system

and if i set the bios to boot first from cdrom

and then

put a windows xp (home) cd in the machine

am i able to initialise the harddrive and then install windows xp os on
the system?

I have been looking at various web pages that seem to say that you can
boot from cdrom and then initialise the harddrive and install the os...

Any help will be appreciated.

DpM

yes, boot to the xp cd and the windows installer will list any available
space it sees to install too. Select the unpartitioned space, let XP format
it and the install process will automatically start from there.

"DxPxM" <mail@dpmainprize.abelgratis.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am in the process of building a new system to replace my older
> pentium machine and have a question...
>

> If i put a new (unformatted) harddrive on the system
>
> and if i set the bios to boot first from cdrom
>
> and then
>
> put a windows xp (home) cd in the machine
>
> am i able to initialise the harddrive and then install windows xp os on
> the system?
>

> I have been looking at various web pages that seem to say that you can
> boot from cdrom and then initialise the harddrive and install the os...
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> DpM

Yo are absolutely correct.

--
DaveW

"DxPxM" <mail@dpmainprize.abelgratis.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am in the process of building a new system to replace my older
> pentium machine and have a question...
>

> If i put a new (unformatted) harddrive on the system
>
> and if i set the bios to boot first from cdrom
>
> and then
>
> put a windows xp (home) cd in the machine
>
> am i able to initialise the harddrive and then install windows xp os on
> the system?
>

> I have been looking at various web pages that seem to say that you can
> boot from cdrom and then initialise the harddrive and install the os...
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> DpM

Ok thanks - done it...

New system up and running...

I will say this - it is now very easy to build a machine and put the
operating system on it (with windows xp home it is anyway)...

DpM

TRENDING THREADS