Reset button doesn't seem to work

The reset button on my machine doesn't seem to work. I connected the
wires from the button (clearly marked RSET on the connector) to the
clearly-marked prongs on the motherboard (Asus P4P800-E), but pressing
the button seems to have no effect. It's not a big deal because I
almost never boot the machine (which I use as a server), but I'm curious
as to why it's not working, since it seems pretty simple.

Anything I can check or do to try to fix this? I've checked that the
connector is firmly attached a zillion times.

Mxsmanic wrote:
> The reset button on my machine doesn't seem to work. I connected the
> wires from the button (clearly marked RSET on the connector) to the
> clearly-marked prongs on the motherboard (Asus P4P800-E), but pressing
> the button seems to have no effect. It's not a big deal because I
> almost never boot the machine (which I use as a server), but I'm curious
> as to why it's not working, since it seems pretty simple.
>
> Anything I can check or do to try to fix this? I've checked that the
> connector is firmly attached a zillion times.

Well, either the switch/wire assembly is not functioning properly: check
with ohm meter. Or it's not connected to the motherboard right regardless
of how right it seems. Or the motherboard reset function is disabled/broken.

Philo

Mxsmanic wrote:
> The reset button on my machine doesn't seem to work. I connected the
> wires from the button (clearly marked RSET on the connector) to the
> clearly-marked prongs on the motherboard (Asus P4P800-E), but pressing
> the button seems to have no effect. It's not a big deal because I
> almost never boot the machine (which I use as a server), but I'm curious
> as to why it's not working, since it seems pretty simple.
>
> Anything I can check or do to try to fix this? I've checked that the
> connector is firmly attached a zillion times.

just short out the pins with a small screw driver
to see if it's just a switch problem

"Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The reset button on my machine doesn't seem to work. I connected the
> wires from the button (clearly marked RSET on the connector) to the
> clearly-marked prongs on the motherboard (Asus P4P800-E), but pressing
> the button seems to have no effect. It's not a big deal because I
> almost never boot the machine (which I use as a server), but I'm curious
> as to why it's not working, since it seems pretty simple.
>
> Anything I can check or do to try to fix this? I've checked that the
> connector is firmly attached a zillion times.
>
> --
> Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.
As someone else suggested, short the reset pins with something and see if
the box resets.

If not then I would suspect that the reset option is either disabled totally
in the CMOS or it is set to something like a 60 second holding of the button
to trigger the reset. Kind of like a safety to stop someone from
accidentally resetting the server but still allow you to do so if you still
desire it. Try holding the button in for say a minute or two and see if
that works.

David Maynard writes:

> Well, either the switch/wire assembly is not functioning properly: check
> with ohm meter. Or it's not connected to the motherboard right regardless
> of how right it seems. Or the motherboard reset function is disabled/broken.

I don't currently have a test meter. What kind of meter is best suited
to use with PCs? I suppose they serve mostly for testing board voltages
and continuity?

I think I have the reset function enabled, but I'll triple-check the
next time I have to boot.

Mxsmanic wrote:
> David Maynard writes:
>

>>Well, either the switch/wire assembly is not functioning properly: check
>>with ohm meter. Or it's not connected to the motherboard right regardless
>>of how right it seems. Or the motherboard reset function is disabled/broken.
>

> I don't currently have a test meter. What kind of meter is best suited
> to use with PCs?

Best or suitable? Just about any multimeter will do for general purpose
checking.

Since you don't have one you can do an implied check by shorting the reset
pins with a screw driver (if that works then the switch/wiring is bad) but
if you don't get the right pins, the number 2 possibility, it gives a
potentially false conclusion.

> I suppose they serve mostly for testing board voltages
> and continuity?

At the basic level, yes.

philo writes:

> just short out the pins with a small screw driver
> to see if it's just a switch problem

Hmm ... never thought of that--good idea!

On Sat, 07 May 2005 14:08:38 +0200, Mxsmanic
<mxsmanic@hotmail.com> wrote:

>David Maynard writes:
>
>> Well, either the switch/wire assembly is not functioning properly: check
>> with ohm meter. Or it's not connected to the motherboard right regardless
>> of how right it seems. Or the motherboard reset function is disabled/broken.
>
>I don't currently have a test meter. What kind of meter is best suited
>to use with PCs? I suppose they serve mostly for testing board voltages
>and continuity?
>
>I think I have the reset function enabled, but I'll triple-check the
>next time I have to boot.

If you'll only use it very little and only with PCs, pick up
the cheapest thing you can find, hopefully one that takes a
common (9V or AA usually) battery so a few years from now it
won't cost another $5+ just to change the battery.