ati 9700 pro ati 9800 or geforce 5900

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Looking to replace my old geforce 5200 on my 3000xp kt400 system. Which of
these cards would be the best? Need to use it for Internet Word Processing
and some new 3d Games(Rome Total War/Sims 2)at a resolution of at least
1024x748.

thanks

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 12 May 2005 23:53:15 -0600, "GS"
<basil@access4less.net> wrote:

>Looking to replace my old geforce 5200 on my 3000xp kt400 system. Which of
>these cards would be the best? Need to use it for Internet Word Processing
>and some new 3d Games(Rome Total War/Sims 2)at a resolution of at least
>1024x748.

There have been some deals on Radeon 9800 Pro for around
$140, that'd be the best in that price range. If you can go
up to ~$160 I suggest a Geforce 6600 GT.

FX5900 is very fast at DX8 but not a good buy for DX9/modern
stuff, not at the price-point it still has online at least,
YMMV if you find deals elsewhere. R9700 Pro only if the
price is low enough, it should play the two games you
menitoned fine but IMO, usually it's not much cheaper than
the R9800 Pro or 6600GT and their performance is a
reasonable increase for the cost. Regular R89800/SE is a
notch below all the aforementioned cards.

I'm a bit surprised the 5200 won't play those two games
though, at least at 1024x768 but then IIRC there are also
multiple grades of FX5200.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I have an EVGA 5900 for $110 U.S. $5 shipping. headon@att.net. Very nice
card. Faster than the 9700pro, almost as fast as the 9800pro. Nvidia cards
generally have less driver problems than ATI cards so even though the latest
gen ATIs are slightly faster than nvidia' I'll be sticking to Nvidia.

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 May 2005 23:53:15 -0600, "GS"
> <basil@access4less.net> wrote:
>
> >Looking to replace my old geforce 5200 on my 3000xp kt400 system. Which
of
> >these cards would be the best? Need to use it for Internet Word
Processing
> >and some new 3d Games(Rome Total War/Sims 2)at a resolution of at least
> >1024x748.
>
> There have been some deals on Radeon 9800 Pro for around
> $140, that'd be the best in that price range. If you can go
> up to ~$160 I suggest a Geforce 6600 GT.
>
> FX5900 is very fast at DX8 but not a good buy for DX9/modern
> stuff, not at the price-point it still has online at least,
> YMMV if you find deals elsewhere. R9700 Pro only if the
> price is low enough, it should play the two games you
> menitoned fine but IMO, usually it's not much cheaper than
> the R9800 Pro or 6600GT and their performance is a
> reasonable increase for the cost. Regular R89800/SE is a
> notch below all the aforementioned cards.
>
> I'm a bit surprised the 5200 won't play those two games
> though, at least at 1024x768 but then IIRC there are also
> multiple grades of FX5200.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:52:34 GMT, "dawg" <don't
look@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I have an EVGA 5900 for $110 U.S. $5 shipping. headon@att.net. Very nice
>card. Faster than the 9700pro, almost as fast as the 9800pro. Nvidia cards
>generally have less driver problems than ATI cards so even though the latest
>gen ATIs are slightly faster than nvidia' I'll be sticking to Nvidia.

It's faster at DX8 but either of those Radeons will beat it
at DX9 with FSAA enabled. It may still be faster with FSAA
disabled though?

I agree nVidia has better drivers, and don't really put much
weight behind which card is the fastest on earth at any
particular moment unless the buyer expressed interest in >
$400 cards.