How long can a USB cable be and still work good ??

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2005 6:36:50 AM

How long can a USB cable be and still work good ??

I just need it for a webcam. Which wont be in the PC room. Which is
about 15 metres away is the distance to where i want to place it.

Would their be any problems ??

The webcam is a USB 2 Device Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 if thats any
help :)

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2005 6:36:51 AM

In article <esl981l51qd9a0v19qcaav3vv4glgv5i0i@4ax.com>, 1@abc.com
says...

See FAQ at www.usb.org
specifically http://www.usb.org/faq/ans5#q2

Note that their term "full speed devices" has specific meaning, and is
about USB 1.1 devices at 1.5Mb/second. USB 2.0 devices are "high
speed".

You can go longer by putting a hub(s) every 5 meters.

--
Wayne
http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

So if i put one of these cables inbetween 2 five metre cables i can do
15 metres ??

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4284e1150b...

Or i could only use it connected to a 5 metre cable from my PC and
then connect that cable to give me 10 metres ? ?

Confused. Help me please :)

On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:08:04 GMT, Wayne Fulton <nospam@invalid.com>
wrote:

>In article <esl981l51qd9a0v19qcaav3vv4glgv5i0i@4ax.com>, 1@abc.com
>says...
>>
>>How long can a USB cable be and still work good ??
>

>See FAQ at www.usb.org
>specifically http://www.usb.org/faq/ans5#q2
>
>Note that their term "full speed devices" has specific meaning, and is
>about USB 1.1 devices at 1.5Mb/second. USB 2.0 devices are "high
>speed".
>
>You can go longer by putting a hub(s) every 5 meters.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2005 7:19:39 AM

Yes, you need a repeater:
o This can be via a cable
o Or it can be via a hub

For your application the simplest is the cable option.

Always thought the 5m limit to be a bit restrictive, also
realise USB is a shared bandwidth system. Just a note
if you plan on sharing bandwidth between devices.

The distance limitation is due to timing.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet NMB & Panaflo fans