How long can a USB cable be and still work good ??

How long can a USB cable be and still work good ??

I just need it for a webcam. Which wont be in the PC room. Which is
about 15 metres away is the distance to where i want to place it.

Would their be any problems ??

The webcam is a USB 2 Device Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 if thats any
help :)

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about long cable work good

    In article <esl981l51qd9a0v19qcaav3vv4glgv5i0i@4ax.com>, 1@abc.com
    says...

    See FAQ at www.usb.org
    specifically http://www.usb.org/faq/ans5#q2

    Note that their term "full speed devices" has specific meaning, and is
    about USB 1.1 devices at 1.5Mb/second. USB 2.0 devices are "high
    speed".

    You can go longer by putting a hub(s) every 5 meters.

    --
    Wayne
    http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

    So if i put one of these cables inbetween 2 five metre cables i can do
    15 metres ??

    http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4284e1150be79f0a273fc0a87f9c073c/Product/View/XH8199

    Or i could only use it connected to a 5 metre cable from my PC and
    then connect that cable to give me 10 metres ? ?

    Confused. Help me please :)

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:08:04 GMT, Wayne Fulton <nospam@invalid.com>
    wrote:

    >In article <esl981l51qd9a0v19qcaav3vv4glgv5i0i@4ax.com>, 1@abc.com
    >says...
    >>
    >>How long can a USB cable be and still work good ??
    >

    >See FAQ at www.usb.org
    >specifically http://www.usb.org/faq/ans5#q2
    >
    >Note that their term "full speed devices" has specific meaning, and is
    >about USB 1.1 devices at 1.5Mb/second. USB 2.0 devices are "high
    >speed".
    >
    >You can go longer by putting a hub(s) every 5 meters.

    Yes, you need a repeater:
    o This can be via a cable
    o Or it can be via a hub

    For your application the simplest is the cable option.

    Always thought the 5m limit to be a bit restrictive, also
    realise USB is a shared bandwidth system. Just a note
    if you plan on sharing bandwidth between devices.

    The distance limitation is due to timing.
    --
    Dorothy Bradbury
    www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet NMB & Panaflo fans

Homebuilt Webcams USB Cable Systems