What do you use onboard flash ROM for?

August 7, 2004 4:49:00 PM

Several machines are available with user-accessible non-volatile flash ROM
to supplement the RAM. HP calls it the iPaq filestore, other manufacturers
have their equivalents.

I have the following questions for anyone who would care to reply:

1. Is it significantly slower than RAM?
2. Can it be synchronized with ActiveSync?
3. What is it intended to be used for?
4. What wouldn't you use it for?
5. What do YOU use it for?

More about : onboard flash rom

Anonymous
August 7, 2004 4:49:01 PM

1. Access times are slightly slower when writing/reading compared to RAM.
2. No. MightySync however, can.
3. It was intended as non-volatile storage for documents/programs.
4. I wouldn't use it to store 'sensitive' info such as passwords.
5. Currently, Nothing. only a tiny system backup of Contacts/Calendar
sits in there and is refreshed every soft reset.

$0.02

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

See inline.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Andrew H" <ajhpms@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Several machines are available with user-accessible non-volatile flash ROM
> to supplement the RAM. HP calls it the iPaq filestore, other
manufacturers
> have their equivalents.
>
> I have the following questions for anyone who would care to reply:
>
> 1. Is it significantly slower than RAM?
Not that I can tell
> 2. Can it be synchronized with ActiveSync?
No
> 3. What is it intended to be used for?
Whatever you want
> 4. What wouldn't you use it for?
Programs that really need to run from RAM, such as Today screen enhancements
or SIPS (Calligrapher) for instance. In my experience, if it doesn't like to
run from a Flash Card, it doesn't really like to run from the Built-In
Flash.
> 5. What do YOU use it for?
On my iPAQ with only ~3M, nothing. I leave it alone. Experience has shown
that filling it up is bad.
On my Dells (X5 and X30) I install all my third party software (that I can)
there. That leaves my SD card slot for cards with ONLY data files and for
peripherals like a camera. This way I can swap data SDs at will without
havng to worry about what program is on that SD card that I may need.

I am patiently waiting for PPCTechs to develop a RAM upgrade for the X30. I
have that done on my 4155 and use that RAM disk for programs, like I do the
extra ROM in the Dells. My plan is to use the RAM disk in the X30 for
programs and use the built-in storage (non-volitile) to store backups and
cab files to make emergency restores relatively painless.

August 7, 2004 5:13:18 PM

"Andrew H" <ajhpms@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Several machines are available with user-accessible non-volatile flash ROM
> to supplement the RAM. HP calls it the iPaq filestore, other
manufacturers
> have their equivalents.
>
> I have the following questions for anyone who would care to reply:
>
> 1. Is it significantly slower than RAM?

Not significantly, no.

> 2. Can it be synchronized with ActiveSync?

No, but it can with third-party apps such as MightySync
(www.mydocsunlimited.com)

> 3. What is it intended to be used for?

It's up to the user - programs cam be installed to it, or (my choice)
important data can be backed-up to it.

> 4. What wouldn't you use it for?

Erm, don't know.

> 5. What do YOU use it for?

See above.

HTH,

Flib
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 5:38:17 PM

> 4. I wouldn't use it to store 'sensitive' info such as passwords.

I presume you wouldn't have a problem with password protected documents such
as used by Ilium Software's eWallet? I keep my important data in eWallet,
and like the idea of storing it in Flash ROM so it won't get lost with a
power down. OTOH, I don't like the idea that it won't be synchronized with
the desktop.
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 5:38:18 PM

I haven't used eWallet, but if the password is strong enough then
the documents are fairly safe if stored in encrypted form. On the
side of that, password protection of Microsoft documents (Word, Excel,
Works, etc) are NOT safe. you can pick up a password recovery program
off the web for these and have the password presented to you in less
than a minute. I am not familiar with eWallet, and if there is a
similar way to recover passwords from files protected by eWallet.
This is why I don't store anything password related inside the iPAQ
FileStore. I don't want someone to even *have* the chance to take
anything out there and have a go at recovering the passwords.
Right now, I just keep synchronized with my desktop at home to keep my
documents and data safe. Later, I might pick up a 1GB SD card if I can
get enough money for it. they cost about half the price of a brand new
iPAQ 5550 here in Holland.

>> 4. I wouldn't use it to store 'sensitive' info such as passwords.
>
> I presume you wouldn't have a problem with password protected documents
> such as used by Ilium Software's eWallet? I keep my important data in
> eWallet, and like the idea of storing it in Flash ROM so it won't get
> lost with a power down. OTOH, I don't like the idea that it won't be
> synchronized with the desktop.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 5:40:17 PM

Hi Sven

Would you keep any data files in flash ROM?

Thanks

Andrew

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> See inline.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Andrew H" <ajhpms@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Several machines are available with user-accessible non-volatile flash
>> ROM
>> to supplement the RAM. HP calls it the iPaq filestore, other
> manufacturers
>> have their equivalents.
>>
>> I have the following questions for anyone who would care to reply:
>>
>> 1. Is it significantly slower than RAM?
> Not that I can tell
>> 2. Can it be synchronized with ActiveSync?
> No
>> 3. What is it intended to be used for?
> Whatever you want
>> 4. What wouldn't you use it for?
> Programs that really need to run from RAM, such as Today screen
> enhancements
> or SIPS (Calligrapher) for instance. In my experience, if it doesn't like
> run from a Flash Card, it doesn't really like to run from the Built-In
> Flash.
>> 5. What do YOU use it for?
> On my iPAQ with only ~3M, nothing. I leave it alone. Experience has shown
> that filling it up is bad.
> On my Dells (X5 and X30) I install all my third party software (that I
> can)
> there. That leaves my SD card slot for cards with ONLY data files and for
> peripherals like a camera. This way I can swap data SDs at will without
> havng to worry about what program is on that SD card that I may need.
>
> I am patiently waiting for PPCTechs to develop a RAM upgrade for the X30.
> have that done on my 4155 and use that RAM disk for programs, like I do
> the
> extra ROM in the Dells. My plan is to use the RAM disk in the X30 for
> programs and use the built-in storage (non-volitile) to store backups and
> cab files to make emergency restores relatively painless.

Anonymous
August 10, 2004 9:22:12 PM

I would, and I have. You do need to remember that it is non-volatile, so
private files remain there even if your PPC is stolen and the battery runs
down resetting the PPC. (data on the SD has the same issue) My e-wallet
file is in RAM. I am careful about putting things there also because
overfilling it tends to be a bad thing. I don't want to accidentally put too
big a file in there. Right now my modus operandi of loading my apps there
and using the SD for data storage is working well. I have 18-20 apps loaded
in there now using about 17M of the 30 available.

I am waiting for PPCTechs to get an X30 RAM update done. I expect that will
be a RAMDisk as most are, not just more RAM. At that point my plan is to
load programs to the RAM disk, use the SD for data, and let Sprite Backup
save backups to the Built In Storage. That would make it fairly bullet
proof.

--

!