Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2005 11:02:00 PM

all I want to do is something very simple, clone my existing 250 gig
boot hard drive (60 gig used) to another 80gig hard dive, currently I
have only 1 hard drive in the PC which is allocated drive letter F.

I resized the 250gigs partition down to exactly the same size as the
80 gigs hard drive then I used Drive Image 7 (windows version) which
cloned the disk fine but the new drive was allocated letter C, so
virtually all the programs didn't work and the system ran terribly as
everything referred to F.

version 6 (dos version) cloned the disk but did not make the partition
active, once I had made it active it gets half way through and does a
hardware reset.

Can anybody suggest a simple program to clone byte for byte the drive?

--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!

More about : clone hard drive

May 25, 2005 11:02:01 PM

Symantec's Ghost will clone a drive. It's about $50. It does a very
effective backup & restore in the event of a hard drive crash or virus
infection, although you did not state your O/S.

On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:02:00 +0100, Luke Curtis <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com>
wrote:

>all I want to do is something very simple, clone my existing 250 gig
>boot hard drive (60 gig used) to another 80gig hard dive, currently I
>have only 1 hard drive in the PC which is allocated drive letter F.
>
>I resized the 250gigs partition down to exactly the same size as the
>80 gigs hard drive then I used Drive Image 7 (windows version) which
>cloned the disk fine but the new drive was allocated letter C, so
>virtually all the programs didn't work and the system ran terribly as
>everything referred to F.
>
>version 6 (dos version) cloned the disk but did not make the partition
>active, once I had made it active it gets half way through and does a
>hardware reset.
>
>Can anybody suggest a simple program to clone byte for byte the drive?
May 26, 2005 12:51:25 AM

I suggest Acronis True Image will do the job perfectly. Older versions
are sometimes to have for free. Sometimes computer magazines etc give
a free version. True Image is safe and easy to use within your XP
environment

Succes!

Frank

Op Wed, 25 May 2005 19:02:00 +0100 schreef Luke Curtis
<mfll78@dsl.pipex.com>:

>all I want to do is something very simple, clone my existing 250 gig
>boot hard drive (60 gig used) to another 80gig hard dive, currently I
>have only 1 hard drive in the PC which is allocated drive letter F.
>
>I resized the 250gigs partition down to exactly the same size as the
>80 gigs hard drive then I used Drive Image 7 (windows version) which
>cloned the disk fine but the new drive was allocated letter C, so
>virtually all the programs didn't work and the system ran terribly as
>everything referred to F.
>
>version 6 (dos version) cloned the disk but did not make the partition
>active, once I had made it active it gets half way through and does a
>hardware reset.
>
>Can anybody suggest a simple program to clone byte for byte the drive?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 26, 2005 12:51:26 AM

"FLO" <franklonyNOSPAMPLEASE@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I suggest Acronis True Image will do the job perfectly. Older versions
> are sometimes to have for free. Sometimes computer magazines etc give
> a free version. True Image is safe and easy to use within your XP
> environment
>
> Succes!
>
> Frank
>
> Op Wed, 25 May 2005 19:02:00 +0100 schreef Luke Curtis
> <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com>:
>
> >all I want to do is something very simple, clone my existing 250 gig
> >boot hard drive (60 gig used) to another 80gig hard dive, currently I
> >have only 1 hard drive in the PC which is allocated drive letter F.
> >
> >I resized the 250gigs partition down to exactly the same size as the
> >80 gigs hard drive then I used Drive Image 7 (windows version) which
> >cloned the disk fine but the new drive was allocated letter C, so
> >virtually all the programs didn't work and the system ran terribly as
> >everything referred to F.
> >
> >version 6 (dos version) cloned the disk but did not make the partition
> >active, once I had made it active it gets half way through and does a
> >hardware reset.
> >
> >Can anybody suggest a simple program to clone byte for byte the drive?

seconded.............
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 26, 2005 1:51:44 AM

<mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>all I want to do is something very simple, clone my existing 250 gig
>boot hard drive (60 gig used) to another 80gig hard dive, currently I
>have only 1 hard drive in the PC which is allocated drive letter F.

Then don't allocate it as F.
Your odd choice here is a potential to make any default
choices go awry. You could leave it as F, but if you do,
see below.

>I resized the 250gigs partition down to exactly the same size as the
>80 gigs hard drive

Why?
Unnecessary, merely haven't less than 80G of data is
sufficient.

>then I used Drive Image 7 (windows version) which
>cloned the disk fine but the new drive was allocated letter C,

See? Here's where your prior choice caused a problem.
The solution is quite simple, after booting to the cloned
drive you'd go into Windows' Computer Managerment and
change the drive letter designation to F. However, it is
unclear what your goal is, if you merely need a backup then
perhaps it would be better to simply have a backup image
rather than a manually created mirror.

> so
>virtually all the programs didn't work and the system ran terribly as
>everything referred to F.

Yeah, it's usually not a good idea to make the primary
partition for the OS something other than C. You don't have
to know why that is ahead of time, only that "C" is the
expected default partition and so if any particular
assignment "might' be a problem, it'd be an assignment other
than "C". Even so, if you had windows assign another letter
for the backup drive already by having it connected in
windows, again you'd need reassign the drive letter. It
takes a few seconds to reassign later but can also be a
positive thing in other scenarios.

>version 6 (dos version) cloned the disk but did not make the partition
>active,

Version 6 should be able to make a viable clone that can
boot and run. Recheck it's settings and when booting the
new clone, disconnect the other (original) drive for at
least the first boot.

>once I had made it active it gets half way through and does a
>hardware reset.

.... and hook up the new clone drive to same IDE (or
SATA/other) channel position as the original drive was.

>Can anybody suggest a simple program to clone byte for byte the drive?

They ARE cloning byte for byte.
The problem is a logical one with windows, not the cloning
itself.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 26, 2005 1:51:45 AM

kony wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:02:00 +0100, Luke Curtis
> <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>

>>all I want to do is something very simple, clone my existing 250 gig
>>boot hard drive (60 gig used) to another 80gig hard dive, currently I
>>have only 1 hard drive in the PC which is allocated drive letter F.
>

> Then don't allocate it as F.
> Your odd choice here is a potential to make any default
> choices go awry. You could leave it as F, but if you do,
> see below.

It's possible he made that 'choice' but I doubt it. More likely XP chose it
during the original install.

>>I resized the 250gigs partition down to exactly the same size as the
>>80 gigs hard drive
>

> Why?
> Unnecessary, merely haven't less than 80G of data is
> sufficient.

Agreed

>>then I used Drive Image 7 (windows version) which
>>cloned the disk fine but the new drive was allocated letter C,
>

> See? Here's where your prior choice caused a problem.
> The solution is quite simple, after booting to the cloned
> drive you'd go into Windows' Computer Managerment and
> change the drive letter designation to F.

He can't because XP won't allow changing the system drive's assignment.

> However, it is
> unclear what your goal is, if you merely need a backup then
> perhaps it would be better to simply have a backup image
> rather than a manually created mirror.
>

>>so
>>virtually all the programs didn't work and the system ran terribly as
>>everything referred to F.
>

> Yeah, it's usually not a good idea to make the primary
> partition for the OS something other than C. You don't have
> to know why that is ahead of time, only that "C" is the
> expected default partition and so if any particular
> assignment "might' be a problem, it'd be an assignment other
> than "C".

It can be a problem for very old legacy and poorly written apps but
anything remotely new and following proper O.S. conventions should be
referencing through the registry's 'system drive' entry (There's more to it
but that's the basic gist).

> Even so, if you had windows assign another letter
> for the backup drive already by having it connected in
> windows,

That's the problem. When partitions are assigned drive letters an
identifier is stored on the hard drive and the letter assignment is stored
in the registry so when the original drive is cloned the registry
information goes right along with it. The 'new' drive just isn't the system
drive, period, and you can move the drives anywhere you like but as long as
that ID is on it, and the registry remains the same, XP knows the 'old'
drive should be system and the 'new' drive isn't.

Here's a page explaining it and some methods:

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

He leaves out the easiest one: when getting a new drive one is going to
clone to, don't boot XP with the new drive installed before you clone so it
isn't assigned an ID and system letter. Then, after the clone, remove the
old drive and boot with the new one. XP will find 'no assignments' existing
(new drive unassigned and the old drive isn't there) and will allocate the
new, and only, drive as system.

That's usually sufficient for single partition clones.

> again you'd need reassign the drive letter. It
> takes a few seconds to reassign later but can also be a
> positive thing in other scenarios.
>

>>version 6 (dos version) cloned the disk but did not make the partition
>>active,
>

> Version 6 should be able to make a viable clone that can
> boot and run. Recheck it's settings and when booting the
> new clone, disconnect the other (original) drive for at
> least the first boot.
>

>>once I had made it active it gets half way through and does a
>>hardware reset.
>

> ... and hook up the new clone drive to same IDE (or
> SATA/other) channel position as the original drive was.

>>Can anybody suggest a simple program to clone byte for byte the drive?
>

> They ARE cloning byte for byte.
> The problem is a logical one with windows, not the cloning
> itself.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 26, 2005 11:21:21 AM

On Wed, 25 May 2005 21:51:44 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:02:00 +0100, Luke Curtis
><mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>>all I want to do is something very simple, clone my existing 250 gig
>>boot hard drive (60 gig used) to another 80gig hard dive, currently I
>>have only 1 hard drive in the PC which is allocated drive letter F.
>

>Then don't allocate it as F.
>Your odd choice here is a potential to make any default
>choices go awry. You could leave it as F, but if you do,
>see below.

I didn't want it as F, that's just what XP allocated it when I
installed it, presumably because I had quite a few HD's connected at
the time.

>>I resized the 250gigs partition down to exactly the same size as the
>>80 gigs hard drive
>
>Why?
>Unnecessary, merely haven't less than 80G of data is
>sufficient.
The first program I tried, Drive Image refused to do it because the
destination drive was too small.

>>then I used Drive Image 7 (windows version) which
>>cloned the disk fine but the new drive was allocated letter C,
>
>See? Here's where your prior choice caused a problem.
>The solution is quite simple, after booting to the cloned
>drive you'd go into Windows' Computer Managerment and
>change the drive letter designation to F.
Since it is the boot drive it will not allow me to change to drive
letter

>However, it is
>unclear what your goal is, if you merely need a backup then
>perhaps it would be better to simply have a backup image
>rather than a manually created mirror.
I want to take out the existing 250 gig HD which I do not use enough
in this PC to another where it will be use much more effectively and
replace it with a 80gig without all the hassle of reinstalling and
spending the best part of a day setting up all the various programs,
games and settings.

>> so
>>virtually all the programs didn't work and the system ran terribly as
>>everything referred to F.
>
>Yeah, it's usually not a good idea to make the primary
>partition for the OS something other than C. You don't have
>to know why that is ahead of time, only that "C" is the
>expected default partition and so if any particular
>assignment "might' be a problem, it'd be an assignment other
>than "C". Even so, if you had windows assign another letter
>for the backup drive already by having it connected in
>windows, again you'd need reassign the drive letter. It
>takes a few seconds to reassign later but can also be a
>positive thing in other scenarios.
>

>>version 6 (dos version) cloned the disk but did not make the partition
>>active,
>
>Version 6 should be able to make a viable clone that can
>boot and run. Recheck it's settings and when booting the
>new clone, disconnect the other (original) drive for at
>least the first boot.
>

>>once I had made it active it gets half way through and does a
>>hardware reset.
>
>... and hook up the new clone drive to same IDE (or
>SATA/other) channel position as the original drive was.
I'll certainly try that but surely it shouldn't matter which position
the drive is on, normally it will find the drive in the new position
if you move it....