How do I clone a Hard Drive?

all I want to do is something very simple, clone my existing 250 gig
boot hard drive (60 gig used) to another 80gig hard dive, currently I
have only 1 hard drive in the PC which is allocated drive letter F.

I resized the 250gigs partition down to exactly the same size as the
80 gigs hard drive then I used Drive Image 7 (windows version) which
cloned the disk fine but the new drive was allocated letter C, so
virtually all the programs didn't work and the system ran terribly as
everything referred to F.

version 6 (dos version) cloned the disk but did not make the partition
active, once I had made it active it gets half way through and does a
hardware reset.

Can anybody suggest a simple program to clone byte for byte the drive?

--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!

    Symantec's Ghost will clone a drive. It's about $50. It does a very
    effective backup & restore in the event of a hard drive crash or virus
    infection, although you did not state your O/S.

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:02:00 +0100, Luke Curtis <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com>
    wrote:

    >all I want to do is something very simple, clone my existing 250 gig
    >boot hard drive (60 gig used) to another 80gig hard dive, currently I
    >have only 1 hard drive in the PC which is allocated drive letter F.
    >
    >I resized the 250gigs partition down to exactly the same size as the
    >80 gigs hard drive then I used Drive Image 7 (windows version) which
    >cloned the disk fine but the new drive was allocated letter C, so
    >virtually all the programs didn't work and the system ran terribly as
    >everything referred to F.
    >
    >version 6 (dos version) cloned the disk but did not make the partition
    >active, once I had made it active it gets half way through and does a
    >hardware reset.
    >
    >Can anybody suggest a simple program to clone byte for byte the drive?

    I suggest Acronis True Image will do the job perfectly. Older versions
    are sometimes to have for free. Sometimes computer magazines etc give
    a free version. True Image is safe and easy to use within your XP
    environment

    Succes!

    Frank

    "FLO" <franklonyNOSPAMPLEASE@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > I suggest Acronis True Image will do the job perfectly. Older versions
    > are sometimes to have for free. Sometimes computer magazines etc give
    > a free version. True Image is safe and easy to use within your XP
    > environment
    >
    > Succes!
    >
    > Frank
    >
    > Op Wed, 25 May 2005 19:02:00 +0100 schreef Luke Curtis
    > <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com>:
    >
    > >all I want to do is something very simple, clone my existing 250 gig
    > >boot hard drive (60 gig used) to another 80gig hard dive, currently I
    > >have only 1 hard drive in the PC which is allocated drive letter F.
    > >
    > >I resized the 250gigs partition down to exactly the same size as the
    > >80 gigs hard drive then I used Drive Image 7 (windows version) which
    > >cloned the disk fine but the new drive was allocated letter C, so
    > >virtually all the programs didn't work and the system ran terribly as
    > >everything referred to F.
    > >
    > >version 6 (dos version) cloned the disk but did not make the partition
    > >active, once I had made it active it gets half way through and does a
    > >hardware reset.
    > >
    > >Can anybody suggest a simple program to clone byte for byte the drive?

    seconded.............

    <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

    >all I want to do is something very simple, clone my existing 250 gig
    >boot hard drive (60 gig used) to another 80gig hard dive, currently I
    >have only 1 hard drive in the PC which is allocated drive letter F.

    Then don't allocate it as F.
    Your odd choice here is a potential to make any default
    choices go awry. You could leave it as F, but if you do,
    see below.

    >I resized the 250gigs partition down to exactly the same size as the
    >80 gigs hard drive

    Why?
    Unnecessary, merely haven't less than 80G of data is
    sufficient.

    >then I used Drive Image 7 (windows version) which
    >cloned the disk fine but the new drive was allocated letter C,

    See? Here's where your prior choice caused a problem.
    The solution is quite simple, after booting to the cloned
    drive you'd go into Windows' Computer Managerment and
    change the drive letter designation to F. However, it is
    unclear what your goal is, if you merely need a backup then
    perhaps it would be better to simply have a backup image
    rather than a manually created mirror.

    > so
    >virtually all the programs didn't work and the system ran terribly as
    >everything referred to F.

    Yeah, it's usually not a good idea to make the primary
    partition for the OS something other than C. You don't have
    to know why that is ahead of time, only that "C" is the
    expected default partition and so if any particular
    assignment "might' be a problem, it'd be an assignment other
    than "C". Even so, if you had windows assign another letter
    for the backup drive already by having it connected in
    windows, again you'd need reassign the drive letter. It
    takes a few seconds to reassign later but can also be a
    positive thing in other scenarios.

    >version 6 (dos version) cloned the disk but did not make the partition
    >active,

    Version 6 should be able to make a viable clone that can
    boot and run. Recheck it's settings and when booting the
    new clone, disconnect the other (original) drive for at
    least the first boot.

    >once I had made it active it gets half way through and does a
    >hardware reset.

    .... and hook up the new clone drive to same IDE (or
    SATA/other) channel position as the original drive was.

    >Can anybody suggest a simple program to clone byte for byte the drive?

    They ARE cloning byte for byte.
    The problem is a logical one with windows, not the cloning
    itself.

    kony wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:02:00 +0100, Luke Curtis
    > <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
    >

    >>all I want to do is something very simple, clone my existing 250 gig
    >>boot hard drive (60 gig used) to another 80gig hard dive, currently I
    >>have only 1 hard drive in the PC which is allocated drive letter F.
    >

    > Then don't allocate it as F.
    > Your odd choice here is a potential to make any default
    > choices go awry. You could leave it as F, but if you do,
    > see below.

    It's possible he made that 'choice' but I doubt it. More likely XP chose it
    during the original install.

    >>I resized the 250gigs partition down to exactly the same size as the
    >>80 gigs hard drive
    >

    > Why?
    > Unnecessary, merely haven't less than 80G of data is
    > sufficient.

    Agreed

    >>then I used Drive Image 7 (windows version) which
    >>cloned the disk fine but the new drive was allocated letter C,
    >

    > See? Here's where your prior choice caused a problem.
    > The solution is quite simple, after booting to the cloned
    > drive you'd go into Windows' Computer Managerment and
    > change the drive letter designation to F.

    He can't because XP won't allow changing the system drive's assignment.

    > However, it is
    > unclear what your goal is, if you merely need a backup then
    > perhaps it would be better to simply have a backup image
    > rather than a manually created mirror.
    >

    >>so
    >>virtually all the programs didn't work and the system ran terribly as
    >>everything referred to F.
    >

    > Yeah, it's usually not a good idea to make the primary
    > partition for the OS something other than C. You don't have
    > to know why that is ahead of time, only that "C" is the
    > expected default partition and so if any particular
    > assignment "might' be a problem, it'd be an assignment other
    > than "C".

    It can be a problem for very old legacy and poorly written apps but
    anything remotely new and following proper O.S. conventions should be
    referencing through the registry's 'system drive' entry (There's more to it
    but that's the basic gist).

    > Even so, if you had windows assign another letter
    > for the backup drive already by having it connected in
    > windows,

    That's the problem. When partitions are assigned drive letters an
    identifier is stored on the hard drive and the letter assignment is stored
    in the registry so when the original drive is cloned the registry
    information goes right along with it. The 'new' drive just isn't the system
    drive, period, and you can move the drives anywhere you like but as long as
    that ID is on it, and the registry remains the same, XP knows the 'old'
    drive should be system and the 'new' drive isn't.

    Here's a page explaining it and some methods:

    http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

    He leaves out the easiest one: when getting a new drive one is going to
    clone to, don't boot XP with the new drive installed before you clone so it
    isn't assigned an ID and system letter. Then, after the clone, remove the
    old drive and boot with the new one. XP will find 'no assignments' existing
    (new drive unassigned and the old drive isn't there) and will allocate the
    new, and only, drive as system.

    That's usually sufficient for single partition clones.

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 21:51:44 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

    >On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:02:00 +0100, Luke Curtis
    ><mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
    >
    >>all I want to do is something very simple, clone my existing 250 gig
    >>boot hard drive (60 gig used) to another 80gig hard dive, currently I
    >>have only 1 hard drive in the PC which is allocated drive letter F.
    >

    >Then don't allocate it as F.
    >Your odd choice here is a potential to make any default
    >choices go awry. You could leave it as F, but if you do,
    >see below.

    I didn't want it as F, that's just what XP allocated it when I
    installed it, presumably because I had quite a few HD's connected at
    the time.

    >>I resized the 250gigs partition down to exactly the same size as the
    >>80 gigs hard drive
    >
    >Why?
    >Unnecessary, merely haven't less than 80G of data is
    >sufficient.
    The first program I tried, Drive Image refused to do it because the
    destination drive was too small.

    >>then I used Drive Image 7 (windows version) which
    >>cloned the disk fine but the new drive was allocated letter C,
    >
    >See? Here's where your prior choice caused a problem.
    >The solution is quite simple, after booting to the cloned
    >drive you'd go into Windows' Computer Managerment and
    >change the drive letter designation to F.
    Since it is the boot drive it will not allow me to change to drive
    letter

    >However, it is
    >unclear what your goal is, if you merely need a backup then
    >perhaps it would be better to simply have a backup image
    >rather than a manually created mirror.
    I want to take out the existing 250 gig HD which I do not use enough
    in this PC to another where it will be use much more effectively and
    replace it with a 80gig without all the hassle of reinstalling and
    spending the best part of a day setting up all the various programs,
    games and settings.

    >> so
    >>virtually all the programs didn't work and the system ran terribly as
    >>everything referred to F.
    >
    >Yeah, it's usually not a good idea to make the primary
    >partition for the OS something other than C. You don't have
    >to know why that is ahead of time, only that "C" is the
    >expected default partition and so if any particular
    >assignment "might' be a problem, it'd be an assignment other
    >than "C". Even so, if you had windows assign another letter
    >for the backup drive already by having it connected in
    >windows, again you'd need reassign the drive letter. It
    >takes a few seconds to reassign later but can also be a
    >positive thing in other scenarios.
    >

    >>version 6 (dos version) cloned the disk but did not make the partition
    >>active,
    >
    >Version 6 should be able to make a viable clone that can
    >boot and run. Recheck it's settings and when booting the
    >new clone, disconnect the other (original) drive for at
    >least the first boot.
    >

    >>once I had made it active it gets half way through and does a
    >>hardware reset.
    >
    >... and hook up the new clone drive to same IDE (or
    >SATA/other) channel position as the original drive was.
    I'll certainly try that but surely it shouldn't matter which position
    the drive is on, normally it will find the drive in the new position
    if you move it....

    --
    ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
    systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!
    Ihavetoknowwhatwhoeverdesigneditwastryingtoprotect!
    (Blakes 7, City on the Edge of the World - Vila in typical panic mode)

Homebuilt Hardware Hard Drives Systems