pc 133 ram trouble

hi, I just bought 512 mb of pc 133 ram for my computer which has 2
slots that had 2x 64 mb of pc 100 ram. When I install 512 mb of pac
133 ram it does not work? What is the problem? Do I need to buy Pc
100 ram and that should work or should the pc 133 work or how can i
make it work? I am running windows xp. I donno know what mother
board I have but it has an intel celeron 500 mhz processor. What can
I do to make the ram work?

smilyface wrote:

> hi, I just bought 512 mb of pc 133 ram for my computer which has 2
> slots that had 2x 64 mb of pc 100 ram. When I install 512 mb of pac
> 133 ram it does not work? What is the problem? Do I need to buy Pc
> 100 ram and that should work or should the pc 133 work or how can i
> make it work? I am running windows xp. I donno know what mother
> board I have but it has an intel celeron 500 mhz processor. What can
> I do to make the ram work?

Can't tell for sure without knowing what motherboard it is but it sounds
like you bought 'high density' RAM and it needs low density.

"smilyface" <boparai@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> hi, I just bought 512 mb of pc 133 ram for my computer which has 2
> slots that had 2x 64 mb of pc 100 ram. When I install 512 mb of pac
> 133 ram it does not work? What is the problem? Do I need to buy Pc
> 100 ram and that should work or should the pc 133 work or how can i
> make it work? I am running windows xp. I donno know what mother
> board I have but it has an intel celeron 500 mhz processor. What can
> I do to make the ram work?

Try downloading the Home Edition of Everest (free for home use) and give it
a run using the old memory.

It should be able to identify your motherboard so you can look up it's
capabilities at the manufacturers web page.

Some older motherboards will not take memory modules larger than 256Mb or
even 128Mb. To say nothing about the "real" antiques that are still
running.

It might even be an issue with a motherboard requiring memory with parity or
the option for that function is turned off in the BIOS.

smilyface wrote:
> hi, I just bought 512 mb of pc 133 ram for my computer which has 2
> slots that had 2x 64 mb of pc 100 ram. When I install 512 mb of pac
> 133 ram it does not work? What is the problem? Do I need to buy Pc
> 100 ram and that should work or should the pc 133 work or how can i
> make it work? I am running windows xp. I donno know what mother
> board I have but it has an intel celeron 500 mhz processor. What can
> I do to make the ram work?

There are a couple possibly culprits here....

The PC133 you bought may not be backwards compatable with PC100 (which I
expect a 500mhz process either runs at 5x100 or 9x66 and doesn't use
PC133 at all). Many brands (such as PNY) dropped backawards
compatability a long time ago.

The density of the ram could be wrong for your system. Most systems that
old require 16x8 layouts. Most of the new ram sold is high density 4
chip. Older memory controllers (like the 810, 440 series) just can't
deal with this stuff. They see maybe half of it on a good day, and some
setups don't see it at all.

You could be trying to put too large of a stick in the slot. Your board
may truly only support 128MB sticks, it may stop at supporting 256MB
sticks. You didn't say if you were putting in 2 256MB sticks, or 1
512MB stick. (There is virtually no way that with a chip that old the
chipset will support a single 512MB stick.)

The ram could be of a type that your board doesn't recognize
(Registered, buffered..etc)

Those are the pitfalls. When buying RAM you have to know your chipset,
and what your board can actually support. Buying RAM without those
things is making a blind purchase, and universally the "cheaper" stuff
will be the high density kind you can't use.

I suggest using the memory configurator at Crucial.com and finding out
the ram you need, and investigating exactly what motherboard and chipset
you do have.

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 12:23:24 GMT, Timbertea
<timbusenet@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>smilyface wrote:
>> hi, I just bought 512 mb of pc 133 ram for my computer which has 2
>> slots that had 2x 64 mb of pc 100 ram. When I install 512 mb of pac
>> 133 ram it does not work? What is the problem? Do I need to buy Pc
>> 100 ram and that should work or should the pc 133 work or how can i
>> make it work? I am running windows xp. I donno know what mother
>> board I have but it has an intel celeron 500 mhz processor. What can
>> I do to make the ram work?
>>

>There are a couple possibly culprits here....
>
>The PC133 you bought may not be backwards compatable with PC100 (which I
>expect a 500mhz process either runs at 5x100 or 9x66 and doesn't use
>PC133 at all). Many brands (such as PNY) dropped backawards
>compatability a long time ago.

Celeron 500 ran at 7.5 x 66.
Some boards (like Intel 810 w/integrated video) might run
memory bus at 100MHz. Either way, (or with another chipset)
typical low-density PC100 should work.

>The density of the ram could be wrong for your system. Most systems that
>old require 16x8 layouts. Most of the new ram sold is high density 4
>chip. Older memory controllers (like the 810, 440 series) just can't
>deal with this stuff. They see maybe half of it on a good day, and some
>setups don't see it at all.

True, that is the far most likely problem. However, it's
also quite possible the system can't take 512MB per slot,
that it has BOTH of these limitations.

A [256MB of PC100] module would be a good next-attempt.

kony wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 12:23:24 GMT, Timbertea
> <timbusenet@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>smilyface wrote:
>>
>>>hi, I just bought 512 mb of pc 133 ram for my computer which has 2
>>>slots that had 2x 64 mb of pc 100 ram. When I install 512 mb of pac
>>>133 ram it does not work? What is the problem? Do I need to buy Pc
>>>100 ram and that should work or should the pc 133 work or how can i
>>>make it work? I am running windows xp. I donno know what mother
>>>board I have but it has an intel celeron 500 mhz processor. What can
>>>I do to make the ram work?
>>>

>>There are a couple possibly culprits here....
>>
>>The PC133 you bought may not be backwards compatable with PC100 (which I
>>expect a 500mhz process either runs at 5x100 or 9x66 and doesn't use
>>PC133 at all). Many brands (such as PNY) dropped backawards
>>compatability a long time ago.
>

> Celeron 500 ran at 7.5 x 66.
> Some boards (like Intel 810 w/integrated video) might run
> memory bus at 100MHz. Either way, (or with another chipset)
> typical low-density PC100 should work.
>

>>The density of the ram could be wrong for your system. Most systems that
>>old require 16x8 layouts. Most of the new ram sold is high density 4
>>chip. Older memory controllers (like the 810, 440 series) just can't
>>deal with this stuff. They see maybe half of it on a good day, and some
>>setups don't see it at all.
>

> True, that is the far most likely problem. However, it's
> also quite possible the system can't take 512MB per slot,
> that it has BOTH of these limitations.

Being a celeron 500 system (likely an 810/810E) it's a good guess it has
both limitations but since he said simply "bought 512 meg" and mentioned 2
slots I presumed he got two 256 meg sticks.

In article <429d5678$1_2@alt.athenanews.com>, smilyface says...
> hi, I just bought 512 mb of pc 133 ram for my computer which has 2
> slots that had 2x 64 mb of pc 100 ram. When I install 512 mb of pac
> 133 ram it does not work? What is the problem? Do I need to buy Pc
> 100 ram and that should work or should the pc 133 work or how can i
> make it work? I am running windows xp. I donno know what mother
> board I have but it has an intel celeron 500 mhz processor. What can
> I do to make the ram work?

The RAM is not compatible with your motherboard.

--
Conor

"Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"

Ditto