2 Questions, please help!!

Question #1 - I have a 300 GB HD that I just installed WinXP on, my C drive
only shows 2GB and the rest is on the D drive. How do I combine the 2 so my
C drive is all 300GB?

Question #2 - After installing XP, the total capacity used for the install I
believe was about 950mb, but for some reason, I receive these messages that
say I'm running low on disk space (30mb left). Where do you suppose the
missing GB went? I have only installed XP on it so far, no other programs.
Help please.

Philo

Kevin M wrote:

> Question #1 - I have a 300 GB HD that I just installed WinXP on, my C
> drive
> only shows 2GB and the rest is on the D drive. How do I combine the 2 so
> my C drive is all 300GB?
>
> Question #2 - After installing XP, the total capacity used for the install
> I believe was about 950mb, but for some reason, I receive these messages
> that
> say I'm running low on disk space (30mb left). Where do you suppose the
> missing GB went? I have only installed XP on it so far, no other
> programs. Help please.

it sounds like you must have used fdisk first to setup the drive
then did not enable large drive support.

then best thing to do is merely bootup with the XP cd
and delete what you have and start over...
when you divide up the drive...be sure to no leave such a small primary
partition

1) You mis-partitioned the harddrive during the early part of the the XP
installation. You very much DO need to correct the problem, as 2 GB is much
too small for the XP boot partition.
2) Of the 2 GB available on your C: drive, something like 600 MB was used
to hold XP, and the remaining space (minus the 30 mb you mentioned) was used
by XP for the Windows swap file.
You need to correct the situation by inserting the XP installation CD into
the computer and booting from it. Then reinstall XP from scratch, TAKING
CARE TO delete the C: and D: Partitions that currently exist and just
setting up a sole C: partition.
Hope this helps :)

"Kevin M" <morrisk64@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Question #1 - I have a 300 GB HD that I just installed WinXP on, my C
> drive
> only shows 2GB and the rest is on the D drive. How do I combine the 2 so
> my
> C drive is all 300GB?
>
> Question #2 - After installing XP, the total capacity used for the install
> believe was about 950mb, but for some reason, I receive these messages
> that
> say I'm running low on disk space (30mb left). Where do you suppose the
> missing GB went? I have only installed XP on it so far, no other
> programs.
> Help please.

"Kevin M" <morrisk64@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Question #1 - I have a 300 GB HD that I just installed WinXP on, my C
> drive
> only shows 2GB and the rest is on the D drive. How do I combine the 2 so
> my
> C drive is all 300GB?
>
> Question #2 - After installing XP, the total capacity used for the install
> believe was about 950mb, but for some reason, I receive these messages
> that
> say I'm running low on disk space (30mb left). Where do you suppose the
> missing GB went? I have only installed XP on it so far, no other
> programs.
> Help please.

XP install i think is about 1.5 GB

if you created a seperate partition to install XP on at the initial setup
then your drive will appear as two partitions, the smaller of the two being
the partition where the OS installed, you might be able to use something
along the lines of partition magic to make the system partition larger by
deleting the other partition

Worst case scenario is a fresh install of XP

try the PM route first, I'm sure there will be a load of posts below this
one suggesting better software for the job, that may be so, but at least you
know where you need to be looking

HTH

Christo

Thanks everyone! I ended up reloading XP and deleting both C and D and it
worked out great, I got all 300GB on C now. Thanks for your help!

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:11:20 -0700, "DaveW" <none@zero.org>
wrote:

>1) You mis-partitioned the harddrive during the early part of the the XP
>installation. You very much DO need to correct the problem, as 2 GB is much
>too small for the XP boot partition.

That's not entirely true, if set up properly (and with
pagefile on another partition) it can easily be kept under
2GB, providing the apps aren't installed to C:\program files
as they default most often.

>2) Of the 2 GB available on your C: drive, something like 600 MB was used
>to hold XP, and the remaining space (minus the 30 mb you mentioned) was used
>by XP for the Windows swap file.

Doubtful, probably restore points and other clutter comprise
a large amount of space too, not to mention Microsoft's
brain-dead idea of the Microsoft Installer which causes near
double the amount of HDD space to be taken up by many apps.

>You need to correct the situation by inserting the XP installation CD into
>the computer and booting from it. Then reinstall XP from scratch, TAKING
>CARE TO delete the C: and D: Partitions that currently exist and just
>setting up a sole C: partition.
>Hope this helps :)
>

>> only shows 2GB and the rest is on the D drive. How do I combine the 2 so
>> my
>> C drive is all 300GB?

IMO, you do NOT want the OS on a 300GB sized partition.
That will cause more fragmentation of the files,
displacemetn on slower portions of the disk, and generally
make several kinds of scanning, searching, etc, tasks take
much longer... and also impedes some types of backup
strategies.

If you have a lot of sizeable apps to install, I suggest at
most a 15GB primary partition. Typical apps, a smaller size
like 8GB. Then set the remainder of the space to a 2nd
(or more) parititons.

I hope you don`t have to defrag it too often. It`ll be an overnight job. ..J

In article <%n0oe.20320$PR6.9152@tornado.texas.rr.com>, Kevin M says...
> Question #1 - I have a 300 GB HD that I just installed WinXP on, my C drive
> only shows 2GB and the rest is on the D drive. How do I combine the 2 so my
> C drive is all 300GB?
>
> Question #2 - After installing XP, the total capacity used for the install I
> believe was about 950mb, but for some reason, I receive these messages that
> say I'm running low on disk space (30mb left). Where do you suppose the
> missing GB went? I have only installed XP on it so far, no other programs.
> Help please.

1) www.bootitng.com

Download the trial and burn it to a CD. Use that CD to boot the
computer and it will allow you to resize the partitions.

2) Basic XP install is 1.5GB. THe rest will be used by the swapfile,
which changes size, and System Restore.

--
Conor

"Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"