USB Boot problem on Asus K7V Deluxe

Ok, I spent days trying *not* to have to clean-install my OS after a
harddrive failure, only to have to do it anyway today (thanks to
Symantec's knowledge base, apparently)...now that everything's working
again:

I'd like to work on another issue I've had since I've had multi-card
readers. I thought it was just the position on the USB ports but...

I have two multireaders - one's an internal, one's external. Ever since
I installed the internal, BIOS boot would hang at recognizing Device #1,
unless there was a CF card in. Hit the restart button, and it'd boot
normally.

While reinstalling my OS this am, I unplugged it, meaning to try it on
different internal ports. Then I thought - why don't I just use this
portable one? Hooked it up and, Lo and behold, it hung on boot (Still
at Device #1).

Why is this happening, and how can I fix it?

Stephen

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 21:15:47 +0100, jmc
<NOnewsgroupsSPAM@NOjodiBODY.HOMEus> had a flock of green cheek
conures squawk out:

>Ok, I spent days trying *not* to have to clean-install my OS after a
>harddrive failure, only to have to do it anyway today (thanks to
>Symantec's knowledge base, apparently)...now that everything's working
>again:
>
>I'd like to work on another issue I've had since I've had multi-card
>readers. I thought it was just the position on the USB ports but...
>
>I have two multireaders - one's an internal, one's external. Ever since
>I installed the internal, BIOS boot would hang at recognizing Device #1,
>unless there was a CF card in. Hit the restart button, and it'd boot
>normally.
>
>While reinstalling my OS this am, I unplugged it, meaning to try it on
>different internal ports. Then I thought - why don't I just use this
>portable one? Hooked it up and, Lo and behold, it hung on boot (Still
>at Device #1).
>
>Why is this happening, and how can I fix it?

Check the BIOS, you may have a setting in there that has enabled the
pc to boot off a usb device.

Stephen

There have been some problems with USB Devices on some Asus
Motherboards. If the devices are powered off the USB, then you may need
to check the jupers to insure they are powered on boot. It they try to
pull power and and none is available, then the system hangs.

On some motherboards from Asus sometimes the USB is actually wired wrong
and the back USB devices will not work if used. Some MB's were wired
backwards for the USB.

An underpowered power supply can cause problems also. You might need at
least the OS installed before USB will work properly. Without XP SP1
the USB may not work properly.

There is always a chance that your USB device is bad or needs a driver
installed.

jmc wrote:

> Ok, I spent days trying *not* to have to clean-install my OS after a
> harddrive failure, only to have to do it anyway today (thanks to
> Symantec's knowledge base, apparently)...now that everything's working
> again:
>
> I'd like to work on another issue I've had since I've had multi-card
> readers. I thought it was just the position on the USB ports but...
>
> I have two multireaders - one's an internal, one's external. Ever since
> I installed the internal, BIOS boot would hang at recognizing Device #1,
> unless there was a CF card in. Hit the restart button, and it'd boot
> normally.
>
> While reinstalling my OS this am, I unplugged it, meaning to try it on
> different internal ports. Then I thought - why don't I just use this
> portable one? Hooked it up and, Lo and behold, it hung on boot (Still
> at Device #1).
>
> Why is this happening, and how can I fix it?

Suddenly, without warning, Last Boy Scout exclaimed (05-Jun-05 2:49 AM):
> There have been some problems with USB Devices on some Asus
> Motherboards. If the devices are powered off the USB, then you may need
> to check the jupers to insure they are powered on boot. It they try to
> pull power and and none is available, then the system hangs.

These are just multicard readers, so no power involved.

> On some motherboards from Asus sometimes the USB is actually wired wrong
> and the back USB devices will not work if used. Some MB's were wired
> backwards for the USB.

The ports actually do work, they just hang when the BIOS boots, so I
think they must be wired correctly.

> An underpowered power supply can cause problems also. You might need at
> least the OS installed before USB will work properly. Without XP SP1
> the USB may not work properly.

I'm running Windows 2000, and my power supply is 450W, well under what
my system's drawing. The BIOS hanging problem is independent of whether
there's an OS installed.

> There is always a chance that your USB device is bad or needs a driver
> installed.

Perhaps if only one device caused the problem, but both do, and both
work fine otherwise, once I'm into the OS. No drivers needed, but
wouldn't need drivers at BIOS boot anyway.

"jmc" <NOnewsgroupsSPAM@NOjodiBODY.HOMEus> wrote in message

> Suddenly, without warning, Last Boy Scout exclaimed (05-Jun-05 2:49 AM):
>> There have been some problems with USB Devices on some Asus Motherboards.
>> If the devices are powered off the USB, then you may need to check the
>> jupers to insure they are powered on boot. It they try to pull power and
>> and none is available, then the system hangs.
>>
> These are just multicard readers, so no power involved.
>
>> On some motherboards from Asus sometimes the USB is actually wired wrong
>> and the back USB devices will not work if used. Some MB's were wired
>> backwards for the USB.
>>
> The ports actually do work, they just hang when the BIOS boots, so I think
> they must be wired correctly.
>
>> An underpowered power supply can cause problems also. You might need at
>> least the OS installed before USB will work properly. Without XP SP1 the
>> USB may not work properly.
>>
> I'm running Windows 2000, and my power supply is 450W, well under what my
> system's drawing. The BIOS hanging problem is independent of whether
> there's an OS installed.
>
>> There is always a chance that your USB device is bad or needs a driver
>> installed.
>>
> Perhaps if only one device caused the problem, but both do, and both work
> fine otherwise, once I'm into the OS. No drivers needed, but wouldn't
> need drivers at BIOS boot anyway.
>
>> jmc wrote:
>>
>>> I have two multireaders - one's an internal, one's external. Ever since
>>> I installed the internal, BIOS boot would hang at recognizing Device #1,
>>> unless there was a CF card in. Hit the restart button, and it'd boot
>>> normally.
>>>
>>> While reinstalling my OS this am, I unplugged it, meaning to try it on
>>> different internal ports. Then I thought - why don't I just use this
>>> portable one? Hooked it up and, Lo and behold, it hung on boot (Still
>>> at Device #1).
>>>
>>> Why is this happening, and how can I fix it?
Your bios is looking for a storage device at that spot during boot-up. That
is why it boots normally when there is a card in the reader. Turn off "Stop
on errors" in your bios. Might help. I get weird stuff happening if I keep
my multicard reader plugged in using XP Pro. I just plug it in when I need
it. Never cared a lot for the internal readers.

Ed