Should I plug in everything or just one at a time?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I’m building a computer so I’m wondering if I should connect
everything at the same time and just boot up. Or, is it way better to
do plug in one device at a time?

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-plug-time-ftopict56615.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=284621

forumposter32 wrote:
> I’m building a computer so I’m wondering if I should connect
> everything at the same time and just boot up. Or, is it way better to
> do plug in one device at a time?

I always plug everything in at once, double checking my work. If
problems arise you can revert to the basic booting hardware.

DRG

forumposter32 <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

> I’m building a computer so I’m wondering if I should connect
> everything at the same time and just boot up. Or, is it way
> better to do plug in one device at a time?

Plug in only the essentials first.

.... power supply

.... mainboard

.... memory (one stick)

.... CPU with fan

.... video card (or maybe built-in video)

.... keyboard

Make sure the CPU is seated properly and the CPU fan is running.

Nowadays, expecting everything to work, I plug in everything when
putting the system back together. But if something goes wrong, I
hunker down and remove everything except the essentials.

Good luck.

JohnS

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I always build the entire system up to completely done.
I think it is easier to troubleshoot if it fails. Mostly my
build ups don't fail. To me, plugging / unplugging, and
all the mess prevents enjoying the build up and doing
a neat job. Also, I'm relaxed and tend to pay attention
to making the proper connections, and mounting the
parts carefully. If I'm in a bad mood, I tend to forget
simple things, and the troubleshooting becomes a
process of doing everything over several times.

johns

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

No reason not to go for it all.
On 6 Jun 2005 07:36:38 -0400, forumposter32
<UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

>I’m building a computer so I’m wondering if I should connect
>everything at the same time and just boot up. Or, is it way better to
>do plug in one device at a time?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> I’m building a computer so I’m wondering if I should connect
> everything at the same time and just boot up. Or, is it way better to
> do plug in one device at a time?

Plug it all in. Makes you feel great when you fire it up for the
first time and everything works perfectly.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On 6 Jun 2005 07:36:38 -0400, forumposter32
<UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

>I’m building a computer so I’m wondering if I should connect
>everything at the same time and just boot up. Or, is it way better to
>do plug in one device at a time?

Well I always do it the opposite of everyone else I guess...

FIrt thing I do is get the board out, put minimal parts on
it like cpu, memory, video, hook the power supply up and get
it posting on a desk. This allows me to save time if
there were a problem, measure voltages before adding further
load, flash update the bios (after adding a floppy) with no
need to pull the board if something went wrong (which is
very rare, but it just makes more sense to me to do these
things in the order which makes problem-recovery easiest if
there were to be any problem.

Plus, with the board out I can better monitor temps,
including any potential hot-spots, in case the system case
needs airflow adjustments- I try to optimize cases to
providing minimal noise per adequate cooling, AND minimal
flow towards same end which reduces fan wear, dust buildup.
"Minimal" just meaning as close to what is actually needed,
where it's needed, as possible. Then again, for me it's
less interesting to see a box POST for the first time (don't
change a whole lot from one to another system), compared to
how the different designs cope (or don't) with
ever-increasing power demands, thermal dissipation, and of
course there's always the issue of getting a board and
finding out that it's simply not up to acceptible standards.

For example, a board may have working audio, but is it
clean? If connecting good headphones results in hearing
noise when moving the mouse during idle periods (mostly due
to direct output amp connected directly to system rails
rather than a linear regulator- a cost-savings measure), the
board either needs a sound card (if that's an acceptible
cost increase) or it gets returned. Such audio noise won't
get better with drivers and may get worse with more
componentns attached, it's often as good as it gets in a
minimal config with a new board. Thus, another reason
decide if it's decent before going to the trouble of
building a box with it.

So the gist of my post is about assessment- spending least
amount of time possible to determine if a board is deemed
suitable for the system in practice, with least amount of
work & time to rectify that if it's not... by not putting
the board into a system yet.

Philo

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On 6 Jun 2005 07:36:38 -0400, forumposter32
> <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm building a computer so I'm wondering if I should connect
>>everything at the same time and just boot up. Or, is it way better to
>>do plug in one device at a time?
>
> Well I always do it the opposite of everyone else I guess...

<snip>

and IMHO, correct!!!!

jad

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Put it all together......try it.......IF you screwed up then you'll have to
I'm not going to assume so. Most problems created by rookies is the lack of
reading skills when it comes to the manual. I never pray to anything/one, I
have complete confidence in my abilities. Not confident? That's not a
computer problem. ;^) A matter a preference not fact.

"forumposter32" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> I’m building a computer so I’m wondering if I should connect
> everything at the same time and just boot up. Or, is it way better to
> do plug in one device at a time?

request
> Topic URL:
http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-plug-time-ftopict56615.html
http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=284621

anna

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm building a computer so I'm wondering if I should connect
>>everything at the same time and just boot up. Or, is it way better to
>>do plug in one device at a time?

In my view, the advice you got from a number of responders to your query
that it's fine to install all your computer's components in one "fell swoop"
and then press the power button (saying a prayer at the same time no doubt)
is dreadfully wrong for nearly every new or inexperienced builder. Doing it
*that* way is a virtual prescription for experiencing hours of frustration &
misery.

The advice you got from Kony is the correct one. When you begin building
your computer you should have *one and only one objective* in mind at the
very outset. And that is to get a screen display using the *minimum* amount
of components to do so. That means installation of the motherboard, the CPU
(and CPU fan), heatsink, the RAM, the power supply, a video card, and a
connection to your monitor. NOTHING ELSE! You can connect a mouse and/or
keyboard at this point but even that is unnecessary at this stage. At this
point you boot to get a screen display. And when you do, you heave a great
sigh of relief because then you know that your basic components work. It's a
crucial first step. You do *not* go on until you correct what has to be
corrected to get a screen display.

And so it goes. You install one component at a time and test each out to
make sure it's functional and without defect. There's no magic to this
process. You must approach it methodically and systematically.

In my experience, the most significant mistake made by first-time or
inexperienced builders is that they assemble and install all the computer's
components before testing them step-by-step. Then when they turn on the
power and get that black screen, it's a much more tortuous & frustrating
process to learn why this happened, and more importantly, to correct the
situation.

I emphasize the above because, in my opinion, too many builders install all
the components without testing them every step of the way. And when problems
arise when all the components (hard drives, CD-ROMS, DVD-burners, graphics
cards, sound cards, etc.) it's the devil to diagnose, let alone correct
them. Take it step-by-step, making sure each component works, and you won't
be sorry. Yes, it will take a bit more time this way but it will result in
your avoiding hours of unnecessary work and frustration.

Anna

forumposter32 wrote:

> I’m building a computer so I’m wondering if I should connect
> everything at the same time and just boot up. Or, is it way better to
> do plug in one device at a time?

Depends on your perspective and how 'lucky' you feel.

I see the 'vast majority' plug it all together and go for broke, which is
one way, but those of us who do a lot of systems, and especially those who
also repair, will (usually) begin with the absolute minimum to first
establish that at least *something* works, in particular the mainboard,
cpu, mem, and video, as a starting point because if it's all together and
it doesn't work guess what you're going to do: strip it back down to bare
minimum to establish that at least the mainboard, CPU, mem, and video work.
So, unless you're one of the 'lucky' types, might as well do it the first
time through.

I say "usually" because the other method those who do it a lot use is the
"slap it all together because they're all working pulls anyway" approach
which, more often that we care to admit (praise be to Murphy), ends up with
it stripped back down to bare minimum to find out why the heck the known
working stuff isn't working ;)

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>> On 6 Jun 2005 07:36:38 -0400, forumposter32
>> <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm building a computer so I'm wondering if I should connect
>>>everything at the same time and just boot up. Or, is it way better to
>>>do plug in one device at a time?
>>
>> Well I always do it the opposite of everyone else I guess...
>

> <snip>
>
> and IMHO, correct!!!!

LOL..........I usually build the whole thing and hit the power button (pray
to the 'puter gods) and see if their is a problem. Usually not. If there is
a problem it is very easy to then unplug all but minimum (HDD, video,
memory. etc.) and go from there. IMO, most problems, at least mine, are
because I got into a hurry somewhere and made some dumb@&&# mistake during
the build and is usually obvious. For example, during the build of this
system I powered up and everything came to life except the
processor.....:). The problem was that I didn't have the main 24 pin MB
connector pushed all the way into the socket 'till it clicked. Easy
enough.......:)

Ed

Philo

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Ed Medlin wrote:

<snip>

>><snip>
>>
>>and IMHO, correct!!!!
>

> LOL..........I usually build the whole thing and hit the power button (pray
> to the 'puter gods) and see if their is a problem. Usually not. If there is
> a problem it is very easy to then unplug all but minimum (HDD, video,
> memory. etc.) and go from there. IMO, most problems, at least mine, are
> because I got into a hurry somewhere and made some dumb@&&# mistake during
> the build and is usually obvious. For example, during the build of this
> system I powered up and everything came to life except the
> processor.....:). The problem was that I didn't have the main 24 pin MB
> connector pushed all the way into the socket 'till it clicked. Easy
> enough.......:)

well my most common error is having the floppy's power connector pushed
in wrong...and the machine is totally dead until i replug it correctly :)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 10:28:05 -0400, "Anna" <myname@myisp.net>
wrote:

<snip>

>And so it goes. You install one component at a time and test each out to
>make sure it's functional and without defect. There's no magic to this
>process. You must approach it methodically and systematically.

Well I'd ideally be that methodical but I usually just test
the minimum, the board functions outside a case then when it
comes time to mount the board, I do finish up with all parts
already acquired at same time- though some shipments don't
come in at the same time and it's good to get as much as
possible tested (working) in case there's a need to RMA
part(s).

"kony" wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 10:28:05 -0400, "Anna" <myname@myisp.net>
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >And so it goes. You install one component at a time and test
> each out to
> >make sure it's functional and without defect. There's no
> magic to this
> >process. You must approach it methodically and
> systematically.
> >

> Well I'd ideally be that methodical but I usually just test
> the minimum, the board functions outside a case then when it
> comes time to mount the board, I do finish up with all parts
> already acquired at same time- though some shipments don't
> come in at the same time and it's good to get as much as
> possible tested (working) in case there's a need to RMA
> part(s).

OK, if I do plug and test everything one at a time, how do you TEST
things once they are plugged in? (I haven’t plugged in the computer
because my keyboard has not arrived and I am still house-sitting.)

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-plug-time-ftopict56615.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=287297

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

First place the motherboard on a piece of cardboard. Then put the memory
and the CPU in the motherboard. Then connect the power supply to the
motherboard and plug the power supply to the wall. Take a screw driver
and SHORT the 2 pins on the motherboard that connect to the power-on
button. If the motherboard is good it should start up and also beep.
You can connect a video card a keyboard and a mouse if you want to see
the messages from the BIOS. The computer should start up and not boot
without a drive attached or an operating system. However, the BIOS
should be able to cycle through and give you an error message.

If you assemble the computer and the motherboard is bad you will waste a
lot of time and have to take it apart.

forumposter32 wrote:
> I’m building a computer so I’m wondering if I should connect
> everything at the same time and just boot up. Or, is it way better to
> do plug in one device at a time?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On 7 Jun 2005 22:35:42 -0400, forumposter32
<UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

> > Well I'd ideally be that methodical but I usually just test
> > the minimum, the board functions outside a case then when it
> > comes time to mount the board, I do finish up with all parts
> > already acquired at same time- though some shipments don't
> > come in at the same time and it's good to get as much as
> > possible tested (working) in case there's a need to RMA
> > part(s).
>
>OK, if I do plug and test everything one at a time, how do you TEST
>things once they are plugged in? (I haven’t plugged in the computer
>because my keyboard has not arrived and I am still house-sitting.)

Well I suppose I'd get a keyboard... the situation may vary
as I have sufficient spare parts to do this, I only
mentioned what "I" do. As for how to test, first and
foremost you test the basic functions- that they are as
expected. Some things I've become more critical of are
capacitor temps, onboard audio quality (though I am
particularly picky about audio sometimes, I build my own
audio amps too as a hobby). Even so, anyone should find
noise coming out of the headphone jack unacceptible when
there is nothing "playing", even when the inputs are muted.

Other gotchas are northbridge fans- expect them to fail if
they don't turn pretty slowly... you can mod them but then
the warranty is gone- depends what kind of owner or builder
you are if you choose to try to make more reliable systems
or choose to preserve warranties... each path has merits,
though I suppose some mods are reversible and undetectible
later, providing the mod itself didn't cause problems
leading to failure (I'd not suggest somone should pay for an
unrelated manufacturer's design or parts mistake but on the
other hand if someone replaces (for example,) their video
card heatsink and it ends up overheating the card to the
point where the caps pop- they shouldn't just put the
original fan back on and RMA it, to create the appearance
that they'd not modified it in the interim).

Run memory tests, CPU stress tests, take voltages and temp
readings. ZIP or RAR some huge files and check integrity.
Benchmark the drives, touch-test parts for thermal problems.
Examine the board under a strong light- if something looks
wrong, keep it in mind and be sure to more thoroughly test
(what seems to be) the related subcircuit/function. Systems
being quite complex, this can vary- you do what "you" can to
be sure you're accepting a product that works as advertised
and that you continue to be willing to accept the purchase
price for (it's value).

Plug a "thing" into every port and see that they work.
Check the system clock when you start and compare it two
days later to see if it's accurate enough. Take battery
voltage reading- some things may not be worth an RMA though,
a battery is $2, missing USB dongle is $5, damaged CD is
almost non-relevant as I always use the newest drivers
downloaded from the chipset manufacturers, only falling back
to motherboard manufacturers' drivers when necessary.

I also like to loop 3DMark (whichever version is appropriate
for the video whether it be integrated or 2005- I archive
all this stuff so it's available.

The list goes on or stops short- depending on the intended
use of the system. With limited parts on hand I suggest
that you test what you can when you can, and ideally put all
the software on a bootable CD, unless you have an available
LAN or sufficiently sized enternal
drive/thumbdrive/whatever.

> Ed Medlin wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>>
>>><snip>
>>>
>>>and IMHO, correct!!!!
>>

>> LOL..........I usually build the whole thing and hit the power button
>> (pray to the 'puter gods) and see if their is a problem. Usually not. If
>> there is a problem it is very easy to then unplug all but minimum (HDD,
>> video, memory. etc.) and go from there. IMO, most problems, at least
>> mine, are because I got into a hurry somewhere and made some dumb@&&#
>> mistake during the build and is usually obvious. For example, during the
>> build of this system I powered up and everything came to life except the
>> processor.....:). The problem was that I didn't have the main 24 pin MB
>> connector pushed all the way into the socket 'till it clicked. Easy
>> enough.......:)
>

> well my most common error is having the floppy's power connector pushed in
> wrong...and the machine is totally dead until i replug it correctly :)

hehe.......that too.

Ed

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Ed Medlin wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>>
>>><snip>
>>>
>>>and IMHO, correct!!!!
>>

>> LOL..........I usually build the whole thing and hit the power button
>> (pray to the 'puter gods) and see if their is a problem. Usually not. If
>> there is a problem it is very easy to then unplug all but minimum (HDD,
>> video, memory. etc.) and go from there. IMO, most problems, at least
>> mine, are because I got into a hurry somewhere and made some dumb@&&#
>> mistake during the build and is usually obvious. For example, during the
>> build of this system I powered up and everything came to life except the
>> processor.....:). The problem was that I didn't have the main 24 pin MB
>> connector pushed all the way into the socket 'till it clicked. Easy
>> enough.......:)
>

> well my most common error is having the floppy's power connector pushed in
> wrong...and the machine is totally dead until i replug it correctly :)

its a pain the floppy drive power connector.... need small hands to get in
there, haha

Roderick

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2004

"forumposter32" wrote:
> I'm building a computer so I'm wondering if I should connect
> everything at the same time and just boot up. Or, is it way
> better to do plug in one device at a time?

I’m new to this board, so if I’m off base in any way, let me know. It
will not hurt my feelings.

First, after building 6-8 systems, I have decided to get the basic
system booting (mobo, minimum memory, the boot HD, keyboard) and
willing to load a CD XP before adding anything else.

I use the case because I don’t have a shop bench with mounting stand
for the mobo set up. I have determined to have sufficient standoffs on
hand before I start. Skimping on standoffs here always leads to too
much mobo flexing when forcing in memory sticks, PCI cards, etc.

My biggest problem is always getting the BIO to see the HDDs. The
latest is SATA wasn’t seen because my XP disk is too old to have the
SATA driver. And, I didn’t understand that when XP asks for "RAID"
drivers, it really means things like SATA drivers too.

That brings up another point. I have gone back to using a floppy
drive because drivers, such as the SATA, are easier to load at that
point from floppy and made from another PC. So the floppy should be
added to the initial list of HW in the initial boot.

I only build a PC about every two years, and the peripherals, memory
and other things change frequently enough that I always get a couple
of surprises.

Overall, my wife thinks I’m still a ham radio opeator kid to do this
myself, but I just can’t stand the Dell route with special HDD power
connectors, restricted BIOS setting EEPROM, etc. I am willing to pay
for and take the time to have full flexibility.

I hope that some of this is useful. You all have a great board here!

Roderick

"roderick" <DoNotEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message >

> Overall, my wife thinks I'm still a ham radio opeator kid to do this
> myself,

My wife says I'm still playing with my "Erector Set".

"Gary C" wrote:
> "roderick" <DoNotEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message >
>
> > Overall, my wife thinks I'm still a ham radio opeator kid to
> do this
> > myself,
>
> My wife says I'm still playing with my "Erector Set".

What are all the drivers you need to update for a motherboard? (I
have an Asus A7V600-X.)

I also have...
Duron 1.8 GHz CPU
Spire Whisper Rock IV heatsink
Kingston 512 MB RAM 400 MHz non-ECC
Western Digital Caviar 60 GB HD 7200 RPM 8 MB buffer ATA-100
NEC ND3520 DVD burner
Mad Dog Multimedia Raptor Ti4200 video card
Enermax noisetaker 420 watt power supply
Enermax case
Altec Lansing speakers
AOpen mouse
AOpen keyboard
Alps Electric floppy drive

Although the keyboard has not arrived yet, I’m real excited about this
machine. (I have Celeron 667 MHz and Geforce2 MX200.) I found a good
review on the motherboard, and great reviews on the heatsink, hard
drive, DVD burner, video card, power supply. The Kingston RAM was
also recommended by Asus for the board. And the Duron 1.8 GHz is said
to be more powerful than the Athlon XP 2100+.
Next year I might get a 6600 GT video card and Sempron 3700+ and Abit
KV8 Pro motherboard. That should rock!!! And it would also be
Win98SE compatible. I want to have a dual boot computer so... :)

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-plug-time-ftopict56615.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=290408

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On 19 Jun 2005 02:36:45 -0400, forumposter32
<UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

>"Gary C" wrote:
> > "roderick" <DoNotEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message >
> >
> > > Overall, my wife thinks I'm still a ham radio opeator kid to
> > do this
> > > myself,
> >
> > My wife says I'm still playing with my "Erector Set".
>
>What are all the drivers you need to update for a motherboard? (I
>have an Asus A7V600-X.)

Via 4in1 "Hyperion Pro"
Sound
SATA (if yours has SATA, I thought it does but forget what
is missing on the "-X" variant".
Possibly network adapter driver too.
Asus PcProbe hardware monitor

It's easier to just go to Asus' website, the download
section per board is categorized making it easier to get all
drivers. PcProbe may need be sought separate from the
motherboard drivers section though, just search on their
main search box for that.

After you see and get those, you might consider visiting the
respective chipset manufacturer's website and also getting
the newest drivers available too- then using those newer
drivers instead of those Asus provides when possible.