WD40 and MB?!

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

I thought I was spraying compressed air to clean the dust off my MB.
However, I had accidentally picked up the can of WD40!
Will this do anything to the MB???
I feel like an idiot.
-Pete

"Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I thought I was spraying compressed air to clean the dust off my MB.
> However, I had accidentally picked up the can of WD40!
> Will this do anything to the MB???
> I feel like an idiot.
> -Pete

hehehe.......at least you admit it. It shouldn't be a problem as it isn't
very conductive. I would take a lint free cloth and carefully wipe it down
as best you can. If it is any consolation, WD 40 doesn't hang around
forever. It is a dust and dirt magnet until it finally dries up in a month
or two. Funny though. I am looking at my shelf right now at my compressed
air can.......guess what is sitting right next to it.......:)

Ed

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

"Ed Medlin" <ed@edmedlin.com> wrote in message

> "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >I thought I was spraying compressed air to clean the dust off my MB.
> > However, I had accidentally picked up the can of WD40!
> > Will this do anything to the MB???
> > I feel like an idiot.
> > -Pete
> >

> hehehe.......at least you admit it. It shouldn't be a problem as it isn't
> very conductive. I would take a lint free cloth and carefully wipe it down
> as best you can. If it is any consolation, WD 40 doesn't hang around
> forever. It is a dust and dirt magnet until it finally dries up in a month
> or two. Funny though. I am looking at my shelf right now at my compressed
> air can.......guess what is sitting right next to it.......:)
>
> Ed

All us geeks are the same....
:)

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 06:53:37 GMT, "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com>
wrote:

>I thought I was spraying compressed air to clean the dust off my MB.
>However, I had accidentally picked up the can of WD40!
>Will this do anything to the MB???
>I feel like an idiot.
>-Pete

It won't do immediate damage but may create a mess and fould
contacts due to accumulation of dust. Might depend on how
much you sprayed too.

What "I" would do is pull the board, spray it quite
liberally with contact cleaner after removing any fans and
holding a piece of plastic over the CPU socket... no need to
spray out areas that were previously covered and don't have
WD40 in them, but leaving the CPU in while spraying the
cleaner could actually cause some flushed-out WD40 to wick
into the socket area, whereas with the plastic you can
quickly remove it and blot-up any remaining solvent with a
lint-free cloth before it dries.

However, if the board has paper stickers on it, and if
you're sending it to a customer, that may cosmetically
destroy the stickers... you'll have to decide which is
worse, you can always remove the stickers but then the
warranty might be void.

Phisherman

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 06:53:37 GMT, "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote:

>I thought I was spraying compressed air to clean the dust off my MB.
>However, I had accidentally picked up the can of WD40!
>Will this do anything to the MB???
>I feel like an idiot.
>-Pete

Maybe. Take the real can of compressed air, blow it off, put it in a
sunny window for a couple days, then cross your fingers.

>I thought I was spraying compressed air to clean the dust off my MB.
>However, I had accidentally picked up the can of WD40!
>Will this do anything to the MB???
>I feel like an idiot.
>-Pete

You're in luck, fish oil on the mobo won't matter at all.

May I ask why you all have WD40 near computer repair/service equipment?
Am I missing something in servicing computers? I've been known to mod
on occasion but my WD40 and cutting oil is next to the drill. This is a
serious question.

DRG

Pete wrote:

> I thought I was spraying compressed air to clean the dust off my MB.
> However, I had accidentally picked up the can of WD40!
> Will this do anything to the MB???
> I feel like an idiot.
> -Pete

Can probably just wipe most of it off. It will leave a film, but some
100% rubbing alchohol might help to remove it. This is what is
recommended to clean heat sinks. Spraying the CPU might ruin it. WD40
is very filmy and likes to cling and coat and soak into metal parts.

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 20:52:28 -0400, AndrewJ
<ajpk3@hotmail.comremove> wrote:

>>I thought I was spraying compressed air to clean the dust off my MB.
>>However, I had accidentally picked up the can of WD40!
>>Will this do anything to the MB???
>>I feel like an idiot.
>>-Pete
>
>You're in luck, fish oil on the mobo won't matter at all.

I'd question whether any oil at all is safe if it wicks
under the electrolytic capacitors, gets in their seals.

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 23:38:30 -0500, Last Boy Scout
<eggbtr@ezl.com> wrote:

>Pete wrote:
>
>> I thought I was spraying compressed air to clean the dust off my MB.
>> However, I had accidentally picked up the can of WD40!
>> Will this do anything to the MB???
>> I feel like an idiot.
>> -Pete
>>

>Can probably just wipe most of it off. It will leave a film, but some
>100% rubbing alchohol might help to remove it. This is what is
>recommended to clean heat sinks. Spraying the CPU might ruin it. WD40
>is very filmy and likes to cling and coat and soak into metal parts.

It won't ruin a CPU, I've even used WD40 to clean off
sticker goo because some vendors <cough>Newegg</cough> like
to put them on OEM chips. However, if you clean off the
WD40 with something that conducts electricity, it could take
a long drying time if it gets into the heat-spreader cavity.
It could be damaging to use Acetone or other strong solvents
on a CPU though.

"drg" <da@ovrclkr.com> wrote in message
> May I ask why you all have WD40 near computer repair/service equipment? Am
> I missing something in servicing computers? I've been known to mod on
> occasion but my WD40 and cutting oil is next to the drill. This is a
> serious question.
>
> DRG

Actually, my office chair occaisionally starts to squeak anoyingly and I
keep it around to stop that. I keep WD around every workspace at my home. It
just so happens that it is sitting right next to my compressed air can on
the shelf. I also use a lot of thumbscrews with my stainless steel case and
a little tad on the threads helps with that too.

Ed

In article <SbBpe.12342$Oq7.11913@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, Ed Medlin wrote:

> "drg" <da@ovrclkr.com> wrote in message
>> May I ask why you all have WD40 near computer repair/service equipment? Am
>> I missing something in servicing computers? I've been known to mod on
>> occasion but my WD40 and cutting oil is next to the drill. This is a
>> serious question.

> Actually, my office chair occaisionally starts to squeak anoyingly and I
> keep it around to stop that. I keep WD around every workspace at my home. It
> just so happens that it is sitting right next to my compressed air can on
> the shelf. I also use a lot of thumbscrews with my stainless steel case and
> a little tad on the threads helps with that too.

You're not the first and won't be the last - I've picked up a can of
spraymount in place of an airduster before now. Fortunately that was on a
laser printer mirror so after some quick thinking I cleaned it off with a
rag soaked with some meths.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

In article <Ikppe.741$%j7.457@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>, drg says...
> May I ask why you all have WD40 near computer repair/service equipment?

Switch cleaner.

--
Conor

"Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"

In article <ietca1l806rd2ms1veu8of40dpkgjrlh0t@4ax.com>, kony says...

> I'd question whether any oil at all is safe if it wicks
> under the electrolytic capacitors, gets in their seals.

Err...oil is an insulator. Just exactly what do you think it'll do?

--

Conor wrote:
> In article <ietca1l806rd2ms1veu8of40dpkgjrlh0t@4ax.com>, kony says...
>

>>I'd question whether any oil at all is safe if it wicks
>>under the electrolytic capacitors, gets in their seals.
>>

> Err...oil is an insulator. Just exactly what do you think it'll do?

He's concerned about whether it reacts with other compounds, like plastic,
in things like capacitor seals, or leaching through them.

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:07:14 GMT, "Ed Medlin"
<ed@edmedlin.com> wrote:

>"drg" <da@ovrclkr.com> wrote in message
>> May I ask why you all have WD40 near computer repair/service equipment? Am
>> I missing something in servicing computers? I've been known to mod on
>> occasion but my WD40 and cutting oil is next to the drill. This is a
>> serious question.
>>
>> DRG
>
>Actually, my office chair occaisionally starts to squeak anoyingly and I
>keep it around to stop that.

That's likely why it starts squeaking again so soon- WD40 is
not a proper lubricant, there are spray-greases that would
work far better.

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 17:41:38 +0100, Conor
<conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote:

>In article <ietca1l806rd2ms1veu8of40dpkgjrlh0t@4ax.com>, kony says...
>
>> I'd question whether any oil at all is safe if it wicks
>> under the electrolytic capacitors, gets in their seals.
>>
>Err...oil is an insulator. Just exactly what do you think it'll do?

Damage the rubber seals allowing leakage, and foul the
electrolyte.

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:07:14 GMT, "Ed Medlin"
> <ed@edmedlin.com> wrote:
>

>>"drg" <da@ovrclkr.com> wrote in message
>>> May I ask why you all have WD40 near computer repair/service equipment?
>>> Am
>>> I missing something in servicing computers? I've been known to mod on
>>> occasion but my WD40 and cutting oil is next to the drill. This is a
>>> serious question.
>>>
>>> DRG
>>
>>Actually, my office chair occaisionally starts to squeak anoyingly and I
>>keep it around to stop that.
>
> That's likely why it starts squeaking again so soon- WD40 is
> not a proper lubricant, there are spray-greases that would
> work far better.
Yea, I know. but that is what I have around. It keeps it quiet for a few
months anyway. A little disassembly and some real grease would probably do
it for good, but who has the time.......:) At least when my wife yells for
me to fix the squeaky chair before it drives her nuts, I make myself seem
useful.....:)

Ed

In article <pphea1h0jqfg4mimjlorekh7s9qmh9bqem@4ax.com>, kony says...
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 17:41:38 +0100, Conor
> <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <ietca1l806rd2ms1veu8of40dpkgjrlh0t@4ax.com>, kony says...
> >
> >> I'd question whether any oil at all is safe if it wicks
> >> under the electrolytic capacitors, gets in their seals.
> >>
> >Err...oil is an insulator. Just exactly what do you think it'll do?
>
> Damage the rubber seals allowing leakage, and foul the
> electrolyte.

Damage the rubber its designed to work with....OK.

--
Conor

"Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 21:10:20 +0100, Conor
<conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote:

>In article <pphea1h0jqfg4mimjlorekh7s9qmh9bqem@4ax.com>, kony says...
>> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 17:41:38 +0100, Conor
>> <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <ietca1l806rd2ms1veu8of40dpkgjrlh0t@4ax.com>, kony says...

>> >Err...oil is an insulator. Just exactly what do you think it'll do?
>>
>> Damage the rubber seals allowing leakage, and foul the
>> electrolyte.
>>
>Damage the rubber its designed to work with....OK.

??

Show me where WD40 is spec'd as safe for use on all types of
rubber... then show me where you can be sure all caps have
same type of seal. WD40 is a petroleum based product and
cannot be considered inert to all substances unless "they"
mention otherwise.

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:37:28 GMT, drg <da@ovrclkr.com> put finger to
keyboard and composed:

>May I ask why you all have WD40 near computer repair/service equipment?
> Am I missing something in servicing computers? I've been known to mod
>on occasion but my WD40 and cutting oil is next to the drill. This is a
>serious question.

WD40 = Water Displacement formula #40.

The only place I use this stuff is on the distributor cap and spark
plug leads, and as a rust penetrant. I keep it well away from
electronics.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar wrote:

> WD40 = Water Displacement formula #40.
>
> The only place I use this stuff is on the distributor cap and spark
> plug leads, and as a rust penetrant. I keep it well away from
> electronics.

I had great success cleaning and slightly lubing my old ball controlled
mouse with WD-40. I just let it dry overnight. [This was before optically
controlled mice became commonplace.]

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 21:17:45 -0700, ric <nospam@home.com>
wrote:

>Franc Zabkar wrote:
>
>> WD40 = Water Displacement formula #40.
>>
>> The only place I use this stuff is on the distributor cap and spark
>> plug leads, and as a rust penetrant. I keep it well away from
>> electronics.
>
>I had great success cleaning and slightly lubing my old ball controlled
>mouse with WD-40. I just let it dry overnight. [This was before optically
>controlled mice became commonplace.]

What need is there for WD40 in a mouse?
The optical sensors would be better without any residue, and
the rollers shouldn't have any WD40 in the middle, only at
the pivotal points (ends), if even that is necessary. I
suspect your mouse works in spite of WD40 rather than
because of it. That is, plain 91% Alcohol should've done
even bettern then a drop of grease on the ends of the
rollers.

WD40 is a water displacer. It is an inferior alternative
for anything else, including lubing, cleaning, and freeing
up rusted bolts/etc, or getting that old carb freed up.
Just my opinion, it may do more passibly but not as well as
common inexpensive alternatives.

kony wrote:

> >I had great success cleaning and slightly lubing my old ball controlled
> >mouse with WD-40. I just let it dry overnight. [This was before optically
> >controlled mice became commonplace.]
>
> What need is there for WD40 in a mouse?
> The optical sensors would be better without any residue, and
> the rollers shouldn't have any WD40 in the middle, only at
> the pivotal points (ends), if even that is necessary.

As I said above, it worked great for cleaning a lightly lubing my
*old BALL CONTROLLED* mouse. No optical sensors there.

> I suspect your mouse works in spite of WD40 rather than
> because of it.

The mouse is no longer in use. (I use a MX700 now.) The WD-40 treatment
worked great in freeing up a balky mouse ball. It just had to dry well
overnight.

> That is, plain 91% Alcohol should've done
> even bettern then a drop of grease on the ends of the
> rollers.

I never use alcohol on rubber parts. Tends to dry them out.

ric wrote:
> kony wrote:
>

>>>I had great success cleaning and slightly lubing my old ball controlled
>>>mouse with WD-40. I just let it dry overnight. [This was before optically
>>>controlled mice became commonplace.]
>>
>>What need is there for WD40 in a mouse?
>>The optical sensors would be better without any residue, and
>>the rollers shouldn't have any WD40 in the middle, only at
>>the pivotal points (ends), if even that is necessary.
>

> As I said above, it worked great for cleaning a lightly lubing my
> *old BALL CONTROLLED* mouse. No optical sensors there.

The typical "ball controlled" mouse has an optical encoder wheel on both of
the shafts (X and Y) the ball turns.

<snip>