Your question

new machine, nic problem already! *DELETED*

Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
March 19, 2003 3:00:05 PM

Post deleted by backflash001
Anonymous
March 20, 2003 1:53:05 PM

anyone? I really need help.. I can't do my work without the internet..
March 20, 2003 2:20:56 PM

Im assuming the drivers are installed and no problems are found with the nic card, correct?
Are the lights on the nic on and blinking with the cable plugged in? if not then u have a bad cable.
Have u tried connecting directly to the cable modem?
an ip address of 0.0.0.0.0 is no ip.
Have u tried running the network wizard?
Related resources
Anonymous
March 20, 2003 5:20:46 PM

The cables are all plugged in and everyting works hardware wise. The lights come one and everything.

I think that the problem is that it cannot find the DHCP server for some reason. This normally dosent need any configuration at all..

I have set the TCP/IP properties to obtain an IP address automatically and obtain DNS server automatically.

In advanced TCP/IP Settings DHCP is Enabled.

When I run ipconfig it says that the ip of the computer is 169.254.11.240. Windows XP Help says that this is an address that is issued automatically when the DHCP server cannot be found.
To confirm this, "ipconfig /renew" gives the following error message:

"An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 3 : unable to c
ontact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

Windows XP Network Diagnostics says:
"DHCPServer = 255.255.255.255(Invalid IP Address)"

Under the status of my connection it says 0 packets have been sent and 0 have been received. The connection speed is at 100mb/s, but the network can only run at 10mbs. Obviously, the connection cannot be made between the DHCP server and my computer...

NOTE: I set the Default gateway to my router IP (10.0.0.138), but it really didn't help the problem.

C:\DOCUME~1\ZACH>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : zach-qpe1bemdiw
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Asound 10/100M Based Fast Ethernet C
ard #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-2A-C0-A1-CF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.11.240
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
March 20, 2003 10:27:31 PM

you said u changed the gateway on the router? can u access the router or not? and what router is it.
if u can access, is dhcp enabled on the router?

on my ipconfig/all ip routing is yes.
IP Address 192.168.1.100
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers 68.57.192.5

Have u tried connecting directly to the cable modem - no router - to rule out the nic being bad.
Can u access the router from another computer and make sure the settings are same as whats showing on your computer?
try another nic and see if that helps.
March 30, 2003 1:29:50 PM

OMFG!!! Any tech that says that should be fired! I assume that it only has four zeroes? This is generally due to a fault in DHCP Server/Client communications. My first guess would be that there are more than 10 clients in your network and that you are using the default internet connection sharing in XP or 2000. You can only connect 10 clients to connection sharing in windows without a server (including the one that shares). What will happen is that the dhcp server (internet conection sharing (ICS) machine) can not give out another address. It might be that they never communicate, but then you should get a 169.254.x.x (this is called an APIPA address (Automatic Private IP Addressing).
Considering that your gateway is 10.0.0.138 you could try an address of 10.0.0.x and give it the same net mask as the router (if you don't know the router's netmask try one of these 255.0.0.0, 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0). Make sure that you don't use the same ip address as someone else.
As for the "DHCPServer = 255.255.255.255(Invalid IP Address)" message; this is a valid ip address (apparently someone in Redmond have never heard of a broadcast). Your machine sends a broadcast (ip 255.255.255.255) upon boot asking if someone out there is a dhcp server (a broadcast goes out to all hosts on the (logical, not physical) network.
If you give me a little more information about your setup (How are you connected, are there any switches, hubs or routers (if so where are they in the network) and how many computers are there in the network), it would be easier for me to help.

Hope this helps a little...

Poor windows was not a brave soul. Threatened by the force of General Protection and Major Problem the little OS committed suicide by hanging.
March 31, 2003 11:36:50 AM

you sure the "cables work"? How do you know?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
!