Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2005 11:57:31 AM

I have a soyo k7vem-pro mobo that is apparently on its way out. I want
to replace it without losing all the custom settings and installed
apps, etc on this computer. ( I use this machine for music recording
and have tons of tweaks to win xp, services turned off, everything
exactly as I like it).

Can I replace a mobo without the need to reinstall windows, reformat
the drive, etc?

My original thought was to find another mobo of the exact same model,
but they seem to be unavailable. Not even sure I can find another soyo
board with the same chipset, etc.

I really do not want to have to 'start over' with this machine. Other
than the mobo suffering from neglect and exposure - my fault - the rest
of the rig is exactly perfect!

Any other suggestions on how to do this are greatly appreciated.

More about : replacing motherboard

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2005 12:30:37 PM

>>You're not going to get away scot free on this one.

Darn! Thanks kindly for the info, John.
I will be sure to b/u everything first, just in case.

I used to be able to b/u over my local network, but part of the mobo
illness is the loss of my onboard lan! Time to start burning cds, I
suppose.

thanks again
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2005 2:14:11 PM

Thanks Kony!

That link looks perfect, and arsenal has good reviews... I think I will
just order another and swap. This would definitely be simpler and
faster than rebuilding the pc altogether (and I will take care of this
one!)
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2005 7:10:49 PM

Michael 23 wrote:
> I have a soyo k7vem-pro mobo that is apparently on its way out. I want
> to replace it without losing all the custom settings and installed
> apps, etc on this computer. ( I use this machine for music recording
> and have tons of tweaks to win xp, services turned off, everything
> exactly as I like it).
>
> Can I replace a mobo without the need to reinstall windows, reformat
> the drive, etc?
>
> My original thought was to find another mobo of the exact same model,
> but they seem to be unavailable. Not even sure I can find another soyo
> board with the same chipset, etc.
>
> I really do not want to have to 'start over' with this machine. Other
> than the mobo suffering from neglect and exposure - my fault - the
> rest of the rig is exactly perfect!
>
> Any other suggestions on how to do this are greatly appreciated.

You're not going to get away scot free on this one.

You will have to install new mobo/chipset drivers. The old drive should
work, but windows will definitely want to be reactivated, and you will need
to do a repair install (at least).

I would recommend that you use the files and settings transfer wizard to
save your current settings and make sure you have a good backup of anything
important before you proceed. Unfortunately, this does not save everything
(settings within programs, for instance).

Good luck,

John.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2005 7:59:10 PM

If you change the motherboard in a computer that is running XP, then you
MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you
will have nasty Registry errors and ongoing data corruption.

--
DaveW

"Michael 23" <zionblue@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a soyo k7vem-pro mobo that is apparently on its way out. I want
> to replace it without losing all the custom settings and installed
> apps, etc on this computer. ( I use this machine for music recording
> and have tons of tweaks to win xp, services turned off, everything
> exactly as I like it).
>
> Can I replace a mobo without the need to reinstall windows, reformat
> the drive, etc?
>
> My original thought was to find another mobo of the exact same model,
> but they seem to be unavailable. Not even sure I can find another soyo
> board with the same chipset, etc.
>
> I really do not want to have to 'start over' with this machine. Other
> than the mobo suffering from neglect and exposure - my fault - the rest
> of the rig is exactly perfect!
>
> Any other suggestions on how to do this are greatly appreciated.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2005 8:03:20 PM

On 13 Jun 2005 07:57:31 -0700, "Michael 23"
<zionblue@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a soyo k7vem-pro mobo that is apparently on its way out. I want
>to replace it without losing all the custom settings and installed
>apps, etc on this computer. ( I use this machine for music recording
>and have tons of tweaks to win xp, services turned off, everything
>exactly as I like it).
>
>Can I replace a mobo without the need to reinstall windows,

It's possible. Primarily you'd need the hardware
enumeration strings and drivers in place. In particular the
IDE driver.

The other alternative is a repair install. For "most"
people this is the best route.

>reformat
>the drive, etc?

That should not be necessary.

>My original thought was to find another mobo of the exact same model,
>but they seem to be unavailable. Not even sure I can find another soyo
>board with the same chipset, etc.

http://www.arsenalpc.com/details.asp?ItemID=3152&Res=4

Mention Pricewatch to get it a little cheaper,
http://castle.pricewatch.com/s/search.asp?s=soyo+k7vem-...

>I really do not want to have to 'start over' with this machine. Other
>than the mobo suffering from neglect and exposure - my fault - the rest
>of the rig is exactly perfect!
>
>Any other suggestions on how to do this are greatly appreciated.

Because that board uses PC133 memory, upgrading to a more
modern board with integral video (or even without) would
require purchasing DDR memory too. That's your call to
make, I presume that ultimate performance is not the goal
since you had integrated video to begin with.

Odds are very good that you could plug-n-play any other Via
KLE133 chipset based board, if not the same exact model as
you already had. However, buying same board is certainly
the easiest route.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2005 4:37:15 AM

> If you change the motherboard in a computer that is running XP, then you
> MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise
> you will have nasty Registry errors and ongoing data corruption.

Really? I replaced my motherboard 10 months ago without reformatting, and
have had no such problems.

> "Michael 23" <zionblue@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a soyo k7vem-pro mobo that is apparently on its way out. I want
>> to replace it without losing all the custom settings and installed
>> apps, etc on this computer. ( I use this machine for music recording
>> and have tons of tweaks to win xp, services turned off, everything
>> exactly as I like it).
>>
>> Can I replace a mobo without the need to reinstall windows, reformat
>> the drive, etc?
>>
>> My original thought was to find another mobo of the exact same model,
>> but they seem to be unavailable. Not even sure I can find another soyo
>> board with the same chipset, etc.
>>
>> I really do not want to have to 'start over' with this machine. Other
>> than the mobo suffering from neglect and exposure - my fault - the rest
>> of the rig is exactly perfect!
>>
>> Any other suggestions on how to do this are greatly appreciated.

--
Derek
June 14, 2005 10:02:19 AM

> If you change the motherboard in a computer that is running XP, then you
> MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise
> you will have nasty Registry errors and ongoing data corruption.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Michael 23" <zionblue@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a soyo k7vem-pro mobo that is apparently on its way out. I want
>> to replace it without losing all the custom settings and installed
>> apps, etc on this computer. ( I use this machine for music recording
>> and have tons of tweaks to win xp, services turned off, everything
>> exactly as I like it).
>>
>> Can I replace a mobo without the need to reinstall windows, reformat
>> the drive, etc?
>>
>> My original thought was to find another mobo of the exact same model,
>> but they seem to be unavailable. Not even sure I can find another soyo
>> board with the same chipset, etc.
>>
>> I really do not want to have to 'start over' with this machine. Other
>> than the mobo suffering from neglect and exposure - my fault - the rest
>> of the rig is exactly perfect!
>>
>> Any other suggestions on how to do this are greatly appreciated.

This is conflicting data, some will have 0 problems, some will get away with
a repair and like me others will have to do a total reinstall.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2005 11:26:12 AM

I just found and ordered an EXACT replica of my existing mobo... hoping
to get away with a simple exchange, like nothing ever happened...
fingers crossed, waiting for delivery...
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2005 9:37:14 PM

Not always. You can do a repair install, but I have found that a few
precautions need to be taken first. Of course data should be backed up in
case it doesn't work. Next, use msconfig to disable all startup items and
non-microsoft services. Use add/remove programs to uninstall any motherboard
specific drivers and/or software (if there is any). Run a windows repair
install and hope it goes well. I have done it this way twice with no
problems. Once going from an Intel 850 based board to an 865 board. The
second time I went from a VIA K8T800 based board to an Nforce4 board.

> If you change the motherboard in a computer that is running XP, then you
> MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise
> you will have nasty Registry errors and ongoing data corruption.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Michael 23" <zionblue@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a soyo k7vem-pro mobo that is apparently on its way out. I want
>> to replace it without losing all the custom settings and installed
>> apps, etc on this computer. ( I use this machine for music recording
>> and have tons of tweaks to win xp, services turned off, everything
>> exactly as I like it).
>>
>> Can I replace a mobo without the need to reinstall windows, reformat
>> the drive, etc?
>>
>> My original thought was to find another mobo of the exact same model,
>> but they seem to be unavailable. Not even sure I can find another soyo
>> board with the same chipset, etc.
>>
>> I really do not want to have to 'start over' with this machine. Other
>> than the mobo suffering from neglect and exposure - my fault - the rest
>> of the rig is exactly perfect!
>>
>> Any other suggestions on how to do this are greatly appreciated.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2005 10:47:08 PM

I will back up everything.
The msconfig sounds like a good tip, too.
There might be a few mobo specific drivers - I am sure - but this is my
point, if using the exact same make and model of mobo, shouldn't I be
able to just put it all back together and turn it on?

btw, just developed a fun new problem - the thing won't even load
windows, just hangs at the "soyo" mobo screen, right after it displays
the processor type and speed... then nothing.

really hoping it is in fact the mobo!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 16, 2005 12:13:14 AM

Michael 23 wrote:
> I have a soyo k7vem-pro mobo that is apparently on its way out. I want
> to replace it without losing all the custom settings and installed
> apps, etc on this computer. ( I use this machine for music recording
> and have tons of tweaks to win xp, services turned off, everything
> exactly as I like it).
>
> Can I replace a mobo without the need to reinstall windows, reformat
> the drive, etc?
>
> My original thought was to find another mobo of the exact same model,
> but they seem to be unavailable. Not even sure I can find another soyo
> board with the same chipset, etc.
>
> I really do not want to have to 'start over' with this machine. Other
> than the mobo suffering from neglect and exposure - my fault - the rest
> of the rig is exactly perfect!
>
> Any other suggestions on how to do this are greatly appreciated.

You've heard both answers......when I have replace m/b's, I've simply
bit the bullet and done full up Windows reinstall with slicked hard
drive(s)...after backing everyhting up.

Replacing a m/b is non-trivial...it seems to reduce my overall pain by
going with clean drives and a fresh Windows install. There are a number
of migration tools that can help preserve at least some of tweaks/prefs
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 16, 2005 2:07:07 AM

Thanks... I think I will just go for it, and if I have any troubles at
all, try the longer, harder method.
I understand the risks and I am willing to accept the consequences...
thanks
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 16, 2005 9:34:41 PM

If the board is exactly the same you shouldn't have any issues, but should
take precautions anyway. Even if it is a different model of board, if the
chipset is the same (or similar) and the onboard components are the same it
will be easier. Still, I went from a VIA chipset to an Nvidia chipset with
no issues at all.

>I will back up everything.
> The msconfig sounds like a good tip, too.
> There might be a few mobo specific drivers - I am sure - but this is my
> point, if using the exact same make and model of mobo, shouldn't I be
> able to just put it all back together and turn it on?
>
> btw, just developed a fun new problem - the thing won't even load
> windows, just hangs at the "soyo" mobo screen, right after it displays
> the processor type and speed... then nothing.
>
> really hoping it is in fact the mobo!

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 16, 2005 9:36:35 PM

The problems you are having sound like you may have failed or failing
capacitors on the board. Are any of them bulging or leaking? It is a very
common problem across a wide range of brands and board models.

"Michael 23" <zionblue@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I will back up everything.
> The msconfig sounds like a good tip, too.
> There might be a few mobo specific drivers - I am sure - but this is my
> point, if using the exact same make and model of mobo, shouldn't I be
> able to just put it all back together and turn it on?
>
> btw, just developed a fun new problem - the thing won't even load
> windows, just hangs at the "soyo" mobo screen, right after it displays
> the processor type and speed... then nothing.
>
> really hoping it is in fact the mobo!

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2005 1:28:01 PM

Thanks, Tweek, for your encouragement... anxiously waiting for the new
board, should be any day!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2005 3:39:20 PM

Not going so well.

I ordered the replacement board from arsenal pc, changed everything
over from the old mobo to the new, all jumpers the same, same cpu &
ram... and now I have nothing.

The power works - it comes on instantly with a press of the switch (an
improvement already), but that is all I get. No video, just a flash of
power to the monitor when the psu flips on, and then all is dark, The
cpu fan is spinning, the 'hd activity' led comes on for a bit, as if
something is happening, but then I have nothing at all, just a dark,
idling pc.

No bios screen, no errors - just nothing.

ANy suggestions what to do from here?
I called tech support at arsenal - the only realy suggestion was that I
pay an additional $7.50 to ship the mobo back to them for
replacement... which I hate to do before trying everything on this end.

I already tried removing the RAM one stick at a time, and I have
flashed the CMOS as per the troubleshooting guide.

Is there anything (besides a defective mobo) that would cause this
situation?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2005 3:40:11 PM

[...]

June 22, 2005 3:41:37 PM

[...]

June 22, 2005 7:26:03 PM

> Not going so well.
>
> I ordered the replacement board from arsenal pc, changed everything
> over from the old mobo to the new, all jumpers the same, same cpu &
> ram... and now I have nothing.
>
> The power works - it comes on instantly with a press of the switch (an
> improvement already), but that is all I get. No video, just a flash of
> power to the monitor when the psu flips on, and then all is dark, The
> cpu fan is spinning, the 'hd activity' led comes on for a bit, as if
> something is happening, but then I have nothing at all, just a dark,
> idling pc.
>
> No bios screen, no errors - just nothing.
>
> ANy suggestions what to do from here?
> I called tech support at arsenal - the only realy suggestion was that I
> pay an additional $7.50 to ship the mobo back to them for
> replacement... which I hate to do before trying everything on this end.
>
> I already tried removing the RAM one stick at a time, and I have
> flashed the CMOS as per the troubleshooting guide.
>
> Is there anything (besides a defective mobo) that would cause this
> situation?

I didn't see your original post, but I also would suspect the PSU first,
especially if it is a cheap unit, like the type that come in many cases as
standard equipment. The chance of getting two bad mobos in a row is rather
slim. Try swapping the PSU with a known good unit, and if you find it to be
faulty buy a quality PSU like an Antec TruePower or TrueBlue (400w or more).
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2005 8:37:29 PM

Kony - thanks so much for the detailed response!

I will check the 'versioning' possibilities and also take a look at the
cmos battery being a possibility... but would a dead cmos batt keep the
mobo from posting at all?

I would not have a clue how to replace the BIOS chip... and may end up
just RMA'ing the board. Maybe it is the processor causing the mobos to
fail... but how? I am totally lost, and considering just starting over
with an inexpensive mobo/cpu combo. BUt that is still a last resort.

I have tried just the barebones bench test, still nothing at all... it
has onboard video, and I get no signal from that at all, or from a
video card installed in the mobo... same results, black screen.

This stinks. Helps a lot to know there are others out there who care
enough to offer support!! Your efforts on my behalf are greatly
appreciated!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2005 11:41:47 PM

On 22 Jun 2005 11:39:20 -0700, "Michael 23"
<zionblue@gmail.com> wrote:

>Not going so well.
>
>I ordered the replacement board from arsenal pc, changed everything
>over from the old mobo to the new, all jumpers the same, same cpu &
>ram... and now I have nothing.

Is this board the same revision #? Not sure where the
revison number might be on that particular board, it might
be right new to the model #.

Is it possible you had mis-diagnosted the problem? On your
initial post you'd mentioned the board was on the way out,
but what led you to this conclusion?

To put it another way, I'm wondering if there might be some
other problem or perhaps the PSU was a contributory cause of
the board failing, if not the sole problem (initally).

When a (new) board sits unused for a long time, it's battery
will drain even faster than a board that had been in use due
to ATX powering the RTC via 5VSB. Check your battery
voltage, or perhaps swap the other battery into that board.

There were a few boards (I don't recall what brand or
models at the moment) that had a plastic insulator installed
between the battery and the battery holder contact, to
prevent the battery from draining as fast. At least remove
the battery long enough to be sure yours doesn't have such
an insulator that needs removed.

>The power works - it comes on instantly with a press of the switch (an
>improvement already), but that is all I get. No video, just a flash of
>power to the monitor when the psu flips on, and then all is dark, The
>cpu fan is spinning, the 'hd activity' led comes on for a bit, as if
>something is happening, but then I have nothing at all, just a dark,
>idling pc.

Carefully re-examine the cables and cards, etc. If
necessary (as a last resort) after you remove the board from
the case then retry it on a desk with only minimal parts-
CPU, heatsin/fan, 1 memory module and video card. You might
also strip it down to this minimal config prior to removing
it from the case, but certainly try it out of the case like
that too. This includes disconnecting all drives, keyboard,
mouse, and the case wiring. The board can be tried by using
(anything electrically conductive like a screwdriver) to
short the two power-on pins together.

If you have a multimeter, take power supply voltage
readings.

>No bios screen, no errors - just nothing.
>
>ANy suggestions what to do from here?
>I called tech support at arsenal - the only realy suggestion was that I
>pay an additional $7.50 to ship the mobo back to them for
>replacement... which I hate to do before trying everything on this end.
>
>I already tried removing the RAM one stick at a time, and I have
>flashed the CMOS as per the troubleshooting guide.

To confirm- you did unplug the AC cord from the power supply
when you did this? I would retry it by removing the battery
for 10 minutes, still leaving the AC cord unplugged.

>Is there anything (besides a defective mobo) that would cause this
>situation?

Sure, even a static discharge that damaged the CPU during
handling could cause it, though if you don't feel that's
likely it probably didn't... as with most things there are
numerous potential problems but most are unlikely assuming
the assembly and handling was correct.

What CPU are you using on that board? It "might" be
possible that an earlier revision of the board has problems
running newer CPUs, like Athlon XP or Duron (past a certain
frequency, I forget exactly what it was, when they went from
the ceramic carrier to the organic one, around 1GHz or maybe
it was 1.3GHz). Also if there is a sticker on the bios chip
denoting the bios version, is this new boards' bios as
recent as your old one?

One thing you could try is swapping the bios chips from old
board to new. BIOS chips (EEPROMS) are very ESD sensitive
though, you would need be sure you are grounded properly and
that the system is too, before attempting this if you would,
as well as being sure it's put in the socket with correct
orientation as it is not keyed to only fit one way.

Also, if the board has jumpers to select 5V or 5VSB power
for the USB and/or PS2 (keyboard or mouse), confirm that the
jumpers are set to 5V rather than 5VSB.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 23, 2005 6:33:11 PM

On 22 Jun 2005 16:37:29 -0700, "Michael 23"
<zionblue@gmail.com> wrote:

>Kony - thanks so much for the detailed response!
>
>I will check the 'versioning' possibilities and also take a look at the
>cmos battery being a possibility... but would a dead cmos batt keep the
>mobo from posting at all?

Depends on the board, with some it definitely will prevent
it from POSTing.

>I would not have a clue how to replace the BIOS chip... and may end up
>just RMA'ing the board.

The bios chip on that is (if the pics I saw on the 'net were
correct) a large, thick DIP (dual inline pin package) near
the bottom right-hand side of the board. For example,
http://www.triangledigital.com/images/pictures/detailed...

You'd simply wedge something thin under each end (since I
doubt you have a chip extractor) and pry it up a litte at a
time, not too much on one end before moving to the other so
the chip stays fairly parallel to the plane of the
motherboard (so the pins don't bend).

You shouldn't have to do this though, it was just a
thought... on a new board you may be better off just
returning it if nothing else helps.

>Maybe it is the processor causing the mobos to
>fail... but how? I am totally lost, and considering just starting over
>with an inexpensive mobo/cpu combo. BUt that is still a last resort.

It is extremely unlikely that the CPU would do this,
particularly if it "somewhat" worked (with the old board,
for awhile).

>I have tried just the barebones bench test, still nothing at all... it
>has onboard video, and I get no signal from that at all, or from a
>video card installed in the mobo... same results, black screen.
>
>This stinks. Helps a lot to know there are others out there who care
>enough to offer support!! Your efforts on my behalf are greatly
>appreciated!

Might just be a bad board, hard to say. Try changing the
battery, clearing the CMOS again with AC disconnected, and
taking voltage readings of PSU if possible. After that, I'd
be calling them to get an RMA number.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 24, 2005 1:02:06 AM

Hi again and thanks for all your time spent. I owe you a cold one (of
whatever variety you prefer - coke, heineken, let me know next time you
are in southern utah, ok?)

Anyway, I got my hands on an identical working processor, put it in the
board, and had same problem.Then tried my cpu in a working mobo, just
fine...
( I also tested / swapped the cmos battery, and tried different ram...
no results)
so I have determined that in fact it IS the board, and I will be doing
that RMA and hoping for the best.

Turns out there is a neighbor in my small town with - no joke - over
200 pc's in all states of disrepair in his shop. He must have hundreds
of motherboards stacked and piled all over the place, and he gave me a
comparable speed mobo/cpu combo for testing... and both work, and he
said I can just have 'em.
Geesh - if I had only known..

So now it just comes down to one decision... do I return the board for
refund/credit, and rebuild the machine with a different mobo/cpu combo,

OR do I go for an exchange and hope that the next one actually works,
and thus be able to do as I originally planned, which was to swap the
mobo for the exact same model with no issues. and just keep on
truckin...

What would you do?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 24, 2005 8:31:51 AM

On 23 Jun 2005 21:02:06 -0700, "Michael 23"
<zionblue@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi again and thanks for all your time spent. I owe you a cold one (of
>whatever variety you prefer - coke, heineken, let me know next time you
>are in southern utah, ok?)
>
>Anyway, I got my hands on an identical working processor, put it in the
>board, and had same problem.Then tried my cpu in a working mobo, just
>fine...
>( I also tested / swapped the cmos battery, and tried different ram...
>no results)
>so I have determined that in fact it IS the board, and I will be doing
>that RMA and hoping for the best.
>
>Turns out there is a neighbor in my small town with - no joke - over
>200 pc's in all states of disrepair in his shop. He must have hundreds
>of motherboards stacked and piled all over the place, and he gave me a
>comparable speed mobo/cpu combo for testing... and both work, and he
>said I can just have 'em.
>Geesh - if I had only known..
>
>So now it just comes down to one decision... do I return the board for
>refund/credit, and rebuild the machine with a different mobo/cpu combo,
>
>OR do I go for an exchange and hope that the next one actually works,
>and thus be able to do as I originally planned, which was to swap the
>mobo for the exact same model with no issues. and just keep on
>truckin...
>
>What would you do?

I've not be fond of Soyo since the Pentium 1 days (wouldn't
really call it "fond" then but they seemed ok). Add to
this, that your board died and the replacement didn't work
either, and I would rather avoid another of same board.

Not knowing what make/model this replacement board is, nor
what shape it's in, I can't know if it's a good alternative
or if you might be better off (asking the vendor if you
might) getting a credit towards a different motherboard
instead of same thing.

However, you did write about lots of custom tweaks and
settings- and I don't know how long it'd take you to
recreate that environment again. What I'd probably do is go
for a different board, whatever seems the best bet, and make
a backup of the current OS parititon. Then I'd do a repair
install of the OS and reapply the OS patches and DirectX,
etc, proceeding from there to determine what can be imported
from the backup to expedite anything that needs (re)tweaked.

Then again, if you're going to go through the whole 9 years,
now might be a good time to contemplate whether you might
want an upgrade, a newer CPU/etc instead of just a board.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 24, 2005 11:34:40 AM

>>and make a backup of the current OS parititon.

Can you explain how to make this backup?
My thinking would be to put the drive in another pc as a secondary...
no problem... and then just copy the entire "c" partition (just the os
and a few applications on a few gigs, all data on separate partition).
I suppose I could put all of those copied files in a directory on the
"d" partition, and just copy/paste from there?

I would have no problem doing this, if I was pretty sure I could just
reverse the process if need be, and be right back where I started...
would that work?

I also have a brand new 80gig drive still in the box (the existing
drive is 80 gig, though not same brand) and could just clone the whole
drive first...hmmm... ?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 24, 2005 3:25:06 PM

well sh!$... I just called the company and they do not have another one
just like it.
SO.... I am starting over with the board from my friend, which means I
will
1) back up the entire drive - ghost or something
2) replace the motherboard/cpu, with everything else just as it was
3) boot up and see what happens.
4) redo what needs to be redone, etc, ad nauseum...

I am trying to avoid a full windows reinstall, and would like to keep
my main application, SONAR audio recording, just as it is.

If I am just swapping mainboards, you think I can get away with just a
'repair' install?

Thanks for all of your help. Too bad that motherboard was a dud, this
would all have been so simple!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 24, 2005 7:40:13 PM

On 24 Jun 2005 07:34:40 -0700, "Michael 23"
<zionblue@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>and make a backup of the current OS parititon.
>
>Can you explain how to make this backup?

I was thinking along the lines of Ghost, DriveImage, or the
HDD manufacturer's drive-cloning utility (which almost any
offer from their website if you didn't get it in a
retail-packaged drive. Otherwise, it may depend on your
needs. I don't know how much tweaking you've done but at
a certain point I'd have to think it best to just redo that
from scratch.

>My thinking would be to put the drive in another pc as a secondary...
>no problem... and then just copy the entire "c" partition (just the os
>and a few applications on a few gigs, all data on separate partition).
>I suppose I could put all of those copied files in a directory on the
>"d" partition, and just copy/paste from there?

Sure, that's one option.

>I would have no problem doing this, if I was pretty sure I could just
>reverse the process if need be, and be right back where I started...
>would that work?

I've not tried it quite like that, on the surface it seems
like it might work but I can't guarantee it.

Another thing you might consider doing is to open up
regedit and export some registry keys, that they might be
merged into the new OS later in certain situations. For
example,

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
HKEY_USERS

What I mean is that if you were to end up doing a clean
install, having this data to merge into the registry might
speed up the retweaking process. By doing a repair install
the majority of the above should be retained. However,
after mergining these, if you then installed applications,
you might find they overwrote the merged settings- so you'd
have to re-merge them... I'm already getting into too much
detail, not knowing exactly what you have tweaked nor being
able to foresee what will need retweaked... depending on how
this plays out.

>I also have a brand new 80gig drive still in the box (the existing
>drive is 80 gig, though not same brand) and could just clone the whole
>drive first...hmmm... ?

yes that might be a good idea
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 24, 2005 10:56:55 PM

On 24 Jun 2005 11:25:06 -0700, "Michael 23"
<zionblue@gmail.com> wrote:

>well sh!$... I just called the company and they do not have another one
>just like it.
>SO.... I am starting over with the board from my friend, which means I
>will
>1) back up the entire drive - ghost or something
>2) replace the motherboard/cpu, with everything else just as it was
>3) boot up and see what happens.
>4) redo what needs to be redone, etc, ad nauseum...
>
>I am trying to avoid a full windows reinstall, and would like to keep
>my main application, SONAR audio recording, just as it is.
>
>If I am just swapping mainboards, you think I can get away with just a
>'repair' install?

It's likely, try it and see (after making the OS partition
backup).
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 1:17:43 AM

NEW FUN PROBLEM!
(also going to post in new thread...)

Well, I ended up installing the new mobo, and formatting the C
partition. The repair install didnt seem to take - might have been me,
whatever.

Anyway, the machine is now up and running with a matsonic mobo #
ms8308ep(266)

Installed winxphome, did the activation thing, all is well except... I
can boot once, no problem. Try to restart, and I cant get past the
windows loading screen.

What happens is this... windows xp starts to load, the little bar
scrolls across 2 or 3 times, and then the video goes out. PC seems to
be loading, can't tell for sure cause ctrl+alt+del does nothing, so I
dont really know.

Anyway, here is the clue: if I reset the bios (with the jumper by the
cmos) I can boot once just fine - I get the bios warning "CMOS memory
size wrong" and a choice for F1/setup or F2/load default and continue.

F2 does the trick, windows loads perfectly and I am in. But if I
restart, I go back to no video once windows starts to load.

I can boot up in safe mode no problem at any time. But I can only get
back to windows if I reset the CMOS (jumper).

This makes me think it is something in the bios... but what? What could
the setting be that would cause this???
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 12:39:22 PM

>>Try flashing newest bios, if system is stable outside of
windows.

I am not sure how to do this. I dl'd a newer bios version, but have no
clue what to do with it.

btw, this machine has no floppy, but I can make it boot from cd.

>>Could be a video driver problem, next boot to safe mode try
setting it to standard VGA. Disable or reduce any
video-relatd settings in bios (AGP settings if applicable).

I looked at the bios, and all I see is a setting for "pci" or "onboard
agp"... I am using onboard, but it was set to pci... however, no
change. :-(
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 12:52:31 PM

I did... I tried both defaults actually... no luck.

but I think I got it now!

HAH!
Went into safe mode... uninstalled 'display adapter' in device manager,
and rebooted... 3 times now with no problems!

maybe I screwed something up with the matsonic vid driver... geesh.

anyway, thank you very much for your help & suggestions... fingers
crossed, but so far all seems well.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 12:52:58 PM

HAH!
Went into safe mode... uninstalled 'display adapter' in device manager,
and rebooted... 3 times now with no problems!

maybe I screwed something up with the matsonic vid driver... geesh.

anyway, thank you very much for your help & suggestions... fingers
crossed, but so far all seems well.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 3:19:44 PM

Thanks for the instructions!
I think I will not fix what is not broken at this point, and move ahead
with reinstalling all my apps, settings, etc, etc...

Your input and support has been invaluable, thanks very much.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 3:42:19 PM

On 26 Jun 2005 21:17:43 -0700, "Michael 23"
<zionblue@gmail.com> wrote:

>NEW FUN PROBLEM!
>(also going to post in new thread...)
>
>Well, I ended up installing the new mobo, and formatting the C
>partition. The repair install didnt seem to take - might have been me,
>whatever.
>
>Anyway, the machine is now up and running with a matsonic mobo #
>ms8308ep(266)
>
>Installed winxphome, did the activation thing, all is well except... I
>can boot once, no problem. Try to restart, and I cant get past the
>windows loading screen.
>
>What happens is this... windows xp starts to load, the little bar
>scrolls across 2 or 3 times, and then the video goes out. PC seems to
>be loading, can't tell for sure cause ctrl+alt+del does nothing, so I
>dont really know.

Could be a video driver problem, next boot to safe mode try
setting it to standard VGA. Disable or reduce any
video-relatd settings in bios (AGP settings if applicable).

>I can boot up in safe mode no problem at any time. But I can only get
>back to windows if I reset the CMOS (jumper).
>
>This makes me think it is something in the bios... but what? What could
>the setting be that would cause this???

Try flashing newest bios, if system is stable outside of
windows.
June 27, 2005 7:09:49 PM

On 26 Jun 2005 21:17:43 -0700, "Michael 23" <zionblue@gmail.com> had a
flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

>NEW FUN PROBLEM!
>(also going to post in new thread...)
>
>Well, I ended up installing the new mobo, and formatting the C
>partition. The repair install didnt seem to take - might have been me,
>whatever.
>
>Anyway, the machine is now up and running with a matsonic mobo #
>ms8308ep(266)
>
>Installed winxphome, did the activation thing, all is well except... I
>can boot once, no problem. Try to restart, and I cant get past the
>windows loading screen.
>
>What happens is this... windows xp starts to load, the little bar
>scrolls across 2 or 3 times, and then the video goes out. PC seems to
>be loading, can't tell for sure cause ctrl+alt+del does nothing, so I
>dont really know.
>
>Anyway, here is the clue: if I reset the bios (with the jumper by the
>cmos) I can boot once just fine - I get the bios warning "CMOS memory
>size wrong" and a choice for F1/setup or F2/load default and continue.
>
>F2 does the trick, windows loads perfectly and I am in. But if I
>restart, I go back to no video once windows starts to load.
>
>I can boot up in safe mode no problem at any time. But I can only get
>back to windows if I reset the CMOS (jumper).
>
>This makes me think it is something in the bios... but what? What could
>the setting be that would cause this???

Try using F1 next time and load the one of the defaults from the main
bios screen, then save the setting.

Stephen

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 10:14:45 PM

On 27 Jun 2005 08:39:22 -0700, "Michael 23"
<zionblue@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Try flashing newest bios, if system is stable outside of
>windows.
>
>I am not sure how to do this. I dl'd a newer bios version, but have no
>clue what to do with it.
>
>btw, this machine has no floppy, but I can make it boot from cd.
>
>>>Could be a video driver problem, next boot to safe mode try
>setting it to standard VGA. Disable or reduce any
>video-relatd settings in bios (AGP settings if applicable).
>
>I looked at the bios, and all I see is a setting for "pci" or "onboard
>agp"... I am using onboard, but it was set to pci... however, no
>change. :-(

It seems you have it solved now, but it doesn't matter if
the bios is set to PCI or onboard so long as you don't also
have a 2nd display adapter installed- that settings only
determines which is the primary display when there are two.

To flash the bios you'd boot to DOS, either by the OS menu
(if applicable) or make a DOS boot CDR (or thumbdrive,
whatever you'd use to get to DOS). Then have the bios file
and the flasher file (also available from motherboard
manufacturer) on a *drive* you can access from DOS.

In other words if your HDD is NTFS, you'd have to put the
files on the CDR or wherever, but if your HDD has a FAT32
parititon, you could put them there... then execture the
flasher at the bios prompt, and depending on the flasher,
include the name of the bios after it. Google will turn up
details on it BUT it seems you don't need to flash the bios
and may be better off waiting until there is a need to do
so.
!