Replacing a motherboard (?)

I have a soyo k7vem-pro mobo that is apparently on its way out. I want
to replace it without losing all the custom settings and installed
apps, etc on this computer. ( I use this machine for music recording
and have tons of tweaks to win xp, services turned off, everything
exactly as I like it).

Can I replace a mobo without the need to reinstall windows, reformat
the drive, etc?

My original thought was to find another mobo of the exact same model,
but they seem to be unavailable. Not even sure I can find another soyo
board with the same chipset, etc.

I really do not want to have to 'start over' with this machine. Other
than the mobo suffering from neglect and exposure - my fault - the rest
of the rig is exactly perfect!

Any other suggestions on how to do this are greatly appreciated.

>>You're not going to get away scot free on this one.

Darn! Thanks kindly for the info, John.
I will be sure to b/u everything first, just in case.

I used to be able to b/u over my local network, but part of the mobo
illness is the loss of my onboard lan! Time to start burning cds, I
suppose.

thanks again

Thanks Kony!

That link looks perfect, and arsenal has good reviews... I think I will
just order another and swap. This would definitely be simpler and
faster than rebuilding the pc altogether (and I will take care of this
one!)

Michael 23 wrote:
> I have a soyo k7vem-pro mobo that is apparently on its way out. I want
> to replace it without losing all the custom settings and installed
> apps, etc on this computer. ( I use this machine for music recording
> and have tons of tweaks to win xp, services turned off, everything
> exactly as I like it).
>
> Can I replace a mobo without the need to reinstall windows, reformat
> the drive, etc?
>
> My original thought was to find another mobo of the exact same model,
> but they seem to be unavailable. Not even sure I can find another soyo
> board with the same chipset, etc.
>
> I really do not want to have to 'start over' with this machine. Other
> than the mobo suffering from neglect and exposure - my fault - the
> rest of the rig is exactly perfect!
>
> Any other suggestions on how to do this are greatly appreciated.

You're not going to get away scot free on this one.

You will have to install new mobo/chipset drivers. The old drive should
work, but windows will definitely want to be reactivated, and you will need
to do a repair install (at least).

I would recommend that you use the files and settings transfer wizard to
save your current settings and make sure you have a good backup of anything
important before you proceed. Unfortunately, this does not save everything
(settings within programs, for instance).

Good luck,

John.

If you change the motherboard in a computer that is running XP, then you
MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you
will have nasty Registry errors and ongoing data corruption.

--
DaveW

"Michael 23" <zionblue@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a soyo k7vem-pro mobo that is apparently on its way out. I want
> to replace it without losing all the custom settings and installed
> apps, etc on this computer. ( I use this machine for music recording
> and have tons of tweaks to win xp, services turned off, everything
> exactly as I like it).
>
> Can I replace a mobo without the need to reinstall windows, reformat
> the drive, etc?
>
> My original thought was to find another mobo of the exact same model,
> but they seem to be unavailable. Not even sure I can find another soyo
> board with the same chipset, etc.
>
> I really do not want to have to 'start over' with this machine. Other
> than the mobo suffering from neglect and exposure - my fault - the rest
> of the rig is exactly perfect!
>
> Any other suggestions on how to do this are greatly appreciated.

On 13 Jun 2005 07:57:31 -0700, "Michael 23"
<zionblue@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a soyo k7vem-pro mobo that is apparently on its way out. I want
>to replace it without losing all the custom settings and installed
>apps, etc on this computer. ( I use this machine for music recording
>and have tons of tweaks to win xp, services turned off, everything
>exactly as I like it).
>
>Can I replace a mobo without the need to reinstall windows,

It's possible. Primarily you'd need the hardware
enumeration strings and drivers in place. In particular the
IDE driver.

The other alternative is a repair install. For "most"
people this is the best route.

>reformat
>the drive, etc?

That should not be necessary.

>My original thought was to find another mobo of the exact same model,
>but they seem to be unavailable. Not even sure I can find another soyo
>board with the same chipset, etc.

http://www.arsenalpc.com/details.asp?ItemID=3152&Res=4

Mention Pricewatch to get it a little cheaper,
http://castle.pricewatch.com/s/search.asp?s=soyo+k7vem-pro

>I really do not want to have to 'start over' with this machine. Other
>than the mobo suffering from neglect and exposure - my fault - the rest
>of the rig is exactly perfect!
>
>Any other suggestions on how to do this are greatly appreciated.

Because that board uses PC133 memory, upgrading to a more
modern board with integral video (or even without) would
require purchasing DDR memory too. That's your call to
make, I presume that ultimate performance is not the goal
since you had integrated video to begin with.

Odds are very good that you could plug-n-play any other Via
KLE133 chipset based board, if not the same exact model as
you already had. However, buying same board is certainly
the easiest route.

> If you change the motherboard in a computer that is running XP, then you
> MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise
> you will have nasty Registry errors and ongoing data corruption.

Really? I replaced my motherboard 10 months ago without reformatting, and
have had no such problems.

> "Michael 23" <zionblue@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a soyo k7vem-pro mobo that is apparently on its way out. I want
>> to replace it without losing all the custom settings and installed
>> apps, etc on this computer. ( I use this machine for music recording
>> and have tons of tweaks to win xp, services turned off, everything
>> exactly as I like it).
>>
>> Can I replace a mobo without the need to reinstall windows, reformat
>> the drive, etc?
>>
>> My original thought was to find another mobo of the exact same model,
>> but they seem to be unavailable. Not even sure I can find another soyo
>> board with the same chipset, etc.
>>
>> I really do not want to have to 'start over' with this machine. Other
>> than the mobo suffering from neglect and exposure - my fault - the rest
>> of the rig is exactly perfect!
>>
>> Any other suggestions on how to do this are greatly appreciated.

--
Derek

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

> If you change the motherboard in a computer that is running XP, then you
> MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise
> you will have nasty Registry errors and ongoing data corruption.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Michael 23" <zionblue@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a soyo k7vem-pro mobo that is apparently on its way out. I want
>> to replace it without losing all the custom settings and installed
>> apps, etc on this computer. ( I use this machine for music recording
>> and have tons of tweaks to win xp, services turned off, everything
>> exactly as I like it).
>>
>> Can I replace a mobo without the need to reinstall windows, reformat
>> the drive, etc?
>>
>> My original thought was to find another mobo of the exact same model,
>> but they seem to be unavailable. Not even sure I can find another soyo
>> board with the same chipset, etc.
>>
>> I really do not want to have to 'start over' with this machine. Other
>> than the mobo suffering from neglect and exposure - my fault - the rest
>> of the rig is exactly perfect!
>>
>> Any other suggestions on how to do this are greatly appreciated.

This is conflicting data, some will have 0 problems, some will get away with
a repair and like me others will have to do a total reinstall.

I just found and ordered an EXACT replica of my existing mobo... hoping
to get away with a simple exchange, like nothing ever happened...
fingers crossed, waiting for delivery...

Not always. You can do a repair install, but I have found that a few
precautions need to be taken first. Of course data should be backed up in
case it doesn't work. Next, use msconfig to disable all startup items and
non-microsoft services. Use add/remove programs to uninstall any motherboard
specific drivers and/or software (if there is any). Run a windows repair
install and hope it goes well. I have done it this way twice with no
problems. Once going from an Intel 850 based board to an 865 board. The
second time I went from a VIA K8T800 based board to an Nforce4 board.

> If you change the motherboard in a computer that is running XP, then you
> MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise
> you will have nasty Registry errors and ongoing data corruption.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Michael 23" <zionblue@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a soyo k7vem-pro mobo that is apparently on its way out. I want
>> to replace it without losing all the custom settings and installed
>> apps, etc on this computer. ( I use this machine for music recording
>> and have tons of tweaks to win xp, services turned off, everything
>> exactly as I like it).
>>
>> Can I replace a mobo without the need to reinstall windows, reformat
>> the drive, etc?
>>
>> My original thought was to find another mobo of the exact same model,
>> but they seem to be unavailable. Not even sure I can find another soyo
>> board with the same chipset, etc.
>>
>> I really do not want to have to 'start over' with this machine. Other
>> than the mobo suffering from neglect and exposure - my fault - the rest
>> of the rig is exactly perfect!
>>
>> Any other suggestions on how to do this are greatly appreciated.

I will back up everything.
The msconfig sounds like a good tip, too.
There might be a few mobo specific drivers - I am sure - but this is my
point, if using the exact same make and model of mobo, shouldn't I be
able to just put it all back together and turn it on?

btw, just developed a fun new problem - the thing won't even load
windows, just hangs at the "soyo" mobo screen, right after it displays
the processor type and speed... then nothing.

really hoping it is in fact the mobo!

Michael 23 wrote:
> I have a soyo k7vem-pro mobo that is apparently on its way out. I want
> to replace it without losing all the custom settings and installed
> apps, etc on this computer. ( I use this machine for music recording
> and have tons of tweaks to win xp, services turned off, everything
> exactly as I like it).
>
> Can I replace a mobo without the need to reinstall windows, reformat
> the drive, etc?
>
> My original thought was to find another mobo of the exact same model,
> but they seem to be unavailable. Not even sure I can find another soyo
> board with the same chipset, etc.
>
> I really do not want to have to 'start over' with this machine. Other
> than the mobo suffering from neglect and exposure - my fault - the rest
> of the rig is exactly perfect!
>
> Any other suggestions on how to do this are greatly appreciated.

You've heard both answers......when I have replace m/b's, I've simply
bit the bullet and done full up Windows reinstall with slicked hard
drive(s)...after backing everyhting up.

Replacing a m/b is non-trivial...it seems to reduce my overall pain by
going with clean drives and a fresh Windows install. There are a number
of migration tools that can help preserve at least some of tweaks/prefs

Thanks... I think I will just go for it, and if I have any troubles at
all, try the longer, harder method.
I understand the risks and I am willing to accept the consequences...
thanks

If the board is exactly the same you shouldn't have any issues, but should
take precautions anyway. Even if it is a different model of board, if the
chipset is the same (or similar) and the onboard components are the same it
will be easier. Still, I went from a VIA chipset to an Nvidia chipset with
no issues at all.

>I will back up everything.
> The msconfig sounds like a good tip, too.
> There might be a few mobo specific drivers - I am sure - but this is my
> point, if using the exact same make and model of mobo, shouldn't I be
> able to just put it all back together and turn it on?
>
> btw, just developed a fun new problem - the thing won't even load
> windows, just hangs at the "soyo" mobo screen, right after it displays
> the processor type and speed... then nothing.
>
> really hoping it is in fact the mobo!

The problems you are having sound like you may have failed or failing
capacitors on the board. Are any of them bulging or leaking? It is a very
common problem across a wide range of brands and board models.

"Michael 23" <zionblue@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I will back up everything.
> The msconfig sounds like a good tip, too.
> There might be a few mobo specific drivers - I am sure - but this is my
> point, if using the exact same make and model of mobo, shouldn't I be
> able to just put it all back together and turn it on?
>
> btw, just developed a fun new problem - the thing won't even load
> windows, just hangs at the "soyo" mobo screen, right after it displays
> the processor type and speed... then nothing.
>
> really hoping it is in fact the mobo!

Thanks, Tweek, for your encouragement... anxiously waiting for the new
board, should be any day!

Not going so well.

I ordered the replacement board from arsenal pc, changed everything
over from the old mobo to the new, all jumpers the same, same cpu &
ram... and now I have nothing.

The power works - it comes on instantly with a press of the switch (an
improvement already), but that is all I get. No video, just a flash of
power to the monitor when the psu flips on, and then all is dark, The
cpu fan is spinning, the 'hd activity' led comes on for a bit, as if
something is happening, but then I have nothing at all, just a dark,
idling pc.

No bios screen, no errors - just nothing.

ANy suggestions what to do from here?
I called tech support at arsenal - the only realy suggestion was that I
pay an additional $7.50 to ship the mobo back to them for
replacement... which I hate to do before trying everything on this end.

I already tried removing the RAM one stick at a time, and I have
flashed the CMOS as per the troubleshooting guide.

Is there anything (besides a defective mobo) that would cause this
situation?

> Not going so well.
>
> I ordered the replacement board from arsenal pc, changed everything
> over from the old mobo to the new, all jumpers the same, same cpu &
> ram... and now I have nothing.
>
> The power works - it comes on instantly with a press of the switch (an
> improvement already), but that is all I get. No video, just a flash of
> power to the monitor when the psu flips on, and then all is dark, The
> cpu fan is spinning, the 'hd activity' led comes on for a bit, as if
> something is happening, but then I have nothing at all, just a dark,
> idling pc.
>
> No bios screen, no errors - just nothing.
>
> ANy suggestions what to do from here?
> I called tech support at arsenal - the only realy suggestion was that I
> pay an additional $7.50 to ship the mobo back to them for
> replacement... which I hate to do before trying everything on this end.
>
> I already tried removing the RAM one stick at a time, and I have
> flashed the CMOS as per the troubleshooting guide.
>
> Is there anything (besides a defective mobo) that would cause this
> situation?

I didn't see your original post, but I also would suspect the PSU first,
especially if it is a cheap unit, like the type that come in many cases as
standard equipment. The chance of getting two bad mobos in a row is rather
slim. Try swapping the PSU with a known good unit, and if you find it to be
faulty buy a quality PSU like an Antec TruePower or TrueBlue (400w or more).

Kony - thanks so much for the detailed response!

I will check the 'versioning' possibilities and also take a look at the
cmos battery being a possibility... but would a dead cmos batt keep the
mobo from posting at all?

I would not have a clue how to replace the BIOS chip... and may end up
just RMA'ing the board. Maybe it is the processor causing the mobos to
fail... but how? I am totally lost, and considering just starting over
with an inexpensive mobo/cpu combo. BUt that is still a last resort.

I have tried just the barebones bench test, still nothing at all... it
has onboard video, and I get no signal from that at all, or from a
video card installed in the mobo... same results, black screen.

This stinks. Helps a lot to know there are others out there who care
enough to offer support!! Your efforts on my behalf are greatly
appreciated!

On 22 Jun 2005 11:39:20 -0700, "Michael 23"
<zionblue@gmail.com> wrote:

>Not going so well.
>
>I ordered the replacement board from arsenal pc, changed everything
>over from the old mobo to the new, all jumpers the same, same cpu &
>ram... and now I have nothing.

Is this board the same revision #? Not sure where the
revison number might be on that particular board, it might
be right new to the model #.

Is it possible you had mis-diagnosted the problem? On your
initial post you'd mentioned the board was on the way out,
but what led you to this conclusion?

To put it another way, I'm wondering if there might be some
other problem or perhaps the PSU was a contributory cause of
the board failing, if not the sole problem (initally).

When a (new) board sits unused for a long time, it's battery
will drain even faster than a board that had been in use due
to ATX powering the RTC via 5VSB. Check your battery
voltage, or perhaps swap the other battery into that board.

There were a few boards (I don't recall what brand or
models at the moment) that had a plastic insulator installed
between the battery and the battery holder contact, to
prevent the battery from draining as fast. At least remove
the battery long enough to be sure yours doesn't have such
an insulator that needs removed.

>The power works - it comes on instantly with a press of the switch (an
>improvement already), but that is all I get. No video, just a flash of
>power to the monitor when the psu flips on, and then all is dark, The
>cpu fan is spinning, the 'hd activity' led comes on for a bit, as if
>something is happening, but then I have nothing at all, just a dark,
>idling pc.

Carefully re-examine the cables and cards, etc. If
necessary (as a last resort) after you remove the board from
the case then retry it on a desk with only minimal parts-
CPU, heatsin/fan, 1 memory module and video card. You might
also strip it down to this minimal config prior to removing
it from the case, but certainly try it out of the case like
that too. This includes disconnecting all drives, keyboard,
mouse, and the case wiring. The board can be tried by using
(anything electrically conductive like a screwdriver) to
short the two power-on pins together.

If you have a multimeter, take power supply voltage
readings.

>No bios screen, no errors - just nothing.
>
>ANy suggestions what to do from here?
>I called tech support at arsenal - the only realy suggestion was that I
>pay an additional $7.50 to ship the mobo back to them for
>replacement... which I hate to do before trying everything on this end.
>
>I already tried removing the RAM one stick at a time, and I have
>flashed the CMOS as per the troubleshooting guide.

To confirm- you did unplug the AC cord from the power supply
when you did this? I would retry it by removing the battery
for 10 minutes, still leaving the AC cord unplugged.

>Is there anything (besides a defective mobo) that would cause this
>situation?

Sure, even a static discharge that damaged the CPU during
handling could cause it, though if you don't feel that's
likely it probably didn't... as with most things there are
numerous potential problems but most are unlikely assuming
the assembly and handling was correct.

What CPU are you using on that board? It "might" be
possible that an earlier revision of the board has problems
running newer CPUs, like Athlon XP or Duron (past a certain
frequency, I forget exactly what it was, when they went from
the ceramic carrier to the organic one, around 1GHz or maybe
it was 1.3GHz). Also if there is a sticker on the bios chip
denoting the bios version, is this new boards' bios as
recent as your old one?

One thing you could try is swapping the bios chips from old
board to new. BIOS chips (EEPROMS) are very ESD sensitive
though, you would need be sure you are grounded properly and
that the system is too, before attempting this if you would,
as well as being sure it's put in the socket with correct
orientation as it is not keyed to only fit one way.

Also, if the board has jumpers to select 5V or 5VSB power
for the USB and/or PS2 (keyboard or mouse), confirm that the
jumpers are set to 5V rather than 5VSB.

On 22 Jun 2005 16:37:29 -0700, "Michael 23"
<zionblue@gmail.com> wrote:

>Kony - thanks so much for the detailed response!
>
>I will check the 'versioning' possibilities and also take a look at the
>cmos battery being a possibility... but would a dead cmos batt keep the
>mobo from posting at all?

Depends on the board, with some it definitely will prevent
it from POSTing.

>I would not have a clue how to replace the BIOS chip... and may end up
>just RMA'ing the board.

The bios chip on that is (if the pics I saw on the 'net were
correct) a large, thick DIP (dual inline pin package) near
the bottom right-hand side of the board. For example,
http://www.triangledigital.com/images/pictures/detailed/eeprom32k.jpg

You'd simply wedge something thin under each end (since I
doubt you have a chip extractor) and pry it up a litte at a
time, not too much on one end before moving to the other so
the chip stays fairly parallel to the plane of the
motherboard (so the pins don't bend).

You shouldn't have to do this though, it was just a
thought... on a new board you may be better off just
returning it if nothing else helps.

>Maybe it is the processor causing the mobos to
>fail... but how? I am totally lost, and considering just starting over
>with an inexpensive mobo/cpu combo. BUt that is still a last resort.

It is extremely unlikely that the CPU would do this,
particularly if it "somewhat" worked (with the old board,
for awhile).

>I have tried just the barebones bench test, still nothing at all... it
>has onboard video, and I get no signal from that at all, or from a
>video card installed in the mobo... same results, black screen.
>
>This stinks. Helps a lot to know there are others out there who care
>enough to offer support!! Your efforts on my behalf are greatly
>appreciated!

Might just be a bad board, hard to say. Try changing the
battery, clearing the CMOS again with AC disconnected, and
taking voltage readings of PSU if possible. After that, I'd
be calling them to get an RMA number.

Hi again and thanks for all your time spent. I owe you a cold one (of
whatever variety you prefer - coke, heineken, let me know next time you
are in southern utah, ok?)

Anyway, I got my hands on an identical working processor, put it in the
board, and had same problem.Then tried my cpu in a working mobo, just
fine...
( I also tested / swapped the cmos battery, and tried different ram...
no results)
so I have determined that in fact it IS the board, and I will be doing
that RMA and hoping for the best.

Turns out there is a neighbor in my small town with - no joke - over
200 pc's in all states of disrepair in his shop. He must have hundreds
of motherboards stacked and piled all over the place, and he gave me a
comparable speed mobo/cpu combo for testing... and both work, and he
said I can just have 'em.
Geesh - if I had only known..

So now it just comes down to one decision... do I return the board for
refund/credit, and rebuild the machine with a different mobo/cpu combo,

OR do I go for an exchange and hope that the next one actually works,
and thus be able to do as I originally planned, which was to swap the
mobo for the exact same model with no issues. and just keep on
truckin...

What would you do?

On 23 Jun 2005 21:02:06 -0700, "Michael 23"
<zionblue@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi again and thanks for all your time spent. I owe you a cold one (of
>whatever variety you prefer - coke, heineken, let me know next time you
>are in southern utah, ok?)
>
>Anyway, I got my hands on an identical working processor, put it in the
>board, and had same problem.Then tried my cpu in a working mobo, just
>fine...
>( I also tested / swapped the cmos battery, and tried different ram...
>no results)
>so I have determined that in fact it IS the board, and I will be doing
>that RMA and hoping for the best.
>
>Turns out there is a neighbor in my small town with - no joke - over
>200 pc's in all states of disrepair in his shop. He must have hundreds
>of motherboards stacked and piled all over the place, and he gave me a
>comparable speed mobo/cpu combo for testing... and both work, and he
>said I can just have 'em.
>Geesh - if I had only known..
>
>So now it just comes down to one decision... do I return the board for
>refund/credit, and rebuild the machine with a different mobo/cpu combo,
>
>OR do I go for an exchange and hope that the next one actually works,
>and thus be able to do as I originally planned, which was to swap the
>mobo for the exact same model with no issues. and just keep on
>truckin...
>
>What would you do?

I've not be fond of Soyo since the Pentium 1 days (wouldn't
really call it "fond" then but they seemed ok). Add to
this, that your board died and the replacement didn't work
either, and I would rather avoid another of same board.

Not knowing what make/model this replacement board is, nor
what shape it's in, I can't know if it's a good alternative
or if you might be better off (asking the vendor if you
might) getting a credit towards a different motherboard
instead of same thing.

However, you did write about lots of custom tweaks and
settings- and I don't know how long it'd take you to
recreate that environment again. What I'd probably do is go
for a different board, whatever seems the best bet, and make
a backup of the current OS parititon. Then I'd do a repair
install of the OS and reapply the OS patches and DirectX,
etc, proceeding from there to determine what can be imported
from the backup to expedite anything that needs (re)tweaked.

Then again, if you're going to go through the whole 9 years,
now might be a good time to contemplate whether you might
want an upgrade, a newer CPU/etc instead of just a board.