XP SP2 Windows Firewall & ActiveSync...

August 7, 2004 3:37:09 PM

With the imminent public release of the final version XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), users should be aware
of the new Windows Firewall (the replacement for the old Internet Connection Firewall) that is
enabled automatically during installation and upon subsequent startups of the PC. The Windows
Firewall *WILL* block ActiveSync and Connection Manager ports on the PC. If installed correctly, the
firewall should prompt the user if both the Connection Manager and ActiveSync should be UNBLOCKED.
Answer YES to both. If the Windows Firewall does not prompt the user, then the user can manually add
both Connection Manager and ActiveSync to the Windows Firewall Exceptions list. Use the following
paths to configure the firewall...

ActiveSync..

C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESMgr.exe

Connection Manager...

C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe

Additional information concerning the manual configuration of the Windows Firewall can be seen in
this "Cable Guy" article...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...

Additional XP SP2 information...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/overview.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/technologiesover...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

August 7, 2004 3:37:10 PM

> With the imminent public release of the final version XP Service Pack 2
(SP2), users should be aware
> of the new Windows Firewall (the replacement for the old Internet
Connection Firewall) that is
> enabled automatically during installation and upon subsequent startups of
the PC. The Windows
> Firewall *WILL* block ActiveSync and Connection Manager ports on the PC.
If installed correctly, the
> firewall should prompt the user if both the Connection Manager and
ActiveSync should be UNBLOCKED.
> Answer YES to both. If the Windows Firewall does not prompt the user, then
the user can manually add
> both Connection Manager and ActiveSync to the Windows Firewall Exceptions
list. Use the following
> paths to configure the firewall...
>
> ActiveSync..
>
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESMgr.exe
>
> Connection Manager...
>
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe
>
> Additional information concerning the manual configuration of the Windows
Firewall can be seen in
> this "Cable Guy" article...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...
>
> Additional XP SP2 information...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/overview.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/technologiesover...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

Good post, Al.

How many posts on this subject
do ya figure will we see in the next week or so anyway? ;-)

Maybe you should post again with the (suggested)
topic line:

"FIX: Active Sync Does Not Work After Installing XP SP2"
August 7, 2004 9:11:36 PM

V Green wrote:
> Maybe you should post again with the (suggested)
> topic line:
>
> "FIX: Active Sync Does Not Work After Installing XP SP2"

How about "Active Sync May Not Work After Installing XP SP2 If Luser
Doesn't Bother To Read On-Screen Instructions And Presses Buttons Randomly
As Expected"?

--
When I said "we", officer, I was referring to myself, the four young
ladies, and, of course, the goat.

"René" <garbagejunkandcrap@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> V Green wrote:
> > Maybe you should post again with the (suggested)
> > topic line:
> >
> > "FIX: Active Sync Does Not Work After Installing XP SP2"
>

> How about "Active Sync May Not Work After Installing XP SP2 If Luser
> Doesn't Bother To Read On-Screen Instructions And Presses Buttons Randomly
> As Expected"?
>
> --
> When I said "we", officer, I was referring to myself, the four young
> ladies, and, of course, the goat.

Even better...
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 9:09:57 AM

Thanks for the heads up. XP Firewall has been a pain in the past.
I've never liked the Windows XP firewall anyway, it's the first I
disable on every XP computer I encounter. After that I install
a more manageable, friendlier firewall such as Norton Internet Security
(which on the side also has great ad filtering built in).

~S.

"Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in

> With the imminent public release of the final version XP Service Pack 2
> (SP2), users should be aware of the new Windows Firewall (the
> replacement for the old Internet Connection Firewall) that is enabled
> automatically during installation and upon subsequent startups of the
> PC. The Windows Firewall *WILL* block ActiveSync and Connection Manager
> ports on the PC. If installed correctly, the firewall should prompt the
> user if both the Connection Manager and ActiveSync should be UNBLOCKED.
> Answer YES to both. If the Windows Firewall does not prompt the user,
> then the user can manually add both Connection Manager and ActiveSync to
> the Windows Firewall Exceptions list. Use the following paths to
> configure the firewall...
>
> ActiveSync..
>
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESMgr.exe
>
> Connection Manager...
>
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe
>
> Additional information concerning the manual configuration of the
> Windows Firewall can be seen in this "Cable Guy" article...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...
>
> Additional XP SP2 information...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/overview.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/technologiesover...

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

Thanks for the heads-up Al. I just recently got my Norton firewall/active
sync issues under control. I'm anticipating the XP Service Pack 2, along
with an office upgrade from 2000 to 2003. I'm going to have a lot on my
plate at one time, for sure!
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 4:33:37 PM

better still just disable the damned thing and use ZoneAlarm instead!!!

> With the imminent public release of the final version XP Service Pack 2
(SP2), users should be aware
> of the new Windows Firewall (the replacement for the old Internet
Connection Firewall) that is
> enabled automatically during installation and upon subsequent startups of
the PC. The Windows
> Firewall *WILL* block ActiveSync and Connection Manager ports on the PC.
If installed correctly, the
> firewall should prompt the user if both the Connection Manager and
ActiveSync should be UNBLOCKED.
> Answer YES to both. If the Windows Firewall does not prompt the user, then
the user can manually add
> both Connection Manager and ActiveSync to the Windows Firewall Exceptions
list. Use the following
> paths to configure the firewall...
>
> ActiveSync..
>
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESMgr.exe
>
> Connection Manager...
>
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe
>
> Additional information concerning the manual configuration of the Windows
Firewall can be seen in
> this "Cable Guy" article...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...
>
> Additional XP SP2 information...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/overview.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/technologiesover...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

Anonymous
August 8, 2004 7:11:32 PM

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the heads up. XP Firewall has been a pain in the past.
> I've never liked the Windows XP firewall anyway, it's the first I
> disable on every XP computer I encounter. After that I install
> a more manageable, friendlier firewall such as Norton Internet Security
> (which on the side also has great ad filtering built in).

give this new one a try....because you can set PROGRAMS which are aloud
through the firewall, but you can also set ports.....not bad if you ask me!
much better then the "old" firewall-feature.
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 7:11:33 PM

As a test maybe on my workstation at work which has no firewall
(and doesn't need it thanks to the hardware firewalls), but not
for my home computers. I've been using program level access and
configurable ports/protocols/destinations for a few years now
and re-learning the holes of renewed firewall doesn't fit in my
time schedule ;)

~S.

"-= Mikey =-" <M.Gestel*REMOVETHIS*@home.nl> wrote in

> give this new one a try....because you can set PROGRAMS which are aloud
> through the firewall, but you can also set ports.....not bad if you ask
> me! much better then the "old" firewall-feature.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 10:45:53 AM

Hey, Al: Didn't know how to reach you via email.

Just wanted to let you know that I added your SP2 advice to my
ActiveSync QuickFAQ...

http://ogasawalrus.com/mobileviews/mobilefaqs/ActiveSyn...

....verbatim from your newsgroup post with full attribution to you. Hope
this is ok. If not, let me know and I will pull the section from my
QuickFAQ.
--
Todd Ogasawara, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
Online Editor - http://MobileViews.com/ -- PDA & Wireless Info

Sooner Al wrote:
> With the imminent public release of the final version XP Service Pack 2
> (SP2), users should be aware of the new Windows Firewall (the
> replacement for the old Internet Connection Firewall) that is enabled
> automatically during installation and upon subsequent startups of the
> PC. The Windows Firewall *WILL* block ActiveSync and Connection Manager
> ports on the PC. If installed correctly, the firewall should prompt the
> user if both the Connection Manager and ActiveSync should be UNBLOCKED.
> Answer YES to both. If the Windows Firewall does not prompt the user,
> then the user can manually add both Connection Manager and ActiveSync to
> the Windows Firewall Exceptions list. Use the following paths to
> configure the firewall...
>
> ActiveSync..
>
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESMgr.exe
>
> Connection Manager...
>
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe
>
> Additional information concerning the manual configuration of the
> Windows Firewall can be seen in this "Cable Guy" article...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...
>
> Additional XP SP2 information...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/overview.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/technologiesover...

Anonymous
August 9, 2004 3:54:04 PM

That's fine... Thanks for the heads up...

--

"Todd Ogasawara, Mobile Devices MVP" <Todd_MSN@NOSPAMmsn.com> wrote in message
> Hey, Al: Didn't know how to reach you via email.
>
> Just wanted to let you know that I added your SP2 advice to my ActiveSync QuickFAQ...
>
> http://ogasawalrus.com/mobileviews/mobilefaqs/ActiveSyn...
>
> ...verbatim from your newsgroup post with full attribution to you. Hope this is ok. If not, let me
> know and I will pull the section from my QuickFAQ.
> --
> Todd Ogasawara, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
> Online Editor - http://MobileViews.com/ -- PDA & Wireless Info
> http://www.OgasaWalrus.com/MobileDot/ - Brief News & Comments
>

> Sooner Al wrote:
>> With the imminent public release of the final version XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), users should be
>> aware of the new Windows Firewall (the replacement for the old Internet Connection Firewall) that
>> is enabled automatically during installation and upon subsequent startups of the PC. The Windows
>> Firewall *WILL* block ActiveSync and Connection Manager ports on the PC. If installed correctly,
>> the firewall should prompt the user if both the Connection Manager and ActiveSync should be
>> UNBLOCKED. Answer YES to both. If the Windows Firewall does not prompt the user, then the user
>> can manually add both Connection Manager and ActiveSync to the Windows Firewall Exceptions list.
>> Use the following paths to configure the firewall...
>>
>> ActiveSync..
>>
>> C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESMgr.exe
>>
>> Connection Manager...
>>
>> C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe
>>
>> Additional information concerning the manual configuration of the Windows Firewall can be seen in
>> this "Cable Guy" article...
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...
>>
>> Additional XP SP2 information...
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/overview.mspx
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/technologiesover...

August 9, 2004 9:15:20 PM

Todd Ogasawara, Mobile Devices MVP wrote:
> ActiveSync QuickFAQ...

Well, seeing how one of the FAQs is "How can I use ActiveSync
wirelessly?", you may want to add "Infrared" to the options. Laptops
usually have an IrDA port already installed; on desktop computers, you can
buy a dongle (shaped like those USB memory sticks) and plug it into an
available USB port (either directly or by means of a USB extension cable.
I recommend the latter for better alignment of the Ir ports).
Recommended for all those users who either don't have BT, or are worried
about RF fields nuking their brain, or who want a $9 solution instead the
$150 option ;)
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 10:25:49 AM

I have tried adding WCESMgr.exe and wcescomm.exe as exceptions within the
enabled firewall. I have tried disabling the firewall.

Yet I still cannot sync post XP SP2.

Any advice would be very gratefully received!!!

Neil Cole
August 12, 2004 6:04:58 PM

Neil Cole wrote:
> I have tried adding WCESMgr.exe and wcescomm.exe
> as exceptions within the enabled firewall.
> I have tried disabling the firewall.

I checked the settings in my Windows firewall, and on top of the
Exceptions list are ActiveSync Application and ActiveSync Connection
Manager. But I didn't have to add them manually, I merely clicked Unblock
when the question first came up. The firewall is enabled, and I can sync
my own Toshiba e335 (PPC 2002, via cradle or infrared) as well as another
device, a H-P Jornada 548 (PPC 2000, via infrared) without any problems.
Environment is Outlook 2003, SP1; WXP Pro, SP2; ActiveSync 3.7.1

Connection settings in ActiveSync:
[X] Allow serial cable or infrared connection to this COM port
[X] Allow USB connection with this desktop computer
[X] Allow network (Ethernet) and Remote Access Service (RAS)

I didn't have to change any settings though, after I installed XPSP2.
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 12:34:15 AM

Neil Cole wrote:
> *I have tried adding WCESMgr.exe and wcescomm.exe as exceptions
> within the
> enabled firewall. I have tried disabling the firewall.
>
> Yet I still cannot sync post XP SP2.
>
> Any advice would be very gratefully received!!!
>
> Neil Cole *

I had the same issue with my XDA2. What I did:
- Remove the Activesync apps from the firewall but leave it on.
- Connect your PDA and do a soft boot of the PDA.
- The Firewall should ask if you want to use ActiveSync, click unblock
for both.

Hope it works for you.

--
oneview