Working Temperature Range for P4

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Hi,

Anybody could tell me, or point me to a resource, regarding a list of
working temperature limits of Intel Pentium4 2.0-3.4GHz processors (both
478 and LGA; northwood, presscott, and EE series)? What are the
normal/recommended working temperatures, and max safe limit for each of
those processors?

TIA

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

The ideal operating temperatures for all P4's is between 37 - 47C. The
MAXIMUM operating temp for P4's under load is 70 C.

--
DaveW

"Ricky Romaya" <something@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Anybody could tell me, or point me to a resource, regarding a list of
> working temperature limits of Intel Pentium4 2.0-3.4GHz processors (both
> 478 and LGA; northwood, presscott, and EE series)? What are the
> normal/recommended working temperatures, and max safe limit for each of
> those processors?
>
> TIA

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I don't know of a site right off-hand but the max op. temp is 65 to 70
degrees C, I think.

My 478 2.5 intel celeron, slightly overclocked to 2.67 runs in the 20 to
30 degrees C range with just fans.

DRG

Ricky Romaya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anybody could tell me, or point me to a resource, regarding a list of
> working temperature limits of Intel Pentium4 2.0-3.4GHz processors (both
> 478 and LGA; northwood, presscott, and EE series)? What are the
> normal/recommended working temperatures, and max safe limit for each of
> those processors?
>
> TIA

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On 14 Jun 2005 18:51:09 GMT, Ricky Romaya
<something@somewhere.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Anybody could tell me, or point me to a resource, regarding a list of
>working temperature limits of Intel Pentium4 2.0-3.4GHz processors (both
>478 and LGA; northwood, presscott, and EE series)? What are the
>normal/recommended working temperatures, and max safe limit for each of
>those processors?
>
>TIA

The temp can vary by 5-10C based on the specific CPU core
and frequency. See http://www.intel.com for the specifics
per each CPU. In general, the max temp is around 85-90C,
but the maximum temp at which one can expect stable
operation (at stock speeds) is closer to 70C, a little
higher for the lower speeds in each family and a little
higher for the upper speeds per family.

Recommended temps are dependant on the application- one
cannot realistically expect some configurations (particuarly
low-profile chassis) to provide as much airflow or heatsink
clearance as larger chassis. A ballpark might be 46C, in a
typical 24C room. IE- 22C over the ambient temp, so if your
ambient were 30C, it'd be expected that CPU temp rises to
52C. As a processor's frequency increases (with all other
things remaining equal) the heat also linearly increases, so
the upper speed Prescotts would have a bit more than 22C
rise over ambient.

If you put your questions into a context it might be easier
tailor an answer, but the general idea is that with a
typical climate-controlled room (moderate ambient temp) and
a case designed as per AMD or Intel guidelines, either CPU
will stay cool enough with the respective retail CPU boxed
heatsink... and one does not have to be concerned about
hitting any specific threshold except to keep the CPU cool
enough that it remains stable.

That max stable temp can vary per specimen of CPU also, so
it's a good idea to test this stability at full load in the
max anticipated ambient temps. Such tests much check the
work done by the CPU else errors would go unnoticed.
Towards that end Prime95's Torture Test is a good one if ran
for minimum of 45minutes, but practically for hours or a
whole day.

unkn2232324

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

DRG - How in the world do you get a temp of 20C (68F) in the case? Even
30C is only 86F and that'd be only some 10-15 degrees F over normal
ambient room temp. I hope you wear a set of good long johns when you're
at your computer -- it must be in a refrigerator or maybe even a deep
freeze.

One site I saw quotes max for a P4 as 64-78 C, dependent on the
particular processor, pretty consistent with your 65-70.

In article <kbIre.1256$Nz2.1122@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
da@ovrclkr.com says...

DaveW wrote:
> The ideal operating temperatures for all P4's is between 37 - 47C. The
> MAXIMUM operating temp for P4's under load is 70 C.

pretty much what I said.

Clyde writes:

> When I hear the alarm going off for "yellow" I know that my Zalman is
> getting coated with dust.

Do you have filters on the incoming fans?

RJ

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:14:00 -0700, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>The ideal operating temperatures for all P4's is between 37 - 47C. The
>MAXIMUM operating temp for P4's under load is 70 C.

Intel specs the max temp of my P4 2.8 Ghz (75watt) Northwood core as
75C but the Prescotts are (100watt) spec'd for a max of 65C. With
their extended pipeline, hot temperatures, higher power disipation,
and lower max temperature, I wonder why anyone gets a Prescott.
My Northwood beats a 3.0 ghz Prescott without even overclocking it.

Clyde

Mxsmanic wrote:
> Clyde writes:
>

>>When I hear the alarm going off for "yellow" I know that my Zalman is
>>getting coated with dust.
>

> Do you have filters on the incoming fans?

Yes. Well, somewhat. I put a used fabric softener sheet over the fan
intake hole. It filters out most of the dust, etc. It doesn't filter out
all of it, but I doubt anything would. I change it every couple of
weeks. That means that I only blow out the Zalman and case 2 or 3 times
a year.

Clyde

Clyde

RJ wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:14:00 -0700, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:
>

>>The ideal operating temperatures for all P4's is between 37 - 47C. The
>>MAXIMUM operating temp for P4's under load is 70 C.
>

> Intel specs the max temp of my P4 2.8 Ghz (75watt) Northwood core as
> 75C but the Prescotts are (100watt) spec'd for a max of 65C. With
> their extended pipeline, hot temperatures, higher power disipation,
> and lower max temperature, I wonder why anyone gets a Prescott.
> My Northwood beats a 3.0 ghz Prescott without even overclocking it.

I got a Prescott, because that is what was available when I stupidly
screwed up my 3.0 Northwood.

I keep reading that the Prescott is slower than the Northwood. My 3.2
Prescott runs a tad faster than the 3.0 Northwood that I had. It isn't
much, but it is slightly noticeable for what I do.

Yes, it runs slightly hotter, but it is designed to run slightly hotter.
The default alarms in Intel Active Monitor are set higher for my
Prescott. It hits the "yellow" at 57C and the "red" at 69C. (Not 65C) In
practice, it doesn't make any difference. In normal operation, the temp
is about the same. The fan isn't making any more noise. The room isn't
any hotter. It doesn't activate the alarms any more often.

Besides, someday the software will be optimized for the longer pipeline
in Prescott.

Clyde

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 04:48:57 -0700, RJ <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:14:00 -0700, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:
>
>>The ideal operating temperatures for all P4's is between 37 - 47C. The
>>MAXIMUM operating temp for P4's under load is 70 C.
>
>Intel specs the max temp of my P4 2.8 Ghz (75watt) Northwood core as
>75C but the Prescotts are (100watt) spec'd for a max of 65C. With
>their extended pipeline, hot temperatures, higher power disipation,
>and lower max temperature, I wonder why anyone gets a Prescott.
>My Northwood beats a 3.0 ghz Prescott without even overclocking it.

Same reason anyone who wasn't video-editing (et al apps
w/SSE3 opts) bought a P4 all along, that the "numbers" are
bigger. Prescott has higher MHz. Additionally, that
they're (moreso every day) becoming lower priced because
those who sell at lowest markups, sell the most stock and
turn over inventory faster, so those vendors run out of
Northwoods and are ordering what's now available in bulk-
Prescotts.

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:03:22 -0500, Clyde
<clyde@world.comedy> wrote:

>Besides, someday the software will be optimized for the longer pipeline
>in Prescott.

That seems awefully optimistic considering Northwood had
relatively long pipes already and now with Pentium-M and
dual cores arriving.

Clyde

kony wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:03:22 -0500, Clyde
> <clyde@world.comedy> wrote:
>

>>Besides, someday the software will be optimized for the longer pipeline
>>in Prescott.
>

> That seems awefully optimistic considering Northwood had
> relatively long pipes already and now with Pentium-M and
> dual cores arriving.

Should we not be optimistic about the great Intel. ;-) Well, that was
the plan anyway. Who knows what will really happen. Not me. Duel cores
very likely changed that plan. Pentium-M has been around longer than my
3.2 Prescott. Well, it's still good for today.

Thanks,
Clyde

Darkpriest667

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
the only reason i registered was to respond to this post while looking for my critical temperature on my p (r) 4 2.66 ... asus p5gd1 is the board....

Anyway.. you guys are all full of crap and so are the people at intel...

I ran my pc with an airconditioner blowing the cold air directly into the input.. and even in idle it barely would register below 50 degrees...

When i dont have my air conditioner on (like now in the winter)

it will never run below 57.. and to say the threshold is 70 is crap.. ive had this thing running at 81 degrees and when i took the heatsink off to check the processor... the heatsink glue was as white as the day it went on...... ive repeatedly cleaned out the heatsinks and the fans... only to find that will only lower the temperature maybe 1 or 2 degrees

Stop spreading lies about the threshold temp.. i believe the honest answer is ... no one intel associated or otherwise has even tested the limits of the p4 because of their little trick to make the processor slow down..... my guess would be... probably around 85 c.... but ive never dared let it go that high..

all the lists i can tell say the threshold temp is about 70... thats obviously a lie ive had it way over 70.... I liked the old days of computers.. if the threshold was 65.. at 65 your comp bit the dust... now you have no idea who to believe....

current data with air conditioner running in december in north texas

motherboard 35 C 95 F
processor 57 c 138 F
aux 20 c 70 F

thats teh facts folks.. and thats with nothing but the webbrowser and the everest software running.... now tell me whats the problem here