Archived from groups: comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Hi,

I'm an Intel guy trying to make a leap of faith to AMD. Can anybody
recommend a setup for Opteron64? What is the speed range of Opteron64 (min-
max GHz)? What is the difference between Opteron and Sempron? What chipset
to use? Which mobo vendor to use? What are the precautions and additional
peripherals needed to ensure low temperature and stability (someone once
told me the standard fan which come with the processor is not good enough
if the pc is to be used non-stop).

If it's possible, I'd like to know 2 seperate setup configuration, one for
value (price is the utmost concern, mainly will be used for office
application), and another for performance (gaming needs). However, for
both, no onboard video adapter, please.

TIA

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

In article <Xns967617BD890A3rickyralexandriacc@66.250.146.159>, Ricky
Romaya says...
> Hi,
>
> I'm an Intel guy trying to make a leap of faith to AMD. Can anybody
> recommend a setup for Opteron64? What is the speed range of Opteron64 (min-
> max GHz)? What is the difference between Opteron and Sempron? What chipset
> to use? Which mobo vendor to use? What are the precautions and additional
> peripherals needed to ensure low temperature and stability (someone once
> told me the standard fan which come with the processor is not good enough
> if the pc is to be used non-stop).
>
> If it's possible, I'd like to know 2 seperate setup configuration, one for
> value (price is the utmost concern, mainly will be used for office
> application), and another for performance (gaming needs). However, for
> both, no onboard video adapter, please.

You don't need to go to Opteron...its a server chip. Just go for
Athlon64 for performance and Sempron for budget. Stick to socket 939 as
it is compatible with the new dual core chips. Also stick to nForce4
Ultra chipsets. Best board is an ASUS AN8-SLI Delux IMO.

Precautions for heat? Well seeing as they run FAR COOLER and with far
lower power requirements than Intel P4s, it's not going to be much of
an issue.

--
Conor

"Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"

Conor wrote:

" Best board is an ASUS AN8-SLI Delux IMO. "

The AN8-SLI is made by Abit. The A8N-SLI is made by Asus.

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in

> You don't need to go to Opteron...its a server chip. Just go for
> Athlon64 for performance and Sempron for budget. Stick to socket 939
> as it is compatible with the new dual core chips. Also stick to
> nForce4 Ultra chipsets. Best board is an ASUS AN8-SLI Delux IMO.

Is it safe to say that, comparing to Intel processors (figuratively
speaking, as some of the AMD is 64bit as opposed to Intel which are all
32bit), Opteron is the parallel for Xeon, Athlon64 for Pentium4, and
Sempron for Celeron?

How many socket types are there for AMD? Have AMD released their dual core
chips, under what name?

TIA

Ricky Romaya wrote:

> Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > You don't need to go to Opteron...its a server chip. Just go for
> > Athlon64 for performance and Sempron for budget. Stick to socket 939
> > as it is compatible with the new dual core chips. Also stick to
> > nForce4 Ultra chipsets. Best board is an ASUS AN8-SLI Delux IMO.
> >
> Is it safe to say that, comparing to Intel processors (figuratively
> speaking, as some of the AMD is 64bit as opposed to Intel which are all
> 32bit), Opteron is the parallel for Xeon, Athlon64 for Pentium4, and
> Sempron for Celeron?
>
> How many socket types are there for AMD? Have AMD released their dual core
> chips, under what name?

Hi,

Actually the Intel Xeons have "EM64T", which "extends" the Xeons to
64-bit. I don't think (stand to be corrected) that Intel has a 64-bit
capable processor that is equivalent to the Athlon 64s though.

I think for "current", AMD has CPUs for 3 different sockets: Socket A,
754, and 939.

Some of AMD's dual core CPUS are out now, and they're called the "X2":

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=amddc

Jim

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in

> Precautions for heat? Well seeing as they run FAR COOLER and with far
> lower power requirements than Intel P4s, it's not going to be much of
> an issue.

Forgot to ask, what is the "normal" or optimal temps for 2.0-3.xGHz AMD
chips family, loaded and un-loaded, with the standard fan/cooling scheme (1
to 2 extra casing fans, assuming the casing have good enough airflow)?

TIA

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

In article <Xns967873897E5C7rickyralexandriacc@66.250.146.159>, Ricky
Romaya says...
> Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > You don't need to go to Opteron...its a server chip. Just go for
> > Athlon64 for performance and Sempron for budget. Stick to socket 939
> > as it is compatible with the new dual core chips. Also stick to
> > nForce4 Ultra chipsets. Best board is an ASUS AN8-SLI Delux IMO.
> >
> Is it safe to say that, comparing to Intel processors (figuratively
> speaking, as some of the AMD is 64bit as opposed to Intel which are all
> 32bit), Opteron is the parallel for Xeon, Athlon64 for Pentium4, and
> Sempron for Celeron?

Spot on that man. Yup, just about sums it up.

> How many socket types are there for AMD? Have AMD released their dual core
> chips, under what name?

Socket A (discontinued), Socket 754 (only CPUs up to 3500), Socket 939
and Socket 940. Socket 939 seems to be the one they've settled on
although there's news of a "M2" but if it were my money, I'd spend it
on socket 939.

AMD dual core chips have the X2 suffix, i.e AMD Athlon64 X2

--

"Ricky Romaya" <something@somewhere.com> wrote...

> Is it safe to say that, comparing to Intel processors (figuratively
> speaking, as some of the AMD is 64bit as opposed to Intel which are all
> 32bit), Opteron is the parallel for Xeon, Athlon64 for Pentium4, and
> Sempron for Celeron?

That's as good a comparison as any.

I have a dual Opteron 246 rig. You don't need Opteron unless you're going dual
CPU. Instead, go for the FX series Athlon 64 for the best single-CPU
performance ( => Intel Extreme).