IDE extension cable/adaptor

OK, here's the problem.
I want to mount an IDE drive in a locked box outside the computer.
In order to be able to move the computer ( or in the event of theft? )
I need to find some way of having an ide cable connector outside of
the computer case - so that the IDE cable coming from the mo'board can
simply be unplugged without having to access either the computer
internals or the secured hard drive.
The thinking here is that if someone's gonna pinch the compy, they
probably won't have the nous to realise the HD is externally mounted,
or the time and kit to hack open a small safe.

It occurred to me that what's needed is an IDE extension cable ( i.e.
female on the mo'board end, male on the other ) or an adaptor to
bridge two standard ( female to female ) IDE cables together.
But can I find one?? Nope - or at least not one that's ATA66/100
compatible.

Anyone know of a likely source in the UK ,or even something that could
be adapted ( such as an ide back/front plate ) ??
I tried fiddling about connecting two IDE cables together with brass
pins..but it doesn't work.

Serial drives aren't an option - as yet.

Cheers,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
More about extension cable adaptor

    "Stephen Howard" <seesigfor@email.uk> wrote in message

    > OK, here's the problem.
    > I want to mount an IDE drive in a locked box outside the computer.
    > In order to be able to move the computer ( or in the event of theft? )
    > I need to find some way of having an ide cable connector outside of
    > the computer case - so that the IDE cable coming from the mo'board can
    > simply be unplugged without having to access either the computer
    > internals or the secured hard drive.
    > The thinking here is that if someone's gonna pinch the compy, they
    > probably won't have the nous to realise the HD is externally mounted,
    > or the time and kit to hack open a small safe.
    >
    > It occurred to me that what's needed is an IDE extension cable ( i.e.
    > female on the mo'board end, male on the other ) or an adaptor to
    > bridge two standard ( female to female ) IDE cables together.
    > But can I find one?? Nope - or at least not one that's ATA66/100
    > compatible.
    >
    > Anyone know of a likely source in the UK ,or even something that could
    > be adapted ( such as an ide back/front plate ) ??
    > I tried fiddling about connecting two IDE cables together with brass
    > pins..but it doesn't work.
    >
    > Serial drives aren't an option - as yet.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >

    > --
    > Stephen Howard - Woodwind repairs & period restorations
    > www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    > Emails to: showard{whoisat}shwoodwind{dot}co{dot}uk

    There a a couple of options that may be feasible for you.

    1. Use the IDE disk in a removable caddy, something like this
    http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10214024&pid=206&rstrat=3187
    ..When the disk needs to be secured remove from caddy and place in a safe or
    take it with you.

    2. Use a SCSI disk, an adaptor card such as the 2940UW allows the fitting of
    an external drive to its external connector.

    MJP

    Stephen Howard wrote:

    " It occurred to me that what's needed is an IDE extension cable ( i.e.
    female on the mo'board end, male on the other ) or an adaptor to bridge
    two standard ( female to female ) IDE cables together. But can I find
    one?? Nope - or at least not one that's ATA66/100 compatible. "

    IDE cable length wasn't really a problem at ATA-33 speeds. As the
    external bus speed increased, it was noticed that any cable over 18
    inches in length gave rise to corrupted data upon transfer. That's the
    reason you won't find ATA-66/100/133 extension cables. You say that
    SATA is out of the question, so your best bet is to look towards getting
    an external USB hard drive.

    Get an IDE/USB adapter. You can run a hard drive via a usb port. I
    found these on ebay, I'm sure they are elsewhere.

    Try here:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42322&item=6778682368&rd=1

    Hope this helps.

    DRG

    P.S. This is not my auction nor have I ever used one of these.

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:20:47 GMT, l <ll@lll.com> wrote:

    >Get an IDE/USB adapter. You can run a hard drive via a usb port. I
    >found these on ebay, I'm sure they are elsewhere.
    >
    >Try here:
    >
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42322&item=6778682368&rd=1
    >
    >Hope this helps.
    >
    >DRG
    >
    >P.S. This is not my auction nor have I ever used one of these.

    Cheers for the suggestions so far:

    The 18" boundary isn't a problem, it's plenty long enough for my
    purposes - I just need to be able to split the cable in two.

    I considered scsi - and I've got plenty of adaptors spare ( no decent
    drives though ), but then if I was going to invest in a new drive I'd
    probably go for Serial and get an adaptor ( trying to keep it cheap!
    ). I'd still need a split cable though.

    I already use removeable caddies, but only for backup - the idea
    behind this project is to cut down on faffing around whilst still
    enhancing security.

    I'm a bit sceptical about the USB solution in terms of speed - would
    it match ATA66 throughput? If not, I might as well run the drives on
    40 strand cable.
    Can such drives be bootable also?

    Regards,

    www.shwoodwind.co.uk

    why not try an external hard drive with both firewire and usb2,
    that way you can have the best of both worlds.

    the other option i would suggest is using a network cable with
    and set up a nework storage device at the other end.

    cheers.
    p.j.

    In article <42b44755$0$11351$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
    insekta <insekta@iinet.net.au> wrote:
    >why not try an external hard drive with both firewire and usb2,
    >that way you can have the best of both worlds.
    >
    >the other option i would suggest is using a network cable with
    >and set up a nework storage device at the other end.
    >
    >cheers.
    >p.j.
    >
    >"Stephen Howard" <seesigfor@email.uk> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:20:47 GMT, l <ll@lll.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Get an IDE/USB adapter. You can run a hard drive via a usb port. I
    >>>found these on ebay, I'm sure they are elsewhere.
    >>>
    >>>Try here:
    >>>
    >>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42322&item=6778682368&rd=1
    >>>
    >>>Hope this helps.
    >>>
    >>>DRG
    >>>
    >>>P.S. This is not my auction nor have I ever used one of these.
    >>>
    >> Cheers for the suggestions so far:
    >>
    >> The 18" boundary isn't a problem, it's plenty long enough for my
    >> purposes - I just need to be able to split the cable in two.
    >>
    >> I considered scsi - and I've got plenty of adaptors spare ( no decent
    >> drives though ), but then if I was going to invest in a new drive I'd
    >> probably go for Serial and get an adaptor ( trying to keep it cheap!
    >> ). I'd still need a split cable though.
    >>
    >> I already use removeable caddies, but only for backup - the idea
    >> behind this project is to cut down on faffing around whilst still
    >> enhancing security.
    >>
    >> I'm a bit sceptical about the USB solution in terms of speed - would
    >> it match ATA66 throughput? If not, I might as well run the drives on
    >> 40 strand cable.
    >> Can such drives be bootable also?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>

    >> --
    >> Stephen Howard - Woodwind repairs & period restorations
    >> www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    >> Emails to: showard{whoisat}shwoodwind{dot}co{dot}uk

    You can get a SATA control card that gives your a SATA connector on
    back panel. There are also SATA backpack enclosures.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Homebuilt Computer Cable Systems