Maximum RAM per slot on a AZZA PT-810DTC motherboard

Hello All:

I have a AZZA PT-810DTC motherboard (has 2 DIMM slots) bought in 1999
and planning to upgrade my RAM. I got to know from the Manual that the
RAM should be a 168-pin PC-100Mhz SDRAM DIMM. It also tells that the
maximum memory size is 512 MB. It is not clear it this limit is per
slot or for both slots put together.

Does anyone know what is the maximum size per DIMM module possible on
this motherboard. I wish to have maximum memory on this machine that
has 2 DIMM modules. Does the machine allow 512MB memory chip or a
256MB memory chip?

Thanks in advance,

Elbert

On 18 Jun 2005 06:53:03 -0700, "Elbert" <elbertj@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hello All:
>
>I have a AZZA PT-810DTC motherboard (has 2 DIMM slots) bought in 1999
>and planning to upgrade my RAM. I got to know from the Manual that the
>RAM should be a 168-pin PC-100Mhz SDRAM DIMM. It also tells that the
>maximum memory size is 512 MB. It is not clear it this limit is per
>slot or for both slots put together.
>
>Does anyone know what is the maximum size per DIMM module possible on
>this motherboard. I wish to have maximum memory on this machine that
>has 2 DIMM modules. Does the machine allow 512MB memory chip or a
>256MB memory chip?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Elbert

256MB maximum per slot and 512MB total. Only low-density
memory, not typical PC133 but common (more expensive) PC100.

If you'd planned to add more than 256MB, you might consider
that performane-wise you're facing an uphill battle, it may
be more cost-effective in the long run to just replace the
board, perhaps CPU/etc too.

Thanks Kony. I already have a 256MB chip and planning to fill the
left out slot with another 256MB RAM. The machine has a PIII 550Mhz
processor. Do you mean to say that the machine performance will not
double by doubling the RAM on this m/b?

I understand that the cost of a 256MB SDRAM PC100 is almost equal to
that of a Mercury motherboard and is definitely a better option. But
the concern is in changing the RAM and processor as well. Hence
overall the cost is high, but my machine would be up-to-date for a few
more years!

On 19 Jun 2005 03:51:10 -0700, "Elbert" <elbertj@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Thanks Kony. I already have a 256MB chip and planning to fill the
>left out slot with another 256MB RAM. The machine has a PIII 550Mhz
>processor. Do you mean to say that the machine performance will not
>double by doubling the RAM on this m/b?

That's not quite what I meant...
Generally when one is aggressively-enough using their system
for multitasking, or doing single jobs needing this much
memory, the 550MHz CPU, memory bus, and perhaps drives and
video card a huge bottleneck too.

>I understand that the cost of a 256MB SDRAM PC100 is almost equal to
>that of a Mercury motherboard and is definitely a better option. But
>the concern is in changing the RAM and processor as well. Hence
>overall the cost is high, but my machine would be up-to-date for a few
>more years!

LOL.

If the system were a server and you needed that memory for
caching purposes, I could understand it better, but for
typical "PC" tasks, it's a bit of a mismatch to put 512MB in
a 550MHz system. Even so, it's you call... if you find
you're using more than 256MB then sure, it'll speed things
up some.