AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer

i was looking into a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer/Hammer Integrated
into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor and im gonna get a
atx case with atx mother board will this processor run on that?

im new to building pcs? dont even know if this question makes sence?
25 answers Last reply
More about athlon 3500 clawhammer

    whatcha mean it aint that good what you recommend??

    what processor you guys recommend for gaming amd xp or 64

    ps. the amd xp is the 64bit or is the amd 64 bit?

    im new i dont know nothing as matter of fact im reading a building a pc
    for dummies book as we speak lol i know lil bit bout pcs but i never
    built one i have no idea what a good brand of mb's there is i have no
    idea what pata raid is .... maybe you guys can recommend a book for me
    to read to understand this stuff more?

    so athlon 64 is both 64 and 32 bit and xp is only 32bit? which i would
    think 64 bit is better for gaming?

    how bout amd 64 fx? that the one to go with?

    how bout amd 64 fx? that the one to go with?

    whats a good manufacturer? of motherboard?

    Specification
    Mfr Part Number: NF4ST-A9
    CPU: Socket 939 For Athlon 64/ 64 FX/ Sempron Processors
    Chipset: NVidia nForce4 (FSB 1000) li>
    Memory: 4*184-pin DDR(400/333/266) DIMMs Up To 4 GB (Dual Channel)
    IDE: 2*ATA 133/100, 4* Serial ATA; ATA & SATA RAID 0,1,0+1
    Slots: 1*PCI-Express 16x, 2* PCI-Express, 3*PCI, 1*XGP (Xtreme Graphics
    Port)
    Audio: 8 Channel Realtek ALC850 AC97
    LAN: NVIDIA Gigabit Ethernet
    I/O: 10*USB2.0 (6 Front 4rear), 1* Parallel, 1* Serial, 1*RJ-45 Lan,
    1*Floppy, 1*SPDIF In/out
    Form Factor: ATX

    hows that?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote...
    > what processor you guys recommend for gaming amd xp or 64

    If you're looking for ultimate performance, the Athlon 64 FX series is what you
    want.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >i was looking into a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer/Hammer Integrated
    > into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor and im gonna get a
    > atx case with atx mother board will this processor run on that?
    >
    > im new to building pcs? dont even know if this question makes sence?

    check out that 3500...........sometimes they are not what they
    appear.........the 3500 may in fact only be equiv to 2600MHz.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    > whatcha mean it aint that good what you recommend??

    I don't recall saying it aint good...........I have just purchased the
    AMD3400 only to find it equates to a 2400............unfortunately I did not
    carry out a full review of the product before purchase. This said it's a
    fast processor or certainly better than my previous AMD 1200.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >i was looking into a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer/Hammer Integrated
    > into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

    The 512KB models aren't Clawhammers.

    >and im gonna get a atx case with atx mother board will this processor run
    >on that?

    As long as it's a socket 939 motherboard, yes.

    --
    Derek
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Ted" <OnThe@Upbtinternet.com> wrote in message

    > "Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> whatcha mean it aint that good what you recommend??
    >>

    > I don't recall saying it aint good...........I have just purchased the
    > AMD3400 only to find it equates to a 2400............unfortunately I did
    > not carry out a full review of the product before purchase. This said it's
    > a fast processor or certainly better than my previous AMD 1200.

    It doesn't equate to a 2400, it runs at 2400Mhz. That's not the same thing.
    Your chip is a hell of a lot faster than a 2400Mhz Pentium.

    --
    Derek
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    > what processor you guys recommend for gaming amd xp or 64

    Athlon 64.

    > ps. the amd xp is the 64bit or is the amd 64 bit?

    Athlon 64 is 64 and 32bit. Athlon XP is 32bit only.

    --
    Derek
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    > im new i dont know nothing as matter of fact im reading a building a pc
    > for dummies book as we speak lol i know lil bit bout pcs but i never
    > built one i have no idea what a good brand of mb's there is i have no
    > idea what pata raid is .... maybe you guys can recommend a book for me
    > to read to understand this stuff more?

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0789731738/qid=1119297817/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-9415407-2601444?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

    Can you use punctuation and capital letters please?

    --
    Derek
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    You can find out a lot here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

    > Can you use punctuation and capital letters please?

    --
    Derek
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    > so athlon 64 is both 64 and 32 bit and xp is only 32bit? which i would
    > think 64 bit is better for gaming?

    Yes, though there aren't many 64 bit games at the moment. The Athlon 64 is
    faster for 32 bit games due to improvements over the XP, most notably the
    integrated memory controller.

    --
    Derek
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    I thought the same thing, but there is a 2.2Ghz 3500+ that is a 512k
    clawhammer core.
    My guess is they just disable half of the L2 cache.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103514

    > "Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>i was looking into a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer/Hammer Integrated
    >> into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor
    >
    > The 512KB models aren't Clawhammers.
    >
    >>and im gonna get a atx case with atx mother board will this processor run
    >>on that?
    >
    > As long as it's a socket 939 motherboard, yes.
    >
    >> im new to building pcs? dont even know if this question makes sence?
    >>

    > --
    > Derek

  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    > how bout amd 64 fx? that the one to go with?

    If you can afford it, yes.

    --
    Derek
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    > how bout amd 64 fx? that the one to go with?

    You're repeating yourself :)

    --
    Derek
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    > whats a good manufacturer? of motherboard?

    Abit, Asus, MSI . . .

    --
    Derek
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    The 3500+ runs at a clockspeed of 2.2Ghz, but clock speed is not what
    determines a processors performance. The 3500+ outperforms a Pentium 4 that
    runs at much higher clock speeds in most benchmarks and applications. The
    4000+ at 2.4Ghz is faster than a 3.8Ghz P4 in almost every category.

    > "Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>i was looking into a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer/Hammer Integrated
    >> into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor and im gonna get a
    >> atx case with atx mother board will this processor run on that?
    >>
    >> im new to building pcs? dont even know if this question makes sence?
    >>

    > check out that 3500...........sometimes they are not what they
    > appear.........the 3500 may in fact only be equiv to 2600MHz.

  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    > Specification
    > Mfr Part Number: NF4ST-A9
    > CPU: Socket 939 For Athlon 64/ 64 FX/ Sempron Processors
    > Chipset: NVidia nForce4 (FSB 1000) li>
    > Memory: 4*184-pin DDR(400/333/266) DIMMs Up To 4 GB (Dual Channel)
    > IDE: 2*ATA 133/100, 4* Serial ATA; ATA & SATA RAID 0,1,0+1
    > Slots: 1*PCI-Express 16x, 2* PCI-Express, 3*PCI, 1*XGP (Xtreme Graphics
    > Port)
    > Audio: 8 Channel Realtek ALC850 AC97
    > LAN: NVIDIA Gigabit Ethernet
    > I/O: 10*USB2.0 (6 Front 4rear), 1* Parallel, 1* Serial, 1*RJ-45 Lan,
    > 1*Floppy, 1*SPDIF In/out
    > Form Factor: ATX
    >

    > hows that?

    Specs seem fine.

    --
    Derek
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <1119298010.760794.7150@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Chris
    says...
    > so athlon 64 is both 64 and 32 bit and xp is only 32bit? which i would
    > think 64 bit is better for gaming?

    Chris,

    Ignore the bad advice of the other two clowns, Ted and Dave, they've
    not got a clue.

    What you want is a Socket 939 board based on the nForce 4 chipset. The
    Abit AN8 SLi is a good board.

    Next you want an Athlon64. Contrary to pillocks advice, all Athlon 64s
    , Athlon FX and Athlon64 X2 are 64 bit, it is the Semprons that are 32
    bit.

    As to the speed, depends on what you can afford to be honest. AMD use a
    PR number for the speed rather than the clockspeed. Although AMD deny
    it, there was supposed to be a correlation between the AMD PR number
    and the equivalent speed a P4 would need to run at. So, an Athlon64
    3500+ would actually only be running at 2.4GHz but have a performance
    equal or better than an equivalent Intel running at 3.5GHz.

    --
    Conor

  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > im new i dont know nothing as matter of fact im reading a building a pc
    > for dummies book as we speak lol i know lil bit bout pcs but i never
    > built one i have no idea what a good brand of mb's there is i have no
    > idea what pata raid is .... maybe you guys can recommend a book for me
    > to read to understand this stuff more?

    gigabyte is probably thr best brand motherboard manufacturer at the minute.

    if you get stuck with something you could try going to

    http://www.webopedia.com

    and just typing in "ATA" without the quotes in the key words

    in a seperate search you might want to try searching for "RAID" without the
    quotes, this website should provide you with enough knowledge of what each
    part is.

    also try googling for "Build a PC"

    HTH

    Christo

Homebuilt AMD Processors Systems Product