Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 20, 2005 3:42:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

i was looking into a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer/Hammer Integrated
into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor and im gonna get a
atx case with atx mother board will this processor run on that?

im new to building pcs? dont even know if this question makes sence?
June 20, 2005 4:06:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

whatcha mean it aint that good what you recommend??
June 20, 2005 4:43:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

what processor you guys recommend for gaming amd xp or 64

ps. the amd xp is the 64bit or is the amd 64 bit?
Related resources
June 20, 2005 4:45:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

im new i dont know nothing as matter of fact im reading a building a pc
for dummies book as we speak lol i know lil bit bout pcs but i never
built one i have no idea what a good brand of mb's there is i have no
idea what pata raid is .... maybe you guys can recommend a book for me
to read to understand this stuff more?
June 20, 2005 5:06:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

so athlon 64 is both 64 and 32 bit and xp is only 32bit? which i would
think 64 bit is better for gaming?
June 20, 2005 5:15:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

how bout amd 64 fx? that the one to go with?
June 20, 2005 5:15:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

how bout amd 64 fx? that the one to go with?
June 20, 2005 5:16:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

whats a good manufacturer? of motherboard?
June 20, 2005 5:26:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Specification
Mfr Part Number: NF4ST-A9
CPU: Socket 939 For Athlon 64/ 64 FX/ Sempron Processors
Chipset: NVidia nForce4 (FSB 1000) li>
Memory: 4*184-pin DDR(400/333/266) DIMMs Up To 4 GB (Dual Channel)
IDE: 2*ATA 133/100, 4* Serial ATA; ATA & SATA RAID 0,1,0+1
Slots: 1*PCI-Express 16x, 2* PCI-Express, 3*PCI, 1*XGP (Xtreme Graphics
Port)
Audio: 8 Channel Realtek ALC850 AC97
LAN: NVIDIA Gigabit Ethernet
I/O: 10*USB2.0 (6 Front 4rear), 1* Parallel, 1* Serial, 1*RJ-45 Lan,
1*Floppy, 1*SPDIF In/out
Form Factor: ATX


hows that?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2005 8:38:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote...
> what processor you guys recommend for gaming amd xp or 64

If you're looking for ultimate performance, the Athlon 64 FX series is what you
want.
June 20, 2005 11:03:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1119292937.901077.244770@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>i was looking into a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer/Hammer Integrated
> into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor and im gonna get a
> atx case with atx mother board will this processor run on that?
>
> im new to building pcs? dont even know if this question makes sence?
>

check out that 3500...........sometimes they are not what they
appear.........the 3500 may in fact only be equiv to 2600MHz.
June 20, 2005 11:18:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1119294369.087337.292510@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> whatcha mean it aint that good what you recommend??
>

I don't recall saying it aint good...........I have just purchased the
AMD3400 only to find it equates to a 2400............unfortunately I did not
carry out a full review of the product before purchase. This said it's a
fast processor or certainly better than my previous AMD 1200.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2005 12:17:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1119292937.901077.244770@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>i was looking into a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer/Hammer Integrated
> into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

The 512KB models aren't Clawhammers.

>and im gonna get a atx case with atx mother board will this processor run
>on that?

As long as it's a socket 939 motherboard, yes.

> im new to building pcs? dont even know if this question makes sence?
>

--
Derek
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2005 12:22:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Ted" <OnThe@Upbtinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D 974qm$rgc$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>
> "Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1119294369.087337.292510@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> whatcha mean it aint that good what you recommend??
>>
>
> I don't recall saying it aint good...........I have just purchased the
> AMD3400 only to find it equates to a 2400............unfortunately I did
> not carry out a full review of the product before purchase. This said it's
> a fast processor or certainly better than my previous AMD 1200.
>

It doesn't equate to a 2400, it runs at 2400Mhz. That's not the same thing.
Your chip is a hell of a lot faster than a 2400Mhz Pentium.

--
Derek
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2005 1:01:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1119296605.174183.284350@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> what processor you guys recommend for gaming amd xp or 64

Athlon 64.

> ps. the amd xp is the 64bit or is the amd 64 bit?
>

Athlon 64 is 64 and 32bit. Athlon XP is 32bit only.

--
Derek
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2005 1:05:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1119296741.452709.143460@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> im new i dont know nothing as matter of fact im reading a building a pc
> for dummies book as we speak lol i know lil bit bout pcs but i never
> built one i have no idea what a good brand of mb's there is i have no
> idea what pata raid is .... maybe you guys can recommend a book for me
> to read to understand this stuff more?
>

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/078973173...

Can you use punctuation and capital letters please?

--
Derek
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2005 1:08:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
news:u_OdnbwdJIPkvCrfRVnygA@eclipse.net.uk...
> "Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1119296741.452709.143460@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> im new i dont know nothing as matter of fact im reading a building a pc
>> for dummies book as we speak lol i know lil bit bout pcs but i never
>> built one i have no idea what a good brand of mb's there is i have no
>> idea what pata raid is .... maybe you guys can recommend a book for me
>> to read to understand this stuff more?
>>
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/078973173...

You can find out a lot here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

> Can you use punctuation and capital letters please?
>


--
Derek
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2005 1:10:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1119298010.760794.7150@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> so athlon 64 is both 64 and 32 bit and xp is only 32bit? which i would
> think 64 bit is better for gaming?
>

Yes, though there aren't many 64 bit games at the moment. The Athlon 64 is
faster for 32 bit games due to improvements over the XP, most notably the
integrated memory controller.

--
Derek
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2005 1:18:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I thought the same thing, but there is a 2.2Ghz 3500+ that is a 512k
clawhammer core.
My guess is they just disable half of the L2 cache.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...


"Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
news:Qf6dnSjRc8nDiyrfRVnyvA@eclipse.net.uk...
> "Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1119292937.901077.244770@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>i was looking into a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer/Hammer Integrated
>> into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor
>
> The 512KB models aren't Clawhammers.
>
>>and im gonna get a atx case with atx mother board will this processor run
>>on that?
>
> As long as it's a socket 939 motherboard, yes.
>
>> im new to building pcs? dont even know if this question makes sence?
>>
>
> --
> Derek
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2005 1:19:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1119298501.309106.55180@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> how bout amd 64 fx? that the one to go with?
>

If you can afford it, yes.

--
Derek
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2005 1:19:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1119298539.264510.59480@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> how bout amd 64 fx? that the one to go with?
>

You're repeating yourself :) 

--
Derek
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2005 1:20:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1119298582.693687.3590@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> whats a good manufacturer? of motherboard?
>

Abit, Asus, MSI . . .

--
Derek
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2005 1:21:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

The 3500+ runs at a clockspeed of 2.2Ghz, but clock speed is not what
determines a processors performance. The 3500+ outperforms a Pentium 4 that
runs at much higher clock speeds in most benchmarks and applications. The
4000+ at 2.4Ghz is faster than a 3.8Ghz P4 in almost every category.

"Ted" <OnThe@Upbtinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D 973tg$on2$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>
> "Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1119292937.901077.244770@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>i was looking into a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer/Hammer Integrated
>> into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor and im gonna get a
>> atx case with atx mother board will this processor run on that?
>>
>> im new to building pcs? dont even know if this question makes sence?
>>
>
> check out that 3500...........sometimes they are not what they
> appear.........the 3500 may in fact only be equiv to 2600MHz.
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2005 2:08:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1119299197.791412.37860@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Specification
> Mfr Part Number: NF4ST-A9
> CPU: Socket 939 For Athlon 64/ 64 FX/ Sempron Processors
> Chipset: NVidia nForce4 (FSB 1000) li>
> Memory: 4*184-pin DDR(400/333/266) DIMMs Up To 4 GB (Dual Channel)
> IDE: 2*ATA 133/100, 4* Serial ATA; ATA & SATA RAID 0,1,0+1
> Slots: 1*PCI-Express 16x, 2* PCI-Express, 3*PCI, 1*XGP (Xtreme Graphics
> Port)
> Audio: 8 Channel Realtek ALC850 AC97
> LAN: NVIDIA Gigabit Ethernet
> I/O: 10*USB2.0 (6 Front 4rear), 1* Parallel, 1* Serial, 1*RJ-45 Lan,
> 1*Floppy, 1*SPDIF In/out
> Form Factor: ATX
>
>
> hows that?
>

Specs seem fine.

--
Derek
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2005 7:35:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

In article <1119298010.760794.7150@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Chris
says...
> so athlon 64 is both 64 and 32 bit and xp is only 32bit? which i would
> think 64 bit is better for gaming?
>
Chris,

Ignore the bad advice of the other two clowns, Ted and Dave, they've
not got a clue.

What you want is a Socket 939 board based on the nForce 4 chipset. The
Abit AN8 SLi is a good board.

Next you want an Athlon64. Contrary to pillocks advice, all Athlon 64s
, Athlon FX and Athlon64 X2 are 64 bit, it is the Semprons that are 32
bit.

As to the speed, depends on what you can afford to be honest. AMD use a
PR number for the speed rather than the clockspeed. Although AMD deny
it, there was supposed to be a correlation between the AMD PR number
and the equivalent speed a P4 would need to run at. So, an Athlon64
3500+ would actually only be running at 2.4GHz but have a performance
equal or better than an equivalent Intel running at 3.5GHz.


--
Conor

-You wanted an argument? Oh I'm sorry, but this is abuse. You want room
K5, just along the corridor. Stupid git. (Monty Python)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 22, 2005 4:06:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Chris" <corleoneme1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1119296741.452709.143460@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> im new i dont know nothing as matter of fact im reading a building a pc
> for dummies book as we speak lol i know lil bit bout pcs but i never
> built one i have no idea what a good brand of mb's there is i have no
> idea what pata raid is .... maybe you guys can recommend a book for me
> to read to understand this stuff more?
>

gigabyte is probably thr best brand motherboard manufacturer at the minute.

if you get stuck with something you could try going to

http://www.webopedia.com

and just typing in "ATA" without the quotes in the key words

in a seperate search you might want to try searching for "RAID" without the
quotes, this website should provide you with enough knowledge of what each
part is.

also try googling for "Build a PC"

HTH

Christo
!