Ipconfig.exe

On a Compaq Presario laptop with a Wireless network card running Windows XP
Service Pack 2:

The broadband connection refreshes every 25 seconds effectively
disconnecting the user. I have isolated the problem to ipconfig.exe that
shows up in the processes window of the Task Manager at exactly the same
time, then disappears. When I highlight and try to end the process through
task manager I'm unable to do it. First I get a awarning and then and
"Access denied" message.
There is internet security running on the machine (Norton) and I've run the
usual scans with Spybot and Ad-Aware etc., plus posted a Hijackthis log that
has also been found clean. I don't know what's running this application in
the background but if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

Thank you
Carrie
2 answers Last reply
More about ipconfig

    ipconfig is a normal command line tool used to release/renew dynamic ip
    addresses. why it would be running automatically is strange though. check
    your scheduled tasks, maybe something strange got in there. also look for
    any tools that may be related to your isp's setup or wireless card that may
    be trying to get a new ip address.

    "carrieant" <carrieant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > On a Compaq Presario laptop with a Wireless network card running Windows
    > XP
    > Service Pack 2:
    >
    > The broadband connection refreshes every 25 seconds effectively
    > disconnecting the user. I have isolated the problem to ipconfig.exe that
    > shows up in the processes window of the Task Manager at exactly the same
    > time, then disappears. When I highlight and try to end the process
    > through
    > task manager I'm unable to do it. First I get a awarning and then and
    > "Access denied" message.
    > There is internet security running on the machine (Norton) and I've run
    > the
    > usual scans with Spybot and Ad-Aware etc., plus posted a Hijackthis log
    > that
    > has also been found clean. I don't know what's running this application
    > in
    > the background but if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Carrie

    How are you connected to the internet? If a router is used, check for any
    lease times or renewal times.

    Are any lights blinking on your modem that might suggest it is loosing link
    with the DSL? Any wireless phones being used?

    Try disconnecting from the DSL and see if the DHCP will maintain your
    address without renewing.

    Do an internet search looking for your modem/router and Verizon DSL. Check
    the Verizon site.

    Clark

    "carrieant" <carrieant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > On a Compaq Presario laptop with a Wireless network card running Windows
    > XP
    > Service Pack 2:
    >
    > The broadband connection refreshes every 25 seconds effectively
    > disconnecting the user. I have isolated the problem to ipconfig.exe that
    > shows up in the processes window of the Task Manager at exactly the same
    > time, then disappears. When I highlight and try to end the process
    > through
    > task manager I'm unable to do it. First I get a awarning and then and
    > "Access denied" message.
    > There is internet security running on the machine (Norton) and I've run
    > the
    > usual scans with Spybot and Ad-Aware etc., plus posted a Hijackthis log
    > that
    > has also been found clean. I don't know what's running this application
    > in
    > the background but if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Carrie

Wireless Networking