no hard drive showing

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

OK, this is EXTREMELY bizarre. I tried to install both Win98SE and
WinXP and they both said I did not have a hard drive.

I tried the jumper in every position and everything was the same. So,
I unplugged and re-plugged my HD. This time Win98SE got to the point
of asking me if I wanted to "enable large disk support". I
highlighted it and hit enter. It told me it was going to reboot and
told me to make sure the installation CD was in the drive. I did that
but now I only get a message that says I need to press any key to
reboot. I get that "press any key to reboot" over and over again.
I cannot get back to the point where the computer reads the
installation CD.

For whatever reason, at one point, I started hitting the esc button
several times and actually saw a little menu asking me what the boot
device order should be. Well, the hard drive was listed there and it
was the first one on the list I think.

What am I supposed to do now? I really want to know how to set up my
computer. BTW, some kind of temperature is showing up on my LCD
screen for my Enermax case but I don’t know what the temperature is
for. It said over 80 F.

Anyway, I have a Duron 1.8 GHz, Asus A7V600-X motherboard and a
Western Digital 60 GB ATA-100 HD. I have HD on an IDE cable on master
IDE connector and the NEC DVD ND3520 on the secondary IDE connector.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-hard-drive-showing-ftopict57831.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=291813

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

do you have your cd as first boot drive? If not, make your cd/dvd drive
first boot -- hdd, second -- and floppy, third.

DRG

forumposter32 wrote:
> OK, this is EXTREMELY bizarre. I tried to install both Win98SE and
> WinXP and they both said I did not have a hard drive.
>
> I tried the jumper in every position and everything was the same. So,
> I unplugged and re-plugged my HD. This time Win98SE got to the point
> of asking me if I wanted to "enable large disk support". I
> highlighted it and hit enter. It told me it was going to reboot and
> told me to make sure the installation CD was in the drive. I did that
> but now I only get a message that says I need to press any key to
> reboot. I get that "press any key to reboot" over and over again.
> I cannot get back to the point where the computer reads the
> installation CD.
>
> For whatever reason, at one point, I started hitting the esc button
> several times and actually saw a little menu asking me what the boot
> device order should be. Well, the hard drive was listed there and it
> was the first one on the list I think.

If the hard drive is first then it will try to boot from the hard drive but
you don't have an O.S. on the hard drive so it can't boot.

Go into BIOS setup and change the boot order so the CD is first.

> What am I supposed to do now? I really want to know how to set up my
> computer. BTW, some kind of temperature is showing up on my LCD
> screen for my Enermax case but I don’t know what the temperature is
> for. It said over 80 F.
>
> Anyway, I have a Duron 1.8 GHz, Asus A7V600-X motherboard and a
> Western Digital 60 GB ATA-100 HD. I have HD on an IDE cable on master
> IDE connector and the NEC DVD ND3520 on the secondary IDE connector.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On 22 Jun 2005 12:35:50 -0400 As Andoids Dreamed Of Electric Sheep and
then forumposter32 <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote :

>OK, this is EXTREMELY bizarre. I tried to install both Win98SE and
>WinXP and they both said I did not have a hard drive.
>
>I tried the jumper in every position and everything was the same. So,
>I unplugged and re-plugged my HD. This time Win98SE got to the point
>of asking me if I wanted to "enable large disk support". I
>highlighted it and hit enter. It told me it was going to reboot and
>told me to make sure the installation CD was in the drive. I did that
>but now I only get a message that says I need to press any key to
>reboot. I get that "press any key to reboot" over and over again.
>I cannot get back to the point where the computer reads the
>installation CD.
>
>For whatever reason, at one point, I started hitting the esc button
>several times and actually saw a little menu asking me what the boot
>device order should be. Well, the hard drive was listed there and it
>was the first one on the list I think.
>
>What am I supposed to do now? I really want to know how to set up my
>computer. BTW, some kind of temperature is showing up on my LCD
>screen for my Enermax case but I don’t know what the temperature is
>for. It said over 80 F.
>
>Anyway, I have a Duron 1.8 GHz, Asus A7V600-X motherboard and a
>Western Digital 60 GB ATA-100 HD. I have HD on an IDE cable on master
>IDE connector and the NEC DVD ND3520 on the secondary IDE connector.

Before the O/S can use a drive the mother board/BIOS Must see
them.When you boot the system you can pause the loading pages by using
the Keyboard,"Pause/Break" key.If the devices are not registered there
then that problem has to be addressed before you can load or use an
O/S and therefore it's a hardware/jumper/cable hardware failure
problem.
Read here,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/hard.html
for starters

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,

peter

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <11bk5npi9knesdf@corp.supernews.com>, nospam@private.net
says...
> forumposter32 wrote:
> > OK, this is EXTREMELY bizarre. I tried to install both Win98SE and
> > WinXP and they both said I did not have a hard drive.
> >
> > I tried the jumper in every position and everything was the same. So,
> > I unplugged and re-plugged my HD. This time Win98SE got to the point
> > of asking me if I wanted to "enable large disk support". I
> > highlighted it and hit enter. It told me it was going to reboot and
> > told me to make sure the installation CD was in the drive. I did that
> > but now I only get a message that says I need to press any key to
> > reboot. I get that "press any key to reboot" over and over again.
> > I cannot get back to the point where the computer reads the
> > installation CD.
> >
> > For whatever reason, at one point, I started hitting the esc button
> > several times and actually saw a little menu asking me what the boot
> > device order should be. Well, the hard drive was listed there and it
> > was the first one on the list I think.
>
> If the hard drive is first then it will try to boot from the hard drive but
> you don't have an O.S. on the hard drive so it can't boot.
>
> Go into BIOS setup and change the boot order so the CD is first.

Also, it sounds like you haven't partitioned the drive yet and win98se
ain't gonna like a non-partitioned HD. An XP install cd should work
fine though, and should ask how you would like the HD set up before
installing the O/S.

--
Pete Ives

Peter wrote:

> In article <11bk5npi9knesdf@corp.supernews.com>, nospam@private.net
> says...
>
>>forumposter32 wrote:
>>
>>>OK, this is EXTREMELY bizarre. I tried to install both Win98SE and
>>>WinXP and they both said I did not have a hard drive.
>>>
>>>I tried the jumper in every position and everything was the same. So,
>>>I unplugged and re-plugged my HD. This time Win98SE got to the point
>>>of asking me if I wanted to "enable large disk support". I
>>>highlighted it and hit enter. It told me it was going to reboot and
>>>told me to make sure the installation CD was in the drive. I did that
>>>but now I only get a message that says I need to press any key to
>>>reboot. I get that "press any key to reboot" over and over again.
>>>I cannot get back to the point where the computer reads the
>>>installation CD.
>>>
>>>For whatever reason, at one point, I started hitting the esc button
>>>several times and actually saw a little menu asking me what the boot
>>>device order should be. Well, the hard drive was listed there and it
>>>was the first one on the list I think.
>>
>>If the hard drive is first then it will try to boot from the hard drive but
>>you don't have an O.S. on the hard drive so it can't boot.
>>
>>Go into BIOS setup and change the boot order so the CD is first.
>>

> Also, it sounds like you haven't partitioned the drive yet and win98se
> ain't gonna like a non-partitioned HD. An XP install cd should work
> fine though, and should ask how you would like the HD set up before
> installing the O/S.

Win98se will partition it too if it finds a non partitioned drive and then
reboot, just like his did, after the partition is made. That's also why he
was asked "enable large disk support?"

"David Maynard" wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>
> > In article <11bk5npi9knesdf@corp.supernews.com>, nospam@private.net
> > says...
> >
>  >>forumposter32 wrote:
>  >>
>   >>>OK, this is EXTREMELY bizarre. I tried to
> install both Win98SE and
>   >>>WinXP and they both said I did not have a hard
> drive.
>   >>>
>   >>>I tried the jumper in every position and
> everything was the same. So,
>   >>>I unplugged and re-plugged my HD. This time
> Win98SE got to the point
>   >>>of asking me if I wanted to "enable large disk
> support". I
>   >>>highlighted it and hit enter. It told me it
> was going to reboot and
>   >>>told me to make sure the installation CD was in
> the drive. I did that
>   >>>but now I only get a message that says I need
> to press any key to
>   >>>reboot. I get that "press any key to reboot"
> over and over again.
>   >>>I cannot get back to the point where the
> computer reads the
>   >>>installation CD.
>   >>>
>   >>>For whatever reason, at one point, I started
> hitting the esc button
>   >>>several times and actually saw a little menu
> asking me what the boot
>   >>>device order should be. Well, the hard drive
> was listed there and it
>   >>>was the first one on the list I think.
>  >>
>  >>If the hard drive is first then it will try to boot
> from the hard drive but
>  >>you don't have an O.S. on the hard drive so it can't
> boot.
>  >>
>  >>Go into BIOS setup and change the boot order so the CD
> is first.
>  >>
> >

> > Also, it sounds like you haven't partitioned the drive yet
> and win98se
> > ain't gonna like a non-partitioned HD. An XP install cd
> should work
> > fine though, and should ask how you would like the HD set up
> before
> > installing the O/S.
> >

> Win98se will partition it too if it finds a non partitioned
> drive and then
> reboot, just like his did, after the partition is made. That's
> also why he
> was asked "enable large disk support?"

My computer is up and running. I changed the boot order and pushed in
the power connector even further. I also removed the Speeze HD cooler
from the Western Digital Caviar hard drive. I don’t know if the last
thing helped but it’s now working.
Sheesh, I didn’t know you had to delete the MSN red icon on your
desktop in order to connect to the Internet in Win98SE.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-hard-drive-showing-ftopict57831.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=292455

forumposter32 wrote:
> "David Maynard" wrote:
> > Peter wrote:
> >
> > > In article <11bk5npi9knesdf@corp.supernews.com>, nospam@private.net
> > > says...
> > >
> >  >>forumposter32 wrote:
> >  >>
> >   >>>OK, this is EXTREMELY bizarre. I tried to
> > install both Win98SE and
> >   >>>WinXP and they both said I did not have a hard
> > drive.
> >   >>>
> >   >>>I tried the jumper in every position and
> > everything was the same. So,
> >   >>>I unplugged and re-plugged my HD. This time
> > Win98SE got to the point
> >   >>>of asking me if I wanted to "enable large disk
> > support". I
> >   >>>highlighted it and hit enter. It told me it
> > was going to reboot and
> >   >>>told me to make sure the installation CD was in
> > the drive. I did that
> >   >>>but now I only get a message that says I need
> > to press any key to
> >   >>>reboot. I get that "press any key to reboot"
> > over and over again.
> >   >>>I cannot get back to the point where the
> > computer reads the
> >   >>>installation CD.
> >   >>>
> >   >>>For whatever reason, at one point, I started
> > hitting the esc button
> >   >>>several times and actually saw a little menu
> > asking me what the boot
> >   >>>device order should be. Well, the hard drive
> > was listed there and it
> >   >>>was the first one on the list I think.
> >  >>
> >  >>If the hard drive is first then it will try to boot
> > from the hard drive but
> >  >>you don't have an O.S. on the hard drive so it can't
> > boot.
> >  >>
> >  >>Go into BIOS setup and change the boot order so the CD
> > is first.
> >  >>
> > >

> > > Also, it sounds like you haven't partitioned the drive yet
> > and win98se
> > > ain't gonna like a non-partitioned HD. An XP install cd
> > should work
> > > fine though, and should ask how you would like the HD set up
> > before
> > > installing the O/S.
> > >

> > Win98se will partition it too if it finds a non partitioned
> > drive and then
> > reboot, just like his did, after the partition is made. That's
> > also why he
> > was asked "enable large disk support?"
>
> My computer is up and running. I changed the boot order and pushed in
> the power connector even further. I also removed the Speeze HD cooler
> from the Western Digital Caviar hard drive. I don’t know if the last
> thing helped but it’s now working.
> Sheesh, I didn’t know you had to delete the MSN red icon on your
> desktop in order to connect to the Internet in Win98SE.

Glad to hear you got it working.