Strange problem on bootup

When I first put my system together it worked fine but it has suddenly
started to hang at the PCI Device Listing screen. The system will boot
up normally but it will sit at this screen for about 3 minutes before it
will actually boot into Windows XP.

I don't think I've changed any settings in windows or in the BIOS and
the system operates perfectly once Windows is loaded.

Any advice?

Asus A8N-SLI
2x6800 GT
2GB DDR RAM
Athlon 64 4000+

Two hard drives on SATA

Western Digital 200GB
Western Digital 250GB

--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

In article <MPG.1d2480a235fe22a7989b78@nntp.dsl.pipex.com>, Stoneskin
says...
> When I first put my system together it worked fine but it has suddenly
> started to hang at the PCI Device Listing screen. The system will boot
> up normally but it will sit at this screen for about 3 minutes before it
> will actually boot into Windows XP.
>
> I don't think I've changed any settings in windows or in the BIOS and
> the system operates perfectly once Windows is loaded.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Asus A8N-SLI
> 2x6800 GT
> 2GB DDR RAM
> Athlon 64 4000+
>
> Two hard drives on SATA
>
> Western Digital 200GB
> Western Digital 250GB

Usually that's caused by the computer trying to find the MBR of the
HDD.

--
Conor

Conor left a note on my windscreen which said:

> Usually that's caused by the computer trying to find the MBR of the
> HDD.

But it does find it eventually - which seems odd. I can imagine if the
MBR is corrupted somehow it would fail to boot completely.

What can I do, besides a full reformat to sort it out?
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

Stoneskin left a note on my windscreen which said:

> Conor left a note on my windscreen which said:
>
> > Usually that's caused by the computer trying to find the MBR of the
> > HDD.
>
> But it does find it eventually - which seems odd. I can imagine if the
> MBR is corrupted somehow it would fail to boot completely.
>
> What can I do, besides a full reformat to sort it out?

I feel like such a noob! Solved the problem by.. wait for it..

taking the cd out of my dvd drive.

Obviously the PC was looking to boot from the cd I had in the drive and
took a while to figure out it couldn't.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]