computer reboots under heavy load

While running quickpar, or Norton AV, computer reboots. CPU Temp is about 61
Deg. Celcius.
P4 2.8 overclocked to 3.15. Been running fine for a couple of years, then I
installed XP SP2

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dan C
7 answers Last reply
More about computer reboots heavy load

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 22:02:08 -0400, "Dan C"
    <dantc721@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >While running quickpar, or Norton AV, computer reboots. CPU Temp is about 61
    >Deg. Celcius.
    >P4 2.8 overclocked to 3.15. Been running fine for a couple of years, then I
    >installed XP SP2
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated.
    >Thanks
    >Dan C

    You're kidding, right?

    You run an overclocked box then wonder about stabilty.
    Hint- put it back and stock speed, it should've been the
    first thing tried. Just because a system starts out ok
    overclocked, that doesn't mean it'll stay ok after some dust
    accumulation, ambient temp changes, degradation of the power
    or capacitors.

    Then there are more subtle problems. For example, supposet
    errs only once every 20 days due to overclocking. Suppose
    that eventually, that ~ 20 day interval error occurs while
    doing something important with the OS files- like applying a
    service pack, or writing to the registry, or defragging the
    HDD... perhaps your system was 100% stable, but very-low
    error rates are harder to detect and we don't have the box
    to know one way or the other.

    Overclocking can be ok, and stable enough, but it can also
    wear out parts far faster.

    It'd also be good to start out with a concise but complete
    detailing of all major parts in the system, including power
    supply make/model. Since you just installed SP2, try making
    a temporary OS installation elsewhere and see if problem
    persists without SP2... all this while running at stock
    speed, THEN try ramping the clock up again to see if it
    makes a difference.

    Other common things to try-
    Run memtest86 for a few hours.
    Run Prime95's Torture Test for a few hours.
    Take voltage readings with a multimeter.
    Inspect the case interior- cables, cards, fans, wires, etc.

    Disable the operating system's reboot-on-error setting.
    Google will find details on doing it. Then note if any
    error logs, Event Viewer, or bluescreen messages reveal
    anything useful.

    Thanks for all the responses.
    I will put it at stock speed and see what that does.

    Dan C.

    In article <ILSdnUPO_tgHkSPfRVn-pg@comcast.com>, Dan C says...
    > While running quickpar, or Norton AV, computer reboots. CPU Temp is about 61
    > Deg. Celcius.
    > P4 2.8 overclocked to 3.15. Been running fine for a couple of years, then I
    > installed XP SP2

    Its quite possible that the CPU core is degrading. 2 years seems to be
    about the point where it starts showing signs if its going wrong.

    --
    Conor

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:24:01 +0100, Conor
    <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote:

    >In article <ILSdnUPO_tgHkSPfRVn-pg@comcast.com>, Dan C says...
    >> While running quickpar, or Norton AV, computer reboots. CPU Temp is about 61
    >> Deg. Celcius.
    >> P4 2.8 overclocked to 3.15. Been running fine for a couple of years, then I
    >> installed XP SP2
    >>
    >Its quite possible that the CPU core is degrading. 2 years seems to be
    >about the point where it starts showing signs if its going wrong.

    Oh?

    I would tend to disagree 100%.
    It's practically impossible, in fact this is within margin
    of error for highest-speeds of same core. Since Intel
    themselves spec that speed for the core design, the question
    is NOT one of "core is degrading", only whether it's stable
    at that speed which tends to remain constant over the
    (reasonable) life of the CPU- more than a few years.

    In article <mf5ub1p4jqnd6ceph2leg9q14n025qpagh@4ax.com>, kony says...
    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:24:01 +0100, Conor
    > <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <ILSdnUPO_tgHkSPfRVn-pg@comcast.com>, Dan C says...
    > >> While running quickpar, or Norton AV, computer reboots. CPU Temp is about 61
    > >> Deg. Celcius.
    > >> P4 2.8 overclocked to 3.15. Been running fine for a couple of years, then I
    > >> installed XP SP2
    > >>
    > >Its quite possible that the CPU core is degrading. 2 years seems to be
    > >about the point where it starts showing signs if its going wrong.
    >
    > Oh?
    >
    > I would tend to disagree 100%.

    Disagree all you want. Can't argue against proven fact.

    > It's practically impossible, in fact this is within margin
    > of error for highest-speeds of same core.

    And why was this particular CPU shipped as a 2.8GHz? Clue: Didn't meet
    the standard for 3.2

    > Since Intel
    > themselves spec that speed for the core design, the question
    > is NOT one of "core is degrading", only whether it's stable
    > at that speed which tends to remain constant over the
    > (reasonable) life of the CPU- more than a few years.

    Do you even know how CPU cores are graded?

    --
    Conor

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 01:47:50 +0100, Conor
    <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote:

    >In article <mf5ub1p4jqnd6ceph2leg9q14n025qpagh@4ax.com>, kony says...
    >> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:24:01 +0100, Conor
    >> <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <ILSdnUPO_tgHkSPfRVn-pg@comcast.com>, Dan C says...
    >> >>
    >> >Its quite possible that the CPU core is degrading. 2 years seems to be
    >> >about the point where it starts showing signs if its going wrong.
    >>
    >> Oh?
    >>
    >> I would tend to disagree 100%.
    >
    >Disagree all you want. Can't argue against proven fact.

    Right- It's FACT that Intel specs the same cores for higher
    speeds.

    >> It's practically impossible, in fact this is within margin
    >> of error for highest-speeds of same core.
    >
    >And why was this particular CPU shipped as a 2.8GHz? Clue: Didn't meet
    >the standard for 3.2

    Clue- Once a give process is mature, the vast majority of
    the chips are downgraded to fill orders for lesser speeds.
    It has been this way for years and still is.

    Even if it weren't, when a given CPU core design is intended
    to ramp up to (any particular) ceiling speed, you will not
    be encountering damage, only instability.

    >> Since Intel
    >> themselves spec that speed for the core design, the question
    >> is NOT one of "core is degrading", only whether it's stable
    >> at that speed which tends to remain constant over the
    >> (reasonable) life of the CPU- more than a few years.
    >>
    >Do you even know how CPU cores are graded?

    Yes, but you don't.

    In article <ILSdnUPO_tgHkSPfRVn-pg@comcast.com>, dantc721@hotmail.com
    says...
    > While running quickpar, or Norton AV, computer reboots. CPU Temp is about 61
    > Deg. Celcius.
    > P4 2.8 overclocked to 3.15. Been running fine for a couple of years, then I
    > installed XP SP2
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > Thanks
    > Dan C

    I had something similar. I'm running a 2.4 MHZ (nominal) Intel P4 at
    2.8 MHz with Win2K. The system would periodically reboot when it was
    under heavy load, particularly HD I/O. I changed clocking back to 2.4
    with no effect. I installed additional RAM and have not seen problem
    again - about 2 months. I suspect a Microsoft "feature" was manifesting
    itself, although I can't verify that.

    Glen

Homebuilt Hardware Computer Systems