Intel 9x5 southbridge

Hi,

Anyone knows whether Intel 9x5 (915, 925) chipset southbridge (ICH6) have
issues with USB, namely, static electricity. This was the case with 865
chipset ICH5, which is known to cause dead mobo (Asus is the most
vulnerable). I'm in dire need with a mobo/chipset which can handle heavy
duty USB hot (un)plugging. Have Intel fixed this problem yet in ICH6?

TIA

In article <Xns9682E64F6FA99rickyralexandriacc@66.250.146.159>, Ricky
Romaya says...
> Hi,
>
> Anyone knows whether Intel 9x5 (915, 925) chipset southbridge (ICH6) have
> issues with USB, namely, static electricity. This was the case with 865
> chipset ICH5, which is known to cause dead mobo (Asus is the most
> vulnerable). I'm in dire need with a mobo/chipset which can handle heavy
> duty USB hot (un)plugging. Have Intel fixed this problem yet in ICH6?

Use a powered USB hub.

--
Conor

"Ricky Romaya" <something@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Anyone knows whether Intel 9x5 (915, 925) chipset southbridge (ICH6) have
> issues with USB, namely, static electricity. This was the case with 865
> chipset ICH5, which is known to cause dead mobo (Asus is the most
> vulnerable). I'm in dire need with a mobo/chipset which can handle heavy
> duty USB hot (un)plugging. Have Intel fixed this problem yet in ICH6?
>
> TIA

The very first renditions still used the ICH5, if my memory serves me
correctly, with about all now using the ICH6. I have only built 3 I-6xx
systems, all of them on the 915, Asus P5GDC boards without problems. I have
one myself and two customers who have used them for about two months without
any issues. A high static environment is bad for a lot more than just USB
for any system. I regularly hot-swap USB devices such as game controllers,
cameras and external USB2 HDDs without problems but have always taken
precautions against high static. I built many systems that had the ICH5
previously without issues either. I wasn't aware of any issues with that
controller until some recent posts said there were some.

Ed

Ed

TRENDING THREADS