dual video card question

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

i bought this asus p5dw2-premium (motherboard)
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket775/p5wd2-p/overview.htm
and it says it has a universal pci express slot, u can use dual pci
express video cards, well i ordered 2 radeon 850 xt pe’s just curious
on how that works?

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-dual-video-card-ftopict58110.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=293625

"explictor" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
>i bought this asus p5dw2-premium (motherboard)
> http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket775/p5wd2-p/overview.htm
> and it says it has a universal pci express slot, u can use dual pci
> express video cards, well i ordered 2 radeon 850 xt pe's just curious
> on how that works?

I didn't know that the X850 XT supported SLI. The way it works is that the
two cards are plugged together to use both GPUs instead of just one. Not
only does your MB have to support SLI, but your video cards must too.

Ed

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Only Nvidia supports 2 PCI-e video cards. Ati has some kind of kludge but
it's complicated and very specific on which cards you can use.

"Ed Medlin" <ed@edmedlin.com> wrote in message

> "explictor" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> >i bought this asus p5dw2-premium (motherboard)
> > http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket775/p5wd2-p/overview.htm
> > and it says it has a universal pci express slot, u can use dual pci
> > express video cards, well i ordered 2 radeon 850 xt pe's just curious
> > on how that works?
>
> I didn't know that the X850 XT supported SLI. The way it works is that the
> two cards are plugged together to use both GPUs instead of just one. Not
> only does your MB have to support SLI, but your video cards must too.
>
> Ed

Yeah, that's an NVIDIA feature only and there's a special SLI 'bridge'
that physically connects the two cards together while they're plugged
in.

ATI had plans to create an SLI card, but I don't think they've done it
yet.

I almost made the same mistake when I bought my SLI board. Trade those
video cards in and get the NVIDIA 6600GT SLI. Good card at a good price
- and SLI.

Regards.

--
legacy_programmer