Does such a motherboard exist?

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 30, 2005 3:02:12 PM

Hi

I am after a mythical motherboard which meets the following specs - can
anyone recommend a motherboard:-

amd 64bit (preferably support the new dual core AMD 64bit processor)
Supports DDR2100 (so I dont have to buy new memory for now)
PCI express graphics card slot
Passive cooling on the the chipset so I dont get deafened by the tiny
buzzsaw cooling fan
Gigabit lan port

I am planning on buying a quiet psu, and a pci express Giga-byte 6600
card with a passive cooler.

I have found motherboards which meet some of the above criteria but not
one that matches them all?

Thanks for any help

T.

More about : motherboard exist

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2005 3:13:41 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:02:12 +0100, none <""richardm\"@(none)"> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I am after a mythical motherboard which meets the following specs - can
>anyone recommend a motherboard:-
>
>amd 64bit (preferably support the new dual core AMD 64bit processor)
>Supports DDR2100 (so I dont have to buy new memory for now)
>PCI express graphics card slot
>Passive cooling on the the chipset so I dont get deafened by the tiny
>buzzsaw cooling fan
>Gigabit lan port
>
>I am planning on buying a quiet psu, and a pci express Giga-byte 6600
>card with a passive cooler.
>
>I have found motherboards which meet some of the above criteria but not
>one that matches them all?
>
>Thanks for any help
>
>T.

The ram's too slow for that processor architecture (FSB is 200MHz -
PC3200). Passive cooling went out the window after the Pentium3.

MT
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2005 3:23:23 PM

In article <1120125732.84757.3@doris.uk.clara.net>, says...
> Hi
>
> I am after a mythical motherboard which meets the following specs - can
> anyone recommend a motherboard:-
>
> amd 64bit (preferably support the new dual core AMD 64bit processor)
> Supports DDR2100 (so I dont have to buy new memory for now)
> PCI express graphics card slot
> Passive cooling on the the chipset so I dont get deafened by the tiny
> buzzsaw cooling fan
> Gigabit lan port
>
> I am planning on buying a quiet psu, and a pci express Giga-byte 6600
> card with a passive cooler.
>
> I have found motherboards which meet some of the above criteria but not
> one that matches them all?

RAM is cheap, the chipset fan can be changed.

--
Conor

June 30, 2005 4:39:16 PM

Conor wrote:
> In article <1120125732.84757.3@doris.uk.clara.net>, says...
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I am after a mythical motherboard which meets the following specs - can
>>anyone recommend a motherboard:-
>>
>>amd 64bit (preferably support the new dual core AMD 64bit processor)
>>Supports DDR2100 (so I dont have to buy new memory for now)
>>PCI express graphics card slot
>>Passive cooling on the the chipset so I dont get deafened by the tiny
>>buzzsaw cooling fan
>>Gigabit lan port
>>
>>I am planning on buying a quiet psu, and a pci express Giga-byte 6600
>>card with a passive cooler.
>>
>>I have found motherboards which meet some of the above criteria but not
>>one that matches them all?
>>

> RAM is cheap, the chipset fan can be changed.

That is true - but why waste money buying passive cooler to replace fan,
buying memory not much faster that I already have if such a product
exists that fits exactly to what I need.

Is it only certain chipsets that will go back as far as DDR2100? e.g.
does the nforce4 support DDR400 only?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2005 4:39:17 PM

"none" <""richardm\"@(none)"> wrote:
> Is it only certain chipsets that will go back as far as DDR2100? e.g.
> does the nforce4 support DDR400 only?

The memory is controlled by the Athlon64, not the chipset. Provided
the modules have correct SPD settings I think it should work OK
in any Athlon64 motherboard.

All the nForce4 boards seen to have actively cooled chipsets,
except the latest ASUS ones with the heatpipe that transfers
the heat over to a heatsink near the processor socket. You
need to use a CPU cooler that blows air down so that this
heatsink gets some cooling action. The funky heatpipe coolers
are probably not usable on these boards.

Otherwise pretty much every VIA chipset board uses a
passively cooled chip.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2005 9:14:47 PM

The ABIT AX8 would fit the bill. All Athlon 64 mainboards support PC2100
because the memory controller is on the CPU and will work fine with PC2100.
The board has PCIe, the passively cooled chipset and the gigabit LAN port. I
had this board before I replaced it with an AN8 nForce4 board and it worked
great. Here is ABIT's info on the board.
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?catego...

"none" <""richardm\"@(none)"> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am after a mythical motherboard which meets the following specs - can
> anyone recommend a motherboard:-
>
> amd 64bit (preferably support the new dual core AMD 64bit processor)
> Supports DDR2100 (so I dont have to buy new memory for now)
> PCI express graphics card slot
> Passive cooling on the the chipset so I dont get deafened by the tiny
> buzzsaw cooling fan
> Gigabit lan port
>
> I am planning on buying a quiet psu, and a pci express Giga-byte 6600 card
> with a passive cooler.
>
> I have found motherboards which meet some of the above criteria but not
> one that matches them all?
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> T.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2005 9:14:48 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:14:47 GMT, "Tweek"
<shawnwingetNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>All Athlon 64 mainboards support PC2100
>because the memory controller is on the CPU and will work fine with PC2100.

In the words of the late Johnny Carson, "I did not know that"...

Scratch my earlier comment about needing PC3200 memory.

Another fine example of AMD's excellence in the engineering dept.

MT
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2005 5:10:12 AM

I know, it's cool. Because the A64 does not have a front side bus in the
traditional sense, PC2100, 2700, and 3200 are all supported. I don't really
understand how it works though. On my A64 machine I have PC3200 memory, I am
overclocking it and the memory is running at 225Mhz which gives 2.475Ghz. In
this sense, it seems like the FSB is 200Mhz. If I had some PC2100 sitting
around I would install it and see what happens with all the settings in the
bios.

"Michael Thomas" <mtNOSPAMMING@armory.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:14:47 GMT, "Tweek"
> <shawnwingetNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>All Athlon 64 mainboards support PC2100
>>because the memory controller is on the CPU and will work fine with
>>PC2100.
>
> In the words of the late Johnny Carson, "I did not know that"...
>
> Scratch my earlier comment about needing PC3200 memory.
>
> Another fine example of AMD's excellence in the engineering dept.
>
> MT
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2005 5:30:03 AM

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 01:10:12 GMT, "Tweek"
<shawnwingetNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I know, it's cool. Because the A64 does not have a front side bus in the
>traditional sense, PC2100, 2700, and 3200 are all supported. I don't really
>understand how it works though.

Actually, yes the memory controller is integral, but no it
doesn't not mean PC2100 is supported.

Just as always (on-die memory controller or not), there are
two remaining requirments-

1) The specific chipset has to support the memory/FSB
ratio.

2) The board has to be able to derive the clock signal
necessary for running at PC2100 (or any, for that matter)
speed. Further, the feature has to be supported by the bios
specifically- often a bios doesn't make use of every
possible clockgen IC's potential frequencies.

>On my A64 machine I have PC3200 memory, I am
>overclocking it and the memory is running at 225Mhz which gives 2.475Ghz. In
>this sense, it seems like the FSB is 200Mhz. If I had some PC2100 sitting
>around I would install it and see what happens with all the settings in the
>bios.

Sure, but that's not evidence of being able to run at board
at significantly lower memory bus speeds, as your
configuration is actually quite common, having the memory
bus synchronous to the FSB. In the OP's situation it's the
opposite, he's wanting (presumably) to not drastically
underclock the CPU, only the memory with a negative
asynchronicity.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2005 9:26:30 PM

Ok, I decided to try a stick of PC2100 in my AN8 to see what would happen.
At default the HTT is 200mhz with a multiplier of 11 giving 2.2Ghz and the
memory is running at 133Mhz. When I overclock to 2.475Ghz, the HTT is
running at 225Mhz and the memory at 145Mhz. So basically you can use PC2100,
2700 or 3200 with no problems, but obviously performance is going to be
affected by running the lower speed memory. Also, overclocking always
involves upping the clock speed of the memory, although I think some boards
let you up the HTT without upping the memory. So basically you can use any
of these memory speeds without affecting the stock speed of the CPU. Cool.

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 01:10:12 GMT, "Tweek"
> <shawnwingetNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I know, it's cool. Because the A64 does not have a front side bus in the
>>traditional sense, PC2100, 2700, and 3200 are all supported. I don't
>>really
>>understand how it works though.
>
> Actually, yes the memory controller is integral, but no it
> doesn't not mean PC2100 is supported.
>
> Just as always (on-die memory controller or not), there are
> two remaining requirments-
>
> 1) The specific chipset has to support the memory/FSB
> ratio.
>
> 2) The board has to be able to derive the clock signal
> necessary for running at PC2100 (or any, for that matter)
> speed. Further, the feature has to be supported by the bios
> specifically- often a bios doesn't make use of every
> possible clockgen IC's potential frequencies.
>

>>On my A64 machine I have PC3200 memory, I am
>>overclocking it and the memory is running at 225Mhz which gives 2.475Ghz.
>>In
>>this sense, it seems like the FSB is 200Mhz. If I had some PC2100 sitting
>>around I would install it and see what happens with all the settings in
>>the
>>bios.
>
> Sure, but that's not evidence of being able to run at board
> at significantly lower memory bus speeds, as your
> configuration is actually quite common, having the memory
> bus synchronous to the FSB. In the OP's situation it's the
> opposite, he's wanting (presumably) to not drastically
> underclock the CPU, only the memory with a negative
> asynchronicity.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2005 1:19:00 AM

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:26:30 GMT, "Tweek"
<shawnwingetNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ok, I decided to try a stick of PC2100 in my AN8 to see what would happen.
>At default the HTT is 200mhz with a multiplier of 11 giving 2.2Ghz and the
>memory is running at 133Mhz. When I overclock to 2.475Ghz, the HTT is
>running at 225Mhz and the memory at 145Mhz. So basically you can use PC2100,
>2700 or 3200 with no problems, but obviously performance is going to be
>affected by running the lower speed memory. Also, overclocking always
>involves upping the clock speed of the memory, although I think some boards
>let you up the HTT without upping the memory. So basically you can use any
>of these memory speeds without affecting the stock speed of the CPU. Cool.

You mean, it works in an AN8.
These things are up to the motherboard manufacturer. While
it is likely "most" boards will run in that mode, having
some other board do it is not necessarily evidence about a
different board.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2005 3:37:18 AM

"" wrote:
> "none" <""richardm"@(none)"> wrote:
> > Is it only certain chipsets that will go back as far as
> DDR2100? e.g.
> > does the nforce4 support DDR400 only?
>
> The memory is controlled by the Athlon64, not the chipset.
> Provided
> the modules have correct SPD settings I think it should work
> OK
> in any Athlon64 motherboard.
>
> All the nForce4 boards seen to have actively cooled chipsets,
> except the latest ASUS ones with the heatpipe that transfers
> the heat over to a heatsink near the processor socket. You
> need to use a CPU cooler that blows air down so that this
> heatsink gets some cooling action. The funky heatpipe coolers
> are probably not usable on these boards.
>
> Otherwise pretty much every VIA chipset board uses a
> passively cooled chip.

I can tell you Enermax noisetaker power supplies are very silent.

BTW, the AMD website does have a recommended motherboard section.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-motherboard-ex...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=294276
!