Install win xp over a network

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.computers,comp.hardware (More info?)

I've got 10 problems.
I bought 10 computers recent. Comp dont have a cd/dvd-rom. I must install
win xp pro on every one.
Can i do that over a network.( got switch) or someting else.
Thanks.

Bandul wrote:
> I've got 10 problems.
> I bought 10 computers recent. Comp dont have a cd/dvd-rom. I must install
> win xp pro on every one.
> Can i do that over a network.( got switch) or someting else.
> Thanks.

why dont you just buy a cheap CDROM for $20.00 and just install it normally.

"Bandul" <ivan.curac@du.htnet.hr> wrote in message
> I've got 10 problems.
> I bought 10 computers recent. Comp dont have a cd/dvd-rom. I must install
> win xp pro on every one.
> Can i do that over a network.( got switch) or someting else.
> Thanks.

I think you'll find what you need in the Resource Kit folder on the XP CD.

ss.

"Synapse Syndrome" <paradroid2000@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Bandul" <ivan.curac@du.htnet.hr> wrote in message
>> I've got 10 problems.
>> I bought 10 computers recent. Comp dont have a cd/dvd-rom. I must install
>> win xp pro on every one.
>> Can i do that over a network.( got switch) or someting else.
>> Thanks.
>>

> I think you'll find what you need in the Resource Kit folder on the XP CD.
>
> ss.

Ok. Here are a couple of tutorials.

http://www.mcmcse.com/windows_xp/guides/additionalinstall.shtml

http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/1466511

This may be useful too.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/default.mspx

ss.

In article <da5i0p$jod$1@bagan.srce.hr>, Bandul says...
> I've got 10 problems.
> I bought 10 computers recent. Comp dont have a cd/dvd-rom. I must install
> win xp pro on every one.
> Can i do that over a network.( got switch) or someting else.
> Thanks.

Buy a USB CDROM drive.

--
Conor

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <da5i0p$jod$1@bagan.srce.hr>, Bandul says...
>> I've got 10 problems.
>> I bought 10 computers recent. Comp dont have a cd/dvd-rom. I must install
>> win xp pro on every one.
>> Can i do that over a network.( got switch) or someting else.
>> Thanks.
>>
> Buy a USB CDROM drive.

Or even an ordinary internal one and fit it in each machine for the duration
of the XP installation. It is only a 5 minute job.
--
Keith Willcocks

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.computers,comp.hardware (More info?)

You can install XP over a network but you usually need 3rd party software
like ghost , altiris deployment server(think you can try this one out for
free) or a RIS server.

Dion

"Bandul" <ivan.curac@du.htnet.hr> wrote in message
> I've got 10 problems.
> I bought 10 computers recent. Comp dont have a cd/dvd-rom. I must install
> win xp pro on every one.
> Can i do that over a network.( got switch) or someting else.
> Thanks.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.computers (More info?)

Bandul wrote:
> I've got 10 problems.
> I bought 10 computers recent. Comp dont have a cd/dvd-rom. I must install
> win xp pro on every one.
> Can i do that over a network.( got switch) or someting else.
> Thanks.

If all identical build and install on one then ghost across the network
will take only a few minutes to drag across..

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 22:38:04 +0800, Uncle-Fester <go@from.home> wrote:

> I've got 10 problems.
> I bought 10 computers recent. Comp dont have a cd/dvd-rom. I must install
> win xp pro on every one.
> Can i do that over a network.( got switch) or someting else.
> Thanks.
> If all identical build and install on one then ghost across the network
> will take only a few minutes to drag across..

Ghost is the way to go if all computers are identical
don't ya have to make 10 floppies and make sure the network drivers is all
setup properly
or is it more easier with Ghost 9

Will XP Install from the Harddrive folder..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.computers,comp.hardware (More info?)

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:05:09 -0500, David Maynard
<nospam@private.net> wrote:

>> No, the problem is XP's networking. If anything, antiquated
>> protocols have been around so long there is simply no excuse
>> for problems from the OS.
>>
>> MS does not "tell us" what to migrate away from. When they
>> give me a free PC then they can dictate what it uses, not
>> when it's listed as a "supported" feature.
>
>That sounds so terribly 'consumer noble' but the fact of the matter is
>there's no good reason to support an antiquated protocol.

Define support.

There is no good reason NOT to support it to the extent that
it works. There is no good reason not to support ANY
protocol, even one completely home-grown, to the extend that
it installs in same manner and is supported though whatever
features it, itself, supports in a standardized manner.

Perhaps it's only antiquated in your and MS's minds.
Certainly not so to anyone who uses it. That doesn't even
begin to mean someone else shouldn't use something that
suits their needs more than your own personal alternative
would.

The fact of the matter is that the main benefit of TCP/IP is
that it's routable.. Once you remove that need, you're left
with a slower protocol.

kony wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:05:09 -0500, David Maynard
> <nospam@private.net> wrote:
>

>>>No, the problem is XP's networking. If anything, antiquated
>>>protocols have been around so long there is simply no excuse
>>>for problems from the OS.
>>>
>>>MS does not "tell us" what to migrate away from. When they
>>>give me a free PC then they can dictate what it uses, not
>>>when it's listed as a "supported" feature.
>>
>>That sounds so terribly 'consumer noble' but the fact of the matter is
>>there's no good reason to support an antiquated protocol.
>>

> Define support.
>
> There is no good reason NOT to support it to the extent that
> it works. There is no good reason not to support ANY
> protocol, even one completely home-grown, to the extend that
> it installs in same manner and is supported though whatever
> features it, itself, supports in a standardized manner.

That is simply silly. 'Support', of any kind, costs time and effort and
when the return doesn't justify it then one doesn't do it.

> Perhaps it's only antiquated in your and MS's minds.

It's antiquated by comparing it's capabilities to the alternatives.

> Certainly not so to anyone who uses it.

Neither are buggy whips, to those who 'use them'. but there's little reason
to 'support' them in "horseless carriages."

> That doesn't even
> begin to mean someone else shouldn't use something that
> suits their needs more than your own personal alternative
> would.

They're free to use it. They'll just have to provide their own 'support',
or a third party who might be interested.

> The fact of the matter is that the main benefit of TCP/IP is
> that it's routable..

Ain't no 'little' thing.

Not to mention it's universally supported across virtually every platform
on the planet instead of a single O.S..

> Once you remove that need, you're left
> with a slower protocol.

Remove it and you've got an antiquated, severely limited, protocol.

ATEC

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

X.Ray wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 22:38:04 +0800, Uncle-Fester <go@from.home> wrote:
>
>> I've got 10 problems.
>> I bought 10 computers recent. Comp dont have a cd/dvd-rom. I must install
>> win xp pro on every one.
>> Can i do that over a network.( got switch) or someting else.
>> Thanks.
>> If all identical build and install on one then ghost across the network
>> will take only a few minutes to drag across..
>

> Ghost is the way to go if all computers are identical
> don't ya have to make 10 floppies and make sure the network drivers is
> all setup properly
> or is it more easier with Ghost 9
>
> Will XP Install from the Harddrive folder..
boot from floppy , make commands and copy image across , reboot . if I
can do it so can you , last time we did this was over a gig network in
an Internet cafe and averaged 10 minute installs with several running at
once .
total job took about 85 minutes for 40 machines ghosted.. good luck.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.computers,comp.hardware (More info?)

In article <42c79838$0$863$61c65585@uq-127creek-reader-
03.brisbane.pipenetworks.com.au>, Black Adder says...
> Mate, your a dead-set idiot if you think 98 and 2000 are better than XP.
> Windows XP has got more functionallity, better communications and runs
> faster than those OS's.

2000 is better than XP.

Have you ever tried networking with XP? Notice how long it takes to
list the contents of the My Netowrk PLaces folder and how long it takes
to list the contents of a share?

--
Conor

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.computers,comp.hardware (More info?)

Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2000 is better than XP.

Much better?

> Have you ever tried networking with XP?

No. My doctor advised against it.

> Notice how long it takes to list the contents of the My Netowrk PLaces
> folder and how long it takes to list the contents of a share?

No. Never noticed how long it takes to list the contents of the your netowrk
places folder before.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.computers,comp.hardware (More info?)

At least ONE of the computers has to have a CD-Rom drive to start the
installation on the network.

--
DaveW

David Maynard wrote:

> > The fact of the matter is that the main benefit of TCP/IP is
> > that it's routable..
>
> Ain't no 'little' thing.

-------------
NetBEUI (NetBIOS Extended User Interface) is a new, extended
version of NetBIOS lets computers communicate within a local
area network. NetBEUI is the best performance choice for
communication within a single LAN. It does not support the
routing of messages to other networks. It is recommended to
install both NetBEUI and TCP/IP in each computer and set the
server up to use NetBEUI for communication within the LAN and
TCP/IP for communication beyond the LAN.

http://cob.bloomu.edu/afundaburk/personal/NBEA%20-%20Let's%20Go%20Wireless%20Presentation.ppt
-----------

Look people.

Microsoft has a single over-riding agenda - to make money (like most
corporations). However, their main product (desktop OS's) aren't like
most consumer goods (ie like a car). How do you know when an OS is
"worn out" ? Well, for Microsoft (which is really (in the real world)
the only game in town when it comes to OS's) they can call the shots
to some degree by forcing the obselence of older os's by forcing
certain new technologies into the market (the migration from Win-95 to
Win-98 was coaxed by such things as USB and FAT-32).

This is really just another way to say that a good deal of the claimed
differences between different versions of Windows is marketing
bullshit designed to instill a degree of psycological bias against the
older OS. It creates a notion that the older OS is "worn out" in an
almost physical way.

The other aspect of what Microsoft does is to gear Windows first and
formost towards their best paying customer - that being large
corporations (and the gov't). They want work-station security, they
want (need) routable protocals, they want remote administration
capability, they want permission-based user hirarchies. So Windows
(2K and XP) comes "out of the box" with all sorts of services and
ports configured as active by default. Which leads to the next point:

Microsoft values reducing the need for customer support far more than
workstation security. The default settings for 2K and XP are set to
be most appropriate for a large corporation (with IT staff and
fire-wall). For the small company or home user, XP is (and was) a
disaster in terms of viral and trojan infections.

What's this got to do with NetBEUI vs TCP/IP?

It's Microsoft's "keep it simple stupid" mentality. If TCP will work
everywhere on a network (large, small, across routers, etc) then it
becomes the default protocal and bye bye NetBEUI. It will mean fewer
support calls for MS from fortune 500 companies. It doesn't mean
NetBEUI is bad or inferior (it seems it may have a performance edge on
small networks vs TCP, and it certainly has a security edge over
TCP). It just means MS made a decision motivated by making their life
simpler. I'm sure a big part of it was to force some degree of
incompatibility between exiting networks (with NT4 servers) which
would force those systems into the garbage in favor of XP-pro.

It's funny how jaded we all pretty much are towards Microsoft the
corporate pirahna fish that they are, how they use strong-arm tactics
to kill competition, yet we let their mantra of OS obselescence sink
into our heads exactly according to their plan.

> Remove it and you've got an antiquated, severely limited,
> protocol.

As if TCP/IP isin't "antiquated".

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.computers,comp.hardware (More info?)

In article <4c57a2a9215249fdb321639218a85e98@pd7tw1no>, Fred is back
says...

> No. Never noticed how long it takes to list the contents of the your netowrk
> places folder before.

Nob.

--
Conor

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.computers,comp.hardware (More info?)

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 01:41:18 -0500, David Maynard
<nospam@private.net> wrote:

>> There is no good reason NOT to support it to the extent that
>> it works. There is no good reason not to support ANY
>> protocol, even one completely home-grown, to the extend that
>> it installs in same manner and is supported though whatever
>> features it, itself, supports in a standardized manner.
>
>That is simply silly. 'Support', of any kind, costs time and effort and
>when the return doesn't justify it then one doesn't do it.

Nope, "Support" was already there in Win9x and 2K. It
requires more time to remove it than leave it alone, so far
as functionality is concerned. If they want to drop active
technical support policies for implementing it, that is
another story and understandable.

>> Perhaps it's only antiquated in your and MS's minds.
>
>It's antiquated by comparing it's capabilities to the alternatives.

Again, no.
Adding features that someone doesn't need, does not in
itself antiquate something that is better for the user's
needs. Again it seems to come back to the idea that what
you want, specifically, should suddenly make what someone
else wants, irrelevant.

>> Certainly not so to anyone who uses it.
>
>Neither are buggy whips, to those who 'use them'. but there's little reason
>to 'support' them in "horseless carriages."

So apparently you are choosing the buggy whip. It has more
versatility than a car, since it whips animals and
unfortunately slaves (at the time). You choose this instead
of the faster alternative.

When one does not need the TCP/IP features, it's simply
counter-productive and illogical to use it when those very
features make it slower.

>> That doesn't even
>> begin to mean someone else shouldn't use something that
>> suits their needs more than your own personal alternative
>> would.
>
>They're free to use it. They'll just have to provide their own 'support',
>or a third party who might be interested.

Yep, but that has nothing to do with "antiquated". What
will antiquate Netbeui is when an alternative exceeds it's
performance but also is non-routable. In other words,
TCP/IP can never possible be the thing that antiquates it,
because both exist for different reasons.

>> The fact of the matter is that the main benefit of TCP/IP is
>> that it's routable..
>
>Ain't no 'little' thing.

Right- BUT if you don't need to route, perhaps even don't
WANT to route, then it is not only a feature that one
wouldn't miss, they choose to avoid it and reap the
performance gain from doing without.

>Not to mention it's universally supported across virtually every platform
>on the planet instead of a single O.S..

... which is completely irrelevant in fixed scenarios where
no routing is needed. Nobody is arguing to abandon TCP/IP
for uses where it is needed, only to use the right tool for
the job.

>> Once you remove that need, you're left
>> with a slower protocol.
>
>Remove it and you've got an antiquated, severely limited, protocol.

It is senseless to suggest use of a protocol with more
features when none of those features are needed and it's
slower because of them.

John Doe wrote:

> Troll

Looks like Bill Gates chose the wrong week to start taking
amphetamines.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.computers,comp.hardware (More info?)

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 17:48:16 +1000, "Black Adder"
<home@home.com> wrote:

>Mate, your a dead-set idiot if you think 98 and 2000 are better than XP.
>Windows XP has got more functionallity, better communications and runs
>faster than those OS's.

Thanks for trolling by.
If you can't run Win2k, it's your problem. The rest of the
world does so fine- in FACT, 2K is still the dominant
business OS, not XP. If you personally can't secure it, and
since it's still dominant, you ought to stop trying to
pretend to know about security.

Some Guy wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>

>>>The fact of the matter is that the main benefit of TCP/IP is
>>>that it's routable..
>>
>>Ain't no 'little' thing.
>

> -------------
> NetBEUI (NetBIOS Extended User Interface) is a new, extended
> version of NetBIOS lets computers communicate within a local
> area network. NetBEUI is the best performance choice for
> communication within a single LAN. It does not support the
> routing of messages to other networks. It is recommended to
> install both NetBEUI and TCP/IP in each computer and set the
> server up to use NetBEUI for communication within the LAN and
> TCP/IP for communication beyond the LAN.
>
> http://cob.bloomu.edu/afundaburk/personal/NBEA%20-%20Let's%20Go%20Wireless%20Presentation.ppt
> -----------

And I can find web sites that claim Elvis is alive and aliens live in comet
tails. Doesn't make them 'true'.

The issue isn't whether one can make an esoteric case that, under special
circumstances, Netbeui, in the cases where it can actually work and not
fall flat on it's ass, might be 'more efficient' than TCP/IP, assuming one
has a good enough network analyzer to measure it. It's whether that
insignificance is worth double supporting protocols when the newer, more
capable, one is perfectly fine at handling all cases and not just a select few.

And it isn't.

> Look people.

<snip of delusional paranoia>

> In article <42c79838$0$863$61c65585@uq-127creek-reader-
> 03.brisbane.pipenetworks.com.au>, Black Adder says...
>> Mate, your a dead-set idiot if you think 98 and 2000 are better than XP.
>> Windows XP has got more functionallity, better communications and runs
>> faster than those OS's.
>>
> 2000 is better than XP.
Absolute Rubbish!

> Have you ever tried networking with XP?
Yes, but I do it properly

Notice how long it takes to
> list the contents of the My Netowrk PLaces folder and how long it takes
> to list the contents of a share?
Can't say that I have, it must be you. A proper network uses login scripts
to map paths to a server. Not have piddly network shares scattered accross
2 dozen XP home PC's.

In article <42c7d91e$0$843$61c65585@uq-127creek-reader-
03.brisbane.pipenetworks.com.au>, Black Adder says...

> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > In article <42c79838$0$863$61c65585@uq-127creek-reader-
> > 03.brisbane.pipenetworks.com.au>, Black Adder says...
> >> Mate, your a dead-set idiot if you think 98 and 2000 are better than XP.
> >> Windows XP has got more functionallity, better communications and runs
> >> faster than those OS's.
> >>
> > 2000 is better than XP.
> Absolute Rubbish!
> >
> > Have you ever tried networking with XP?
> Yes, but I do it properly

In other words you hacked the registry and turned off some of those
"features that make XP better than 98/2000"

--
Conor

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 17:15:11 -0400, Some Guy <Some@Guy.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>becomes the default protocal and bye bye NetBEUI. It will mean fewer
>support calls for MS from fortune 500 companies. It doesn't mean
>NetBEUI is bad or inferior (it seems it may have a performance edge on
>small networks vs TCP, and it certainly has a security edge over
>TCP). It just means MS made a decision motivated by making their life
>simpler. I'm sure a big part of it was to force some degree of
>incompatibility between exiting networks (with NT4 servers) which
>would force those systems into the garbage in favor of XP-pro.
>
>It's funny how jaded we all pretty much are towards Microsoft the
>corporate pirahna fish that they are, how they use strong-arm tactics
>to kill competition, yet we let their mantra of OS obselescence sink
>into our heads exactly according to their plan.
>
>> Remove it and you've got an antiquated, severely limited,

OH MY.

Nice post.

Mr. Maynard is going to be busy for the next week with this
one.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,aus.computers,comp.hardware (More info?)

I suspect that Macro$oft discovered some degree of incompatibility or
instability with NetBeui on XP - plenty of evidence on the net that
such instability exists, and some work-arounds (like using some files
from Win-2K) have been suggested. M$'s corporate direction of
embracing the internet (after first dismissing it in the mid 1990's)
meant that TCP/IP took on more importance over NetBeui (I'm sure they
gritted their teeth at the realization that they couldn't force their
own protocal on the internet).

With the introduction of XP, M$ knew it would face some raised
eyebrows with the official "non-support" of NetBeui, so they began a
propaganda smear campaign against it, as this blurb of theirs
indicates:

-------------
Support for the NetBEUI network protocol has been discontinued in
Windows XP. This protocol is not available to install in Windows XP.
The NetBEUI protocol was developed in 1985. It is used by network
operating systems such as Microsoft LAN Manager, Microsoft Windows for
Workgroups, Microsoft Windows 95, and Microsoft Windows NT. The
NetBEUI protocol implements the OSI LLC2 protocol, and is a
non-routable protocol.
------------

Interesting that they somehow fail to mention that Windows 98 and
Windows 2000 also included NetBeui as a supported protocal. Hell -
who want's to associate themselves with the likes of WFWG or Win-95?
Yech!

The above blurb is quoted on this page:

http://www.marcspages.co.uk/nsd/rpm0124.htm

and is followed by this line:

--------------
But it is this last fact that still makes it one of the fastest
around, and is why Reliable Power Meters still use it.
--------------

Hmmm.

For more level-headed discourse on NetBeui, have a look here:

http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/42.htm

Tell me that the default shares on XP and the default use (and
settings) of TCP bindings aren't a recipe for disaster on home
networks (most of which don't use NAT routers) and that wireless
networking makes it worse. But nope - can't blame M$ for how they
configured XP. Took them 4 years for SP2, but it's too late for the
armies of trojan'd home computers that have turned the internet into
spam-hell (that, ironically, corporations have to deal with).

What was sacrificed to make corporate use of XP smooth and painless
has instead given them grief because of all the infected XP boxes on
residential networks. But no, that can't be. We all trust M$ to
always make the best, the wise decisions - right?

For more venting about M$ (and a little bit on NetBeui) look here:

http://www.brain.com.pk/~mnk/Tutorials/HateMS.htm

Bottom line is that if you're forced by your own delusions (or by
misguided corporate policy) to "upgrade" to XP, you're better off not
to mess with NetBeui because M$ got it wrong with XP. But don't think
they stopped "support" for it because it's antiquated (TCP is about 5
years older).

It's funny to see people rationalize the decisions M$ makes about this
or that - as if they had the best interests of their current or
previous customers in mind. History has shown time and time again
that they are always looking to see how they can (1) ease their
support load and (2) better control the obselesence of their own
products. Logic and engineering rational fall victim to the marketing
dept.