CPU Temp puzzle

Hi.....

I have an Athlon 3000+ 64 in an ECS 755-A2 motherboard. It all seems to be
working fine, there are no lockups or system crashes. The processor is
cooled by a Akasa AK-859 cooler, which is pretty good by all accounts, and
has variable fan speed control. I have a Lian-Li case, which is aluminium
and includes 3 case fans for cooling. The case temperature is reported as
around 25c.

The bios reports the CPU temp as around 54c, but on booting into windows
different monitoring programs (MBM5, Sysfan etc) report the CPU temp as
around 38c. This then rises to around 60-65c under load (games etc.), even
when the fan is on full speed. I can't find any reports of problems with
this mobo reporting the wrong temp. I've reseated the heatsink, and tried
thermal paste and pads, without much change in either direction (a few
degrees). If I put my hand on the heatsink it seems pretty cool, even when
the system is under load. It returns to around 40c when load is removed
fairly quickly, and as I said there are no stability problems.

I'm aware that the maximum operating temp for this CPU is supposed to be
around 70c, so I'm not too keen on the system getting up towards 65c
(especially since the bios reports higher temps than the windows programs),
especially with the cooling measures I've got in place. There's nothing else
remarkable about my system - Enermax 465w power supply, Western Digital 80gb
hdd, Geforce 6800gt AGP card.....

Any ideas? Anyone had similar problems with this board?

Cheers

Paul

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 23:51:08 +0100, "Paul F"
<nospamformfill31@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi.....
>
>I have an Athlon 3000+ 64 in an ECS 755-A2 motherboard. It all seems to be
>working fine, there are no lockups or system crashes. The processor is
>cooled by a Akasa AK-859 cooler, which is pretty good by all accounts, and
>has variable fan speed control.

It seems to be a little better than average but not *great*.
If the base wasn't quite smooth or there is too much thermal
compound on it (should only need 2 grains of rice sized blob
in the center which spreads when installing the 'sink), you
might try reinstalling it.

>I have a Lian-Li case, which is aluminium
>and includes 3 case fans for cooling. The case temperature is reported as
>around 25c.

Are the intake and exhaust areas mostly unobstructed or
blocked a lot by stamped-in-metal cutouts that server as
grills? If so, removing those may help.

>The bios reports the CPU temp as around 54c, but on booting into windows
>different monitoring programs (MBM5, Sysfan etc) report the CPU temp as
>around 38c.

.... to be expected as Windows ACPI idles the CPU.

>This then rises to around 60-65c under load (games etc.), even
>when the fan is on full speed. I can't find any reports of problems with
>this mobo reporting the wrong temp. I've reseated the heatsink, and tried
>thermal paste and pads, without much change in either direction (a few
>degrees). If I put my hand on the heatsink it seems pretty cool, even when
>the system is under load. It returns to around 40c when load is removed
>fairly quickly, and as I said there are no stability problems.

Run Prime95's Torture Test for at least an hour continuous.
If there are no errors or crashes in highest possible
ambient (room) temp, consider the temp fine. 60C for a CPU
at stock speed is cool enough. 65C is cause for pause but
most CPU are still stable at that temp.

>I'm aware that the maximum operating temp for this CPU is supposed to be
>around 70c,

yes/no/maybe
Depends on how you define max. Check AMD's spec sheets per
that CPU, available on amd.com. Manufacturers usually do
not spec the limit for stability as that does vary per
specimen, but the limit for damage is not 70C, usually 85C
or more.

>so I'm not too keen on the system getting up towards 65c
>(especially since the bios reports higher temps than the windows programs),
>especially with the cooling measures I've got in place. There's nothing else
>remarkable about my system - Enermax 465w power supply, Western Digital 80gb
>hdd, Geforce 6800gt AGP card.....
>
>Any ideas? Anyone had similar problems with this board?

If the heatsink really is on good and it's not getting
warm->hot to touch, your CPU is not overheating. That would
leave the remaining variable the board, that it was
reporting temps over actual temp. Instability does come
before damage in a progressive overheating scenario like you
"might" be seeing, so run Prime 95 and see if it's stable-
it's doubtful you'd do much else that stresses it more than
that.

Spajky

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 23:51:08 +0100, "Paul F"
<nospamformfill31@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Athlon 3000+ 64
> The case temperature is reported as
>around 25c.
>
>The bios reports the CPU temp as around 54c, but on booting into windows
>different monitoring programs (MBM5, Sysfan etc) report the CPU temp as
>around 38c. This then rises to around 60-65c under load (games etc.),
> It returns to around 40c when load is removed
>fairly quickly, and as I said there are no stability problems.

normal behavior with readings from Cpu onDie diode
(& at the end OS 4 Cpu HLT instruction kicks in, while staying in Bios
that is not engaged!)

> maximum operating temp for this CPU is supposed to be
>around 70c,

temp of "plastic"substate & cold plate long term full load; inside
core add some 15 deg C ...

>(especially since the bios reports higher temps than the windows programs),

No "software" cooling than , normal

>Any ideas?

don´t worry!
--