SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot bette..

SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???

I know the speed of SATA 2 is 300mbs. Not to fussed about that as we
are not even using the ATA 100 full bandwitdth yet :)

But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness of your
computer system. Will it make it much smoother.

Example coying a file and doinf somthing. That make my system grind
toa halt. Still can use it but much easier to leave it and wait.

Iam waiting to build a new 64 bit system. An Amd X2 with SATA 2 driver
sounds IDEAL.

I never want to see an Hour glass or my system slow down like it does
now.

Thanks for any info.

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 05:27:53 +1000, Son Of Sheep.
<sheep.com.au> wrote:

>SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???

No, minor increase that makes it a useful choice when it's
time to upgrade, but not a reason to upgrade.

>I know the speed of SATA 2 is 300mbs. Not to fussed about that as we
>are not even using the ATA 100 full bandwitdth yet :)

True

>But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness of your
>computer system. Will it make it much smoother.

No. A much smoothers system will need ample memory to cache
files instead of relying on a HDD cache which is still only
theoretically peaking at 300MBps, usually less.

>Example coying a file and doinf somthing. That make my system grind
>toa halt. Still can use it but much easier to leave it and wait.

Your system may need some changes then, mine don't do that.
See if you have ample memory, and if you have been trying to
use a single HDD, add a second one.

>Iam waiting to build a new 64 bit system. An Amd X2 with SATA 2 driver
>sounds IDEAL.

2 non-NCQ drives will be faster than 1 NCQ drives when work
and OS are divided. Plan a storage strategy around your use
of the system.

>I never want to see an Hour glass or my system slow down like it does
>now.
>
>Thanks for any info.

If you're really waiting a lot, there's no point in waiting
for that "next big thing". Upgrade now.