Budget video card choice?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I'm looking for a cheap video card for a friend's machine. She has
approx. $60 to spend. She's not a gamer but wants something better than
the integrated graphics built imto the motherboard (BioStar U8668D).
I've seen cards based on the MX4000 (XFX MX4000 with 128 meg of ram),
FX5200 (Gigabyte GeForce FX5200 with 128 meg of ram) and the Radeon 9550
SE (MSI Radeon 9550 SE). Which would be the best card and/or chip to
get? One of the things she wants to do is run graphics apps like
Microsoft Digital Image Suite in high resolution. She'd also like to
watch the occasional DVD on the computer without the jerkiness the
integrated video produces.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On 10 Jul 2005 22:28:47 +0500, "Tom Mislewski"
<junkthis@nospammers.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for a cheap video card for a friend's machine. She has
>approx. $60 to spend. She's not a gamer but wants something better than
>the integrated graphics built imto the motherboard (BioStar U8668D).
>I've seen cards based on the MX4000 (XFX MX4000 with 128 meg of ram),
>FX5200 (Gigabyte GeForce FX5200 with 128 meg of ram) and the Radeon 9550
>SE (MSI Radeon 9550 SE). Which would be the best card and/or chip to
>get? One of the things she wants to do is run graphics apps like
>Microsoft Digital Image Suite in high resolution. She'd also like to
>watch the occasional DVD on the computer without the jerkiness the
>integrated video produces.

Any current-generation video card's performance greatly
exceeds that needed for the described uses. Therefore, the
best choice is likely whichever you can find for the lowest
cost. Given the potential to upgrade to a digital monitor
someday, you might consider cards with the DVI connector.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

In article <1005213482794721.NC-1.54.junkthis@news.calweb.com>, Tom
Mislewski says...
> I'm looking for a cheap video card for a friend's machine. She has
> approx. $60 to spend. She's not a gamer but wants something better than
> the integrated graphics built imto the motherboard (BioStar U8668D).
> I've seen cards based on the MX4000 (XFX MX4000 with 128 meg of ram),
> FX5200 (Gigabyte GeForce FX5200 with 128 meg of ram) and the Radeon 9550
> SE (MSI Radeon 9550 SE). Which would be the best card and/or chip to
> get? One of the things she wants to do is run graphics apps like
> Microsoft Digital Image Suite in high resolution. She'd also like to
> watch the occasional DVD on the computer without the jerkiness the
> integrated video produces.

Non of them is really going to help. Have a look on E-Bay for a Matrox
Millennium G450 or G550 which have arguably the best 2D image quality
fastest 2D performance.

--
Conor

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:06:02 +0100, Conor
<conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote:

>Non of them is really going to help. Have a look on E-Bay for a Matrox
>Millennium G450 or G550 which have arguably the best 2D image quality
>fastest 2D performance.

They do have good 2D quality but performance-wise they're no
better than any modern low-end card from nVidia or ATI.

kony wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:06:02 +0100, Conor
> <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Non of them is really going to help. Have a look on E-Bay for a
>> Matrox Millennium G450 or G550 which have arguably the best 2D image
>> quality fastest 2D performance.
>
> They do have good 2D quality but performance-wise they're no
> better than any modern low-end card from nVidia or ATI.

I agree with this poast. With the new card you get a warranty, so if there
is a problem, then his lady friend would have some avenue to get it fixed!
Nothing worse than a pissed off woman.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Thanks to Kony, Conor, and sbb78247 for all their help.