Hot Dcking a SATA HDD

I notice that some new motherboards (like the ASUS 955) have external SATA
HDD plugs on the rear panel. Although cable length is a bit limited, this
could be a very useful feature.

Question is (as long as the drive is not reading), can you plug and un-plug
the HDD just like an external USB HDD?

Thanks,,,

-- Bob

Clyde

Bob Adkins wrote:
> I notice that some new motherboards (like the ASUS 955) have external SATA
> HDD plugs on the rear panel. Although cable length is a bit limited, this
> could be a very useful feature.
>
> Question is (as long as the drive is not reading), can you plug and un-plug
> the HDD just like an external USB HDD?
>
> Thanks,,,
>
> -- Bob

I have read that hot plug is part of the SATA specs. So, you should be
able to. All my SATA drives are internal, so I've never tried it.

Let us know how it works.

Clyde

Suddenly, without warning, Clyde exclaimed (11-Jul-05 4:23 PM):
> Bob Adkins wrote:
>
>> I notice that some new motherboards (like the ASUS 955) have external
>> SATA
>> HDD plugs on the rear panel. Although cable length is a bit limited, this
>> could be a very useful feature.
>>
>> Question is (as long as the drive is not reading), can you plug and
>> un-plug
>> the HDD just like an external USB HDD?
>>
>> Thanks,,,
>>
>> -- Bob
>

> I have read that hot plug is part of the SATA specs. So, you should be
> able to. All my SATA drives are internal, so I've never tried it.
>
> Let us know how it works.
>
> Clyde

Could be wrong, but I think that hot plugging is only available with the
newer SATA specs. I suspect that both the HD and the mobo need to be
able to support it. My board doesn't support it, but I think my newest
SATA drive does.

Not really sure though, as all mine are internal as well, and hot
swappability wasn't one of my buying points.

jmc

"jmc" <NOnewsgroupsSPAM@NOjodiBODY.HOMEus> wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Clyde exclaimed (11-Jul-05 4:23 PM):
>> Bob Adkins wrote:
>>
>>> I notice that some new motherboards (like the ASUS 955) have external
>>> SATA
>>> HDD plugs on the rear panel. Although cable length is a bit limited,
>>> this
>>> could be a very useful feature.
>>>
>>> Question is (as long as the drive is not reading), can you plug and
>>> un-plug
>>> the HDD just like an external USB HDD?
>>>
>>> Thanks,,,
>>>
>>> -- Bob
>>

>> I have read that hot plug is part of the SATA specs. So, you should be
>> able to. All my SATA drives are internal, so I've never tried it.
>>
>> Let us know how it works.
>>
>> Clyde
>
> Could be wrong, but I think that hot plugging is only available with the
> newer SATA specs. I suspect that both the HD and the mobo need to be able
> to support it. My board doesn't support it, but I think my newest SATA
> drive does.
>
> Not really sure though, as all mine are internal as well, and hot
> swappability wasn't one of my buying points.
>
> jmc

I believe you are correct jmc. SATA-2 supports it IIRC. You must make sure
that both the SATA controller and HDD are SATA-2. Does that MB also have the
SATA power outputs on the back panel? Just wondering.....

Ed