Songs about videogames ? Need your input

To all you music / MAME fans out there...

Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
sample videogames ?

I was on Kevin's sight checking out the Futurama episode (the space
invaders parody is just too funny)and happened to notice he had a music
video featuring a song... what other songs are out there...

Obviously we have PacMan Fever LP...

I found one from a producer called Peanut Butter Wolf about the Atari
2600 that is just awesome (if you like real simple, quirky old school
rap).

What else ?

Jim
18 answers Last reply
More about songs videogames input

    Pacman fever is the only one that I can rember... And its still
    driveing me wild ;-)

    "DefJam" <ataritoday@comcast.net>after crossing the finish line at the
    Special Olympics proudly proclaimed:

    > To all you music / MAME fans out there...
    >
    > Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
    > sample videogames ?
    >
    > I was on Kevin's sight checking out the Futurama episode (the space
    > invaders parody is just too funny)and happened to notice he had a
    > music video featuring a song... what other songs are out there...
    >
    > Obviously we have PacMan Fever LP...
    >
    > I found one from a producer called Peanut Butter Wolf about the Atari
    > 2600 that is just awesome (if you like real simple, quirky old school
    > rap).

    The Who had a song about Space Invaders, which Townsend was addicted to.
    Alas, the brain cells I have lost include the brain cells containing
    the name of the song.

    --
    FSogol

    "DefJam" <ataritoday@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > To all you music / MAME fans out there...
    >
    > Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
    > sample videogames ?

    Does "Mame Song" count?

    http://www.powerstrike.net/flovies.html

    AS

    >> To all you music / MAME fans out there...
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
    >> sample videogames ?
    >>
    >> I was on Kevin's sight checking out the Futurama episode (the space
    >> invaders parody is just too funny)and happened to notice he had a
    >> music video featuring a song... what other songs are out there...
    >>
    >> Obviously we have PacMan Fever LP...
    >>
    >> I found one from a producer called Peanut Butter Wolf about the Atari
    >> 2600 that is just awesome (if you like real simple, quirky old school
    >> rap).
    >>
    > The Who had a song about Space Invaders, which Townsend was addicted to.
    > Alas, the brain cells I have lost include the brain cells containing
    > the name of the song.

    Yep, they even had a kid playing Space Duel on the back of "It's Hard" if I
    remember correctly. The Prentenders also had a song called Space Invaders I
    think which ended with sound effects from the game.

    A good video game song is "Whatever happened to Pong" by Frank Black.

    ~telengard

    --
    ..--------------------------------------------------,--------.
    |-------------------------. bsturk<AT>adelphia.net | Python |( _ _)/ /-."~
    | http://www.telengard.com `------------------------`-------| `( )_ )/
    | Telengard Technologies Inc. - NT/*nix UI & device drivers |_<_s_<_s
    `-----------------------------------------------------------'

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:05:01 +0200, "Sune Salminen"
    <salminen@monkeydoktor.dk> wrote:

    >DefJam wrote:
    >> To all you music / MAME fans out there...
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
    >> sample videogames ?
    >>
    >> I was on Kevin's sight checking out the Futurama episode (the space
    >> invaders parody is just too funny)and happened to notice he had a
    >> music video featuring a song... what other songs are out there...
    >>
    >> Obviously we have PacMan Fever LP...
    >>
    >> I found one from a producer called Peanut Butter Wolf about the Atari
    >> 2600 that is just awesome (if you like real simple, quirky old school
    >> rap).
    >>
    >> What else ?
    >>

    >> Jim
    >
    >Aphex Twin - Powerpill Pac Man
    >Benefit - Warp To World 6-9
    >
    >-Sune

    Player 1 - Space Invaders

    Aussie band called, Player 1 had a hit with Space Invaders

    http://pixeleye.de/spaceinvaders/sounds/SpaceInvaders.mp3

    --
    Ian
    The Pinny Parlour

    http://www.thepinnyparlour.com

    IPM Invader - http://www.geocities.com/ipminvader

    The Pinny Parlour thought about it a bit, then said...
    > Aussie band called, Player 1 had a hit with Space Invaders
    >
    > http://pixeleye.de/spaceinvaders/sounds/SpaceInvaders.mp3

    Thanks for the link to an MP3!

    Man, that's a cheesy song (almost as bad as 10,000 Points!), but it
    would be a cool basis for a music video using the "Raiders of the Lost
    Arcade" footage I have...hmmm...

    "Invaders! Possibly from Space!"

    --
    Kevin Steele
    RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

    DefJam wrote:
    > To all you music / MAME fans out there...
    >
    > Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
    > sample videogames ?
    >
    > I was on Kevin's sight checking out the Futurama episode (the space
    > invaders parody is just too funny)and happened to notice he had a music
    > video featuring a song... what other songs are out there...
    >
    > Obviously we have PacMan Fever LP...
    >
    > I found one from a producer called Peanut Butter Wolf about the Atari
    > 2600 that is just awesome (if you like real simple, quirky old school
    > rap).
    >
    > What else ?
    >

    > Jim

    Bloodhound Gangs "Mope" mentions pac man and the video even has a cameo
    of him.

    --
    Super Mike
    Ha! Ha! estoy usando la internet!!!1

    - one of the old streetsound electro albums (electro 1 I think ) had a
    Pac-Man tune.

    "DefJam" <ataritoday@comcast.net> wrote in news:1123807305.108651.127190
    @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    <snip>

    > What else ?

    What else indeed! I know I've brought this up before, but don't forget that
    weird link between New Zealand rock music of the 60's and arcade games:

    http://www.sergent.com.au/hubbkapp.html#Defenders

    http://www.sergent.com.au/columbusinv.html

    lob

    In a parallel universe, Anti-Kevin Steele said exactly the opposite of:

    > The Pinny Parlour thought about it a bit, then said...
    >> Aussie band called, Player 1 had a hit with Space Invaders
    >>
    >> http://pixeleye.de/spaceinvaders/sounds/SpaceInvaders.mp3
    >
    > Thanks for the link to an MP3!
    >
    > Man, that's a cheesy song (almost as bad as 10,000 Points!), but it
    > would be a cool basis for a music video using the "Raiders of the Lost
    > Arcade" footage I have...hmmm...
    >
    > "Invaders! Possibly from Space!"

    "Amy, attend to the widow Pac-Man"

    "Have you smelled Donkey Kong's loincloth lately?"

    *-) K.os
    --
    "He imagined for a moment his itinerary connecting up all the dots in the
    sky like a child's numbered dots puzzle. He hoped that from some vantage

    Hello all,

    Kevin at retro was kind enough to put that song I mentioned on his
    site....

    You can check out a wma version of the song at:

    http://www.retroblast.com/files/My2600.wma

    Artist: Captain Funkaho (no, I did not make this up)
    Song: My 2600
    Album: Peanut Butter Wolf - Jukebox 45's...

    If you like it a bunch I'll try and get an MP3 version....
    By the way, if you like rap... I highly recommend Peanut Butter Wolf's
    - My Vinyl Weighs a Ton.... excellent beats... smooth old school.
    Jukebox 45's is nice, but My Vinyl Weighs a Ton is an excellent album
    from start to finish. It does not sound like My 2600.

    "K.os" <K.osNO@SPAMvideotron.ca> wrote in

    > In a parallel universe, Anti-Kevin Steele said exactly the opposite of:
    >
    >> The Pinny Parlour thought about it a bit, then said...
    >>> Aussie band called, Player 1 had a hit with Space Invaders
    >>>
    >>> http://pixeleye.de/spaceinvaders/sounds/SpaceInvaders.mp3
    >>
    >> Thanks for the link to an MP3!
    >>
    >> Man, that's a cheesy song (almost as bad as 10,000 Points!), but it
    >> would be a cool basis for a music video using the "Raiders of the Lost
    >> Arcade" footage I have...hmmm...
    >>
    >> "Invaders! Possibly from Space!"
    >
    > "Amy, attend to the widow Pac-Man"
    >
    > "Have you smelled Donkey Kong's loincloth lately?"
    >
    > *-) K.os

    You know... I SWEAR in the original airing of that episode the Bezerk
    robots were using the actual samples from the game. Was there a lawsuit
    or C&D order that forced them to change the lines? (of course now they
    say "All your base are belong to us")

    --
    ___
    Chuck Whitby - Founder

    On 11 Aug 2005 17:41:45 -0700, "DefJam" <ataritoday@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >To all you music / MAME fans out there...
    >
    >Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
    >sample videogames ?
    >
    >I was on Kevin's sight checking out the Futurama episode (the space
    >invaders parody is just too funny)and happened to notice he had a music
    >video featuring a song... what other songs are out there...
    >
    >Obviously we have PacMan Fever LP...
    >
    >I found one from a producer called Peanut Butter Wolf about the Atari
    >2600 that is just awesome (if you like real simple, quirky old school
    >rap).
    >
    >What else ?
    >

    >Jim

    This is more geared toward old computer games, but it's probably my
    favorite game related song. Very clever and funny video too!
    http://www2.b3ta.com/heyhey16k/

    Tim

    Tim O wrote:
    > On 11 Aug 2005 17:41:45 -0700, "DefJam" <ataritoday@comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>To all you music / MAME fans out there...
    >>
    >>Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
    >>sample videogames ?
    >>
    >>I was on Kevin's sight checking out the Futurama episode (the space
    >>invaders parody is just too funny)and happened to notice he had a music
    >>video featuring a song... what other songs are out there...
    >>
    >>Obviously we have PacMan Fever LP...
    >>
    >>I found one from a producer called Peanut Butter Wolf about the Atari
    >>2600 that is just awesome (if you like real simple, quirky old school
    >>rap).
    >>
    >>What else ?
    >>

    >>Jim
    >

    > This is more geared toward old computer games, but it's probably my
    > favorite game related song. Very clever and funny video too!
    > http://www2.b3ta.com/heyhey16k/
    >
    > Tim

    <SIGH> Ah, the memories.....

    FOR N = 0 TO 1: N = 0: PRINT CHR$(47 + INT(RND * 2) * 45); : NEXT N

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    shrewd@Brighellaa.edu
    Epanorthidae@rigbanef.com
    joggly@plainstonesh.com
    firstly@constitutivenesse.mil
    unsuspectful@unfermentingl.int

    Amedeo Storni wrote:
    > "DefJam" <ataritoday@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > To all you music / MAME fans out there...
    > >
    > > Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
    > > sample videogames ?
    >
    > Does "Mame Song" count?
    >
    > http://www.powerstrike.net/flovies.html
    >
    > AS

    Great stuff!

    "DefJam" <ataritoday@comcast.net> wrote in message
    ..com...
    >> > To all you music / MAME fans out there...
    >> >
    >> > Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
    >> > sample videogames ?

    As I've come into this thread late and the early posts are nop longer on the
    ntl server, apologies if I'm repeating anything!

    In 1992 a novely dance single got to number 8 in the British charts called
    "Supermarioland" by Amassadors of Funk featuring MC Mario. There was also an
    "answer record", "Supersonic" by HWA featuring Sonic the Hedgehog which hit
    number 33 later the same year. These sampled from the SNES and SEGA games
    respectively.

    As far as arcade games go, in the same year (great year, huh?) Powerpill got
    to number 43 with "Pac-Man"
    Other Pac-Man songs from around the World are:

    a.. Buckner and Garcia recorded a 1982 song titled Pac-Man Fever. This
    song used some sounds from the game.
    b.. Lil' Flip recorded a song called Game Over which incorporated some
    sounds from the game.
    c.. The Bloodhound Gang used Pac Man sound effects and dialog with Pac-Man
    in the song "Mope"
    d.. Aphex Twin, in the guise of Power Pill, recorded Pac-Man which
    incorporated many sounds from the game along with most of its soundtrack.
    e.. "Weird Al" Yankovic has an unreleased song entitled "Pacman", paroding
    the song "Taxman" by The Beatles.
    f.. Patricio Rey y sus Redonditos de Ricota has a song called Un Pacman en
    el Savoy (a Pacman in the Savoy).
    (Taken from wikipedia - and I've just added the Powerpill one to it, that
    was missing!)

    On a more literal sense the original theme music for Mario 2 can be found
    here:

    http://www.discoverynet.com/~ajsnead/theme/theme_1.html

    as a midi file.

    Jason

    "jasongnome" <jason@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    > d.. Aphex Twin, in the guise of Power Pill, recorded Pac-Man which
    > incorporated many sounds from the game along with most of its soundtrack.

    > (Taken from wikipedia - and I've just added the Powerpill one to it, that
    > was missing!)

    A-hem! I've just been back to Wikipedia and edited that back out after
    noticing this!

    Jason

Games Music Video Games