Songs about videogames ? Need your input

Last response: in Video Games
August 11, 2005 9:41:45 PM

To all you music / MAME fans out there...

Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
sample videogames ?

I was on Kevin's sight checking out the Futurama episode (the space
invaders parody is just too funny)and happened to notice he had a music
video featuring a song... what other songs are out there...

Obviously we have PacMan Fever LP...

I found one from a producer called Peanut Butter Wolf about the Atari
2600 that is just awesome (if you like real simple, quirky old school
rap).

What else ?

Jim

More about : songs videogames input

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:24:15 AM

Pacman fever is the only one that I can rember... And its still
driveing me wild ;-)
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 6:32:33 AM

"DefJam" <ataritoday@comcast.net>after crossing the finish line at the
Special Olympics proudly proclaimed:

> To all you music / MAME fans out there...
>
> Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
> sample videogames ?
>
> I was on Kevin's sight checking out the Futurama episode (the space
> invaders parody is just too funny)and happened to notice he had a
> music video featuring a song... what other songs are out there...
>
> Obviously we have PacMan Fever LP...
>
> I found one from a producer called Peanut Butter Wolf about the Atari
> 2600 that is just awesome (if you like real simple, quirky old school
> rap).

The Who had a song about Space Invaders, which Townsend was addicted to.
Alas, the brain cells I have lost include the brain cells containing
the name of the song.

--
FSogol
August 12, 2005 2:43:13 PM

"DefJam" <ataritoday@comcast.net> wrote in message
> To all you music / MAME fans out there...
>
> Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
> sample videogames ?

Does "Mame Song" count?

http://www.powerstrike.net/flovies.html

AS
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:04:11 PM

>> To all you music / MAME fans out there...
>>
>> Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
>> sample videogames ?
>>
>> I was on Kevin's sight checking out the Futurama episode (the space
>> invaders parody is just too funny)and happened to notice he had a
>> music video featuring a song... what other songs are out there...
>>
>> Obviously we have PacMan Fever LP...
>>
>> I found one from a producer called Peanut Butter Wolf about the Atari
>> 2600 that is just awesome (if you like real simple, quirky old school
>> rap).
>>
> The Who had a song about Space Invaders, which Townsend was addicted to.
> Alas, the brain cells I have lost include the brain cells containing
> the name of the song.

Yep, they even had a kid playing Space Duel on the back of "It's Hard" if I
remember correctly. The Prentenders also had a song called Space Invaders I
think which ended with sound effects from the game.

A good video game song is "Whatever happened to Pong" by Frank Black.

~telengard

--
..--------------------------------------------------,--------.
|-------------------------. bsturk<AT>adelphia.net | Python |( _ _)/ /-."~
| http://www.telengard.com `------------------------`-------| `( )_ )/
| Telengard Technologies Inc. - NT/*nix UI & device drivers |_<_s_<_s
`-----------------------------------------------------------'
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 10:27:45 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:05:01 +0200, "Sune Salminen"
<salminen@monkeydoktor.dk> wrote:

>DefJam wrote:
>> To all you music / MAME fans out there...
>>
>> Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
>> sample videogames ?
>>
>> I was on Kevin's sight checking out the Futurama episode (the space
>> invaders parody is just too funny)and happened to notice he had a
>> music video featuring a song... what other songs are out there...
>>
>> Obviously we have PacMan Fever LP...
>>
>> I found one from a producer called Peanut Butter Wolf about the Atari
>> 2600 that is just awesome (if you like real simple, quirky old school
>> rap).
>>
>> What else ?
>>

>> Jim
>
>Aphex Twin - Powerpill Pac Man
>Benefit - Warp To World 6-9
>
>-Sune

Player 1 - Space Invaders
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 6:14:28 AM

The Pinny Parlour thought about it a bit, then said...
> Aussie band called, Player 1 had a hit with Space Invaders
>
> http://pixeleye.de/spaceinvaders/sounds/SpaceInvaders.m...

Thanks for the link to an MP3!

Man, that's a cheesy song (almost as bad as 10,000 Points!), but it
would be a cool basis for a music video using the "Raiders of the Lost
Arcade" footage I have...hmmm...

"Invaders! Possibly from Space!"

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

DefJam wrote:
> To all you music / MAME fans out there...
>
> Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
> sample videogames ?
>
> I was on Kevin's sight checking out the Futurama episode (the space
> invaders parody is just too funny)and happened to notice he had a music
> video featuring a song... what other songs are out there...
>
> Obviously we have PacMan Fever LP...
>
> I found one from a producer called Peanut Butter Wolf about the Atari
> 2600 that is just awesome (if you like real simple, quirky old school
> rap).
>
> What else ?
>

> Jim

Bloodhound Gangs "Mope" mentions pac man and the video even has a cameo
of him.

--
Super Mike
Ha! Ha! estoy usando la internet!!!1

- one of the old streetsound electro albums (electro 1 I think ) had a
Pac-Man tune.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 2:52:08 AM

In a parallel universe, Anti-Kevin Steele said exactly the opposite of:

> The Pinny Parlour thought about it a bit, then said...
>> Aussie band called, Player 1 had a hit with Space Invaders
>>
>> http://pixeleye.de/spaceinvaders/sounds/SpaceInvaders.m...
>
> Thanks for the link to an MP3!
>
> Man, that's a cheesy song (almost as bad as 10,000 Points!), but it
> would be a cool basis for a music video using the "Raiders of the Lost
> Arcade" footage I have...hmmm...
>
> "Invaders! Possibly from Space!"

"Amy, attend to the widow Pac-Man"

"Have you smelled Donkey Kong's loincloth lately?"

*-) K.os
--
"He imagined for a moment his itinerary connecting up all the dots in the
sky like a child's numbered dots puzzle. He hoped that from some vantage

Hello all,

Kevin at retro was kind enough to put that song I mentioned on his
site....

You can check out a wma version of the song at:

http://www.retroblast.com/files/My2600.wma

Artist: Captain Funkaho (no, I did not make this up)
Song: My 2600
Album: Peanut Butter Wolf - Jukebox 45's...

If you like it a bunch I'll try and get an MP3 version....
By the way, if you like rap... I highly recommend Peanut Butter Wolf's
- My Vinyl Weighs a Ton.... excellent beats... smooth old school.
Jukebox 45's is nice, but My Vinyl Weighs a Ton is an excellent album
from start to finish. It does not sound like My 2600.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:17:36 AM

"K.os" <K.osNO@SPAMvideotron.ca> wrote in

> In a parallel universe, Anti-Kevin Steele said exactly the opposite of:
>
>> The Pinny Parlour thought about it a bit, then said...
>>> Aussie band called, Player 1 had a hit with Space Invaders
>>>
>>> http://pixeleye.de/spaceinvaders/sounds/SpaceInvaders.m...
>>
>> Thanks for the link to an MP3!
>>
>> Man, that's a cheesy song (almost as bad as 10,000 Points!), but it
>> would be a cool basis for a music video using the "Raiders of the Lost
>> Arcade" footage I have...hmmm...
>>
>> "Invaders! Possibly from Space!"
>
> "Amy, attend to the widow Pac-Man"
>
> "Have you smelled Donkey Kong's loincloth lately?"
>
> *-) K.os

You know... I SWEAR in the original airing of that episode the Bezerk
robots were using the actual samples from the game. Was there a lawsuit
or C&D order that forced them to change the lines? (of course now they
say "All your base are belong to us")

--
___
Chuck Whitby - Founder

On 11 Aug 2005 17:41:45 -0700, "DefJam" <ataritoday@comcast.net>
wrote:

>To all you music / MAME fans out there...
>
>Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
>sample videogames ?
>
>I was on Kevin's sight checking out the Futurama episode (the space
>invaders parody is just too funny)and happened to notice he had a music
>video featuring a song... what other songs are out there...
>
>Obviously we have PacMan Fever LP...
>
>I found one from a producer called Peanut Butter Wolf about the Atari
>2600 that is just awesome (if you like real simple, quirky old school
>rap).
>
>What else ?
>

>Jim

This is more geared toward old computer games, but it's probably my
favorite game related song. Very clever and funny video too!
http://www2.b3ta.com/heyhey16k/

Tim
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 11:21:24 AM

Tim O wrote:
> On 11 Aug 2005 17:41:45 -0700, "DefJam" <ataritoday@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

>>To all you music / MAME fans out there...
>>
>>Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
>>sample videogames ?
>>
>>I was on Kevin's sight checking out the Futurama episode (the space
>>invaders parody is just too funny)and happened to notice he had a music
>>video featuring a song... what other songs are out there...
>>
>>Obviously we have PacMan Fever LP...
>>
>>I found one from a producer called Peanut Butter Wolf about the Atari
>>2600 that is just awesome (if you like real simple, quirky old school
>>rap).
>>
>>What else ?
>>

>>Jim
>

> This is more geared toward old computer games, but it's probably my
> favorite game related song. Very clever and funny video too!
> http://www2.b3ta.com/heyhey16k/
>
> Tim

<SIGH> Ah, the memories.....

FOR N = 0 TO 1: N = 0: PRINT CHR$(47 + INT(RND * 2) * 45); : NEXT N

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

shrewd@Brighellaa.edu
Epanorthidae@rigbanef.com
joggly@plainstonesh.com
firstly@constitutivenesse.mil
unsuspectful@unfermentingl.int
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:13:56 PM

Amedeo Storni wrote:
> "DefJam" <ataritoday@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > To all you music / MAME fans out there...
> >
> > Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
> > sample videogames ?
>
> Does "Mame Song" count?
>
> http://www.powerstrike.net/flovies.html
>
> AS

Great stuff!
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:59:45 AM

"DefJam" <ataritoday@comcast.net> wrote in message
..com...
>> > To all you music / MAME fans out there...
>> >
>> > Does anyone have a list of songs that are about videogames or heavily
>> > sample videogames ?

As I've come into this thread late and the early posts are nop longer on the
ntl server, apologies if I'm repeating anything!

In 1992 a novely dance single got to number 8 in the British charts called
"Supermarioland" by Amassadors of Funk featuring MC Mario. There was also an
"answer record", "Supersonic" by HWA featuring Sonic the Hedgehog which hit
number 33 later the same year. These sampled from the SNES and SEGA games
respectively.

As far as arcade games go, in the same year (great year, huh?) Powerpill got
to number 43 with "Pac-Man"
Other Pac-Man songs from around the World are:

a.. Buckner and Garcia recorded a 1982 song titled Pac-Man Fever. This
song used some sounds from the game.
b.. Lil' Flip recorded a song called Game Over which incorporated some
sounds from the game.
c.. The Bloodhound Gang used Pac Man sound effects and dialog with Pac-Man
in the song "Mope"
d.. Aphex Twin, in the guise of Power Pill, recorded Pac-Man which
incorporated many sounds from the game along with most of its soundtrack.
e.. "Weird Al" Yankovic has an unreleased song entitled "Pacman", paroding
the song "Taxman" by The Beatles.
f.. Patricio Rey y sus Redonditos de Ricota has a song called Un Pacman en
el Savoy (a Pacman in the Savoy).
(Taken from wikipedia - and I've just added the Powerpill one to it, that
was missing!)

On a more literal sense the original theme music for Mario 2 can be found
here:

http://www.discoverynet.com/~ajsnead/theme/theme_1.html

as a midi file.

Jason
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 3:00:59 AM

"jasongnome" <jason@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> d.. Aphex Twin, in the guise of Power Pill, recorded Pac-Man which
> incorporated many sounds from the game along with most of its soundtrack.

> (Taken from wikipedia - and I've just added the Powerpill one to it, that
> was missing!)

A-hem! I've just been back to Wikipedia and edited that back out after
noticing this!

Jason
!