Req "parental' type help on my Network.

I have a small computer network in my home.
My kids have a networked computer in their roooms.
I also have an X-Box on the network.

I want to be able to get on to their HDs from the net work,
get on my HDs from their computers, but not let them have access to my
computer's HD.

Any suggestions on doing this?

I also tried net nanny to help with preventing them from going to
Adult sites, but it didn't work very well.

Any help with this would be most greatly appreciated.

SG

Brett Miller writes:

> I want to be able to get on to their HDs from the net work,
> get on my HDs from their computers, but not let them have access to my
> computer's HD.

What operating systems are you running on the computers?

You should be able to share all the drives on the network with Windows
XP. If you turn off simple sharing (not sure if this is possible in
the Home Edition), you can control access by user account, thereby
preventing anyone without the right password from accessing a shared
folder (but others can prevent you from doing this, too).

If you share folders, make sure you have a good firewall between your
network and the Internet.

> I also tried net nanny to help with preventing them from going to
> Adult sites, but it didn't work very well.

The only way to prevent them from visiting adult sites is to deny them
all Internet access.

What you want to do is certainly possible, but it is NOT easy to explain
(MANY steps involved.). I would recommend stopping by a bookstore and
picking up a beginning Windows XP networking book.

--
DaveW

"Brett Miller" wrote:
> I also tried net nanny to help with preventing them from going to
> Adult sites, but it didn't work very well.
>
> Any help with this would be most greatly appreciated.

Tell them that if they go to adult sites, they will lose their internet
access.

Jon

That is the current understanding between us.

Actually,
I may be a flake or odd ball, but I'm not really all that wigged
out by the kids seeing a nude female body ( I have all boys.)
But, though I thought I'd seen a lot, my idea of "kinky"
was very naive was shattered once I got the Net.
I know that most programs can be by passed by my kids evenutally,
but if I can just make them stop and think before they go to a
site, then I'd be happy.

Kind of like a lock - "It just keeps an honest man honest. But
it will not stop a thief."

Thanks
BM

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:02:32 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
<jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Brett Miller" wrote:
>> I also tried net nanny to help with preventing them from going to
>> Adult sites, but it didn't work very well.
>>
>> Any help with this would be most greatly appreciated.
>
>Tell them that if they go to adult sites, they will lose their internet
>access.
>
>Jon

I'm using XP, unsure of which version, but I can change to
another if there is a better one for this.
I've been doing Doz since 3.1 but I'll admit, while I have a
network up and running , sometimes it is a great mystery to me.
I have very many unread reference books.
Any suggestions for what to look under in the Glossery as I seek
help?

BM

Brett writes:

> I may be a flake or odd ball, but I'm not really all that wigged
> out by the kids seeing a nude female body ( I have all boys.)
> But, though I thought I'd seen a lot, my idea of "kinky"
> was very naive was shattered once I got the Net.
> I know that most programs can be by passed by my kids evenutally,
> but if I can just make them stop and think before they go to a
> site, then I'd be happy.

Kids who have not reached puberty are not interested in pornography
and won't look for it. And pornography is not something one stumbles
upon by accident when using the Internet in a targeted way.

Kids who have reached puberty may be interested in pornography. It's
hard to see anything intrinsically wrong with this. I personally
believe that a generalized exposure to pornography is harmless, and
"soft" pornography (simple nudity) is particularly innocuous. So if
they go looking for it, who cares? Perhaps they'll grow up with fewer
sexual hang-ups than their elders.

"Mxsmanic" wrote:
> Brett writes:
>
> > I may be a flake or odd ball, but I'm not really all that wigged
> > out by the kids seeing a nude female body ( I have all boys.)
> > But, though I thought I'd seen a lot, my idea of "kinky"
> > was very naive was shattered once I got the Net.
> > I know that most programs can be by passed by my kids evenutally,
> > but if I can just make them stop and think before they go to a
> > site, then I'd be happy.
>
> Kids who have not reached puberty are not interested in pornography
> and won't look for it. And pornography is not something one stumbles
> upon by accident when using the Internet in a targeted way.

Heh, actually it's extremely easy to "stumble upon" porn by accident, at
least from my experience. Case in point is my Grandmother, who at 96 gets
online each day to check her email and occasionally surf. Last year, before
I set her Google preferences to exclude adult content, she was cruising
around looking for sites relating to her hobby (she makes dolls). As you
can probably imagine, she came across some "doll" sites that didn't relate
to the porcelain variety, if you catch my drift. Of course, at her age she
found it rather amusing, but it still illustrates the point that it doesn't
take much effort to "stumble upon by accident" porn.

Jon

Jon Danniken writes:

> Heh, actually it's extremely easy to "stumble upon" porn by accident, at
> least from my experience.

I've been surfing for over a decade, and I can't recall any such
"accidents."

> Case in point is my Grandmother, who at 96 gets
> online each day to check her email and occasionally surf. Last year, before
> I set her Google preferences to exclude adult content, she was cruising
> around looking for sites relating to her hobby (she makes dolls). As you
> can probably imagine, she came across some "doll" sites that didn't relate
> to the porcelain variety, if you catch my drift. Of course, at her age she
> found it rather amusing, but it still illustrates the point that it doesn't
> take much effort to "stumble upon by accident" porn.

Just finding links doesn't count. You have to follow the links, and
usually the links alone make it clear what awaits. And as you
observe, on Google you have to set a filter to get to "adult" links as
well.

"Mxsmanic" wrote:
> And as you observe, on Google you have to set a filter to get to "adult"
links as
> well.

That is not what I observed, nor is it what I wrote.

What I *did* write was that I set a filter to *exclude* porn.

The fact is that Google search preferences default to "moderate" filtering,
which *does* allow some porn to come through.

Jon

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 02:19:29 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
<jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Mxsmanic" wrote:
>> And as you observe, on Google you have to set a filter to get to "adult"
>links as
>> well.
>
>That is not what I observed, nor is it what I wrote.
>
>What I *did* write was that I set a filter to *exclude* porn.
>
>The fact is that Google search preferences default to "moderate" filtering,
>which *does* allow some porn to come through.
>
>Jon

Like anything else, it's a game of catch-up. Sites are
aware of google and if they aren't showing up with default
google settings, they may take action to sneak their 'site
in by trying to avoid google's filters.

TRENDING THREADS