Diskeeper vs MS defrag?

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

I already own Diskeeper but am setting up my system again and am wondering whether
to install it or to just use MS defrag.

Thoughts - experiences appreciated.

Louise

Fitz

Diskeeper will defrag more than one drive at once. I find it significantly
faster when defragging 2 X SATA (RAID 0 ) and an ATA HD on my system. That's
probably the main advantage to using the retail version instead of MS
(which, I understand, is a "barebones" version of the Executive Software
Diskeeper).

Fitz

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 01:43:21 GMT, louise <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>I already own Diskeeper but am setting up my system again and am wondering whether
>to install it or to just use MS defrag.
>
>Thoughts - experiences appreciated.
>
>Louise

I use perfect disk.Ms defrag s***s.Made by raxco.

C.

Diskeeper is faster and does a more thorough job than the MS provided
program, as you would expect.

--
DaveW

DaveW writes:

> Diskeeper is faster and does a more thorough job than the MS provided
> program, as you would expect.

As I recall, MS simply bought rights to Diskeeper and rebranded it.
They both do roughly the same job, as you might expect.

Note that only FAT file systems really require defragmentation on a
regular basis. The design of NTFS makes fragmentation a very minor
issue. The same is true for UNIX file systems.

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 16:04:34 -0700, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>Diskeeper is faster and does a more thorough job than the MS provided
>program, as you would expect.

What do you mean by a 'more thorough job'?

Why would 'we' expect it?

I suspect you don't know what you are talking about.