No Power

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Just finished assembly of my first system:
MSI K8T Pro Neo2-F
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (venice core)
2x512mb PC3200 Kington Value Ram
ATI 9600 Pro AGP card
Dynapower case 430W supply

I’ve gone through the manual page by page, all connectors are correct,
I’ve checked, double checked & triple checked all of them. Add power
cable, turn on power supply & nothing... I’ve tried with nothing but
RAM, the video card and processor, changed the RAM from DIMM 1&3 to
DIMM 2&4, tried just one stick of RAM, tried with & without the video
card. I disconnected the power from the board and jumpered the power
connector very briefly (10-15 seconds) and the power supply fan came
on when power was turned on. Power supply set at 115v.Any ideas are
appreciated, going to play with it more tomorrow, got frustrated and
quit to clear my head.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-Power-ftopict60009.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=303344
8 answers Last reply
More about power
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "ssap1" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    > Just finished assembly of my first system:
    > MSI K8T Pro Neo2-F
    > AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (venice core)
    > 2x512mb PC3200 Kington Value Ram
    > ATI 9600 Pro AGP card
    > Dynapower case 430W supply
    >
    > I've gone through the manual page by page, all connectors are correct,
    > I've checked, double checked & triple checked all of them. Add power
    > cable, turn on power supply & nothing... I've tried with nothing but
    > RAM, the video card and processor, changed the RAM from DIMM 1&3 to
    > DIMM 2&4, tried just one stick of RAM, tried with & without the video
    > card. I disconnected the power from the board and jumpered the power
    > connector very briefly (10-15 seconds) and the power supply fan came
    > on when power was turned on. Power supply set at 115v.Any ideas are
    > appreciated, going to play with it more tomorrow, got frustrated and
    > quit to clear my head.
    >
    > --
    Make sure the Mboard is not touching down in the case. Had one that did,
    puzzled me,
    `till I tried the board out of the case.
    bw..OJ
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    In article
    <7_303344_dcdc72fa745a97fd31cfce5aa8d3364f@hardwareforumz.com>,
    UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com says...
    > Just finished assembly of my first system:
    > MSI K8T Pro Neo2-F
    > AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (venice core)
    > 2x512mb PC3200 Kington Value Ram
    > ATI 9600 Pro AGP card
    > Dynapower case 430W supply
    >
    > I?ve gone through the manual page by page, all connectors are correct,
    > I?ve checked, double checked & triple checked all of them. Add power
    > cable, turn on power supply & nothing... I?ve tried with nothing but
    > RAM, the video card and processor, changed the RAM from DIMM 1&3 to
    > DIMM 2&4, tried just one stick of RAM, tried with & without the video
    > card. I disconnected the power from the board and jumpered the power
    > connector very briefly (10-15 seconds) and the power supply fan came
    > on when power was turned on. Power supply set at 115v.Any ideas are
    > appreciated, going to play with it more tomorrow, got frustrated and
    > quit to clear my head.

    Could try clearing the cmos and resetting the BIOS.

    --
    Pete Ives
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Peter" <ivingtonAll_stRESS@fast24.co.uk> wrote in message
    > In article
    > <7_303344_dcdc72fa745a97fd31cfce5aa8d3364f@hardwareforumz.com>,
    > UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com says...
    > > Just finished assembly of my first system:
    > > MSI K8T Pro Neo2-F
    > > AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (venice core)
    > > 2x512mb PC3200 Kington Value Ram
    > > ATI 9600 Pro AGP card
    > > Dynapower case 430W supply
    > >
    > > I?ve gone through the manual page by page, all connectors are correct,
    > > I?ve checked, double checked & triple checked all of them. Add power
    > > cable, turn on power supply & nothing... I?ve tried with nothing but
    > > RAM, the video card and processor, changed the RAM from DIMM 1&3 to
    > > DIMM 2&4, tried just one stick of RAM, tried with & without the video
    > > card. I disconnected the power from the board and jumpered the power
    > > connector very briefly (10-15 seconds) and the power supply fan came
    > > on when power was turned on. Power supply set at 115v.Any ideas are
    > > appreciated, going to play with it more tomorrow, got frustrated and
    > > quit to clear my head.
    > >

    > Could try clearing the cmos and resetting the BIOS.
    >
    > --
    > Pete Ives
    > Remove All_stRESS before sending me an email

    Try without the RAM, should beep code for no memory. Any movement on CPU
    fan? If no beeps, is motherboard, CPU or PSU. Can you borrow a known good
    PSU to test?
    Mike.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Make sure to connect the small square connector that powers up the
    processor.

    "ssap1" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    > Just finished assembly of my first system:
    > MSI K8T Pro Neo2-F
    > AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (venice core)
    > 2x512mb PC3200 Kington Value Ram
    > ATI 9600 Pro AGP card
    > Dynapower case 430W supply
    >
    > I've gone through the manual page by page, all connectors are correct,
    > I've checked, double checked & triple checked all of them. Add power
    > cable, turn on power supply & nothing... I've tried with nothing but
    > RAM, the video card and processor, changed the RAM from DIMM 1&3 to
    > DIMM 2&4, tried just one stick of RAM, tried with & without the video
    > card. I disconnected the power from the board and jumpered the power
    > connector very briefly (10-15 seconds) and the power supply fan came
    > on when power was turned on. Power supply set at 115v.Any ideas are
    > appreciated, going to play with it more tomorrow, got frustrated and
    > quit to clear my head.

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-Power-ftopict60009.html
    > http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=303344

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > In article
    > <7_303344_dcdc72fa745a97fd31cfce5aa8d3364f@hardwareforumz.com>,
    >
    > UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com says...
    > > Just finished assembly of my first system:
    > > MSI K8T Pro Neo2-F
    > > AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (venice core)
    > > 2x512mb PC3200 Kington Value Ram
    > > ATI 9600 Pro AGP card
    > > Dynapower case 430W supply
    > >
    > > I?ve gone through the manual page by page, all connectors
    > are correct,
    > > I?ve checked, double checked & triple checked all of them.
    > Add power
    > > cable, turn on power supply & nothing... I?ve tried with
    > nothing but
    > > RAM, the video card and processor, changed the RAM from DIMM
    > > DIMM 2&4, tried just one stick of RAM, tried with & without
    > the video
    > > card. I disconnected the power from the board and jumpered
    > the power
    > > connector very briefly (10-15 seconds) and the power supply
    > fan came
    > > on when power was turned on. Power supply set at 115v.Any
    > ideas are
    > > appreciated, going to play with it more tomorrow, got
    > frustrated and
    > > quit to clear my head.
    > >

    > Could try clearing the cmos and resetting the BIOS.
    >
    > --
    > Pete Ives
    > Remove All_stRESS before sending me an email

    Thanks for the ideas, I’ve changed the CMOS jumper between each
    attempt. For example if I pulled one stick of RAM I’d move the jumper
    for about 30sec-1min then move it back. The only thing I haven’t tried
    was removing the battery. Tonight I’m going to tear it down & put it
    together again to see if by chance the board is touching the case. I
    used paper washers on both sides of the screws when attaching the
    board.

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-Power-ftopict60009.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=303416
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > "Peter" <ivingtonAll_stRESS@fast24.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > In article
    > > <7_303344_dcdc72fa745a97fd31cfce5aa8d3364f@hardwareforumz.com>,
    > > UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com says...
    > > > Just finished assembly of my first system:
    > > > MSI K8T Pro Neo2-F
    > > > AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (venice core)
    > > > 2x512mb PC3200 Kington Value Ram
    > > > ATI 9600 Pro AGP card
    > > > Dynapower case 430W supply
    > > >
    > > > I?ve gone through the manual page by page, all connectors
    > are correct,
    > > > I?ve checked, double checked & triple checked all of them.
    > Add power
    > > > cable, turn on power supply & nothing... I?ve tried with
    > nothing but
    > > > RAM, the video card and processor, changed the RAM from
    > DIMM 1&3 to
    > > > DIMM 2&4, tried just one stick of RAM, tried with &
    > without the video
    > > > card. I disconnected the power from the board and jumpered
    > the power
    > > > connector very briefly (10-15 seconds) and the power
    > supply fan came
    > > > on when power was turned on. Power supply set at 115v.Any
    > ideas are
    > > > appreciated, going to play with it more tomorrow, got
    > frustrated and
    > > > quit to clear my head.
    > > >

    > > Could try clearing the cmos and resetting the BIOS.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Pete Ives
    > > Remove All_stRESS before sending me an email
    >
    > Try without the RAM, should beep code for no memory. Any
    > movement on CPU
    > fan? If no beeps, is motherboard, CPU or PSU. Can you borrow a
    > known good
    > PSU to test?
    > Mike.

    Thanks for all the input. The board is DOA, I checked it with a known
    good power supply with the board in the case and outside of the case
    and there was no life at all. Just got the RMA number from MSI today &
    will be shipping it off tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully it’s a pretty
    quick turn around

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-Power-ftopict60009.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=303948
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Suddenly, without warning, ssap1 exclaimed (05-Aug-05 6:36 AM):
    > Just finished assembly of my first system:
    > MSI K8T Pro Neo2-F
    > AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (venice core)
    > 2x512mb PC3200 Kington Value Ram
    > ATI 9600 Pro AGP card
    > Dynapower case 430W supply
    >
    > I’ve gone through the manual page by page, all connectors are correct,
    > I’ve checked, double checked & triple checked all of them. Add power
    > cable, turn on power supply & nothing... I’ve tried with nothing but
    > RAM, the video card and processor, changed the RAM from DIMM 1&3 to
    > DIMM 2&4, tried just one stick of RAM, tried with & without the video
    > card. I disconnected the power from the board and jumpered the power
    > connector very briefly (10-15 seconds) and the power supply fan came
    > on when power was turned on. Power supply set at 115v.Any ideas are
    > appreciated, going to play with it more tomorrow, got frustrated and
    > quit to clear my head.

    You probably know this, but I had someone recently come to me with this
    problem, and as it was their first install for a while, they didn't know
    they needed to install the 4-pin power connector as well as the larger
    one. Once that was plugged in, everything worked fine.

    This got me too, the first time I did install an ATX with that
    additional connector. Always been an AMD fan, and at first I just
    assumed that additional connector was a Pentium thing, until I actually
    looked at the board, after my new system failed to boot. DUH!

    Just a thought...

    jmc
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > Suddenly, without warning, ssap1 exclaimed (05-Aug-05 6:36
    > AM):
    > > Just finished assembly of my first system:
    > > MSI K8T Pro Neo2-F
    > > AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (venice core)
    > > 2x512mb PC3200 Kington Value Ram
    > > ATI 9600 Pro AGP card
    > > Dynapower case 430W supply
    > >
    > > I’ve gone through the manual page by page, all connectors
    > are correct,
    > > I’ve checked, double checked & triple checked all of them.
    > Add power
    > > cable, turn on power supply & nothing... I’ve tried with
    > nothing but
    > > RAM, the video card and processor, changed the RAM from DIMM
    > > DIMM 2&4, tried just one stick of RAM, tried with & without
    > the video
    > > card. I disconnected the power from the board and jumpered
    > the power
    > > connector very briefly (10-15 seconds) and the power supply
    > fan came
    > > on when power was turned on. Power supply set at 115v.Any
    > ideas are
    > > appreciated, going to play with it more tomorrow, got
    > frustrated and
    > > quit to clear my head.
    > >
    > You probably know this, but I had someone recently come to me
    > with this
    > problem, and as it was their first install for a while, they
    > didn't know
    > they needed to install the 4-pin power connector as well as
    > the larger
    > one. Once that was plugged in, everything worked fine.
    >
    > This got me too, the first time I did install an ATX with that
    >
    > additional connector. Always been an AMD fan, and at first I
    > just
    > assumed that additional connector was a Pentium thing, until I
    > actually
    > looked at the board, after my new system failed to boot. DUH!
    >
    > Just a thought...
    >
    > jmc

    Appreciate the help, I’ve tried that also. I checked the forums to see
    if anyone else had this problem. I took it to a friends house & pulled
    it from the case, we first double checked the case switch wiring then
    pulled 1 stick of RAM and the video card, then pulled all RAM and left
    just the processor. There was nothing, no system beeps, no flickering
    lights on the back. I disconnected both power connectors and briefly
    (10 seconds) jumpered the large one and the power supply fan came on.
    We turned off the computer he was using and connected the power supply
    to my board and again there was nothing. We tried using a small flat
    blade screwdriver to jumper the power switch pins per MSI online
    troubleshooting to rule out a bad case switch. We cleared the CMOS and
    removed the battery for 2-3 min. I just sent the board back to MSI
    today, not sure how soon it will come back. I’ve read good and bad
    about the MSI RMA dept.

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-Power-ftopict60009.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=304267

Homebuilt Hardware Power Supplies Systems