Water Cooling Newbie

Tim

I'm looking for recommendations to water cool a FX-55 and X850XT GPU in
a full tower case - Cooler Master CM Stacker. Kits are preferred to
buying individual parts. Currently using a Thermaltake Big Typhoon on
the CPU and an Artic Cooling ATI Silencer Rev. 5 on the GPU. Any
benefits to moving to H2O over what I have?

Also, the FX-55 is at full load running Boinc 24/7.

TIA,
Tim

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 21:44:16 -0400, Tim
<replytonewsgroup@notsender.net> wrote:

>I'm looking for recommendations to water cool a FX-55 and X850XT GPU in
>a full tower case - Cooler Master CM Stacker. Kits are preferred to
>buying individual parts. Currently using a Thermaltake Big Typhoon on
>the CPU and an Artic Cooling ATI Silencer Rev. 5 on the GPU. Any
>benefits to moving to H2O over what I have?
>
>Also, the FX-55 is at full load running Boinc 24/7.
>
>TIA,
>Tim

Is it instable?
Is it too loud?
Are you trying to overclock it (further?) ?

What do you hope to gain from water cooling?
Do you realize that water cooling does not eliminate need
for airflow on a video card or motherboard, because the GPU
and CPU aren't the only two parts producing heat?

What is the budget? A cheap water cooling kit may have no
benefit at all.

Tim

kony,

My main objective in building this system was to build the best and
quietest system I could. The system is perfectly stable and I'm not one
to overclock an $ 800.00 CPU. Besides using the Big Typhoon on the CPU
and the Artic Cooling fan on the GPU, I replaced all CoolerMaster fans
with SilenX fans making one of the quietest systems I've ever built. So
to that end, water cooling probably doesn't offer any benefits.

The follow up objective is the WOW factor, just to be able to say that
I'm running a water cooled system and to gain the experience of setting
one up. There is no side window - that side of the system is right up
against my desk and wouldn't be viewable any ways, so it's not for looks
either.

Yes, I do realize the need for airflow. I'd keep the 120mm fans (1 in
front, 1 in the rear) with a water cooled system. There is an 80mm blow
hole that I could eliminate depending where the water tank would sit.

While I can't say that money is no problem, I'd only be willing to spend
2 or 3 hundred dollars if there is no benefit.

Thanks for your reply,
Tim

kony wrote:

> Is it instable?
> Is it too loud?
> Are you trying to overclock it (further?) ?
>
> What do you hope to gain from water cooling?
> Do you realize that water cooling does not eliminate need
> for airflow on a video card or motherboard, because the GPU
> and CPU aren't the only two parts producing heat?
>
> What is the budget? A cheap water cooling kit may have no
> benefit at all.

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:01:28 -0400, Tim
<replytonewsgroup@notsender.net> wrote:

>kony,
>
>My main objective in building this system was to build the best and
>quietest system I could. The system is perfectly stable and I'm not one
>to overclock an $ 800.00 CPU. Besides using the Big Typhoon on the CPU
>and the Artic Cooling fan on the GPU, I replaced all CoolerMaster fans
>with SilenX fans making one of the quietest systems I've ever built. So
>to that end, water cooling probably doesn't offer any benefits.
>
>The follow up objective is the WOW factor, just to be able to say that
>I'm running a water cooled system and to gain the experience of setting
>one up. There is no side window - that side of the system is right up
>against my desk and wouldn't be viewable any ways, so it's not for looks
>either.

Personally if i were trying for a WOW factor, getting a
window in it would be the first priority, since you already
note it doesn't actually "need" water cooling.

>Yes, I do realize the need for airflow. I'd keep the 120mm fans (1 in
>front, 1 in the rear) with a water cooled system. There is an 80mm blow
>hole that I could eliminate depending where the water tank would sit.
>
>While I can't say that money is no problem, I'd only be willing to spend
>2 or 3 hundred dollars if there is no benefit.

After adding the window, put some neon around it then scrap
the whole case and get a clear one? If you really want an
extra-SPECIAL wow factor then use an acrylic case and make
the water flow down a thin sheet-like gap between a
two-layer side panel, sorta like a water fall.

Tim

Kony,

I can't put in a window that is viewable unless I redesign my entire
room and that isn't going to happen any time soon.

I have 3 systems in an acrylic drawer type case I made about 2 years
ago. I started out designing a single tower case but Home Depot
wouldn't sell me anything less than a 4' x 8' sheet of acrylic and all
the 'specialty' shops overcharged WAY TOO MUCH for what I had originally
designed. My design changed drastically with all the extra plastic. I
had to build a rack out of 1 inch square bar for the 3 drawers to slide
on. Each system has 3 blue LED fans, 1 in front and 2 in the rear. I'd
attach a pic but I don't think you can do that in a news group.

A year or 2 before that, I build a system where I cut out the Red Hat
logo for the side window, painted it red and black and put in a red cold
cathode. Learned a lot about what not to do with spray paint on that one.

I like the water fall idea but doesn't the water need to be contained in
a closed system? Otherwise I'd fear for air bubbles, evaporation or
contamination of the coolant. The Thermaltake Rocket percolates at the
top of the tower so I'm not sure. That thing would take a lot of
coolant though.

Thanks for the idea. I see what I can come up with.
Tim

kony wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:01:28 -0400, Tim
> <replytonewsgroup@notsender.net> wrote:
>

> Personally if i were trying for a WOW factor, getting a
> window in it would be the first priority, since you already
> note it doesn't actually "need" water cooling.
>
> After adding the window, put some neon around it then scrap
> the whole case and get a clear one? If you really want an
> extra-SPECIAL wow factor then use an acrylic case and make
> the water flow down a thin sheet-like gap between a
> two-layer side panel, sorta like a water fall.

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 21:38:17 -0400, Tim
<replytonewsgroup@notsender.net> wrote:

>Kony,
>
>I can't put in a window that is viewable unless I redesign my entire
>room and that isn't going to happen any time soon.

If you can't even see most of the system then perhaps there
is such a diminishing return on any changes that a wow
factor is best reserved for other room decor? There is
something to be said for unobtrustive systems you hardly
notice or think about.

>I have 3 systems in an acrylic drawer type case I made about 2 years
>ago. I started out designing a single tower case but Home Depot
>wouldn't sell me anything less than a 4' x 8' sheet of acrylic

If you're really into moddin' stuff, a whole sheet would be
the better long-term purchase.

>and all
>the 'specialty' shops overcharged WAY TOO MUCH for what I had originally
>designed. My design changed drastically with all the extra plastic. I
>had to build a rack out of 1 inch square bar for the 3 drawers to slide
>on. Each system has 3 blue LED fans, 1 in front and 2 in the rear. I'd
>attach a pic but I don't think you can do that in a news group.

Pics can be linked from a URL, many ISPs, or photosharing
type 'sites would work. Ironically enough, these days with
so many having static IP addresses (or at least semi-static)
it's not even hard to link from any local system you ow
providing a simple server is running on the target and
port-forwarded from a router.

It's true that custom designs cost a lot... it's the main
reason everyone uses cases more alike than different, that
the mass production lowers costs so much. It seems you were
going to extra lengths though, designing in the drawer
slides and likely other features, so wouldn't it tend to
raise costs even further?

>A year or 2 before that, I build a system where I cut out the Red Hat
>logo for the side window, painted it red and black and put in a red cold
>cathode. Learned a lot about what not to do with spray paint on that one.

What did you learn? Offhand one thing that comes to mind is
not to use ordinary spray-paint on exterior surfaces because
it comes off way too easily. I've never tried vinyl dye on
acrylic/other-clear materials though, wonder if it would be
more abrasion resistant.

>I like the water fall idea but doesn't the water need to be contained in
>a closed system?

Why wouldn't it be closed? Essentially all you'd need is to
create such an (almost) closed chambers with a plug at the
top, then when filled with water the air is displaced till
the water is up to the plug level, then it's plugged.
Certainly that's oversimplified.

>Otherwise I'd fear for air bubbles, evaporation or
>contamination of the coolant.

It would be relatively trivial to install a filter to remove
contaminants, even a cheap automotive type gas line filter
might suffice in some situations... but then again the
coolant will probably need be replaced periodically. Air
bubbles aren't really a problem though, all you need is a
pump with immersed intake, a reservoir... even so, what
would it hurt to have an occasional bubble or two, or even a
lot of them so long as the *coolant* flow rate is still high
enough?