MS Streets & Trips doesn't sunc to USB port

August 7, 2004 8:12:41 PM

I have a NAVMAN PiN Pocket PC, which has built-in GPS. It comes with
NAVMAN maps, but I'd like to use MS Street and Trips. The problem is
that it expects the pocket pc to use COM Port One or Two. But it uses
USB. Anyone know a workaround?
Harry
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 2:33:33 PM

Please clarify your reference to usb ...is that the connection that the
pocketpc uses to connect to the gps stream when you are mobile or are
you talking about the usb connection to the pc to sync maps?

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
August 8, 2004 4:04:20 PM

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
> Please clarify your reference to usb ...is that the connection that the
> pocketpc uses to connect to the gps stream when you are mobile or are
> you talking about the usb connection to the pc to sync maps?
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
I'm referring to the USB connection to the pc to sync maps. As I stated,
Streets and Maps only allows connection via port 1 or 2. The NAVMAN PiN
is a Pocket PC device with a buiilt in GPS.
Related resources
August 8, 2004 4:05:52 PM

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
> Please clarify your reference to usb ...is that the connection that the
> pocketpc uses to connect to the gps stream when you are mobile or are
> you talking about the usb connection to the pc to sync maps?
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
I'm referring to the USB connection to the pc to sync maps. As I stated,
Streets and Maps only allows connection via port 1 or 2. The NAVMAN PiN
is a Pocket PC device with a buiilt in GPS.
August 8, 2004 4:06:31 PM

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
> Please clarify your reference to usb ...is that the connection that the
> pocketpc uses to connect to the gps stream when you are mobile or are
> you talking about the usb connection to the pc to sync maps?
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
I'm referring to the USB connection to the pc to sync maps. As I stated,
Streets and Maps only allows connection via port 1 or 2. The NAVMAN PiN
is a Pocket PC device with a buiilt in GPS.
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 4:31:39 PM

"Harry" <harrytee@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I have a NAVMAN PiN Pocket PC, which has built-in GPS. It comes with
> NAVMAN maps, but I'd like to use MS Street and Trips. The problem is
> that it expects the pocket pc to use COM Port One or Two. But it uses
> USB. Anyone know a workaround?
> Harry

The map should be on your pda, not pc, for use.
How about buying a serial cable from your maker if you need one? That would
seem to work around your need for one.
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 5:00:52 PM

I don't know what you are talking about. As far as I remember you can simple
export maps to your Pocket PC thru one of the menus in Streets and Trips.
Then you have to also install Pocket Streets on PDA to use this maps.

It seems that you want to connect your PC to PDA as if it was a GPS
antenna - it won't work.

--

..: Jakub Kanczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl

I see your problem. Does the software that comes with the Navman give any
indication that it is using some virtual com port? Any settings options,
something like that? Most GPS setups transfer data in a serial stream over
some, virtual or real com port. Hopefully the Navman doesn't use some
special setup that is not available to other software.

It is possible that the navman software is using a virtual com port, but is
tying it up. If something has a comm port tied up, Pocket Streets won't show
it. If you have a sync port keyboard driver loaded for instance, Pocket
Streets won't show Comm 1. Is the Navman software possibly running? Is there
something in the startup folder that may be started that doesn't show up in
running programs?

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
> > Please clarify your reference to usb ...is that the connection that the
> > pocketpc uses to connect to the gps stream when you are mobile or are
> > you talking about the usb connection to the pc to sync maps?
> >
> > Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
> I'm referring to the USB connection to the pc to sync maps. As I stated,
> Streets and Maps only allows connection via port 1 or 2. The NAVMAN PiN
> is a Pocket PC device with a buiilt in GPS.
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 8:26:24 PM

Like Sven says...

In addition think there have been some postings on adding virtual com
port listings for pStreets using registry edits, so would suggest
googling plus searching this group using google groups.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!