Wireless Dial-Up to the Internet

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I have a notebook running XP Home. I have no need for a local network since
I am the only user. However I would like to connect to the Internet via
dialup/wireless as I use my laptop all over my home.

Can I purchase a wireless PCI card and use Windows 'Internet Connection
Sharing' to access the internet via dial-up? (No DSL in my neighborhood)

If this is possible could you also be so kind as to tell me a little bit
about exactly how I would set it up? Are there particular wireless PCI cards
I should look for?

Thank you in advance for any help.
--
Steve

>I have a notebook running XP Home. I have no need for a local network
>since
> I am the only user. However I would like to connect to the Internet via
> dialup/wireless as I use my laptop all over my home.
>
> Can I purchase a wireless PCI card and use Windows 'Internet Connection
> Sharing' to access the internet via dial-up? (No DSL in my neighborhood)
>
> If this is possible could you also be so kind as to tell me a little bit
> about exactly how I would set it up? Are there particular wireless PCI
> cards
> I should look for?
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.
> --
> Steve

PCI cards don't fit in notebooks. You'd need a PCMCIA card or USB dongle.

You could also use your cell phone as a modem for dialup-- but unless you
have a mighty big bucket of minutes, that would get expensive in a hurry.

Why not get cable broadband?

Doc

Maybe there is no cable broadband service in his neighborhood or town. Not everyone has access to
broadband...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> Maybe there is no cable broadband service in his neighborhood or town. Not
> everyone has access to broadband...

> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Maybe not in Oklahoma....but in the rest of the civilized world, they
generally do;-)

And why do you always top-post? I'd think an MVP would know better!

Doc

Personally I see nothing wrong with top posting...

Well, many rural areas in many states simply do not have broadband access. That even extends to some
cities and towns. You simply can not assume that everyone has access to broadband or has the ability
to pay for broadband even if they could get it or even wants broadband for whatever reason.

--

> Personally I see nothing wrong with top posting...

I can see that-- it's clear that you don't.

But the convention is to bottom post. Top posting makes a long thread about
impossible to follow. But I guess if what you have to contribute is
irrelevant , wrong or silly, it doesn't really matter.

Top posters remind me of adolescent guys who meet someone and shake with
their left hand, wear brown socks with a blue suit or eat their dessert
before their entree--- sure signs of residual rebellion against daddy;-)

Doc

>I have a notebook running XP Home. I have no need for a local network
>since
> I am the only user. However I would like to connect to the Internet via
> dialup/wireless as I use my laptop all over my home.
>
> Can I purchase a wireless PCI card and use Windows 'Internet Connection
> Sharing' to access the internet via dial-up? (No DSL in my neighborhood)
>
> If this is possible could you also be so kind as to tell me a little bit
> about exactly how I would set it up? Are there particular wireless PCI
> cards
> I should look for?
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.
> --
> Steve

Add Wireless Internet Anywhere, Instantly -
Even on Dialup!

http://www.wiflyer.com/StoreFront.bok

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail

Hi
Look at the second option in this page: http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

> I have a notebook running XP Home. I have no need for a local network since
> I am the only user. However I would like to connect to the Internet via
> dialup/wireless as I use my laptop all over my home.
>
> Can I purchase a wireless PCI card and use Windows 'Internet Connection
> Sharing' to access the internet via dial-up? (No DSL in my neighborhood)
>
> If this is possible could you also be so kind as to tell me a little bit
> about exactly how I would set it up? Are there particular wireless PCI cards
> I should look for?
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.
> --
> Steve

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Thank you Jack (MVP) and HillBilly Buddhist. I found you responses helpful.

I do not know if I am bottom posting or top posting as I have only used this
format twice before. So even though I found the other responses entertaining
they didn't help with my question except for the first one.

It appears I really need to study the posting rules/format/etiquette before
posting again.

Thank you again for your time and help, it is really appreciated by people
like myself that just do not know as much as they need to. I feel getting
quick guidance from knowledgable (experts) is an invaluable tool.

Regards
--
Steve

| Thank you Jack (MVP) and HillBilly Buddhist. I found you responses
helpful.

| I do not know if I am bottom posting or top posting as I have only used
this
| format twice before. So even though I found the other responses
entertaining
| they didn't help with my question except for the first one.
|
| It appears I really need to study the posting rules/format/etiquette
before
| posting again.
|
| Thank you again for your time and help, it is really appreciated by people
| like myself that just do not know as much as they need to. I feel getting
| quick guidance from knowledgable (experts) is an invaluable tool.
|
| Regards
| --
| Steve

Your welcome.

Don't worry about the self appointed room group moderators.

While it's true that there are form and etiquette specifically applicable to
Usenet posting, most of them are common sense "golden rule" guidelines one
would be expected to observe in polite society IRL as well as online.

The top/bottom posting debate began, I'm sure, shortly after the third
Usenet post and continues to this day. For every individual that thinks one
is correct there is another that disagrees. I've seen debates on the subject
go into hundreds of posts on threads that last weeks and usually degrade
into trading of disparaging comments regarding various (often maternal)
family members. :)

Personally I could care less as long as the post is polite, on topic,
concise and punctuated at least to a degree that makes it reasonably
readable. If I don't like a post for any reason I simply move on. I'm
responsible for teaching my children manners not Newsgroup posters.

You might find this useful. http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm (Yours was
fine BTW)

--
Doug

P.S. This is a bottom post. If it appeared above your text it would be a top
post.

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
> "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you Jack (MVP) and HillBilly Buddhist. I found you responses helpful.
>>
>> I do not know if I am bottom posting or top posting as I have only used this
>> format twice before. So even though I found the other responses entertaining
>> they didn't help with my question except for the first one.
>>
>> It appears I really need to study the posting rules/format/etiquette before
>> posting again.
>>
>> Thank you again for your time and help, it is really appreciated by people
>> like myself that just do not know as much as they need to. I feel getting
>> quick guidance from knowledgable (experts) is an invaluable tool.
>>
>> Regards
>> --
>> Steve
>
> Your welcome.
>
> Don't worry about the self appointed room group moderators.
>
> While it's true that there are form and etiquette specifically applicable to
> Usenet posting, most of them are common sense "golden rule" guidelines one
> would be expected to observe in polite society IRL as well as online.
>
> The top/bottom posting debate began, I'm sure, shortly after the third
> Usenet post and continues to this day. For every individual that thinks one
> is correct there is another that disagrees. I've seen debates on the subject
> go into hundreds of posts on threads that last weeks and usually degrade
> into trading of disparaging comments regarding various (often maternal)
> family members. :)
>
> Personally I could care less as long as the post is polite, on topic,
> concise and punctuated at least to a degree that makes it reasonably
> readable. If I don't like a post for any reason I simply move on. I'm
> responsible for teaching my children manners not Newsgroup posters.
>
> You might find this useful. http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm (Yours was
> fine BTW)

Top / Bottom... It can get confusing when there are top and bottom posts within
a thread. I think it best to continue the method chosen by first responder.