Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

I only find 10,000RPM hard disks with the SATA 150 connection, do they
come with Ultra ATA or Firewire or other by any chance?

"Pete" <Pete@how.com> wrote...
>I only find 10,000RPM hard disks with the SATA 150 connection, do they
> come with Ultra ATA or Firewire or other by any chance?

SCSI -- also 15,000 RPM.

I haven't seen a Firewire - SATA external enclosure yet.

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 03:18:27 GMT, Pete <Pete@how.com> wrote:

>I only find 10,000RPM hard disks with the SATA 150 connection, do they
>come with Ultra ATA or Firewire or other by any chance?

There are none for either, but why would you want to pay a
premium for a 10K drive to put it on a slow interface like
Firewire?

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote...

> There are none for either, but why would you want to pay a
> premium for a 10K drive to put it on a slow interface like
> Firewire?

Hmmm... Nominal Xfer rate for a single 10K Raptor is around 40-50 MB/sec.
Advertised Xfer rate for Firewire is 400 Mbps or approx. 40 MB/sec. If he has
the new 800 mbps Firewire, it is faster than the Raptor...

In article <n35of1hll5j4o4ckjseo9c06ht05v4fuog@4ax.com>, Pete says...
> I only find 10,000RPM hard disks with the SATA 150 connection, do they
> come with Ultra ATA or Firewire or other by any chance?

No.

--
Conor

If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
music.

No, they do not. (Except as older SCSI drives, which will not help you.)

--
DaveW

"Pete" <Pete@how.com> wrote in message
>I only find 10,000RPM hard disks with the SATA 150 connection, do they
> come with Ultra ATA or Firewire or other by any chance?

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 07:57:28 -0700, "John Weiss"
<jrweiss98155(at)@[nospam]comcast(dot).net> wrote:

>"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote...
>>
>> There are none for either, but why would you want to pay a
>> premium for a 10K drive to put it on a slow interface like
>> Firewire?
>
>Hmmm... Nominal Xfer rate for a single 10K Raptor is around 40-50 MB/sec.
>Advertised Xfer rate for Firewire is 400 Mbps or approx. 40 MB/sec. If he has
>the new 800 mbps Firewire, it is faster than the Raptor...

"Nominal" is pretty meaningless here. A Raptor can and does
transfer over 65MB/s in many typical short transfers and the
high RPM / cost is mostly to reduce latency. Using an
additional bus like firewire limits the benefit.

You try to argue a downgraded transfer for the HDD but then
only the optimal theoretical of a bus speed throughput, "on
paper" transfer for firewire. You haven't actually
benchmarked firewire on externals have you? There is far
more to performance than merely the clock rate of one bus
along the transfer chain.

"John Weiss" <jrweiss98155(at)@[nospam]comcast(dot).net> wrote in message news:A56dnTG1n7LRimHfRVn-tQ@comcast.com...
> "Pete" <Pete@how.com> wrote...
> >I only find 10,000RPM hard disks with the SATA 150 connection,
> > do they come with Ultra ATA or Firewire or other by any chance?
>
> SCSI -- also 15,000 RPM.
>
> I haven't seen a Firewire - SATA external enclosure yet.

These people seem to have some devices that support SATA,
although maybe not the type of case you're looking for:
http://www.wiebetech.com/home.php