Will two DVD drives allow me to watch DVDs from two regions?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

If I put a second DVD drive in my machine, will I be able to watch
Zone 1 DVDs on one drive, and Zone 2 DVDs on the other? Where is the
limitation on zone selections and changes enforced? Is it in the
drives themselves, or is it in the drivers, or in some other software,
or what? I want to be able to _permanently_ have the option of
watching both Zone 1 and Zone 2 DVDs on the machine.

More about will drives watch dvds regions
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > If I put a second DVD drive in my machine, will I be able to watch
    > Zone 1 DVDs on one drive, and Zone 2 DVDs on the other? Where is the
    > limitation on zone selections and changes enforced? Is it in the
    > drives themselves, or is it in the drivers, or in some other software,
    > or what? I want to be able to _permanently_ have the option of
    > watching both Zone 1 and Zone 2 DVDs on the machine.
    >
    > --
    > Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.

    It's possible that there may be a firmware upgrade for your DVD drive to
    make it region free. Failing that using software like DVD Genie will
    probably do the trick.

    SteveH
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Mxsmanic wrote:
    > If I put a second DVD drive in my machine, will I be able to watch
    > Zone 1 DVDs on one drive, and Zone 2 DVDs on the other? Where is the
    > limitation on zone selections and changes enforced? Is it in the
    > drives themselves, or is it in the drivers, or in some other software,
    > or what? I want to be able to _permanently_ have the option of
    > watching both Zone 1 and Zone 2 DVDs on the machine.
    >
    > --
    > Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.

    A lot of DVD backup software will make it region free in the process.
    Check out: http://www.videohelp.com

    Clyde
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    SteveH writes:

    > It's possible that there may be a firmware upgrade for your DVD drive to
    > make it region free. Failing that using software like DVD Genie will
    > probably do the trick.

    So the zone checking is done inside the drive? Which means if I have
    two drives I can just leave one set to Zone 1 and another set to Zone
    2?

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Mxsmanic wrote:
    > SteveH writes:
    >

    >>It's possible that there may be a firmware upgrade for your DVD drive to
    >>make it region free. Failing that using software like DVD Genie will
    >>probably do the trick.
    >

    > So the zone checking is done inside the drive? Which means if I have
    > two drives I can just leave one set to Zone 1 and another set to Zone
    > 2?

    My drive is region free so it works fine for me), but as an added
    assurance I have set WinDVD to region one, and WMP to region two. Both
    seem to work fine with movies.

    As an aside, if this region enforcement continues and broadband speeds
    continue to increase, pirating is going to be a real issue.
    --
    MCR
    MAME(tm) - History In The Making

    "MCR" <mark.coleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Mxsmanic wrote:
    >> SteveH writes:
    >>

    >>>It's possible that there may be a firmware upgrade for your DVD drive to
    >>>make it region free. Failing that using software like DVD Genie will
    >>>probably do the trick.
    >>

    >> So the zone checking is done inside the drive? Which means if I have
    >> two drives I can just leave one set to Zone 1 and another set to Zone
    >> 2?
    >>

    > My drive is region free so it works fine for me), but as an added
    > assurance I have set WinDVD to region one, and WMP to region two. Both
    > seem to work fine with movies.

    where are you setting 'region' in WMP? (windows media player?)

    > As an aside, if this region enforcement continues and broadband speeds
    > continue to increase, pirating is going to be a real issue.
    > --
    > MCR
    > MAME(tm) - History In The Making
    > www.pleasure-dome.org.uk
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    You can use DVD Region Killer......

    " DVD Region Killer is a Software, that enables you to play DVD titles made
    for different regions on your PC, without the hassle to switch the region of
    your Windows operating system and / or the region of your DVD player
    software back and forth. "

    You can switch the region on your DVD drive itself also. I made mine region
    free. Sorry, cant remember how. Have a look on the Manufacturer website !

    JB

    "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > If I put a second DVD drive in my machine, will I be able to watch
    > Zone 1 DVDs on one drive, and Zone 2 DVDs on the other? Where is the
    > limitation on zone selections and changes enforced? Is it in the
    > drives themselves, or is it in the drivers, or in some other software,
    > or what? I want to be able to _permanently_ have the option of
    > watching both Zone 1 and Zone 2 DVDs on the machine.
    >
    > --
    > Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    JAD wrote:
    > "MCR" <mark.coleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Mxsmanic wrote:

    >>>So the zone checking is done inside the drive? Which means if I have
    >>>two drives I can just leave one set to Zone 1 and another set to Zone
    >>>2?
    >>>

    >>My drive is region free so it works fine for me), but as an added
    >>assurance I have set WinDVD to region one, and WMP to region two. Both
    >>seem to work fine with movies.
    >

    > where are you setting 'region' in WMP? (windows media player?)

    Well thats a damn good point. In WMP 9 it was under DVD controls, but I
    cant even find a control panel in WMP 10!

    --
    MCR
    MAME(tm) - History In The Making
    www.pleasure-dome.org.uk
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Mxsmanic wrote:
    > If I put a second DVD drive in my machine, will I be able to watch
    > Zone 1 DVDs on one drive, and Zone 2 DVDs on the other? Where is the
    > limitation on zone selections and changes enforced? Is it in the
    > drives themselves, or is it in the drivers, or in some other software,
    > or what? I want to be able to _permanently_ have the option of
    > watching both Zone 1 and Zone 2 DVDs on the machine.
    >
    > --
    > Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.

    Download the freeware program DVD43, then you can do both with one DVD
    drive.

    Cheers,

    Ari

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/