Win 7 install error A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMZsys

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
WTF!!!!!! I have the 64 bit win 7 home prem CD I keep getting stuck on this screen I have formatted to a clean drive (seagate 40G) HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jean Castello

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I've found several questions about this issue, yet not a single good answer. I am also having this problem - have dealt with it for two full days and it is very frustrating. I have been building, repairing my own computers since the 80's and am a programmer web developer, so while not a computer build guru, I'm not exactly a dummy either. Unable to clone due to system drive errors, I've decided to install onto a new drive from scratch, yet after eight different dvd drives - the last two brand new! - I still get this message - a required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing. Windows boots up from the drive just fine, and gives the menu options, but after choosing to install, I get this message. Why would it need a driver for a drive it just booted up from? And what the $#^^Y can I do about it???

USAFRet

Titan

I had this exact same issue in December. It turned out to be an incomplete/corrupted d/l of the install disk.
If it is failing across that many devices, it is likely the disk, not the hardware.

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Download SATA drivers from your motherboard manufacturers website. Extract them and put on a USB stick.

When the error message occurs click Load drivers and point it to the files on the USB stick.

It's one of those annoyingly confusing error messages. The problem isn't with the CD/DVD drive it's with the SATA port it connects to.

Alternatively you could bypass this problem by installing Windows from a USB. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/a/install-windows-7-usb.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.